Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also assume they at least have previously brought service revolvers or whatever police normally carry but these look like fairly large guns. These searchers look rather "tactical" ... I wonder what agency they are with? MOO

Disclaimer - I know nothing at all about guns or law enforcement ;)

Edit to add - I know that there could be some dangerous wildlife in the area. But it is also a public park - would campers or hikers normally take rifles like that for protection? All MOO

But it is also a public park - would campers or hikers normally take rifles like that for protection?

In my experience, No. In Florida the general public can only open carry a firearm if they are in the process of camping, hunting, or fishing, (or on the way to or from those activities.) Nobody hiking there under normal conditions would carry or need a weapon, with the possible exception of those with concealed carry permits aka concealed firearm permits, and those folks are typically carrying a firearm for self defense against criminals....all in my opinion.

With that said, I would want to hike/walk in groups of at least 2 there, especially around dawn and dusk, due to some of the predators evidently present in the reserve. I would expect most of those predators to avoid humans since there's apparently so much of their natural/preferred prey there. But there's always the odd chance that one is too young, injured or old to hunt its natural prey and might cause problems for small humans, dogs, or a jogger that might trigger a chase instinct. MOO

edit to add a link: In Florida, you can openly carry a gun when fishing or traveling to or from a fishing or hunting trip

It isn't just a matter of whether LE have ill intent (which some do, perhaps most do not. But there are plenty of examples of LE extracting false confessions, etc.), it is a matter of how your words will be presented and perceived in a court of law. There is a very good reason cops and lawyers tell you not to speak to LE, innocent or not. You'd be well advised to listen to them.

interesting.

I wonder how the Moab police stop would have concluded if neither GP or BL had spoken to the police.

eta:
Also, will the presence of body cams now cause people to say: no comment to police at traffic stops? and other inquisitions?

For the record, I am hurting for the Petito family. The first horror of this case to me was when I read that Gabby was missing and her travel companion went home without her, and that family were all refusing to talk. That would have just damaged me terribly had it happened with my kids. Though initially, it was if the kid were in Gabby’s situation.

But, sadly, it is possible that ones child could do as BL did. That was an even more insidious horror that took time for me to absorb.

So, I wholeheartedly support Gabby’s parents in disparaging BL, wanting him to get full consequences, and suing the Laundries for all the pain and suffering inflicted in what happened.

"...if you are innocent you have nothing to worry about. Seriously. Nothing."

I think these folks would challenge that line of thinking: Innocence Project - Help us put an end to wrongful convictions!
Attorney guidance is always good advice.

having a lawyer present to guide you is good advice
MOO: Because the messages, texts, emails contained info that shocked them to the core, maybe? Like maybe they thought Gabby was home and fine like BL appeared to be. And the info that she was not really got to them do that they could not think straight and they called for help. Someone they knew experienced with such situations. For advice.
MOO, if I were under the impression that my son’s girlfriend was safe and sound per what he told me, per he had come home before without her, then get calls/texts from her family that they can’t reach her, my first reaction would not be we need an attorney. I can’t quite make the leap/connection going from everything is fine to we need an attorney without there being knowledge or suspected knowledge that one was going to be needed. The L’s definitely don’t seem to have a problem not thinking straight, I think if that were the case they would not have contacted their attorney, they would have talked to LE, they would have contacted the Petito’s on the 11th. Their silence takes self control, especially when it involves a young woman who lived in their home. No way do I think they’re silence means they don’t care about Gabby, I just think they are doing what they think they need to do for their son. MOO

MOO, if I were under the impression that my son’s girlfriend was safe and sound per what he told me, per he had come home before without her, then get calls/texts from her family that they can’t reach her, my first reaction would not be we need an attorney. I can’t quite make the leap/connection going from everything is fine to we need an attorney without there being knowledge or suspected knowledge that one was going to be needed. The L’s definitely don’t seem to have a problem not thinking straight, I think if that were the case they would not have contacted their attorney, they would have talked to LE, they would have contacted the Petito’s on the 11th. Their silence takes self control, especially when it involves a young woman who lived in their home. No way do I think they’re silence means they don’t care about Gabby, I just think they are doing what they think they need to do for their son. MOO

First thing I’d do is talk to my son. BL was right there in that not so big house. I suspect getting the attorney had a lot to do with his response.

See to me, I'm not certain that they at that point in time "contacted their attorney". I think personal stories are taboo, so I'll just say there are people that utilize an attorney on an ongoing manner... typically business owners, for example. They may very likely have their attorneys business card(s) on hand. So, were someone to comes to the door and express something that may sound ominous, they may just jump to action to refer the person to the attorney. I'd imagine that if I walked into Boeing and started asking serious legal type questions, I'd get referred to Counsel... no matter if there was guilt or not. Yes, I know that's not a 1:1 analogy, but the concept is still there.

Judging from comments I've read in these threads, some people are "praying" that he is found alive for the purpose of seeing to it that he is EXECUTED in the name of the people of the United States, considering THAT homicide as justifiable. I do not want anyone to be executed in my name. This is my opinion. jmo

IMO, the fact that BL still lived with his parents is sort of a moot point, because Gabby lived with his parents too.
Seems kind of pointless to have your own place if your plan is to save up enough money to travel the US in a van. Sure, they had some nice items along with them on the trip, but neither really seemed to require a lot of material items. I think living at home was a means to achieve that traveling plan. If I was planning to leave for an extended period of time, I wouldn't want to be locked into a lease or deal with monthly maintenance of a home. Sure, you can sublet, if allowed, or rent out your own home, but those come with their own risks that young 20 somethings probably don't want.

IMO, where he lived doesn't really say much. Returning there after potentially committing a crime, however, does. He could have been looking for comfort and stability, especially if he was supposed to be on medication for anxiety.

Edited spelling, again. No one wants to travel in a can.

interesting.

I wonder how the Moab police stop would have concluded if neither GP or BL had spoken to the police.

eta:
SBM
LOL!! All LE would have had is empirical evidence that BL was speeding and using a vehicle to evade the law. (felony). Just a very slight shift in Gabby's attitude at that moment, and with help from LE instead of their bro-ing the guy, could have resulted in her charging him with vehicular theft. They could have taken him in for the felony.......if only. And she could have continued on, making friends in the campgrounds. Oh, if only we could have seen the video she did after she got rid of him and started healing.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members