Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article:

BBM

The K9 team had to rely on its experience of nearly 200 search and rescue missions because the Laundrie family did not supply anything with Brian’s scent on it, Hadsell said.
I mean, that's no surprise. The authorities conducting the investigation have items for tracking his scent, but they aren't going to hand them over to private groups.

We all know the family isn't going to do so either.

I wonder if they are comforted a bit by thinking that he is deceased

Quote RSBM.
Despite what appears to be a lack of empathy and heart from them toward Gabby and her family, I have no doubt if BL is ever located deceased, his parents will be grieving severely, as much as any parent.

I also think they are trying to "save" him from prison.
I feel they believe the only way "out" of this nightmare for them would be if he's not charged with a violent crime or is acquitted. If he dies, they'll suffer.
(I don't have to like them to believe they love their children as much as the rest of us..)

Perhaps but a parent would normally want their missing kid to be found one way or another. For closure … for so many reasons. Anyway I don’t think we can trust anything the L family or their lawyer says.
I am curious to see how this unfolds. It may be that after all of this is said and done, they will be the model of how to behave. Full cooperation with the LE & FBI under the supervision of an attorney and zero cooperation with the media and the public. And it may backfire utterly and completely. It is most curious. MOO.

IMO: This Florida Law isn't relevant anymore. It shouldn't apply anymore since it is now a Federal Investigation.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

IMO I don't think we know this yet. I just don't think we have enough information to make this determination. Remember, that post is discussing the parent's potential exposure here, if at all, not Brian's. And for this we have to go back in time. In MOO, this depends on a number of facts that we don't know.

For instance, if the parents are found to have lied to Federal LE before or after federal law enforcement became involved, then IMOO easy, federal law. If they are found to have lied to NP Police prior to any fed LE involvement, IMOO possible Florida law. If they started to give information to Fed LE after FBI became involved, but initially lied to NPPD, then probably still Florida. But, if their lie to NPPD impacted FBI (which from the extensive reserve search we know it has), fed may be able to tack onto the NPPD lie, if there was one. MOO

Point by all of the above being that IMO, I just don't think we know enough yet to make this determination. We do not know what they have told fed authorities, if anything. Maybe they haven't spoken a single word to them. It is possible that the last time they spoke with LE outside of reporting him to NPPD was merely an acknowledgement that the FBI would be returning to gather more evidence. We just don't know. MOO.

So, would the forensic examination from the autopsy and where Gabby was found be looking for ANY DNA that didn't belong to either Gabby or BL? In other words to eliminate the potential argument that a 3rd party was involved in Gabby's death. Since Gabby and BL were living together out of the van it could be argued by the defense that of course BL's DNA was found on her body or clothing. I'm thinking ahead to a potential trial and am concerned the defense explaining away BL's DNA to the jury. Any thoughts? If it's already been discussed I may have missed it.

This is very interesting, I’ve never heard of this man. Also from the page you link:

Knight however resented being compared to Henry David Thoreau, instead calling him a dilettante because Thoreau only lived for two years in his Walden Pond cabin and his mother did his laundry, saying he was "just a show-off who went out there and wrote a book saying "Look how great I am.""[12]

I’m going to guess that BL is more like Thoreau and less like CTK. He’s going to resurface sooner rather than later without help. And I do think he is getting plenty of help.

MOO
I don't think BL is like either CTK or Thoreau. Neither of those men were suspect in the homicide of a young woman. BL deserves none of the romance or awe attached to the lore of living in the wilderness. He's a fugitive on the run and most likely a murderer. AJMO

It isn't if they were doing normal "library things".

They weren't.

They didn't touch or look at a single book, so what were they doing in there!?

They could have been killing time in an air conditioned place in which it would be frowned upon to loudly harass or question them.

Why would they need to do that in the library when they have a 2+ hour drive each way to get there? Why not a library closer to home? Lol.

I thought I read that they drove to Orlando to meet with their lawyer, who'd flown in from the northeast. There certainly are a lot of law offices near where they were in Orlando. It seems likely they were killing time prior to a meeting of some sort.

JMO

I agree that this seems quite - even most - likely, though I don't know who makes appointments and doesn't either have a waiting room or (in the scenario of visiting a lawyer or investigator) wouldn't clear space (time and physical) on both sides of a scheduled appointment in a very high-profile case. But again, your simple explanation seems very reasonable, and barring spy-novel levels of cloak & dagger sophistication (by seemingly otherwise unremarkable people), highly likely.

Q - was there anything reported (and verified) on where they went after the short stop at the library?
I am wondering, since the FBI assisted in this trip, if exactly what happened was exactly what was planned and controllable.

I wondered if the FBI protected them when they went into the attorney's office and ensured that no one from the public interfered or took pictures. There seems to be an incredible effort at maintaining, controlling and protecting the flow of any and all information related to this case from the FBI and/or attorney. MOO!

Apologies for bringing up the camera footage again, and also if this has already been discussed (I really have tried to read all of the threads, but that’s a lot of screen time).

I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed something that has always bothered me about the Moab stop. I have now watched the first one three times, and the second one twice. Besides the obvious, I was having a sense that something else was off, and it finally just hit me today.

when the police (in my opinion very aggressively) explain to them the law and that “the aggressor“ has to be cited but not necessarily taken to jail, they do explain that it comes with a no contact order. From there the discussion goes in to who will stay where. Brian immediately suggests that he could camp, and asks them to take him into the park. The police explain that that is not a great alternative, because he would never make it back to town to fill out paperwork reversing the no contact order before the police station closed, and then he and Gabby would not be able to reunite until at least Monday. So, one officer goes about trying to arrange a hotel room for BL through a domestic violence nonprofit (and as far as I can tell, on that organization’s dime).

Then, the one officer talks to a supervisor, they discuss amongst themselves, one officer goes to ask GP about her intent, and they decide not to cite anyone but call it a mental health event, and still separate them (making the separation, if I remember correctly, not a legal requirement but rather a very strong suggestion—no citation=no no contact order).
IMO It is just very odd that they still take him to the hotel, paid for by DV org, considering they basically took back their original call of “it’s a DV situation and we are citing her.”
Additionally, in that instance, he could have camped because he wouldn’t have had to make it back to town to fill out paperwork (bc no citation).
I guess we could argue that it was all for simplicity, since at that point the room had likely already been booked, but it is still just really odd to me and rubs me the wrong way. MOO

not saying anything about LE’s handling of the situation here…just that the entire thing was very odd to me

IMO I don't think we know this yet. I just don't think we have enough information to make this determination. Remember, that post is discussing the parent's potential exposure here, if at all, not Brian's. And for this we have to go back in time. In MOO, this depends on a number of facts that we don't know.

For instance, if the parents are found to have lied to Federal LE before or after federal law enforcement became involved, then IMOO easy, federal law. If they are found to have lied to NP Police prior to any fed LE involvement, IMOO possible Florida law. If they started to give information to Fed LE after FBI became involved, but initially lied to NPPD, then probably still Florida. But, if their lie to NPPD impacted FBI (which from the extensive reserve search we know it has), fed may be able to tack onto the NPPD lie, if there was one. MOO

Point by all of the above being that IMO, I just don't think we know enough yet to make this determination. We do not know what they have told fed authorities, if anything. Maybe they haven't spoken a single word to them. It is possible that the last time they spoke with LE outside of reporting him to NPPD was merely an acknowledgement that the FBI would be returning to gather more evidence. We just don't know. MOO.

IMO, it's a mute point. The FBI said they have been unwilling to cooperate. I don't think they have told them anything other than BL is missing. Not saying and telling lies are two completely different things. Short of a recorded conversation, I'm not sure how anyone would prove They lied about the Reserve.

I had initially thought BL panicked, fled home, and just went with the easiest option for hiding. At this point, evading multiple federal law enforcement agencies for weeks, I’m wondering if I didn’t give him enough credit for planning. I’m also wondering if he thought a plan out, if his family members are involved… I feel like a panicky kid would turn themselves into a nation-wide manhunt. So I think I need to re-evaluate. At this point, I see evidence based on his actions that he’s going to try to evade LE and I think it’s very likely his family helped him. JMO.

So how calculating could he actually be? I’ve found most of his available SM to be derivative, but is he more intelligent than I’m giving him credit for? With his parents not begging for him to come home, is this whole family more naturally criminal than I’ve given them credit for?

I think BL is of above average intelligence and considers himself self-educated and smart. I don't share the view that he thinks he's smarter than everyone else - he knows he's not. He's a close observer (and disliker) of humans, from what I see in the bodycam video. He knows how to adopt the proper stance for the situation. I doubt he's had many run-ins with police, so it's not like he's had practice.

There are so many possibilities about why his parents aren't coming forward, but they all boil down to: "The parents do not expect to ever see him again."

So, where is Brian?
Brian is on his way to a place where he's isolated and surrounded by natural beauty. The broad vista is life affirming and supportive, without agenda and comforting. No back talk. No crying and whimpering. Totally self-supporting. Nature is like that - people are not. You need not subtract from yourself to please it. It demands nothing from you.
He's been supplied. By who? Who knows...but supplies dwindle. Fish? Sure. Trout or bass, and native herbs. All do-able until late Fall when the plants go to seed, and Winter when they disappear under the snow, the lake freezes and the fish are under a foot of ice - the moment when the novice liberant discovers hunger and interdependence. You DO need human beings. You DO depend on others to help. But who? Where? The past you chucked to live the dream comes swimming back and bites you on the *advertiser censored**. The FBI, every park ranger, every camper, every hunter, every hiker, every beat cop knows your face. So, its theft - if you can find it to do it.

Maybe, a nice, warm place. The heck with Florida. To hell with anywhere that experiences a white Christmas. You've got surviving to do. Some place that's temperate during the Winter with lakes, fish, edible plants, campers you can accost in the night for jelly sandwiches, or hopefully, tofu. Maybe, a little town nearby would be a good source for...whatever. Once you start killing birds for supper, the philosophy of not hurting nature goes out the window. That's worse than saying you're preserving the earth while you're cruising around it sputtering fossil fuel emissions from the back end of your mobile palace. Its going to come down to detestable compromises - the chiseling away of body and mind.

I believe Brian will be found out, the already dissolving dream will be vanquished and his coveted solitude will be lived in a cell, not on a cliff overlooking a verdant, all forgiving, valley of calm.

MOO

Just wanted to say that I find your posts valuable and that you are bringing a realistic perspective to the problems of this case. I totally agree about the nature (and will add that the fringes of all the Western NP's are filled with what are basically homeless people - who work in so-called "gig" jobs and camp on people's property/break into cabins/live in tents, etc.) Tourists leave SO much gear in dumpsters or just at the curb (near motels) in the gateway towns. Since these people are mostly solo males, they have a kind of...solidarity? They don't turn each other in. They do get shot breaking into places, sometimes, but they are rarely found dead from the elements.

In the Sierra, all you have to do in a NP to get food is open one of the hundreds of communal bear boxes at any trailhead and help yourself. I've seen people do it. I've interviewed people who did it (and there seem to be some norms - you don't take a bunch of stuff, you take less perishable "junk").

The West Coast (particularly Oregon and Washington right now) are perfect for that lifestyle.

Fortunately, you are also right about there being some degree of...watching...of these people. More cabin owners are getting cameras. LE is still scant in these regions, but much of it is federal and the fire starting behavior of these "homeless by choice in the mountains" people is of grave concern. And in the NP's and NF's, I believe they will remember his face - at least until the next crop of young employees take the place of the ones there right now. BL will also age. He's been indoors a lot, he will acquire the weathered look of the outdoor life.

The only thing Nature demands is scrupulous attention to its own laws, like the law of gravity and the laws of thermodynamics. Very predictable, unlike people.

It isn't if they were doing normal "library things".

They weren't.

They didn't touch or look at a single book, so what were they doing in there!?
Hiding from the press, lol. But the press was in there anyway...to photograph them. The librarians would ask loud talkers to leave, if that is still a thing, in libraries! ( I have noticed in my little village library a lot more talking out loud than from back in my childhood and college days!) jmo

So, where is Brian?
Brian is on his way to a place where he's isolated and surrounded by natural beauty. The broad vista is life affirming and supportive, without agenda and comforting. No back talk. No crying and whimpering. Totally self-supporting. Nature is like that - people are not. You need not subtract from yourself to please it. It demands nothing from you.
He's been supplied. By who? Who knows...but supplies dwindle. Fish? Sure. Trout or bass, and native herbs. All do-able until late Fall when the plants go to seed, and Winter when they disappear under the snow, the lake freezes and the fish are under a foot of ice - the moment when the novice liberant discovers hunger and interdependence. You DO need human beings. You DO depend on others to help. But who? Where? The past you chucked to live the dream comes swimming back and bites you on the *advertiser censored**. The FBI, every park ranger, every camper, every hunter, every hiker, every beat cop knows your face. So, its theft - if you can find it to do it.

Maybe, a nice, warm place. The heck with Florida. To hell with anywhere that experiences a white Christmas. You've got surviving to do. Some place that's temperate during the Winter with lakes, fish, edible plants, campers you can accost in the night for jelly sandwiches, or hopefully, tofu. Maybe, a little town nearby would be a good source for...whatever. Once you start killing birds for supper, the philosophy of not hurting nature goes out the window. That's worse than saying you're preserving the earth while you're cruising around it sputtering fossil fuel emissions from the back end of your mobile palace. Its going to come down to detestable compromises - the chiseling away of body and mind.

I believe Brian will be found out, the already dissolving dream will be vanquished and his coveted solitude will be lived in a cell, not on a cliff overlooking a verdant, all forgiving, valley of calm.
MOO
I am a bit spell-bound by the way you spin prose. Most grateful that you are here and that we get a chance to not just read your writing, but soak it up, bask in it and experience something so beautifully expressed in the midst of such tragedy. Thank you, and I agree with another person that wrote here, please don't stop. It is a bittersweet therapy or sorts. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay