Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How soon after finding gabby did they report that it was homicide? Was it 2 days? Or the same day?
If 2 days, that's plenty of time. But same day, on site, I would think that would be impossible to say.

she was found 9/19...the autopsy was performed 9/21, and the initial manner of death (homicide) was announced on that day...

Also with regard to the De Soto pictures, how likely would it be that the nephews also came with a complete change of clothes for a short outing? In the confirmed picture we see one of them in pale yellow top and khaki shorts. In the other photos, they are wearing bright blue tops and dark blue shorts.
Maybe they went swimming?

Did anyone notice if an officer went with him to retrieve it? Or ask why he was holding it from her?

Yes, the female ranger accompanies him back to the passenger side of the van. He reaches in and grabs the phone and does something to it (it's very quick, maybe turns it on?) and then hands it to her. It would be interesting if he actually unlocked it. Because that would mean he can definitely use Gabby's phone without her.

The key word is "National." A National Forest is federal land, while a State Forest would fall under state jurisdiction. There's almost no doubt this will be a federal case tried in federal court. JMOO
Not really. The state does not lose jurisdiction merely because a crime was committed in a national forest. See US Code 16-480:

16 U.S. Code § 480. Civil and criminal jurisdiction
The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.

(June 4, 1897, ch. 2, § 1, 30 Stat. 36; Mar. 1, 1911, ch. 186, § 12, 36 Stat. 963.)
16 U.S. Code § 480 - Civil and criminal jurisdiction

Very accurate too. I've taken many trips out West but half the distance of BL's drive and it's almost exactly the same numbers. I stopped for gas 4 times only because I needed a little more than 1/2 tank so I would just stop and fill it all the way.

I too believe he left pretty quickly after killing her and he would seriously be cutting it close upon arrival in North Port. Driving straight through for 35/36 hours is extremely dangerous, just as much as a drunk driver, he would have needed stop to rest time added in to drive safely without drawing attention to himself. JMO
You’re probably right, but adrenaline is a strange thing, too. If he left shortly after killing her, I bet his adrenaline was thru the roof. JMO. I agree a normal person would have to stop for rest, but a person that had just killed someone & their adrenaline is thru the roof…maybe not? Idk… All JMO. :)

How soon after finding gabby did they report that it was homicide? Was it 2 days? Or the same day?
If 2 days, that's plenty of time. But same day, on site, I would think that would be impossible to say.

It was ruled a homicide on the day the autopsy was done. Meaning they found the cause and manner of death that day. The rest of the time was used ruling out all other possible causes through process of elimination.

JMO

She may also have been inebriated or under influence of something. She may not have been able to fight back.

Pretty sure in the Moab video, Gabby stated they did not drink alcohol. I've only seen one sm pic that Gabby posted of herself referencing marijuana in a positive light....not judging....just stating... In my past experience with marijuana, you are never totally out of it unless it is laced w something. You can still manage pretty well.
As far as some other substance is concerned, I doubt they were using. Neither Gabby or BL seemed the type.

But, I think if it were possible, she fought back.

Last edited:
Ted Williams: Brian Laundrie’s behavior ‘befuddling’ after Gabby Petito went missing

Williams said prosecutors need to prove ‘conscious of guilt’ against Laundrie

TED WILLIAMS:

Well, what you have here, unfortunately, at this stage, is more of a circumstantial evidence case. But there have been many individuals convicted on circumstantial evidence. What you have to show, also, here is something that we, as lawyers say, something called conscious of guilt.

And that is the fact that Brian Laundrie returned home on September 1st, without Gabby. And you've got to believe, Neil, that if they lived in a house with Brian's mother and father, the first thing you say is, ‘where is Gabby?’

And so it's just befuddling that on September 6th through 8th, you're going to go camping with Brian without without Gabby. All of these things are part of the puzzle. I would have to also believe that at this stage, the FBI has some physical evidence and they are trying to put that together.

I can tell you what our defense attorneys are going to do in this case. And that is they're going to say, yeah, they were out there in that Grand Teton Park. They had a fight.

Brian then took off and came back across country. He doesn't know what happened to Gabby. I guarantee you that's going to be the defense in this case.

Gabby Petito autopsy: Expert weigh in after coroner's 'manual strangulation' ruling

<Snip>

Dr. Cyril Wecht has been involved in some of the country’s most high-profile death investigations, including those involving President John F. Kennedy and JonBenét Ramsey. He spoke to Fox News Digital on Tuesday, immediately following Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue’s press conference and the office’s subsequent announcement that Petito died from "death by manual strangulation/throttling."

Sign of manual strangulation, compared to ligature strangulation, would typically still be detected on a body that had been exposed to the elements for so long, Wecht said Tuesday when reached by phone. Wecht spoke to Fox before the Teton County Coroner’s office released the official cause of death determination document, and was predicting at the time that Petito, 22, had died from manual strangulation.

"Manual strangulation produces more anatomical injuries than ligature ... you can strangle someone with the ligature without breaking anything underneath," Wecht said. "Ligature, he would not have been able to make that determination after three or four weeks because the soft tissues would have been decomposed and shrunken, dehydrated and the ligature, if there was one, might or might not have still been in place."

Wecht added that there would have had to be "anatomical defects of one or more fractures to the structures in the neck."

<Snip>

"They brought in experts, or the FBI did. Anthropology and radiology and entomology and toxicology, as well as, of course, the forensic pathology."

Speaking generally, Wecht said some signs that typically point to strangulation include fractures or defects of the hyoid bone, thyroid cartilage, and, in men, the Adam’s apple, among other structures in the neck.

He added that entomology, toxicology have "nothing to do with strangulation."
There could be many more injuries on her body which have not been made public.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 7.20.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 7.20.47 PM.png
    725.4 KB · Views: 78
Not really. The state does not lose jurisdiction merely because a crime was committed in a national forest. See US Code 16-480:

16 U.S. Code § 480. Civil and criminal jurisdiction
The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.

(June 4, 1897, ch. 2, § 1, 30 Stat. 36; Mar. 1, 1911, ch. 186, § 12, 36 Stat. 963.)
16 U.S. Code § 480 - Civil and criminal jurisdiction
It's federal land.
Bridger-Teton National Forest - Dispersed Camping Areas (Undeveloped Campground)

WTH????

Dog The Bounty Hunter Calls Brian Laundrie ‘A Gentleman’ And Says He Killed Gabby Petito While Calming Her Down (msn.com)

Snip

“I was told by a very close source that he was a gentleman,” he told The Sun as he recounted some of the ideas in his head about how Laundrie may have reacted after killing Petito.
In that video he says that when you grab someone by the face it's because they are being verbal. What?? When you grab someone by the face you are crossing another person's boundary! I say this as someone who abhors having my face touched by anyone else, but regardless, you don't quiet another person by grabbing his or her face (MOO).

Out of curiosity, how do charges work in regards to things like credit card fraud? Is it just one blanket charge, or is it a separate offense for each individual use of a card? For instance, if Brian got gas and then used the card at a drive thru McDonalds is that one charge or two separate charges?

I can only speak for Oregon state law up until about 2005, but yes, each time the card was used fraudulently, it would be a separate charge.

Each one of those charges could be a misdemeanor, based on the amount, but there was a provision to combined a series of bad acts into a single felony charge if the combined to over a certain dollar amount. I don't remember if it was $500 or $1000.

Of course it's likely to have been strung out across multiple states.

In the strict technical sense, any credit/bank card fraud could come under federal juris, since it's almost impossible to buy something with a debit or credit card without some aspect of the transaction becoming "interstate."

Normally the FBI and US attorney isn't going to bite on somebody stealing grandma's credit card to order a pizza, but in cases like this it's a tool in the tool box.

I'm not looking to re-hash "storage gate" but I wanted to check on something and can't remember where I read or heard this. Can anyone remember where it was said that Brian and Gabby were looking to extend their trip?

I think it was SB but I'm not certain.

This story is dated October 5

Brian Laundrie's family says this is why he went to Florida without Gabby Petito

Steven P. Bertolino, the Long Island lawyer who has been issuing statements on behalf of the Laundrie family, released this explanation to FOX 5 News on Tuesday: "Brian flew home to Tampa from SLC on 08/17 and returned to SLC on 08/23 to rejoin Gabby. To my knowledge, Brian and Gabby paid for the flights as they were sharing expenses. Brian flew home to obtain some items and empty and close the storage unit to save money as they contemplated extending the road trip."

It was SB.

Laundrie flew home to "obtain some items and empty and close the [couple's] storage unit to save money as they contemplated extending the road trip."
Brian Laundrie flew home and then back to Utah in middle of road trip with Gabby Petito

yes! He did say that. good job finding that.

keep in mind tho, this is BL's attorney saying this so it is actually hearsay unless it can be proven. The attorney may be able to prove that the trip happened and storage locker emptied. The rest is spin. imo.

Yes, the female ranger accompanies him back to the passenger side of the van. He reaches in and grabs the phone and does something to it (it's very quick, maybe turns it on?) and then hands it to her. It would be interesting if he actually unlocked it. Because that would mean he can definitely use Gabby's phone without her.

Very good point!

We do not know who's blood it is, or how it got there. Possibly from an animal disturbing her body, possibly from wounds he gave her, or defensive wounds she inflicted on him. Or something the FBI thought suspicious, but is nothing. I also wondered about that.
Would they have left the blood there if that's what it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89