Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #59

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although many seem to assume that Gabby and BL "shared" the bank account, all that matters is what's on the bank paperwork. No conjecture about how BL "felt" about the money matters to banks or the FBI. He was an adult and had to understand the money situation long before they left on they left on the trip west. It's true he probably didn't care about the legalities since he lost his moral compass somewhere along the way. JMOO

Just speaking from my own experiences there are "legal" ways to share credit cards. You can make someone a designated user on any credit card. That's typical for married couples, but children can also be designated users. My husband added our youngest onto one of our cards because he often picks up food for us or fills up car with gas. It's just easier than having to pay him back constantly for things like that.

Bank accounts are different. You usually need to have a joint account in order to withdraw or use checks, and even then the bank sends each person their own debit card with it's own number. People aren't supposed to loan and share those cards.

I agree that using her card was indeed illegal I'm just saying he may not necessarily have been aware it was illegal IF they had been sharing the account all along (and it's just an assumption that they were). It's just my speculation that the use of her card was not intentional theft but rather the mindless continued use of it. In any case, it it is very fortunate that it is illegal and was easily proven so an indictment was obtained.

MOO of course

It does sound like that, yes.

And absolutely: I had VERY high hopes initially when BOTH FBI and DTBH appeared to be hot on the trail. Now, not so much….:oops:

One possible explanation for the failure to apprehend BL: He’s not out in nature reserves nor on trails. He’s holed up in a remote cabin with supplies in NY State.
IMHO, he's holed up in a cabin, but I am not committing to it being in NY State.

Imagine this: What if BL arranged to rent a cabin or vacation rental cottage for a period of time - say, 2-3 months, using an assumed name and paying for it with one of those prepaid cards we have discussed. Then he takes off for his hike, leaving his scent at the Reserve, and hitchhikes to his destination. He empties all of the food out of his backpack, and goes to the nearest convenience store to replenish his staples. He could be sitting pretty, watching the game right now, nowhere near where anyone is looking for him. And he could stay there for quite some time. I don't think that is beyond the realm of possibility. MOO

Could someone please help me find the photo of BL and his Dad out hiking - BL has a multi-day pack on. I have googled this but cannot find it, however I saw it here. IIRC Rickshawfan was commenting about the off-center way he was wearing the belt.

I'm asking because if BL truly is a devotee of the barefoot Arizona survivalist Cody Lundin, then I think he is wearing the fanny pack that Lundin says you should never be without -a survival pack. If he is following this it could explain why he showed up hitchhiking with what only appeared to be a tarp IMO.
Was it this one?
Protesters gather outside Brian Laundrie's parents' house as swamp hunt is scaled back | Daily Mail Online
upload_2021-10-10_14-51-22.jpeg

I don’t think Dog’s bowing out. He’s no spring chicken- prob really did injure his ankle. He’s stated he is committed to finding BL by Nov 17- Brian’s 24th (23rd?) birthday. Still plently of time to make that goal & I hope he (or somebody/ anybody) does!

I’m not surprised BL has successfully been on the run for 1 month as of tomorrow. Why? Because way too many people have underestimated both his ability & his motivation. Starting with NPPD, and continuing with his sister, experts, etc.

To me the most credible lead is Dennis Davis. He has no desire for his 15 minutes of fame. He double-triple checked his own sighting for photo & voice confirmation. He reports BL had a kerchief or t-shirt tied around his head- likely to hide his ears/bald head and consistent with the description Cassie L provided from Ft DeSoto. DD was absolutely certain when he found a profile pic of BL, with that very distinct sillouette of his forehead/ nose/ beard. I always thought he’d head to AT & I still stand by that. Jmo

Hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie near Appalachian Trail
It sounds to me like DD has given everything he knows to the public so FBI may feel no need to question him. Verifying that he is who he says he is and what he was doing at the time wouldn't require speaking to him personally. Either the FBI knows for certain that his sighting could not have been BL, or they are doing what they do and investigating quietly. If the guy DD saw was BL he could be ANYWHERE by now! And not necessarily in a white truck. jmo

IMHO, he's holed up in a cabin, but I am not committing to it being in NY State.

Imagine this: What if BL arranged to rent a cabin or vacation rental cottage for a period of time - say, 2-3 months, using an assumed name and paying for it with one of those prepaid cards we have discussed. Then he takes off for his hike, leaving his scent at the Reserve, and hitchhikes to his destination. He empties all of the food out of his backpack, and goes to the nearest convenience store to replenish his staples. He could be sitting pretty, watching the game right now, nowhere near where anyone is looking for him. And he could stay there for quite some time. I don't think that is beyond the realm of possibility. MOO
I just don’t understand where he is getting money from for long term, you would need a fair amount to last a while, long term he would probably need to get a job, cash in hand maybe, then it runs the risk of someone recognising him. Does anyone know if the FBI can look into the parents bank accounts because BL is now a fugitive or because BL’s an adult legally they’re not allowed? I’ve always wondered if they gave him cash.

Card sharing is something you do with living people. If you use someone's card after they have died - similar to taking money out of their wallet - you have passed the normal threshold of sharing. A dead person cannot share, the money no longer belongs to the dead person, it belongs to whomever is going to inherit that person's estate.

Plus, most people are aware that the use of cards can be linked to the specific location where it was used. IMO he used her card to make it appear she had left Grand Teton alive, and so draw away suspicion that she might still be there.

ETA, especially if you have used their card without ever informing anyone that they are dead!
MOO
Thank you @Satchie

This would be a real possibility imo. When I was in college, I rented a garage apartment from a wealthy, widowed, elderly woman on an estate property a bike ride from campus. All utilities were included in the cheap rent. She had advertised at the college housing board & I paid cash for my rent for 4 years. Very, very private. Remote yet close to everything. Easy to figure out what night the local store is least busy- or get delivery. Wear a hat, mask & bandage over his tattoo er injury & there ya go. Disappeared. If he moved in as a “college student” he could hole up for 4 years with no suspicions. 7-8 if he “continues on” with his PhD. I may be elderly by the time BL is found. Hope not- but possible, imo.

A thought occurred to me this morning as to an explanation Brian may conjured up to give to his parents and to his sister as to why he came back with the van without Gabby. What if he told them there had been another fight, and this time GP was arrested? She was in jail, so he drove the van home. BL's parents would not want to discuss this type of situation with GP's parents, so didn't take the calls. Once the missing persons report was filed, Brian knew the jig was up, his parents knew they had a problem, and got a lawyer...who told them to keep quiet--. leaving us with nothing but opinions and speculations as to how things have ended up where they now are.

We're in East TN today (not hiking, don't get excited) with my cousin and her husband pointed out how there's so many BL look-alikes out today. It wouldn't be nearly as funny if he weren't himself a 15 years +/ 6" taller version of BL. With 50 extra lbs and 10 years, my husband could be BL. He is everywhere here in camo UT hats. He's the invisible man.

If that was his intent, why not make it easy for people to find his remains? Why not leave a note/video message on a phone explaining what happened? Why would he do something that would make his parents not know what happened to him? IMO, as bad as it is to lose a child, it's worse to not know what happened to them and never have remains found.

Besides all this, not being found could just mean that he is not where they are looking. There are many scenarios that could explain why he hasn't been found.

ETA: Oh, I think you meant that Dog was bowing out. Maybe...

Yeah sorry. The first sentence was in regards Dog's statement about going home.

The rest was just reiterating what I think Brian's done here based purely on the (admittedly limited) info we have about him. Probably very wrong but the complete lack of any evidence he is still actively on the run points to this scenario for me right now.

I just don’t understand where he is getting money from for long term, you would need a fair amount to last a while, long term he would probably need to get a job, cash in hand maybe, then it runs the risk of someone recognising him. Does anyone know if the FBI can look into the parents bank accounts because BL is now a fugitive or because BL’s an adult legally they’re not allowed? I’ve always wondered if they gave him cash.
Absolutely. Long term, he'll run out of whatever cash and food he has and he'll have to come out. This is what trips them all up. (I think of Jeffrey Easley panhandling outside of a Safeway in CA.) IMHO, it's entirely possible that his parents gave him some cash and some food. And he used GP's card on the trip home, and I don't think we know the exact amount of the charges. I say, he's got another 3-4 weeks tops before he has to go out again. MOO.

Dave Faherty
@FahertyWSOC9

Watauga Co- the National Park Investigative Services Branch is overseeing the death investigation along the Blue Ridge Parkway. They say the body was found at the Yadkin Valley Overlook north of Blowing Rock. No cause of death yet. I just took this video along the BRP.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1447274538123894786
11:55 AM · Oct 10, 2021

Body recovered on Blue Ridge Parkway near milepost 289

BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY — National Park Service dispatchers received a report from a park visitor of a body near an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway on Saturday, Oct. 9, at approximately 1:14 p.m.

Law enforcement rangers responded to the scene and located a deceased male at 1:19 p.m., below Yadkin Valley Overlook at milepost 289.8.

Cause of death is unknown, and an investigation is underway led by NPS Investigative Services Branch with assistance from the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation.

No further details are available at this time.

This would be a real possibility imo. When I was in college, I rented a garage apartment from a wealthy, widowed, elderly woman on an estate property a bike ride from campus. All utilities were included in the cheap rent. She had advertised at the college housing board & I paid cash for my rent for 4 years. Very, very private. Remote yet close to everything. Easy to figure out what night the local store is least busy- or get delivery. Wear a hat, mask & bandage over his tattoo er injury & there ya go. Disappeared. If he moved in as a “college student” he could hole up for 4 years with no suspicions. 7-8 if he “continues on” with his PhD. I may be elderly by the time BL is found. Hope not- but possible, imo.
Would the elderly lady have turned you in if your face was plastered all over as a fugitive? jmo ETA Or, any of your college friends?

Or the lawyer is giving him.cash!
Can the lawyer do that?

Silence. Entitled to it. It protects an innocent POI. Silence can also be an admission in the absence of denial.
MOO

Are you commenting just in the context of WS? If not, Maybe @Alethea can comment on adverse inference from a defendant's silence in the context of an actual criminal proceeding. I think the circumstances under which a defendant's silence can create an adverse inference is limited to when the defendant refuses to testify to controvert other evidence tending to establish an element of the crime, but that is jmo.

Would the elderly lady have turned you in if your face was plastered all over as a fugitive? jmo
Prob not. Her life was grandkids, gardening, bridge club & her schnauzer, Fritzi. She went to bed at 8 pm & volunteered at the local hospital. Not someone who would have been on WS or watching crime shows. There are people who haven’t heard of this case at all.

On the previous thread, there was a discussion about Brian having a handgun. I had written these thoughts but the thread closed before I could post. Thank you for bearing with me on that wordy explanation.

Actually, I think he had his gun with him. Recalling the Moab police stop, he was asked where Gabby’s phone was and he said it was in a “spot” and then retrieved it. Could this “spot” have also been the location of his handgun?

I think he had threatened her in the past and that was the cause of her hysteria. She was afraid. Been there!

MOO IMHO
<modsnip>

I believe Gabby was terrified of BL and couldn't tell her parents because of the threats. I also believe that being stuck together in an RV was too close and without CL's children who stated that they loved Gabby, and no one to turn to but the guy who hits you, and degrades your very existence, belittles you and your blog, and has probably threatened to kill you and anyone you tell pushed her to the breaking point and of course, BL who was extremely aggressive and he killed her. MOO MOO MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep; I think he is nicely set up far from where they are looking. His parents did a good job targeting LE’s attention to the nature preserve.

I've been giving this a lot of thought over the past couple of days. I remembered a segment on my local news about how good dumpster diving was in NYC.

Not just for the homeless to pick on, but families coming out at night and using large black garbage bags to collect good food that may have expired for the restaurant rules and regulations, but the food was perfectly good.

There are a lot of resources available in the city for the homeless especially during the winter months. A lot of homeless shelters, soup kitchens, panhandling, and dumpster diving. It could be a perfect hiding in plain sight scenario for BL to get lost in the city.

Those who are struggling in some way are all about how to survive themselves on a daily basis and don't really pay attention to what is happening to other people. He could get a cot and a hot meal every night and spend his days with a empty coffee cup looking for handouts, or riding the subways to stay warm. There are 9 million people in a very small city and he could easily submerge himself into that world without being spotted, at least in the short term. JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member