Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fair thought. One I considered even initially. Then I wondered why go pick up the car and wait a total of 5 days after he left to alert LE to your concerns. Everyone is different as a parent, but I feel I would have been concerned the very first night he didn’t come home, note or no note.

MOO here.
I believe BL slipped out of the house sometime after parents went to bed on Monday. That was the last day they saw him, acc to corrected info. I think the initial Tuesday date that was reported was the day they realized he was gone. He may have left a note or a text, using that new phone his mother got him and that he left at home. We do not know any of that for sure but LE does.
Either the parents knew that Carlton was his favorite walk about spot, or he told him in note, so they went there finding the Mustang parked in the lot at entrance. The parents supposedly searched half the day there for him, left a note on the Mustang asking him to come home, and then returned again on Wednesday, searching again. They took the car that day because they got a notice to remove it and risked impoundment. That the notice was there on Wednesday would affirm that the car was not there when LE swept the lot Monday night.
I think they agonized on Thursday, consulted with attorney, about what to do. BL was an adult with no warrant out at that time; he was free to go anywhere he pleased. After refusing to speak or cooperate with authorities just days before, it had to be a difficult decision to ask them for help. They had to have filed a missing persons report with endangerment issues. And they then had to give LE access to the house and BL’s things.
BL was reported missing 3 days after parents noticed he was gone. Tues morning to Wed=1. Wed to Thurs = 2. Thurs to Fri = 3.
I applaud LE in exhibiting exemplary professionalism in this case. Dealing with the Laundries has to be galling

I have never thought that BL would have gone to the Carlton Reserve. Perhaps he went there earlier so that his DNA would be there and his parents staged the Mustang. IMO the only reason to go there would be to suicide but IMO his body would have been found by now if that was the case.

I am now tending towards agreeing with John Walsh that BL is in Mexico. However, I'm wondering how it could have been possible so I need your help.

My bet is that his parents could have driven him to the border on the 7th September (as they claimed they left the family camping trip on the 7th even though they booked until the 8th). There is apparently a border crossing where we have been told it is easy to get through. Then he could have walked across. Does anyone know what towns are near that border? Would it be Brownsville? It's a 21 hour trip by car so would take at least two days but with three drivers on the way there, and two drivers on the return, the whole return trip for the parents could have taken three days so they would be back by the 10th September. North Port Police showed up at the family home on 11 September.

Maybe it would have been easier for BL to fly from Tampa to Mexico City which takes 6 hours but it is not direct or from Orlando there are direct 4 hour flights. In either of these two modes of getting to Mexico, he would have to have used his own ID and would need to have had a passport, Covid vaccine proof or a Covid test. He would possibly not have had time to get a fake ID unless they are instant online. He could apply for that when in Mexico.

Although US citizens do not need a visa for Mexico for short stays, they are required to obtain a Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) document to present upon arrival at Mexican border control. Also known as a tourist card for Mexico, the FMM is an obligatory requirement for all US citizens traveling more than 20 kilometers into Mexican territory, and planning to stay more than 72 hours. A Mexican tourist card for United States citizens is a single-entry document which becomes invalid once the holder leaves Mexico, meaning that it is necessary to submit a new FMM for every trip to the country.

Mexico Entry and FMM Requirements for US Citizens

Many US citizens I have met in my travels (I am Australian) have retired in Mexico and love it there especially in Jalisco. It is also very cheap to live there and has a good climate. BL could blend in there well as he has dark hair (if he grows it) and can speak Spanish. It is quite possible that BL's parents have contacts there where BL could live for a while until he can find work. His face would not be as recognisable there as it would be in the US. The parents could use this contact to communicate with and send money to BL when necessary as he would have left with a stash of cash.

Hiking in the winter in the US IMO would be difficult in BL's situation. There are apparently over 1,000 fugitives from the US currently living in Mexico. Mexico will not extradite US citizens if they are likely to face the death penalty. I heard that the death penalty would be off the table for BL.

The problem with the Mexico scenario is that BL might have had to use his own identity to get into Mexico so there would be records. But with the focus of the FBI on the Carlton Reserve, have they even checked flights? If they have, did they check them for between 7th and 10th September when they believed BL was still living with his parents? BL has not been seen since 6th September.

What do you think?

JW has stated that he knew he would be the #1 suspect. He wanted to be ruled out as quickly as possible so that LE would concentrate on getting the real abductor/killer of Adam. I agree that talking to LE without a lawyer CAN be risky and I'm not opposed to a person getting a lawyer for this purpose. However, handing LE an attorney's business card when they are inquiring as to the whereabouts of a missing person? Gross.
I'm still waiting for one of our attorneys to weigh in on: "Can one adult legally hand out a "see my attorney" card for another adult who does not appear to be present?" BL is an adult, why would some other adult be able to (not) speak for him to LE? Or, maybe the question should be "Why would LE have to honor the card, if the adult wasn't present?".

Last edited:
MOO here.
I believe BL slipped out of the house sometime after parents went to bed on Monday. That was the last day they saw him, acc to corrected info. I think the initial Tuesday date that was reported was the day they realized he was gone. He may have left a note or a text, using that new phone his mother got him and that he left at home. We do not know any of that for sure but LE does.
Either the parents knew that Carlton was his favorite walk about spot, or he told him in note, so they went there finding the Mustang parked in the lot at entrance. The parents supposedly searched half the day there for him, left a note on the Mustang asking him to come home, and then returned again on Wednesday, searching again. They took the car that day because they got a notice to remove it and risked impoundment. That the notice was there on Wednesday would affirm that the car was not there when LE swept the lot Monday night.
I think they agonized on Thursday, consulted with attorney, about what to do. BL was an adult with no warrant out at that time; he was free to go anywhere he pleased. After refusing to speak or cooperate with authorities just days before, it had to be a difficult decision to ask them for help. They had to have filed a missing persons report with endangerment issues. And they then had to give LE access to the house and BL’s things.
BL was reported missing 3 days after parents noticed he was gone. Tues morning to Wed=1. Wed to Thurs = 2. Thurs to Fri = 3.
I applaud LE in exhibiting exemplary professionalism in this case. Dealing with the Laundries has to be galling
Did I see somewhere that there are gates at the entrance into Myakkahatchee Park that are closed at night?

If he left overnight, he wouldn't have been able to park there until it opened in the morning, if there is indeed a gate.

Last edited:
These people are PROFITING from the death of 22 year old. Gaining Money, moments of fame on camera, likes, clicks ... How vile!

For all intents and purposes, they are coffin riders.

MOO here.
That actually seems like a really plausible timeline--I wouldnt be surprised if you were right. If that ever comes to light, they are going to have to explain why in the original report they said they saw him with his back pack on and saw him going into the reserve (sorry, its so far back I'll never find the quote). It wouldnt surprise me if that was a smokescreen. Ive never been able to figure out how they knew where his car was unless they were there when he parked it--or drove him there themselves. MOO

MOO here.

That would be a reasonable explanation for the confusion in the dates the Ls reported they last saw B. I hadn't thought of this before. MOO

I'm still waiting for one of our attorneys to weigh in on: "Can one adult legally hand out a "see my attorney" card for another adult who does not appear to be present?" BL is an adult, why would some other adult be able to (not) speak for him to LE? Or, maybe the question should be "Why would LE have to honor the card, if the adult wasn't present?".
Well, to my understanding, SB is representing all 3? The parents used that card to let LE know they did not wish to cooperate in any way. They weren't going to talk or let LE into their home..."Go kick rocks, LE"! Without a warrant, LE has to honor their wishes, card or no card! During questioning, once a person asks for a lawyer, all questioning must stop. That's essentially what happened here. IMO.

I wonder what the reason is, after the final autopsy report, for the charges against BL to not be upgraded to murder…
An indictment needs to be handed down by the federal grand jury after the case has been presented to them. It could be that the case simply hasn't been presented yet. It could also be that the grand jury doesn't feel like it yet has enough info to indict.

These proceedings are secret, so we have no way of knowing where the grand jury currently stands on the matter. imo

Edit: It could also be that the feds and the state are currently squabbling about jurisdiction. imo

Last edited:
You know, you're right. Math is not my thing, but it looks like BL could have left as late as 9pm MST on Aug. 30th to make it to North Port by 10am Sept. 1 EST, if he drove straight through. Even if he'd stopped for a full night's sleep, that's still leaving morning/early afternoon on the 30th. Even the FBI is asking for anyone who saw them Aug. 27 - Aug. 30th. Wasn't the 30th text around 7am (don't quote me on that... I'm not sure where I saw it, so moo).

Crap. If the lady he hitchhiked back to Spread Creek with dropped him off between 6:30 - 7pm on the 29th, what was he doing through the morning of the 30th? I've always suspected he killed her late on the evening of the 29th, after returning from his hike and them fighting for awhile, so he picked up camp and left very late 29th/early 30th. This particular timeline makes me believe it even more, but maybe leaving even later than I'd thought. Because if he killed her on the 27th and then hiked, why would he come back to Spread Creek around 7pm on the 29th, with her already dead, and spend hours (like all night) there before leaving?

All this assuming he sent the 30th text from Spread Creek...
I Agree with you. MOO I have changed my mind from thinking he killed her on the 27th to your timeline of either late on the 29th or early on the 30th. I can not imagine any reason he would just hang around the area after killing her, I can’t come up with a single one. All my own thoughts and conjecture.

MOO here.
Not possible. The parents said they were out for several hours Monday 9/13 looking for him. They also reported last seeing him with a hiking pack with waist strap.

An indictment needs to be handed down by the federal grand jury after the case has been presented to them. It could be that the case simply hasn't been presented yet. It could also be that the grand jury doesn't feel like it yet has enough info to indict.

These proceedings are secret, so we have no way of knowing where the grand jury currently stands on the matter. imo
Thanks for this clarification!

Amen to that. All the public communication volleys from both attorney's, law enforcement, television personalities, and others is - to me in my opinion - just bizarre. And the people that eat up that nonsense are little better. From what I know - which probably wouldn't fit on the head of the figurative pin - Bertolino is spot on about the two he took a shot at. Indeed, neither's Q score is what they once were... and p=both are longing to launch new product. They need - in their business - attention and media presence on them.

BL and Gabby are Bertolino’s ONLY relevant product. And he is milking the publicity for all it is worth. jmo

Gabby Petito's family demands lawyer not use her photos, he says he hasn't used any

I have never thought that BL would have gone to the Carlton Reserve. Perhaps he went there earlier so that his DNA would be there and his parents staged the Mustang. IMO the only reason to go there would be to suicide but IMO his body would have been found by now if that was the case.

I am now tending towards agreeing with John Walsh that BL is in Mexico. However, I'm wondering how it could have been possible so I need your help.

My bet is that his parents could have driven him to the border on the 7th September (as they claimed they left the family camping trip on the 7th even though they booked until the 8th). There is apparently a border crossing where we have been told it is easy to get through. Then he could have walked across. Does anyone know what towns are near that border? Would it be Brownsville? It's a 21 hour trip by car so would take at least two days but with three drivers on the way there, and two drivers on the return, the whole return trip for the parents could have taken three days so they would be back by the 10th September. North Port Police showed up at the family home on 11 September.

Maybe it would have been easier for BL to fly from Tampa to Mexico City which takes 6 hours but it is not direct or from Orlando there are direct 4 hour flights. In either of these two modes of getting to Mexico, he would have to have used his own ID and would need to have had a passport, Covid vaccine proof or a Covid test. He would possibly not have had time to get a fake ID unless they are instant online. He could apply for that when in Mexico.

Although US citizens do not need a visa for Mexico for short stays, they are required to obtain a Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) document to present upon arrival at Mexican border control. Also known as a tourist card for Mexico, the FMM is an obligatory requirement for all US citizens traveling more than 20 kilometers into Mexican territory, and planning to stay more than 72 hours. A Mexican tourist card for United States citizens is a single-entry document which becomes invalid once the holder leaves Mexico, meaning that it is necessary to submit a new FMM for every trip to the country.

Mexico Entry and FMM Requirements for US Citizens

Many US citizens I have met in my travels (I am Australian) have retired in Mexico and love it there especially in Jalisco. It is also very cheap to live there and has a good climate. BL could blend in there well as he has dark hair (if he grows it) and can speak Spanish. It is quite possible that BL's parents have contacts there where BL could live for a while until he can find work. His face would not be as recognisable there as it would be in the US. The parents could use this contact to communicate with and send money to BL when necessary as he would have left with a stash of cash.

Hiking in the winter in the US IMO would be difficult in BL's situation. There are apparently over 1,000 fugitives from the US currently living in Mexico. Mexico will not extradite US citizens if they are likely to face the death penalty. I heard that the death penalty would be off the table for BL.

The problem with the Mexico scenario is that BL might have had to use his own identity to get into Mexico so there would be records. But with the focus of the FBI on the Carlton Reserve, have they even checked flights? If they have, did they check them for between 7th and 10th September when they believed BL was still living with his parents? BL has not been seen since 6th September.

What do you think?

I don't see what evidence JW has. But you stated "My bet is that his parents could have driven him to the border on the 7th September (as they claimed they left the family camping trip on the 7th even though they booked until the 8th)."

I don't quite see how that works.

The camping trip was Mon Sept 6-Wed Sept 8

They did check in on Monday, not Tues. They had reserved the spot for the 6 & 7, checking out on the 8th. That was always the plan as far as I know. Two nights were booked allowing them access to the camping area part of Wed daytime.

Are you suggesting they snuck out of the campground on the 6th after checking in? And Cassie is lying? And the photos are fake? And no one from the campground noticed their paid-for prime spot was empty?

Seems unlikely to me.

JMO

Well, to my understanding, SB is representing all 3? The parents used that card to let LE know they did not wish to cooperate in any way. They weren't going to talk or let LE into their home..."Go kick rocks, LE"! Without a warrant, LE has to honor their wishes, card or no card! During questioning, once a person asks for a lawyer, all questioning must stop. That's essentially what happened here. IMO.
I understand that, still would like to know why 2 adults, via passing a card to LE, can represent another adult not present. I don't think LE laid eyes on BL since Moab, but am willing to be corrected....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBMonsterFighter