Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #60

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But how does SB and the L’s explain the AT&T cell phone purchase on 9/14? SB has contradicted himself. What date did he say he had a conversation with BL? I thought he said 13th or 14th. I am so confused with these switcharoo dates. @Keyedin
Oh, also SB said the phone was purchased 9/4, sorry. I think I clarified the wrong date earlier.

Please correct me if I have this wrong, but the calls and texts started on the 10th. The Petitoes reported her missing on the 11th.

The Laundries called the police twice on the 10th and 3 times on the 11th. I have no idea why. Related to the calls? Or was something going on with Brian that was taking priority with them?

I believe her mother started on the 10th. Not sure about JP and stepfather.
As far as we know, the coroner still has her remains, is that correct?

Someone does. Either in Teton County or at a university or on a federal site. MOO

Last edited:
This is probably a stupid question, but oh well. If COD is revealed to be murder tomorrow at the presser, is an arrest warrant then issued for BL for her murder?

I don't think "murder" is a COD. COD is something like, say, blunt force trauma. Depending on the COD and other evidence, the FBI may decide to charge someone with murder, manslaughter, etc.

Amateur speculation only

Just speculation: IF Brian was as jealous as Rose says, what if he made Gabby show him her phone when he returned from Florida and found something that made him flip out? I keep thinking the issues were money and perhaps unfounded jealousy.

Would BL risk keeping them on him, with the potential to be tracked?

Police don't need the actual device to obtain information from the phones though, do they?

The network provider will have stored all calls and text message information. Do phone companies hand this over relatively easily, or would it require a warrant?

They possibly had external storage for photos/videos on iCloud or similar and requests could be made to those providers imo.

Third party apps may back up messages and be available even without the actual device? Android phones require a Google account usually. I wonder can LE request such account information? Just wondering whether these would all require a warrant to be obtained?
As long as the phones are off, they can't track those phones. So as long as he's not turning them on, he's not risking giving away any location.

Also, mistaking the 13th and 14th can be considered minor given everything going on, but losing an entire week? No way.

ETA: It is NOT minor, but between mixing up the 13th and 14th or the 6th/7th and 14th, it would be a much easier explained discrepancy.
I'll give him a pass I guess, but mighty faulty record keeping. No calendar?jmo

I don't think "murder" is a COD. COD is something like, say, blunt force trauma. Depending on the COD and other evidence, the FBI may decide to charge someone with murder, manslaughter, etc.

Amateur speculation only
Right. I guess I should have been more specific in saying if the COD is revealed to be gunshot wounds, strangulation, etc, would an arrest warrant for homicide then be issued for BL

Manner of death = Homicide, Suicide, Accidental, Natural causes, Undetermined.

Cause of death = stuff like gunshot wound, blunt force trauma, sharp force trauma, asphyxiation, drowning, burns, poison, heart failure, hypothermia etc.

bbm
Yes, I think so, for BL, he of limited imagination and logic.
I think he had to have been a little freaked, still trying to think up an iron-clad story for the 'rents, knowing that Gabby's parents would want info, too, um, that is, after he is in the wind. Grrrrr.
But, he had the presence of mind to know exactly what he needed to do. (IMOO)

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #60

From the evidence we know, I think he consulted with someone (his parents?) prior to the excursions he took on the 29th, and he swung into action. MOO

My thoughts, as well. Odd GP would text her mom at 5am, that before sun up.

Which text was sent this early? If it was the Stan text, I can definitely see why Gabby or whoever would just want someone to please help Stan if he was repeatedly calling or texting before 5am!

If it was the Yosemite text, that is stranger...

I have a question. I've seen the Bethune video, a lot. I've watched it at regular speed, slo-mo, and even double speed because you should really see that dead bugs (right smack in the middle of the windshield) butt blowing in the wind at 2x. I have seen no sign at all of any van door closing surreptitiously so could someone please tell me where this is supposed to have occurred in the video?

Right. I guess I should have been more specific in saying if the COD is revealed to be gunshot wounds, strangulation, etc, would an arrest warrant for homicide then be issued for BL

I think it would have to go to a grand jury, for an indictment. But we don't know if one hasn't already been issued but just sealed right now. Depends on the evidence they have gathered so far, and whether they think it's enough to prove a crime has been committed by BL, or not.

Would BL risk keeping them on him, with the potential to be tracked?

Police don't need the actual device to obtain information from the phones though, do they?

The network provider will have stored all calls and text message information. Do phone companies hand this over relatively easily, or would it require a warrant?

They possibly had external storage for photos/videos on iCloud or similar and requests could be made to those providers imo.

Third party apps may back up messages and be available even without the actual device? Android phones require a Google account usually. I wonder can LE request such account information? Just wondering whether these would all require a warrant to be obtained?
Also, it's worth noting that while call logs, data logs and message logs indicating sending and receiving numbers are easily obtained, message contents are not. Service providers are notoriously difficult to deal with on getting message contents with a subpoena. Most of the time they will tell you this information is not stored on their servers past a certain date.

If messages are backed up the cloud, that is one avenue of potential recovery. There are also forensic analysts who can pull information from phones, if they have the physical device available to them.

So short answer, there will be a lot of information avaliable from the phone records, but message contents will probably not be part of it.

It's also doubtful GP's grandpa would be calling and leaving multiple messages that early, enough to warrant a message to ask mom to help him so that he'd stop calling. Very strange.
If someone was calling and texting repeatedly at 5am, I would think most people would be concerned and answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734