Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #73

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question? The bag the dad found looked pretty clean considering it was in or by a swampy area for weeks? I’d expect green crap on it. Would a hiker put food in it also?

Very observant, Passionflower about the condition of the dry-sac.

If it had been submerged and/or surrounded by swampy water for the past few weeks, wouldn't there be (as you said) "green crap" i.e. algae on it?

Think about all the images of homes ravaged by hurricane storm surges we've seen over the years. One of the things they have in common is the waterline marks on the walls.
When water sits for a period of time, anything floating on the water leaves a stain on the perpendicular surfaces.

If that dry-sac had been in that wetlands area during the time the park was closed due to flooding, would it not have algae on it? Would it not also possibly have a waterline mark on it?

Considering that LE and the public is expected to believe that the dry-sac found today had been in the preserve these past weeks during the rainy season, I must say it looked surprisingly clean under the circumstances, IMO.

There appeared to be a hole in one of the lower corners of the bag. I can't imagine how that happened unless an animal nibbled at it to get inside. Although it appears as if it were torn. I wonder what would cause a tear to a bad meant to be kept intact so the contents remained dry? Otherwise, a dry bag should NOT have a hole in it. It defeats the purpose of the bag.

Pic of hole attached.
View attachment 318280

Source: FBI will provide update after possible human remains found in manhunt for Brian Laundrie

That is definitely quite a big rip in the bottom of the bag. What do you think is poking out? Looks like something hard, black and angular. Phone, laptop, charging station, butt of a gun???

Upthread somewhere someone else posted a link about cadaver dogs being able to smell a body under roughly 30 feet of water. Can also be smelled under ice apparently.
Can't remember who posted it, sorry.
There was a runner missing in the area I live in that died from heat exhaustion in a large regional park. An extensive search was on for almost a month with both LE and organized volunteers like myself. Drones, cadaver dogs, aircraft--all stops pulled out, even searching neighborhoods & absolutely searching all the hills, valleys, steep terrain off the park's trails. His remains were found by a volunteer under a tree in an area that had been searched and not more than 1/4 mile from his intended run path. He was found because the winds happened to blow that day in a direction that a searcher was downwind from the body. My point is searching a wildlife area can be extremely difficult and cadaver dogs are certainly not infallible.

These deaths are incredibly tragic and senseless. Yes, deaths. Both of them (assuming the remains are confirmed to be Brian's). Nothing I've read or seen has indicated this outcome could have been suspected.

The beginning of each of these threads starts out: "Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks...". That's the beginning of what should have been a fairytale. But something went horribly wrong, and now the world is left with a murdered young woman and likely a young man who took his own life. Not to mention the countless number of people affected by both events.

My heart hurts tonight. I'll appreciate my loved ones a little more and try harder to remember that tomorrow is never promised. I'm very grateful for all of your thoughts and opinions here!

Let it be.

Yes world wide. Here in Australia too have been affected by this horrific turn of events.
Sending love to Gabby's family.

No, I'm talking about HRD dogs. I remember a conversation about DTBH or SOMEONE possibly getting new articles with scent on them precisely because of either rain or possibly new running water. That phrase stuck in my mind specifically. Just what I remember.
Sorry but that doesn't make sense. HRD dogs detect the scent of decomposing human remains. They don't use a persons individual scent article. JMO.
HRD dogs are trained to specifically find the odor of decomposing human remains. HRD dogs are trained to ignore live human scent and animal scent, and only indicate on human remains. These dogs can be used to find human remains related to crime scenes, old missing persons cases, small scent sources, and natural or man-made disaster events.

Human Remains Detection (HRD)

Finding your sons belongings would be a heartbreaker. Still no emotion that I would expect. Is this normal or am I just to emotional?
Not everyone shows emotion immediately after finding out a loved one dies. Without going into too many details... my mother appeared at my grandmother's assisted living place when she hadn't gotten her normal early morning email from her which tells her all is well. It was by accident she found out her mother passed. Staff figured she knew. She immediately went into I don't know what you'd call it mode... (professional? That's not the best term but it's late and I'm going to go with that). She didn't cry, she did what needed to be done. Afterward she worried that since no one saw her show any emotion over her mother dying, that they'd think she was callous or something. She just gets very down to business when the need arises. She doesn't break down immediately as some do. Afterwards, yes, but not immediately, nor does it show in front of others. Just remember we're all different and process various things differently. JMO...

My mom continually asked me today how B's remains could be found if he were completely underwater (her words based off her takeaway from news reports). Hanging, I said. Same with the preservation of his notebook. Without going into graphic detail that's the best explanation I could give her.

Very observant, Passionflower about the condition of the dry-sac.

If it had been submerged and/or surrounded by swampy water for the past few weeks, wouldn't there be (as you said) "green crap" i.e. algae on it?

Think about all the images of homes ravaged by hurricane storm surges we've seen over the years. One of the things they have in common is the waterline marks on the walls.
When water sits for a period of time, anything floating on the water leaves a stain on the perpendicular surfaces.

If that dry-sac had been in that wetlands area during the time the park was closed due to flooding, would it not have algae on it? Would it not also possibly have a waterline mark on it?

Considering that the public is expected to believe that the dry-sac found today had been in the preserve these past weeks during the rainy season, I must say it looked reasonably clean under the circumstances, IMO.

Another thing that totally shocks me is that the FBI wasn't RIGHT WITH BL's dad and mom while they searched!!! According to their lawyer, CL only picked up the bag as the FBI weren't right there and the media was on their tails! Well, he should've waited and got his wife to alert the FBI. But more importantly, the FBI should've been closer at hand, not on other side of path.

Another thing that totally shocks me is that the FBI wasn't RIGHT WITH BL's dad and mom while they searched!!! According to their lawyer, CL only picked up the bag as the FBI weren't right there and the media was on their tails! Well, he should've waited and got his wife to alert the FBI. But more importantly, the FBI should've been closer at hand, not on other side of path.
The agents were on the other side of that trail. That's where they found the backpack and partial remains.

At first glance I thought that bag had a hole, but now I think the black bits at the bottom are part of another latch system similar to what's at the top -- for keeping the bag rolled up or compressed or however one would describe the mechanics of how a dry bag works.

MOO

Actually the two black straps which clip together are already both visible at the top of the bag in the pictures. It's how they are designed. The top rolls down and the two sides are clipped together like a handle. The hole at the bottom right corner is more of a rip in the lining, you can see the frayed edges are jagged and uneven. JMO.

Imagine if D and P, not real ppl, had a daughter or son go missing. They initially waited 4 days to report the disappearance, and added the next day that a car was involved. Then a few weeks later they just happened to remember that their child really went missing the day BEFORE they first said.

This is WS. I don't have to imagine the uproar.

Yet real ppl did what I just described.

Their child could still be alive had they not played the above games, imo. Which is why I do believe the plan went awry, they never expected him to take his own life, and IMO he didn't. Imo he was supposed to report in, for example on their outing yesterday, but he did not. So, they get very concerned and take a beeline to where they last saw him.

There is no other way to explain the nonchalant attitudes until today.

Jmo

Gabby used to 'journal'. I suspect BL did too but that his journal was inadvertently called a notebook which has caused some confusion.

The author Charles Michael "Chuck" Palahniuk suggests that people keep a journal. Hence, the main reason Brian may have kept one, too. Which serves to further prove BL didn't have many original thoughts in his head.

Nuts and Bolts: “Thought” Verbs

Yes, there are alot of factors in play to detect a corpse scent underwater.

Research shows value of cadaver dogs locating underwater corpses

"When a body is on land it is hoped it will stay in one place, but in water a body can move in three dimensions, so it is a lot more difficult to locate and recover"

.. research has found that the dogs can only be really effective if they can get down to the level water to clarify the scent or they may not be able to give a clear indication.
Therefore, access to the water both from the bank and particularly from a boat is crucial to the success of a search. "If the sides of the boat are too high, the dog will simply not be able to smell the water".
Thanks. I think that there's a lot of variable's that affect these HRD dogs abilities to give a trained final response. . JMO.

It seems to be the new alternative term some people use for someone committing suicide as, and I find it repulsive.
I literally gag at the mention of it.

Actually, "committing suicide" apparently is a term that should be updated/changed. They are saying 'died by suicide' is a better way or putting it. JMO....

“The term ‘committed suicide’ is damaging because for many, if not most, people it evokes associations with ‘committed a crime’ or ‘committed a sin’ and makes us think about something morally reprehensible or illegal,” said Jacek Debiec, an assistant professor in the University of Michigan’s department of psychiatry who specializes in post-traumatic stress and anxiety disorders.

One such source: Why You Should Stop Saying 'Committed Suicide'

Imagine if D and P, not real ppl, had a daughter or son go missing. They initially waited 4 days to report the disappearance, and added the next day that a car was involved. Then a few weeks later they just happened to remember that their child really went missing the day BEFORE they first said.

This is WS. I don't have to imagine the uproar.

Yet real ppl did what I just described.

Their child could still be alive had they not played the above games, imo. Which is why I do believe the plan went awry, they never expected him to take his own life, and IMO he didn't. Imo he was supposed to report in, for example on their outing yesterday, but he did not. So, they get very concerned and take a beeline to where they last saw him.

There is no other way to explain the nonchalant attitudes until today.

Jmo
Nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members