Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking there is so much noise it is hard to focus in when it comes to the search for Brian. The scenario I offer, should anyone wish to entertain is:

Imagine for a moment a scenario where someone has been reported missing. We have the location where the vehicle was last seen, we know the dates and location he was last with family members on a camping trip, we have his social media, and it is reported the individual had a backpack and was familiar with the outdoors. If that was the only information you had in a missing persons case (nothing else as we know it existed), where would you go from here and what would you focus on? It would be interesting to hear your ideas.

(I know he isn't a missing person as we use the term, but if we shift our filter a bit can we start to see another route of exploration that may have ben missed?)

If they didn’t want to drive back together and she didn’t like to drive the van and he was the one tasked with bringing it back and he thought she was meeting a friend - isn’t there a report of a friend saying they were meeting and she didn’t show? They are adults. 22 is four years into adulthood. The age many graduate college. Young yes but kids no. If he thought she was taking care of herself and he was the only one who could get the van back maybe that’s the arrangement they made. Maybe you do have the perp right. From outside looking in on something new and hearing it all in a span of a few days I was just pointing out some things that didn’t make sense. Most glaringly going back and carrying on with life as normal for two weeks instead of running immediately if you knew you killed someone. Then leaving when everyone learned in the same period of time that she is missing and not just an adult doing her own thing. That points to him realizing he might be in trouble then not two weeks prior. Not clouded by emotions of following it, it’s JMO. A killer would have ran from day 1. Unless he is extremely stupid to just go bike riding and camping and wait til he got caught to run. My opinion is he left when he realized she was in trouble and that wasn’t until two weeks later. Not a popular one, I realize.

I’m bringing forth a post I made yesterday during a fast moving succession of posts that may have been overlooked. I need some help. My entire focus is on trying to locate Brian. I feel there is much to discuss after he is found.. even more during and after his trial. I worked awhile on a couple of things I need help with. I was exhausted by evening tossed the iPad shortly after 5 to fix supper. I’ve not picked it back up until after I wake up the next morning. It’s been a sanity saver. Anyways, would someone look at this post and see if any of it makes sense before I end up in another rabbit hole by the end of today?

I feel he has had to have someone helping him those first few days. If this is the Publix they worked at, this might be how he was able to obtain assistance. He could have left the Myakkahatchee Creek area this way and snuck back through the same way. What led me here is I’ve been looking for an Interstate with an overpass as I think that’s how he began hitchhiking. He could be hitchhiking from overpass to overpass on down the interstate. Bridge people live underneath those with the homeless. In every single cubby hole underneath, there is evidence of entire families and others living up there. They stay up there at night and come out during the day for the free services and companionship. A spotter usually stays down to guard the belongings and to notify if anyone is coming. The homeless are so loyal and generous to one another. If anyone asks for help, they come running. Bridge people jump from one to the next, receiving info from others where they can get food, water, medicine, etc., then back on to hitchhiking. The best overpasses are those with a simple dollar store of some sort, a “quick shop” that has a little bit of food, a liquor store or a grocery store. The smaller the store the better, the homeless can be a very sensitive group of people and they don’t want people staring at them.

So, talk me out of this so I can have peaceful garden day.
Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #56

eta: if this access to an overpass isn’t feasible, does anyone know of another interstate with easy access to this campground.
edited to tell “autocorrect” she’s not smarter than me but I don’t know what I’d do without her though.

I had not read this before my post! It sounds like we were both considering how to look at this differently!

Getting water is a regular occurrence if you live in a van. Their van doesn't have a built in tank and they don't have a lot of space so they carry a smaller supply than usual. I wouldn't read to much into them needing to get water. And I actually think it was just a lie he told LE to explain why he was going into the park that late in the day because they were probably heading in to illegally camp somewhere and he didn't want to say that. That little water can they have could have been filled in any number of spigots in town.
I agree. The comments about water are strange, and they both mentioned it, away from each other. Strange to me, because I am sure they could have filled up in Moab. BUT, the longer I think about this, maybe they wanted to fill up at the campsite because it had potable, natural water from a spring or well. My husband and kids would have preferred that on our trip out west, if we had a choice and it was just a few miles away. My two cents on that one, but I agree, curious statements about that. MOO!

I had not read this before my post! It sounds like we were both considering how to look at this differently!
I’m glad I read yours after mine. It bolsters mine.

After three long months looking for my brother (just me and my sister), posting fliers visiting every homeless shelter and crisis center we could find - I started climbing up those steep bridges and just bawled at what I found and continued to find over and over. Eventually, a spotter and his buddies gave me directions to homeless campgrounds way out in the woods. One day, I walked upon his remains. If not for the homeless, he might still be laying out there,

Last edited:
Good Morning WS Buds!
Interesting day, yesterday. I find myself more and more envisioning BL kicking back, safe and sound, fully stocked, eating tofu in a safe house, watching events unfold on a laptop. Despite the horrendous prospect of his son being consumed by ravenous reptiles, Dad managed to joke around with LE at the game preserve during his extensive one hour search. I suspect the only Crocs in this saga are: on BL's feet somewhere and buried deep in the narrative.

Headlines today suggest BL has been under surveillance since GP was reported missing. Whoopsie. He shape shifted, assumed liquid form, and flowed under the door out into the highways and byways disguised as a puddle. Something like that. Anyway, I doubt BL is bug bitten and surviving on rainwater and fire ants.

Ever hear of a snipe hunt? This one has cost the citizens of Florida $1.2+M and its been a doozy. The worst part of it is that its being done at the expense of justice for a young girl murdered and left to decompose on a dry creek bed out in the open. A girl so full of guileless light and life that her end has ignited the world's conscience. Well, ALMOST the whole world. The culprit didn't have the decency to throw a handful of soil on top of her after they robbed her of her life, bank card, van, and skedaddled. Consider the somber hunt for that body and the mirthful one yesterday. Quite a contrast.

So, one set of parents who once enjoyed the spirited company of a lively girl now own a small box of something no human would ever want to see and the other parents have camping, smores, the invisible man and stony silence.
MOO
bbm
Agreed.
Very unsettling.
Imo.

Great post !

So I’m sat here pondering some of the other theories that I’ve seen on here...
Like I said the simplest answer is usually the correct one. I do like seeing other views to my own to see if they can change my own opinion but so far none have. Whichever is the case it’s ruined a lot of lives and someone needs to be caught even if it’s just for answers so Gabby's family can get some peace.

I have to agree...for me, I look to find all of the reasons (or arguments) a suspect or POI could be proven innocent. Proven innocent doesn't necessarily mean they are, but proven innocent in a court of law. I kind of go back and forth playing Devil's Advocate. I can't say one way or another if BL is guilty...actions are saying he's got something to hide. Until he is found and more information is made public, everything is just speculation.

The media is so desperate for stories they are taking things from sites like this (and I'm not saying the article I saw, nor did it quote any sources, but I saw it this morning) and reporting it as news. No one knows anything except a 22-year-old was murdered.

My take of the “plan” BL had after he killed GP: He fled immediately after killing her out of panic and fear. He thought she would be discovered and he was fleeing then so as not to be caught, as well as from the horror of what he had done. He carefully checked news sources while hiking further north, and after a day or so realized, no news, and likely her body was not found and he was not being hunted down. So, he carefully hitchhiked back to the van and her body, making sure there were witnesses left behind that could repeat the story that he had left her behind and was out camping for the last few days. He refused to allow his ride to drive him back up to the van, because he was still wary that there would be LE and perhaps a trap to catch him. When he got back to the van, and saw for himself that her body had not been discovered, he panicked again. All that planning to say he left her and someone else must have found her alone and killed her… that story would only work if someone else discovered her. And no one had, nor was he willing to insert himself at that point and call LE to report a murder. He had nowhere to go and no way to plan an escape. It was at this point he decided to go home and enlist assistance from his parents. He isn’t very bright, and he doesn’t plan well, especially under pressure. He took the van because it was the easiest way to get home, and he probably thought it would be less likely that anyone would discover her body if the van was not around to “point to her”. I think he does a lot of self-soothing using somewhat delusional thinking that maybe if no one finds her, he could get away with it. He was probably more than a little depressed as well, and thinking “whatever happens, happens”. I think he is still in that mindset, and still just thinking to himself that this is all going to just go away. He is not bright, nor very rational, imho. I think he had significant help from his parents making a plan to avoid capture. And I think it is also possible he did commit suicide. And as for the parents, I can imagine that they may not find that to be the worst option at this point. THIS IS ALL MY OPINION

While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I think BL was well aware of his option to plead the 5th as well as the amount of time he could buy himself because the crime took place in an area of the country with poor reception and not a lot of people. IMO he was aware it would be days before she'd be found, and as such, getting home ASAP to clear the van of evidence, get some supplies, tell his parents a false story about GP's whereabouts, was his BEST plan for escape, and he was not a fool in thinking so, obviously. Taking a flight requires being seen and human interaction, taking the van anywhere else would also point LE in his direction when van is found. She was killed in August, we're now in October. I don't think this is all happenstance. I believe BL made very calculated risk assessments.

For insight, I am an avid ultralite backpacker in Appalachia and I can tell you, anyone who has taken a hobby like that even a little bit seriously can survive easily in the southeastern United States. To further this point, they make a $20 product called a lifestraw, it weights 2 oz, can fit in your pocket and can filter enough water for one person for about 5 years. Between that, a fishing pole and a little bit of outside help to get out of the immediate area (Florida) and this dude could be deeply imbedded in the Southern Appalachians or just about anywhere else that's remote. At this point in time, all I can say to that, sadly, is good luck finding him.

I feel like it's turning into theatre for SB and his client CL to look like he is "concerned" and "cooperative." Hopefully, the FBI managed to get some info from him.
I have no idea if the FBI agrees to perform theater this way, but maybe. I was glad to see they let him go along to try to help, though, regardless of FBI's intent in inviting him. IMO.

Does that matter if BL isn't skipping bail?

This was precisely the thought I had when I heard that DTBH joined the search. IMOO I dont think them searching is any different than you or I going out to search for someone.
I apologize if I missed half the conversation but BL isn't skipping bail, he is wanted on charges that he has not even been formally charged in court with or arrested for even...he's wanted for arrest...they have not even come close to bail...although I think after a conversation with him the charges will be amended to something that bail will not be an option.

I agree, that's why I think a bounty hunter searching is no different than you or I out there searching right now.

I am thinking there is so much noise it is hard to focus in when it comes to the search for Brian. The scenario I offer, should anyone wish to entertain is:

Imagine for a moment a scenario where someone has been reported missing. We have the location where the vehicle was last seen, we know the dates and location he was last with family members on a camping trip, we have his social media, and it is reported the individual had a backpack and was familiar with the outdoors. If that was the only information you had in a missing persons case (nothing else as we know it existed), where would you go from here and what would you focus on? It would be interesting to hear your ideas.

(I know he isn't a missing person as we use the term, but if we shift our filter a bit can we start to see another route of exploration that may have ben missed?)
The problem is, that this is a situation where the parents may have helped him by hiding him in a remote spot. With the ability to have groceries delivered to a home, if he were staying hidden in a specific location, it would be really easy for him to continue to stay there for quite some time.
But I agree, it's time to look at this in the same way we would a missing persons case, or a typical runaway case.

I don't ubderstand your point about the bolded. If they gave LE a business card, that's giving them contact information.

And actually, I'd guess it wasn't an actual business card and that that's just fluffy reporting. It's at best a "maybe" if they had a spare (or gave their only) actual paper card of his from their Long Island days just hanging around. Yes, people still hangon to those things and clip them in a paper address book, but it's just as likely they just wrote down the information and handed that to LE. There's zero magic in a business card.
According to the information in the article and link from the media thread; the parents only gave a name and not a card.
Of course even without a number it would be easy enough for LE to look up the contact info.
Still not helpful for just a name without contact information as some law offices may possibly have the same name ?

As far as the bolded, it depends on what BL might be charged with beyond the theft of Gabby's credit cards.
So there may or may not be charges for the parents for aiding and abetting.
Time will tell.
The only concern at this point is finding BL.
Imo.

Last edited:

Trouble is, that any legit sightings will be reported to local police , or FBI, and we won't know about them, unless the caller also feels compelled to get his/her face on camera....which detracts from the legitimacy of the report. FBI is all over the country, though so hopefully they are investigating all good leads...................but they are not about to tell us about it! jmo

Given those facts, I would add the assumption that cameras would have captured his entry into the reserve. Perhaps the focus there, and seeming lack of interest in other "sightings," means that cameras show that he never left reserve.

He had sufficient time to recover, if recovery was required, and to plan ahead.
If it was me, I'd have taken that Mustang very far away, on backroads out of town and paid a stranger to leave it back from where I would continue on, on foot or purchase a cheap vehicle using false ID and insure it with equally false ID and licence. These things are all readily available for sale online.

I'd also be investigating all his known internet contacts, particularly groups. I'd search dark web.
I'd conduct the same type of investigation on all his relatives and close associates.
That's all I got, sorry!

I feel like it's turning into theatre for SB and his client CL to look like he is "concerned" and "cooperative." Hopefully, the FBI managed to get some info from him.

On the bright side if he’s daft enough to get photographed laughing, hopefully if he does know where BL is hes daft enough to get caught out on a silly mistake.
Especially talking to his new FBI “buddy”..

ETA: I don’t know where you’d find homeless people who’d simultaneously shelter a murderer while ignoring the life-changing reward money.

I appreciate and applaud the tremendous amount of thought you've put into your theory. We are all entitled here to our opinions.

I don't agree, though. To me it will never be ok for a man to love a woman, live with that woman, and then to just shrug off that she's abandoned, then missing, then dead. That's if he didn't kill her, which IMO he absolutely did.

If he didn't kill her he should have been the first one panic-calling 911, screaming into the void, trying desperately to contact her family to find out if they've heard from her, running around the Tetons asking anyone nearby if they've spotted a girl matching her description, begging the park rangers to search for her and so on. Not taking her only means of transport and her only means of cash access and fleeing the scene, then shutting up, then hiding. IMO.

If one of your three sons were missing, God forbid, imagine how fervently you would want to hear from the person who was last with him. If that person ignored you, what excuse for that would be satisfactory?

Nothing can make this kosher. Jmo.
Agreed.
If I read correctly, Gabby lived with Brian's family for about two years before the trip so they knew her almost like a daughter.
At least a daughter-in-law to be ?
Another layer of sadness for the Petito's to not be able to contact the Laundries in the first frantic days. :(
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member