Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #59

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
male body found at scenic overlook in NC. Gabby lived in NC for a bit, any travel logs of them camping/visiting spots in NC? I could see a scenic spot having special meaning in their relationship. Brian might fancy himself a tragic Romeo

Dave Faherty
@FahertyWSOC9

Watauga Co- the National Park Investigative Services Branch is overseeing the death investigation along the Blue Ridge Parkway. They say the body was found at the Yadkin Valley Overlook north of Blowing Rock. No cause of death yet. I just took this video along the BRP.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1447274538123894786
11:55 AM · Oct 10, 2021

Body recovered on Blue Ridge Parkway near milepost 289

BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY — National Park Service dispatchers received a report from a park visitor of a body near an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway on Saturday, Oct. 9, at approximately 1:14 p.m.

Law enforcement rangers responded to the scene and located a deceased male at 1:19 p.m., below Yadkin Valley Overlook at milepost 289.8.

Cause of death is unknown, and an investigation is underway led by NPS Investigative Services Branch with assistance from the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation.

No further details are available at this time.

48464987-10034269-Laundrie_was_last_seen_at_the_Carlton_Reserve_five_miles_from_hi-a-1_1632782348366.jpg

So this does look like a fanny pack on the bigger pack hip belt, pushing the belt buckle off to one side.
Cody Lundin Basic Survival Kit

If BL is a Lundin fan (first thing I thought of when I heard he hiked barefoot) BL is not camping in average, run-of-the-mill spots IMO.

I'm still curious about Gabby being seen with a male on Aug 21th while BL was supposedly in FL. Did the clerk have the date wrong?

Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online

At the Kicks 66 convenience store located down the street just a few hundred yards away from the Fairfield Inn, a cashier recognized the couple.

The cashier told the DailyMail.com, 'They came into together on the night of August 21. I remember them because he was telling her to 'hurry up.'

She didn't say anything back to him, at one point she left the store for a few minutes and came back in. They bought bottles of water, a few packages of instant noodles and donuts.'

The cashier pointed out that the Salt Lake City FBI headquarters is across the street from the convenience store, also within a few hundred feet of the Fairfield Inn. 'Their vehicle would have had to pass by the FBI cameras outside of the building pointing toward the street on several occasions.'

I missed this (so many threads). Is Gabby on camera or is just a cashier's opinion? Could Gabby have met an innocent friend for a few minutes and bought some food? Could she have had a new friend for few minutes and experienced what a real friendship is like? I would like to see her on camera. If it's proven to be her, this would threaten BL's manhood enough to want to kill her. How dare she have a friend without his permission.

Is this after the police encounter? Was it one of the policemen or someone involved with the police trying to help her out?

MOO MOO

I've been giving this a lot of thought over the past couple of days. I remembered a segment on my local news about how good dumpster diving was in NYC.

Not just for the homeless to pick on, but families coming out at night and using large black garbage bags to collect good food that may have expired for the restaurant rules and regulations, but the food was perfectly good.

There are a lot of resources available in the city for the homeless especially during the winter months. A lot of homeless shelters, soup kitchens, panhandling, and dumpster diving. It could be a perfect hiding in plain sight scenario for BL to get lost in the city.

Those who are struggling in some way are all about how to survive themselves on a daily basis and don't really pay attention to what is happening to other people. He could get a cot and a hot meal every night and spend his days with a empty coffee cup looking for handouts, or riding the subways to stay warm. There are 9 million people in a very small city and he could easily submerge himself into that world without being spotted, at least in the short term. JMO

Absolutely. Especially if he goes to a city with strong mask mandates. Literally everyone in my midsized Washington city follows the mask requirement. I haven’t seen a bare face inside a store since they reinstated the mandate a few months ago. He would blend in here, especially now that we are wearing hoods and warm hats! I would not recognize him here.

Hi all! First time poster here and newbie! I question this video that Gabby supposedly made when Brian was in Florida. It seems eery to me that the video starts from a previous trip in California, clearly during winter. It takes us to the present time in Utah and ends there. Just seems very odd how the timeline was put together and posted. Any thoughts?
JMO, but I think the footage of them being 'in love', all the choreography for the camera and the little kisses, etc, was from an earlier trip when they were getting along better. I suspect BL didn't want to do that kind of stuff anymore. The only footage showing him happy on their current trip appears to be the brief clip when he says he's glad he can finally hang up his hammock... ie lie around by himself...

Hi all! First time poster here and newbie! I question this video that Gabby supposedly made when Brian was in Florida. It seems eery to me that the video starts from a previous trip in California, clearly during winter. It takes us to the present time in Utah and ends there. Just seems very odd how the timeline was put together and posted. Any thoughts?
I've also thought about why she chose to put footage from a previous trip in that video. My guess is that she desperately needed to get the video completed but may not have had as much content from their current as she would have liked, so she added the older stuff. The reason I say she needed to get something completed is because the cop stop video indicated a large amount of stress and anxiety related to her work on the project, based on what she told them. I'm of the opinion that a good part of the reason for BL's trip to Florida for a week was to give GP some space to work, so she worked hard and got something to publish. To me, it seems that spending large blocks of time on editing videos would eventually interfere with getting new videos to edit. Maybe she realized that, as well.

My take is Gabby had been trying to piece together content for her YT video. We know they were at the cafe for a few hours the day of the police stop. I can’t imagine Brian was happy to sit there watching her do that for hours. Especially if the editing was taking longer than expected. Hence the fight that led to reasons for the suspected DV calls. We also know Gabby was working on the YT video while at the hotel because her dad said he was helping her. Finishing the video was an important goal since she needed content to upload. It’s possible Brian understood that and decided to give her the time she needed to finish the video. Because sitting around idly while she worked on it (cafe) clearly didn’t work for either of them. So yeah, I could see that being the actual reason for the trip and I could also see Gabby telling her parents his absence was storage unit related to avoid having to explain what transpired the last time she tried to work on the video. Whether or not emptying out the storage unit on those days was his dad’s plan from the beginning or just something he decided to do because Brian was home to help remains to be seen. /jmo

Yes, but to do what Gabby was hoping to do, have a great channel and social media presence that generated revenue, she needed to be doing this sort of content creation multiple days per week, every week. Him needing to leave so she could finally get one video made after how long on the trip?? I’d say if that is what happened, they should have just realized this wasn’t going to work and go home. Being successful on the internet takes a lot of work.

I missed this (so many threads). Is Gabby on camera or is just a cashier's opinion? Could Gabby have met an innocent friend for a few minutes and bought some food? Could she have had a new friend for few minutes and experienced what a real friendship is like? I would like to see her on camera. If it's proven to be her, this would threaten BL's manhood enough to want to kill her. How dare she have a friend without his permission.

Is this after the police encounter? Was it one of the policemen or someone involved with the police trying to help her out?

MOO MOO
I certainly could be wrong, I have been before, but this sounds like misdirection hogwash to me from the "BL camp". Not buying it.

All just my amateur opinion and speculation

IMHO, he's holed up in a cabin, but I am not committing to it being in NY State.

Imagine this: What if BL arranged to rent a cabin or vacation rental cottage for a period of time - say, 2-3 months, using an assumed name and paying for it with one of those prepaid cards we have discussed. Then he takes off for his hike, leaving his scent at the Reserve, and hitchhikes to his destination. He empties all of the food out of his backpack, and goes to the nearest convenience store to replenish his staples. He could be sitting pretty, watching the game right now, nowhere near where anyone is looking for him. And he could stay there for quite some time. I don't think that is beyond the realm of possibility. MOO
Good thinking, certainly plausible.

Yes, but to do what Gabby was hoping to do, have a great channel and social media presence that generated revenue, she needed to be doing this sort of content creation multiple days per week, every week. Him needing to leave so she could finally get one video made after how long on the trip?? I’d say if that is what happened, they should have just realized this wasn’t going to work and go home. Being successful on the internet takes a lot of work.
As all the songs say: Breaking up is hard to do.

I completely agree that was one reason why he left was to create space after the DV incident. However, it also seems odd to me that if he went to FL to “save money” by closing out the storage unit, imagine the money spent on last minute plane tickets. How did Brian get to and from the airport? In the police video, Gabby explained Brian took the keys and tried stopping her from entering the van. She specifically stated she didn’t want want to be alone or to be away from him. Don’t recall the exact verbiage. I know she was an experienced outdoorsman, but to be left in the desert all alone for several days? So much left unanswered and I can only pray her family gets closer in this tragic event.

I agree that using her card was indeed illegal I'm just saying he may not necessarily have been aware it was illegal IF they had been sharing the account all along (and it's just an assumption that they were). It's just my speculation that the use of her card was not intentional theft but rather the mindless continued use of it. In any case, it it is very fortunate that it is illegal and was easily proven so an indictment was obtained.

MOO of course
That would be one more way to control her, insist on having access to her money. He had already taken over her van, dirtied it up while she was busy on her project, denigrated her work, and decided how much "time he would give her" to work that day in Moab. He was trying to cut her off at the knees every which way he possibly could, to keep her at his mediocre level.

IMO

Last edited:
48464987-10034269-Laundrie_was_last_seen_at_the_Carlton_Reserve_five_miles_from_hi-a-1_1632782348366.jpg

So this does look like a fanny pack on the bigger pack hip belt, pushing the belt buckle off to one side.
Cody Lundin Basic Survival Kit

If BL is a Lundin fan (first thing I thought of when I heard he hiked barefoot) BL is not camping in average, run-of-the-mill spots IMO.

LOL if he doesn’t have much more than a Fanny pack full of stuff like that and his bare feet, he’s not going to survive anywhere but a KOA campground.

Could someone please help me find the photo of BL and his Dad out hiking - BL has a multi-day pack on. I have googled this but cannot find it, however I saw it here. IIRC Rickshawfan was commenting about the off-center way he was wearing the belt.

I'm asking because if BL truly is a devotee of the barefoot Arizona survivalist Cody Lundin, then I think he is wearing the fanny pack that Lundin says you should never be without -a survival pack. If he is following this it could explain why he showed up hitchhiking with what only appeared to be a tarp IMO.
Here is Daily Mail article posted by @redfishingirl that has the picture of BL and his dad in hiking gear. @RickshawFan comments as you say re. the belt -- conversation from 9/27
Protesters gather outside Brian Laundrie's parents' house as swamp hunt is scaled back | Daily Mail Online

I just don’t understand where he is getting money from for long term, you would need a fair amount to last a while, long term he would probably need to get a job, cash in hand maybe, then it runs the risk of someone recognising him. Does anyone know if the FBI can look into the parents bank accounts because BL is now a fugitive or because BL’s an adult legally they’re not allowed? I’ve always wondered if they gave him cash.
Providing that he would be:

a. living either in a warm climate area camp type place or perhaps a family or abandoned cabin (no rent)

b. and assuming he’d be subsisting on very meager and simple food,

then his parents could send him online funds by burner phone, to an account hidden by a VPN, indefinitely.

Could someone please help me find the photo of BL and his Dad out hiking - BL has a multi-day pack on. I have googled this but cannot find it, however I saw it here. IIRC Rickshawfan was commenting about the off-center way he was wearing the belt.

I'm asking because if BL truly is a devotee of the barefoot Arizona survivalist Cody Lundin, then I think he is wearing the fanny pack that Lundin says you should never be without -a survival pack. If he is following this it could explain why he showed up hitchhiking with what only appeared to be a tarp IMO.
Here is Daily Mail article posted by @redfishingirl that has the picture of BL and his dad in hiking gear. @RickshawFan comments as you say re. the belt -- conversation from 9/27
Protesters gather outside Brian Laundrie's parents' house as swamp hunt is scaled back | Daily Mail Online

I agree. The cafe incident did not bode well for the future project in general IMO. But Gabby seemed adamant so I can’t imagine she’d give up on such a major part of why she decided to do the van life thing in the first place. Maybe she thought editing the content would get easier and be less time consuming with time? It’s impossible to know for sure but yeah, I don’t think many realize how much work it actually takes to put content together and then have to churn it out almost daily. Especially someone like Gabby who had never done it before. /jmo

@SuperTmo, do we know if it was Gabby or BL who edited the video content and created the youtube video? It looks like someone else took her recent Instagram photos, then she posted the pics.

Login • Instagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member