Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, all. I'm new in these parts and apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong way -- or in the wrong place.

Please forgive me for piping up as a newcomer instead of just staying mum and lurking like a normal person, but I created an account expressly to make an impassioned plea for something I've found missing from much of the internet discussion and media coverage that considers Brian Laundrie's options as a fugitive.

Namely, historical precedent.

What do I mean? Pundits say that Laundrie's only option is to hide out in nature; that even there he can't survive for long; that as ‘normal’ people, neither he nor his parents can pull off a long-term-hiding scenario; that the post-9/11 world is too vigilant for Laundrie to leave the country successfully; etc.

Yet, such arguments make me think of:

Precedent #1: With less than 3 days of lead-time, Alex "Preppy Rapist" Kelly's parents managed to help him jump bail and escape from Connecticut to Europe for 7 years – all of them spent living in reasonable comfort with an assumed name and faked ID papers. Although Kelly earned income as a popular worker on the European ski resort circuit throughout the period, his parents also funneled him money -- through a system so well-constructed that neither U.S. LE nor Interpol could crack it.

But expert detective work eventually ended Kelly's 7 years on the lam, right? Nope. As you doubtless recall, LE hadn't a clue where Kelly was. He was caught only after his parents failed to destroy photos they'd recklessly made and retained after a holiday visit to Kelly overseas.

Precedent #2: Although I've sadly suspected since the outset of Brian's odyssey that his parents wittingly sent LE on a snipe hunt in Carlton Reserve -- and I feel much the same way about the De Soto Park 'lead' -- Eric "Abortion Clinic Bomber" Rudolph's 5-year fugitive sojourn in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains gives some credence to the viability of an Appalachian hideout for Brian, per his much-discussed love of the AT.

Indeed, Rudolph's case proves that it is not only possible to survive in the Southern U.S.'s mountain ranges, but to do so indefinitely -- especially if one has help. And that, to me, is the only stumbling block for Brian: while anti-abortion, anti-government sympathizers fed, hid, and otherwise helped Rudolph, folks ticked off about Brian's widely-publicized "stupid Southerners" quip in a Wyoming bar in August are unlikely to roll out the red carpet.

And, as you guys doubtless know better than most, sheer serendipity played an even larger role in LE's apprehension of Rudolph than Kelly. Although LE were uncertain of Rudolph's whereabouts, one of his main protectors died unexpectedly in his 5th year as a fugitive, forcing Rudolph to venture out of the mountains for provisions. He was caught rummaging through a dumpster for food.

Finally, the post-9/11 vigilance thing? When folks say there's no way that Laundrie could make it past screeners to board a plane or cruise ship, I consider that just recently, a group of UK high school girls -- none of them older than 17, IIRC -- managed to get the requisite papers and fly from England to the Middle East to join an extremist group, despite the UK's robust pre-flight screening and the girls’ lack of documented parental consent.

So if historical precedent augurs future possibilities, then Laundrie could be gone for a very, very long time – and just might be found in surprisingly distant surroundings when/if he is found. (Just MOO.)

[ETA: Fixed age reference.]

Yes. BL uses the same home address as his parents, and was known to be staying/sleeping there. Without explanation, he goes for a day hike and does not return. They wait, do not hear from him, become fearful for many reasons and call police. He was, at that point, missing from his home address and incommunicado with all known friends and family. So naturally, LE would take a missing persons report.

Everything else you're hypothesizing could also be true. I can add some more. They might not have had to hire professionals, they may have used friends and family members. The goal of the subterfuge would be to make LE think he perished in the swamp or killed himself.

For all we know, he walked rapidly along the path beneath the power lines to the other side and hopped in someone's car. Made a stop at a prearranged hotel (car driver has the key), changes his appearance, is taken to a harbor, where someone has a boat.

Pleasure cruise, hitting a port in a place where a pleasure craft would spend a day or three at harbor, having a BBQ (no one officially goes ashore, it's like camping), but chosen for reasons known only to the organizers of this escape.

Or...BL could have managed quite a bit on his own (which I think was more his style). By walking a fair distance without being seen, and then staging a US based disappearance.

It's interesting that his parents say they think he's still alive. They know him better than we do.

In that case, I'll imagine he's heading back out west, perhaps with a vehicle procured by family. He won't go to the AT, he can read. And he won't go too far north (soon it will be too cold). He's seen some of the most wide open spaces, and so many styles of living on the road he could try. Wants to go it alone.

Exactly. There are many explanations for why his parents called LE too anyone with a mind willing to see them, so I never understand why so many people think there can only be one explanation for any action.

Yes, it would be interesting to see if the Ls have withdrawn or transferred a large amount of money out of their accounts recently that could have been passed on to a third party so the third party could send it to BL. Follow the money! IMO.
I bet they are watching money going out from business as well. There are a whole lot of moving parts to this investigation. Imo

yes it is. Thats what I meant that LE hasn't really spent an extra $1.5 million on the search. They have simply reallocated most of the $1.5 mil. There will be some charges that wouldn't have been made without the search, but most aren't affecting the overall budget.

MOO And another part of government is that the money spent isn't really coming out of the personal pocket of anyone involved. Its coming out of their budget, which isn't the same thing. I have seen a fair share of projects continue on their own momentum long after the need for the project had evaporated.

Agree to all'at!

He changed his mind about hitchhiking home. Was afraid a camper would find Gabby's dead body. He didn't want to be picked up by the cops on the road with his thumb sticking out.
The van offered him shelter and a speedy trip home.
HMM. Do you think her body was initially in the van and B moved the body to its final location? B would have been better off locking the van and continuing his journey, but I suppose lack of funds prevented that and thats why he went home.

My point was that if you're going to go with this idea of a grand premeditated plan (the comment to which I replied), he could have set up any number of decoys and real escape plans PRIOR (premeditation as described by that comment) to anyone even knowing she was dead.

To be clear: my perception of things is that he killed her, but that if it was premeditated, it was not likely something he planned for weeks in advance, bc someone doing that would either have found a convoluted way to a remote place, or they would have arranged it so that they could (they hope) continue living their life as before.
Also, he would have made sure of his escape and had the funds in place to do so. I also do not think that B planned it. I think it was an escalation of the underlying tension in that relationship.

Interesting!

IIRC the Laundrie lawyer said that the FBI had returned to the Laundrie house to collect items for "DNA testing", and I know a few of us speculated in here that it might be for a scent for the dogs. Clearly that wasn't the case then, IMO!

A search warrant would have got LE the items they needed.
MO

ETA they should have got items of his from the first search warrant. Hard to believe they didn’t.

Last edited:
Greetings, all. I'm new in these parts and apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong way -- or in the wrong place.

Please forgive me for piping up as a newcomer instead of just staying mum and lurking like a normal person, but I created an account expressly to make an impassioned plea for something I've found missing from much of the internet discussion and media coverage that considers Brian Laundrie's options as a fugitive.

Namely, historical precedent.

What do I mean? Pundits say that Laundrie's only option is to hide out in nature; that even there he can't survive for long; that as ‘normal’ people, neither he nor his parents can pull off a long-term-hiding scenario; that the post-9/11 world is too vigilant for Laundrie to leave the country successfully; etc.

Yet, such arguments make me think of:

Precedent #1: With less than 3 days of lead-time, Alex "Preppy Rapist" Kelly's parents managed to help him jump bail and escape from Connecticut to Europe for 7 years – all of them spent living in reasonable comfort with an assumed name and faked ID papers. Although Kelly earned income as a popular worker on the European ski resort circuit throughout the period, his parents also funneled him money -- through a system so well-constructed that neither U.S. LE nor Interpol could crack it.

But expert detective work eventually ended Kelly's 7 years on the lam, right? Nope. As you doubtless recall, LE hadn't a clue where Kelly was. He was caught only after his parents failed to destroy photos they'd recklessly made and retained after a holiday visit to Kelly overseas.

Precedent #2: Although I've sadly suspected since the outset of Brian's odyssey that his parents wittingly sent LE on a snipe hunt in Carlton Reserve -- and I feel much the same way about the De Soto Park 'lead' -- Eric "Abortion Clinic Bomber" Rudolph's 5-year fugitive sojourn in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains gives some credence to the viability of an Appalachian hideout for Brian, per his much-discussed love of the AT.

Indeed, Rudolph's case proves that it is not only possible to survive in the Southern U.S.'s mountain ranges, but to do so indefinitely -- especially if one has help. And that, to me, is the only stumbling block for Brian: while anti-abortion, anti-government sympathizers fed, hid, and otherwise helped Rudolph, folks ticked off about Brian's widely-publicized "stupid Southerners" quip in a Wyoming bar in August are unlikely to roll out the red carpet.

And, as you guys doubtless know better than most, sheer serendipity played an even larger role in LE's apprehension of Rudolph than Kelly. Although LE were uncertain of Rudolph's whereabouts, one of his main protectors died unexpectedly in his 5th year as a fugitive, forcing Rudolph to venture out of the mountains for provisions. He was caught rummaging through a dumpster for food.

Finally, the post-9/11 vigilance thing? When folks say there's no way that Laundrie could make it past screeners to board a plane or cruise ship, I consider that just recently, a group of UK high school girls -- none of them older than 17, IIRC -- managed to get the requisite papers and fly from England to the Middle East to join an extremist group, despite the UK's robust pre-flight screening and the girls’ lack of documented parental consent.

So if historical precedent augurs future possibilities, then Laundrie could be gone for a very, very long time – and just might be found in surprisingly distant surroundings when/if he is found. (Just MOO.)

[ETA: Fixed age reference.]
Party pooper. Just kidding. Great first post. Welcome !

I don't know. They either have enough evidence to arrest him for murder or they don't. If they do find B and question him, they may not get any answers at all if he has a lawyer.

I can't understand all this chasing around for the fraud charges only though.

That's not how it works. Once they charge him murder, he and his attorneys get all the evidence. And if fugitives know the evidence that LE has before they're caught, they can put forth a story in their own defense which is often lies/half-truths aimed at exonerating them, given that set of evidence.

Today's investigations in the US are very tight-lipped regarding revealing evidence to POI's.

It's obvious that they aren't going to such great lengths over financial fraud. Everyone who is paying attention knows that he is a POI in a murder case. And now he's broken the law - perfect, so far. Except that they haven't nabbed him.

He went missing 4 days (or so) before Gabby's body was found. Eventually, once all leads in this investigation have played out (and the official autopsy. - when it arrives - will give more leads), we may see the contents of the autopsy.

Or, they may approve a partial release of the information in order to protect the public or to aid in finding the POI. They may find something in. the autopsy that calls for a new scan/search on the (still impounded) van.

Once someone is charged with murder in the US, they are entitled to a speedy trial. That's just not how the Federal agencies like to roll, IME.

HMM. Do you think her body was initially in the van and B moved the body to its final location? B would have been better off locking the van and continuing his journey, but I suppose lack of funds prevented that and thats why he went home.

Assuming he is a mostly normal and/or functioning person, traveling on with a dead body in the van seems rather beyond the pale.

Also, he would have made sure of his escape and had the funds in place to do so. I also do not think that B planned it. I think it was an escalation of the underlying tension in that relationship.

I respectfully disagree. He had a plan. Let his parents handle it. And it has worked out really well so far, hasn't it?
He knew he would kill her eventually, imo. He fantasied about it. I think he is a very dangerous man, and it seems the FBI think so as well.
JMO, and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member