Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need volunteers who are good with maps and directions. We need a case mapper. @skibaboo @otto . I realize there are practically zero confirmations but we could start with the sightings the FBI seems more interested in and make a beta case map version. It’s hard work but if anyone is willing to take it on, I’ll help. I’m directionally challenged so I can’t do it. Seriously. My husband says I can’t find my way out of a paper bag.

I'm in! I've been busy with work but following quietly. I'm happy to help with a map.

Since Brian was the driver, he was probably in possession of keys. No indication I saw that he was going to drive off without her, he wanted to lock her out. If she was the one who started the hitting, by her own admission, and he said he was trying to get away from her, the grabbing of the phone might have been because per Brian's words when asked by LE, how did he get hit above the eye..."she got me with the phone"....

As for trying to make Brian stop when LE lit up lights....why punch him as she demonstrated to LE. Tells me Gabby was not afraid of Brian.
And they both called each other names, per LE vids. So the abuse went both ways...Brian admitted to LE..."they" got physical, he did not try to hide it. imo

My take on her reaction when he tried to lock her out of the van was that he's done it before (he even made a comment that he didn't want to leave her again in the body cam video). <modsnip> IMO MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
MOO
Thanks for giving us another way to look at this, until we know a lot of things for certain, this is plausible enough to be considered.I finally found a map and a timeline that help me look at the bigger picture. Yes he would be bouncing around all over the place, but at least timeline as we know it seemed feasible

it was me that replied yesterday, I never said gabby couldn’t do the trip on her own, what I said was he took her van and cards so How could she complete this trip without these things, no cash for food, no van to get back to a town for example. I said it was negligent on his behalf if he did just desert her out there. I’m certain gabby could have done this trip alone.

Last edited:
Assuming he is on the run, its going to get old real quick. BL is only 23 years old. What kind of life will he live being on the run for years on end, always looking over his shoulder? It might seem glamorous for a few months, at most. And let's assume his family is financially supporting him or helping him with lodging or supplies - that isn't going to be any fun for them either.

Here is a really good piece by NPR - you can listen or read it - it features an interview with an FBI agent about cases of people who were on the run for years, and callers who call in who share their stories of living on the run. After reading it, I am more inclined to think BL could easily be on the run for years. Doesn't mean he will be happy though. What's It's Like To Live On The Lam

I see way too many double standards today. Glad I am not young anymore. And much projecting in this case with little real evidence.
Well I see only one person who was abused and is now dead. I see one victim. That is just my personal opinion from all that we have learned from following this case. I see someone who even ignored her worried, heartbroken parents.
So I refuse to put him in any kind of victim category here. There is one victim and it is Gabby. Jmo

Most people think they know what they'd do in a traumatic situation. Most people don't really know.

I survived a wildfire and lost everything I owned and lived through a night of horror. I suffered through some pretty major PTSD (and still do). But no one I knew would have known it at the time. I went to work the next day. I carried on as normal. I laughed and made light of some of the strange things I and others did that night. Then I went "home" and cried all night every night by myself. I wouldn't say that was typical. And I definitely would not have told you before it happened that I would react in this way. There were a thousand people in the same situation, and every single one reacted differently.

My story isn't the same as the Laundries', other than there was a traumatic event. But I think it's important to realize that everyone reacts differently to tragedy. And what you see in a picture or video clip isn't what everyday life is. And what you think you might do doesn't always happen in reality. This does not mean I'm sympathetic to them. I don't know what their role is in all this, but I believe they played a part in some of it.

Personally, I think the FBI had him there for their own purposes, and it wasn't to show them familiar trails. I do think they had an agenda, and being friendly and joking with him probably helped them with that agenda.
Good post. Real life often doesn't follow the neat & tidy notions we have in our minds.

I live in North Port 5 mins from the Laundries. And u still would cancel a camping trip when there is a hurricane!
U have no idea where it will go or how long it will last! The rain alone floods most places!

DEFINITELY MOO, I agree not to mention it's on the coast, who wants to sit in a tiny camper in the rain and wind. Not saying it was the only reason but it is not a surprise if it was a factor.

At that point all they may know is Brian is coming home, we have no way of knowing his story, I'm open to the possibility they didn't know and their realization may have come much later.

Well he ran back home. That’s odd behavior to be sure.
Yeah, confounding. Complete opposite of the mastermind that tried to build an alibi by hitch-hiking, right? Not sure why he wouldn't have kept trying after that, if that was his goal.

Driving home, spending money to get there and leaving the van in plain sight doesn't seem particularly as clever as the hitch-hiking alibi attempt.

Strangest guilty behavior ever, especially as he has since left home independently, for what, going on nearly a month now after realizing she really was missing/killed?

Weirdest case, especially if he is guilty, and knew he was guilty from August 27th on. IMO

Uh not that i know of, to follow flights about a particular geographical area but you can just open your favorite flight tracker page and zoom down on to the reserve and click on anything that flys over?
Thank you so much! I have really gotten addicted to this, lol. I just signed up and now have many more options in the settings. Thanks!

We can hope that the "liaison" got some information out of the adventure. I'm sure that Dad enjoyed the outing. Looked like he even had lunch in his bag. A picnic! JMO
It could be water and something like Gatorade. He could have a light snack. I would, not knowing how long I would be gone or if I would be offered anything.

I thought it made perfect sense.
Moo...

Well he ran back home. That’s odd behavior to be sure.

Well....if he expected to escape what he had done, running home was not very logical....especially with a van in her name and using her bank account.

I think his parents should have talked him into turning himself in, I dont think they were thinking too clearly either.

He left her there because that was her thing to do. By saying he should never leave a female behind (someone replied to me before) isn’t that saying she can’t do this adventure on her own so if she didn’t want to drive the van long distances her only choice would be to abandon her plans. From the other women who were interviewed with this carefree lifestyle it’s something they meet up and the one said she is sure she would have met her at some point because they actively seek eachother out. To say she couldn’t do this without him is not much different than her saying in the police video that he didn’t think she could do it. Apparently many think a women needs a man to travel.
RSBBM for clarity & brevity. I respect coming at this from a different angle & trying to look at things differently. :) & you have some points. & actually I’m not saying he’s guilty. We really don’t have anything more than circumstantial evidence IMO. I just slightly disagree with the premise that by a person saying he shouldn’t have left Gabby behind, that person is essentially saying she couldn’t do that adventure on her own. I 100% agree that he shouldn’t have left her behind. However, I also 100% believe that Gabby most certainly could have done the trip on her own. For the sake of the argument, let’s say BL didn’t leave Gabby in the woods - which we could reasonably say that bc the van was seen roughly 900’ from where the body was found - but in this case let’s say he didn’t. BL left Gabby by herself - which clearly in the police video she has severe anxiety about being alone in the van IMO (which confuses me with the trip BL took when he flew home to FL but whatever lol - maybe it’s bc she was in a hotel - who knows). He left her with no transportation. He left her with no debit card (that came out in the latest Dr. Phil interview) therefore no way to buy anything (food, supplies, a hotel, etc.). It seems to me, even if they broke up, if you at one point loved someone enough to propose to them, you wouldn’t abandon them that far away from home with no transportation & no money. JMO.

TL;DR: You made some good points :) I don’t think he should have left her the way he did - not bc I don’t think she could have done the trip on her own. I hope that made sense haha.

Thank you so much! I have really gotten addicted to this, lol. I just signed up and now have many more options in the settings. Thanks!

glad you are enjoying it, so do i

if you are not already i would pair the flight tracker with broadcastify and listen to the scanner traffic coming through, not always a lot about BL but sometimes you hear calls with sightings and such, operations above the reserve, you are looking for the northport/sarasota PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member