Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's a potential murder, which is a felony, as opposed to felony-murder (which is the death of someone during the course of committing a felony for which you can be charged with murder - like if you run over and kill a pedestrian in your get away car after robbing the bank.) In other words under the felony murder rule, the element of intent required for murder is not required. You don't need to intend to kill the pedestrian to be charged with murder in that case. MOO JMO IMO

Hmm. Or like if you steal someone's credit cards *and* their vehicle *and* their phone. It could add up. Could be a felony. Especially if the person whose stuff you're stealing fights back and tries to get the keys or her stuff from you and you lose it.

And I can hope.

I very much look forward to the capture of BL, if he is out there. I'm guessing this may well become a Federal murder case
The problem is, he may be deceased, and his remains impossible to find. Or, if not, what will cause him to be apprehended now, if he wasn’t in the past 35 days? I hope my pessimism will be proven to be unwarranted.

The problem is, he may be deceased, and his remains impossible to find. Or, if not, what will cause him to be apprehended now, if he wasn’t in the past 35 days? I hope my pessimism will be proven to be unwarranted.
I really believe that he is in an empty rental near his parents. Many of us have thought this from the very beginning. No one fleeing LE drives their vehicle to the reserve they wish to hide in, thus leading LE straight to their trail. Jmo

There is absolutely no evidence of this. It's not uncommon for someone of Gabby's age to have their own bank account.

Had the parents been on that account, they presumably would have discovered something was off much quicker than they did.

In the course of investigating Gabby's disappearance, subpoenas would be issued to obtain bank records, phone records, and other data sources.

The most likely scenario is that's what occurred here, and that's how the fraudulent transactions were discovered.

I'm sure there's video.
bbm
Agreed.
I'm wanting to know when BL was seen alone on video camera using her card ?
It will also help narrow down the last day she was alive. :(
Imo.

bbm
Agreed.
I'm wanting to know when BL was seen alone on video camera using her card ?
It will also help narrow down the last day she was alive. :(
Imo.
Absolutely. That first sighting in the direction of home is going to be key. I imagine his phone records shed a lot of light on when that drive began.

Do you ever just get the feeling something is very very off with someone close to you so you call to make sure they are OK…then you keep calling till you speak to them?
It’s just a feeling, but can’t shake that as the drama was intensifying in GP’s last hour or few, Grandpa Stan kept ringing to no avail. After the deed was done mom receives the ‘call Stan’ text from BL via GP phone. This isn’t so much an opinion as the dark imaginings of my sentimental mind and a genuine hope that S is not living with this added anguish.

True. But they would have known the cards were used in Illinois IF they had account access to look at charges. And IF they had account access, being smart people they would have looked at card activity once they got worried about not hearing from GP. Not because they'd think the cards were being used inappropriately or illegally, or because they thought BL harmed GP, but to see where the couple was. And IF they saw Illinois early in Sept when the couple was supposedly in Wyoming, they would not have waited until almost mid-month to call LE.

There's just no way to claim they had access and knew the cards were used in Illinois but weren't worried enough to call LE until later on. And it doesn't make sense to claim they were very worried but didn't look at card activity even though they were able to. The only thing that makes sense is they didn't have the ability to look at card usage.

BBM. The parents tried repeatedly to contact GP and BM and I think it was to ask them about the charges. Then they tried to contact BL parents to no avail. If they didn't know whether the charges were valid or not, why would LE waste resources investigating at that point? My local police won't do it. I've tried. jmo

What To Do If You See Fraudulent Charges
The first thing to do is call your bank or issuer.

How To Get Fraudulent Charges Removed From Your Credit Card

Do you ever just get the feeling something is very very off with someone close to you so you call to make sure they are OK…then you keep calling till you speak to them?
It’s just a feeling, but can’t shake that as the drama was intensifying in GP’s last hour or few, Grandpa Stan kept ringing to no avail. After the deed was done mom receives the ‘call Stan’ text from BL via GP phone. This isn’t so much an opinion as the dark imaginings of my sentimental mind and a genuine hope that S is not living with this added anguish.
A mother's intuition. It is very real and powerful. Stan had one as well. Jmo

Hmm. Or like if you steal someone's credit cards *and* their vehicle *and* their phone. It could add up. Could be a felony. Especially if the person whose stuff you're stealing fights back and tries to get the keys or her stuff from you and you lose it.

And I can hope.

But she wasn't killed during the commission of that felony. She was killed prior to it. I didn't intend to make this complicated. Sorry about that. Maybe this will clarify it better. Murder is a felony that requires intent. BL can try to argue there was "no intent to kill" and seek a lesser charge (manslaughter, depraved heart, whatever). But, there are certain felonies (violent, mostly) where if you are committing them and someone unintentionally ends up dead, it doesn't matter if you intended to kill them or not. You can get charged with murder. Not manslaughter - voluntary or involuntary, or depraved heart, etc. The crime you were in the process of committing is enough to capture it as murder. That's "Felony-Murder" (an unintentional killing occurring during the commission of a separate, violent, felony). Not sure if that makes sense. BL won't be on hook for felony murder because GP was not killed in the commission of those felonies and those felonies are likely not of the class for which felony murder would apply anyway. If he is charged he will be charged with some degree of murder - which is a felony, and where it goes from there is anyone's guess at this point. MOO JMO IMO

Last edited:
Earlier on the thread, storage at the condo (formerly owned by the parents of BL) was being discussed. The only thing for storage would be similar to a double locker located on the lanai... not very much room at all. Hope this is okay to post. :eek:

<ModSnip unlinked photo>
Isn't it odd that one would have to go to the expense of flying home just to empty that? Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BanPokies1