Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t imagine why CL was asked to be there today. Trails & fav spots can be marked on a map & items/knots/set-up can be id’d with photos. Really perplexed.

All I got from today’s aerial footage of T Mabry Carlton Reserve/ Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park is that it would be of high interest to the producers of Naked & Afraid. If they shoot a season there, perhaps contestants will eventually find BL between the drop off & extraction points. At this point, this may be the best hope of tracking him down- if he’s really still there. What a bummer of a nothinburger day. Imo.
Maybe CL wasn't able to tell LE the exact trails and spots by just looking at a satellite map. If the two had hiked a lot of trails together, it doesn't necessarily mean CL had them memorized on or was good with a map.

I consider myself pretty fair minded and I’d like to believe the Laundrie parents are good people with a troubled son.
But with that said no way can I understand them not returning the phone calls from Gabby’s parents. Putting two and two together they had to know or guessed something was amiss with Gabby.
Even if they had answered the phone and said Brian is here but Gabby isn’t or if they didn’t know even saying the kids had a fight and we have no idea what’s going on!
Anything would have been better than the nothing!

They got texts and emails apprising them that GP’s family had not heard from her. They knew immediately that there was a problem. Likely confronted their son , and realizing that there was a big problem. So they called an attorney they knew for advice. Then they followed it. That is what you are supposed to do in these situations.

We have no idea what BL told them or didn’t tell them. The Laundrues had nothing good to tell GP’s family. It would have just been an inflammatory conversation with absolutely no good news. At best, Gabby was missing. Which the GP’s family knew and reported.

This is really on BL. But he likely could not say what he knew without getting into more trouble with the law. Gabby was likely dead by then snd he knew it. Otherwise he’d have said she had gone off with someone else. It makes no sense that he did not report her missing and just left. It’s pretty obvious that he knew there was nothing good to report and only would cause more trouble.
But they did know what was going on and that nothing they could do would change it. From there, protection mode is the only thing that makes sense. You do the right thing for yourself but their priority was him.

we do not know what the Laundries parents knew or didn’t know. At this point, LE not allowed to make that presumption either.

I agree with most of what you say, BUT, we do not know what was usual for BL when hiking. Did he typcally hike a trail for 2-3 days at a time or was it more likely to be day trips? If it was the former, it could explain the delay in reporting him missing. I also wonder whether it was typical for him to leave his phone at home. I would imagine that any type of hiking would require some form of communication in case of emergency - but it could be that there is no cell phone receiption at the reserve? Did he had a walkie talkie type thing?
SB claims that CL was out searching for BL for several hours on 9/13.

Viewing possible evidence that cannot be moved from the site. For example, does BL have a specific way to setup camp? My understanding is CL was taken in there to view a campsite that had been recently used and assume to see if CL could identify it as BL's way of doing things.
But if he wants LE to think BL is in the park, he’ll say that was BL’s camp sight even if it wasn’t. He isn’t reliable.

Viewing possible evidence that cannot be moved from the site. For example, does BL have a specific way to setup camp? My understanding is CL was taken in there to view a campsite that had been recently used and assume to see if CL could identify it as BL's way of doing things.

Couldn't they have just shown him a pic/video?

Laundrie family lawyer gives update on Brian Laundrie's father assisting in search for missing son
Laundrie family lawyer Steven Bertolino released a statement about Brian Laundrie's father, Chris Laundrie, assisting police in the search effort.

"Today Chris Laundrie accompanied members of law enforcement into the Reserve to show them the trails and places Chris and Brian have hiked and which Brian was known to frequent," Bertolino said. "There were no discoveries but the effort was helpful to all. It seems the water in the Preserve is receding and certain areas are more accessible to search."

"The entire Laundrie family is grateful for the hard work of the dedicated members of law enforcement that have been searching the Preserve for Brian over the last few weeks," he continued. "Hopefully Brian will be located soon."
Gabby Petito: Brian Laundrie’s father leaves Florida park after flagging son's haunts: LIVE UPDATES

They got texts and emails apprising them that GP’s family had not heard from her. They knew immediately that there was a problem. Likely confronted their son , and realizing that there was a big problem. So they called an attorney they knew for advice. Then they followed it. That is what you are supposed to do in these situations.

We have no idea what BL told them or didn’t tell them. The Laundrues had nothing good to tell GP’s family. It would have just been an inflammatory conversation with absolutely no good news. At best, Gabby was missing. Which the GP’s family knew and reported.

This is really on BL. But he likely could not say what he knew without getting into more trouble with the law. Gabby was likely dead by then snd he knew it. Otherwise he’d have said she had gone off with someone else. It makes no sense that he did not report her missing and just left. It’s pretty obvious that he knew there was nothing good to report and only would cause more trouble.

we do not know what the Laundries parents knew or didn’t know. At this point, LE not allowed to make that presumption either.
Yes, I'm sorry. In the context of the theory we're discussing, what I said was true. I'll go back and put IMO

Maybe CL wasn't able to tell LE the exact trails and spots by just looking at a satellite map. If the two had hiked a lot of trails together, it doesn't necessarily mean CL had them memorized on or was good with a map.
But didn’t they just go to one location? It didn’t seem like they were driving around a ton. But my internet has been spotty so maybe I missed it.

I agree with most of what you say, BUT, we do not know what was usual for BL when hiking. Did he typcally hike a trail for 2-3 days at a time or was it more likely to be day trips? If it was the former, it could explain the delay in reporting him missing. I also wonder whether it was typical for him to leave his phone at home. I would imagine that any type of hiking would require some form of communication in case of emergency - but it could be that there is no cell phone receiption at the reserve? Did he had a walkie talkie type thing?

I find the whole thing weird though, these weren’t normal times and if his girlfriend was missing I’m surprised his parents would find it normal for him to go on a typical hike and be back after a typical time - let alone any hike or leave the house

I think my point is the situation they were in is not a normal scenario, so I would be worried, my basis is more on the events that were unfolding at the time, also the car note saying 5 days, surely if they thought he was coming back they’d have left the car for a few more days so he could get back home (no phone to call for them to pick him up) It’s other things too like gardening and going to a library. Something just seems off to me. I think I have an issue because although we all parent differently and most of don’t know what it’s like to be in their shoes it just feels alien, and as a human being it’s hard to understand.

Added - I think a lot more of us understand how’s gabbys family reacted to her being missing and she also went away a lot, than we do to how he laundries have. It’s like chalk and cheese, total opposite reactions. I think even gabbys dad mentioned this, saying why aren’t they out there like we were.

You didn't ask a question but I'll attempt anyway...
UBM
In this situation, how you feel about yourself is not the priority. Gabby was already gone. Her parents were not going to get relief from anything the Ls could tell them. They had to choose between their own child and answers for the GP family. It may be ugly but it's not a difficult decision.

It seems to me - this is a human/moral, not legal, perspective on my part - that they might have found her body sooner with even a "I'm sorry but we can't talk to you" response, rather than nothing at all. Unless they knew BL was going to try to escape (and that they intended to facilitate it by effectively stalling for time), they would have known that eventually he would have to answer for whatever his role was or wasn't in what happened. They could have done any number of things that could have given the Petitos a day or two less agony.

My thinking as well. If you look up surviving in the woods there are various styles of "beds" one can make, as shown here. Maybe BL and his dad used to camp and use a certain method. (Odd that Dog found some moss covered planks in Fort De Soto last week.) Survival Slumber: DIY Beds for Camp - American Outdoor Guide

MOO but I think that having the dad go out to the reserve was likely to identify a camp sight, to see if it was set up in the typical way BL would do things. I personally think that BL isn’t in that Reserve since as far as we know there has been no sightings of him (i am fully aware there could be sightings we aren’t told of).

I believe the parents helped BL leave the area, but have wanted LE to assume he is in that reserve. If that is the case, having the dad identify stuff at a camp sight is rather point less.

Say for example they found a fire ring arranged a certain way, found knots tied a unique way, or found some little piece of gear or something. Even if it WASN’T BL’s, wouldn’t it be in BL’s best interest for his dad to say those were his belongings or how he arranged fire pits or tied knots? Wouldn’t that serve to keep the focus on the reserve? How can they trust anything the guy says?

Maybe the FBI planted some items there for the dad to identify to see if he would say they were BL’s things.
Maybe the FBI person he met with is an expert in assessing whether a witness is lying or sincere, maybe they were trying to get him to open up and say something, just to feel out the situation in the absence of the lawyer.

Did BL's parents have an inclination that BL was in the recently searched area of the park since the 17th? But remained silent ,as advised by their lawyer, but knew better?
OR, was RL in contact through his lawyer to LE relating from Sept 17 that he wanted to help them from the beginning and had a hunch where his son would be and they ignored him?

Why now>

Last edited:
BL's dad after the search. Is that sadness on his face?

He does look sad to me, though I wouldn’t read into it that he witnessed something at the reserve. I’m sure none of this makes him happy. I’m sure they are anxious, scared, and never expected this to go the way it has. MOO

eta I don’t feel pity for them. But I can understand they probably feel quite stressed.

Laundrie family lawyer gives update on Brian Laundrie's father assisting in search for missing son
Laundrie family lawyer Steven Bertolino released a statement about Brian Laundrie's father, Chris Laundrie, assisting police in the search effort.

"Today Chris Laundrie accompanied members of law enforcement into the Reserve to show them the trails and places Chris and Brian have hiked and which Brian was known to frequent," Bertolino said. "There were no discoveries but the effort was helpful to all. It seems the water in the Preserve is receding and certain areas are more accessible to search."

"The entire Laundrie family is grateful for the hard work of the dedicated members of law enforcement that have been searching the Preserve for Brian over the last few weeks," he continued. "Hopefully Brian will be located soon."
Gabby Petito: Brian Laundrie’s father leaves Florida park after flagging son's haunts: LIVE UPDATES
"Helpful to all"? Not to GP, nor likely to her parents. But nice of him to speak for them, and for LE, too.

I spoze. I can’t imagine that, but maybe. Just doesn’t seem that hard to say, “we often went this loop, stopped here, went off-trail here”, etc. Creek Park way simpler than TMC Reserve imo.
https://www.cityofnorthport.com/home/showpublisheddocument/11809/635973458232570000

https://s4066242081657379.jimcontent.com/download/version/1613376460/module/11848230777/name/CMR COLOR 2021 single sheet distances.pdf

https://s4066242081657379.jimconten...222806477/name/TMabryCarltonJrMemorialRes.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrancingJeeves