Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Laundrie search team adds a K-9 unit. Here’s why

K9-diesel.jpg

Photo of K9 Diesel, provided by the Pasco County Sheriff's Office
  • The dog, named Diesel, has been used before to detect human remains.
  • He is a 3-year-old Labrador retriever.
The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office, which is located about 1.5 hours away from the Carlton Reserve, told NBC New York that the FBI and the North Port police requested the dog to work on the campground.

• Per WFLA, the dog’s arrival came as a number of law enforcement vehicles arrived at the campground. It’s unclear what all of the activity was about.

I can't for the life of me, understand why training exercises would be conducted anywhere near where there has been an active search by multiple agencies.
If they trample all over possible evidence, then if he were found, a lawyer could argue that (whatever) was planted etc...
They know what they are doing, I just fail to get it.
MOO

Probably because the people training (which has elements of extra scrutiny that other searches don't have) are the same people who were searching before - but this time, with the goal of de-briefing with various experts and observers.

It's usually the same people in both cases - and people realize they can improve, so they do it again, this time with organized "classes" before and after, so that leaders can point to mistakes from last time, and then see if they happen again.

I doubt any lawyer could argue that these searchers compromised the "evidence" (it is a search for a live human or a dead one - not for the victim of a crime, but for a possible criminal). I've never been in a training exercise where everyone wasn't already highly trained and we were just looking for...better practices. Teaching those practices where we knew we could.

I agree. Why wouldn’t they have called the Laundries? Lol. It’s like yeah I guess they could have called the police any time they want. However, they wouldn’t call until they suspect something is wrong. IMO, the Petitos took a logical step in calling the Laundries first (why would you wanna call the cops if nothing is wrong), & the Laundries’ behavior deprived them of 10 days worth of time to get to Gabby. All JMO tho :)
The Ls were far from helpful it's true.
But the Ps were in no way constrained from calling LE at any point they chose to do so.
The Ls didn't tell them any lies, they simply ghosted GB's family.
Not admirable behavior imo but are the Ls liable for remaining silent?
IANAL
jmho

So. In my view if she was “in panic mode” allegedly trying to contact the laundries was poor judgement. Sure maybe place a quick call. But the instant there was no answer I’d think that panic would lead to another approach. That’s my opinion.

So what other approach would you advise? Daughter and her boyfriend both appear to be missing. His family is unavailable, perhaps on walkabout. Would you call in a MP report on say, Day 7-8 since you last got a text from your daughter? Day 5? Day 8? You'd probably look at those last texts and realize that your intuition that something is amiss has gotten stronger.

What would that other approach be?

So. In my view if she was “in panic mode” allegedly trying to contact the laundries was poor judgement. Sure maybe place a quick call. But the instant there was no answer I’d think that panic would lead to another approach. That’s my opinion.
Who else should she have contacted?
The person known to be travelling with her daughter is the most obvious choice, his family the next most obvious choice?

So, the laundries created no delay? Is that what I’m reading? I’m very confused what all the “delay” fuss is about. Head spinning. Lol

The “delay” was set in motion the day their son arrived home in his girlfriends van without said girlfriend and didn’t even think to find out if she was at home, missing or what and failed to notify her family. Communication is key and if there had been more communication from one side then perhaps no delay… JMO

Hmmm. Not sure if it was last night or the night before she said something along the lines of - The Laundrie's know their son's not dead. Reason being they would've hired a better lawyer.

Does that make sense to anyone or is it just me?
No, it does not make sense to me. She has said a couple of things that really don't make sense.

Last edited:
I understand we have legal rights to the 5th amendment. However, I know for certain I would have not acted as did the Laundries.

If there were even a question that my child had murdered someone he loved, I would fear for my safety and the rest of my family with him under my roof. He may have already killed “the love of his life.” What assurance do I have that he loves us too much to kill us, too?

It’s not like we haven’t had forums on WS with people who slaughtered their families after seemingly living a normal life prior to that, and if Brian were my child I’d know he may have killed already, no matter what he is telling me.

<modsnip>

So, JMO IMO MOO—if there were even a hint that my adult child could have killed a loved one—— no, never under my roof again. I’d pay for a lawyer, maybe, but from a distance.

BBM
excellent point. JMO

The Laundries decided to ghost GP's family's calls. The Laundries certainly had their reasons for the ghosting. However, the frustrations expressed by GP's family due to the Laundries' behavior is 100% understandable. Additionally, people have heard directly from GP's family regarding their loss and the horrible, painful, situation. The Laundrie parents have remained silent. Yes, it is their right to remain silent. However, it is perfectly acceptable for people to draw inferences regarding their silence.

Constitutional rights aren't situational though. People don't need a "good reason" to exercise them.

I realize many people think BL and his parents should have acted differently after he returned to FL. But to suggest he (or they) made a mistake by exercising legal rights just for "the heck of it?" I'm not understanding that perspective.
JMO

BL should have talked to police when they wanted to talk to him in Florida. It would have shown him to be a decent human being. Exercising legal rights has a time and a place, which is not when a young woman is missing, presumably in danger and alone, possibly dead. He should have thought of her, not himself. That he thought only of himself speaks volumes. That applies to the parents too, IMO.
I don't know how else to say it, that's as clear as I can be.

I ran across this document by happenstance. As far as I know, neither phone has been found. First, where in the heck are they? If Brian is found with his phone, can he use the 5th to deny LE the passwords? What if the Laundries had the phone and their name on the account, would they be able to use it?
https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/LSB/LSB10416

So what other approach would you advise? Daughter and her boyfriend both appear to be missing. His family is unavailable, perhaps on walkabout. Would you call in a MP report on say, Day 7-8 since you last got a text from your daughter? Day 5? Day 8? You'd probably look at those last texts and realize that your intuition that something is amiss has gotten stronger.

What would that other approach be?
In my personal opinion, at that very time, would be call police first. Let them contact the other parties. Trust the process and system that’s in place. My opinion and based on my prior behavior, I’m pretty confident that it is the best approach. I realize it’s not a populat perspective here. But it’s forthcoming and sincere.

This video was posted earlier today by NBC New York. It’s a really great interview (IMO) with forensics expert Joseph Scott Morgan discussing Gabby’s autopsy. I watched it earlier & thought some of y’all might like to watch it as well. So, I thought I’d share! :) IMO it’s very informative. He talks about the possible DNA, explanation of the COD, his thoughts on what the coroner said, timeline of releasing the info (MOD, COD…), etc. Lots of good tid bits of info in there IMO.

ETA: embedded link
I always have liked Joseph Morgan.
Thanks for posting the video.

IMO, the outrage directed at the Ls stems from the very human desire for someone to answer for this terrible crime. And so far the one person who appears to be the culprit cannot answer for it. But the Ls had absolutely nothing to do with the murder, and even if we take the most damning assumption of events - that BL called them and told them the whole story before even returning to FL - it was already too late. Even if they are actively hiding him and helping him evade capture, they did not commit this murder and could have done nothing to stop it. I think the Ls are just more collateral damage in this sorry situation, and right now they are just scapegoats for the real culprit, who is in hiding like a coward.
IMO, the situation would have been the same even if BL was in custody. I've seen in another case - the parents of the accused are lambasted.

Last edited:
edited and BBM to correct dates

With all the theories flying around, there’s just one point I keep coming back to that baffles me. (I have zero expertise or experience and I’m in Australia so totally different laws.) Can anyone explain this to me with facts?
When NPPD went to the L’s home on the very first visit 9/10 was this not a ‘welfare check’ for GP & BL instigated by calls from the P’s. (Or on any subsequent visits 9/10 & 9/11) If so, how are LE not REQUIRED to at least sight individual/s.
How can they possibly determine location or lack of knowledge of same on the say so of BL’s parents? Neither GP or BL are minors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member