Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find people's cell numbers all the time online. Often very minimal sleuthing involved if you have their name, or are connected via social media, or have other basic info.

(Second includes a lot of info about the usual reverse lookups when you gave the number and no name, but also some about this situation, the reverse)

Use These Strategies to Find Someone's Phone Number Online

5 Best Ways to Find or Lookup a Cell Phone Number Online

Thanks. I never knew all that and I bet no one I know well does either. I'm not a big SM user though except for WS.

I don't know if GP's family was into sleuthing cell numbers when they were frantic. If I were in that position I'd probably use what I had. Texting wrong numbers happens all the time, of course. One of my relatives even had an issue with someone who claimed "but we sent you a text!" Yeah, to her landline.
JMO

Hah you're brave. Those suckers walk the sidewalks in places. I'm not sure what's worse...alligators and snakes or grizzly bears and wolves. lol
I’ve lived in SWFL where alligators are more prevalent and have seen a total of three in 20 years. The stories are wives tales. BL was not in a competition with gators ever IMO

The Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate yourself is not restricted only to cases where you are under indictment or actively being prosecuted for a crime. In 1976, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on a case called McCarthy v. Arndstein. Among other holdings, the court ruled: “The constitutional privilege against self-incrimination applies to civil proceedings.” You must assert the right yourself and indicate you refuse to answer on the grounds your reply may incriminate you.

MO
This is precisely why I think a civil suit would be very, very interesting. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. MOO We'd see if they can't sit for a depo on the grounds that they may incriminate themselves. MOO Not fact. (Btw, it will be their 1st defense for a motion to dismiss - that they did what they did by way of exercising their constitutional right. But, the Petito Schmidt atty already knows if this can be a go (i.e. that this defense will not stand). JMO IMO MOO

Last edited:
Other than dumb luck and an educated guess, the only scenario that could make sense is they found him out there alive one of the times they went to look in mid September and tried to convince him unsuccessfully to come home. Maybe they even left the dry bag w supplies when they couldn't find him upon a second return. That seems unlikely but could explain the very specific area ChL honed in on. The urgency from the Laundries with searching that area in recent weeks was an interesting change to note but perhaps that is not the case outside of what the public could see behind the scenes.. or likely was a strategic move by SB to make sure they couldn't be charged with obstruction or aiding, etc. We'll get more answers in the coming weeks and months but I'm sure there will always be lingering questions.
That makes sense. I think they did find him that first day, and left thinking he was going on to a safer place. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I do think they were supposed to receive some word from him, 2 days ago, the shopping day. And freaked out when they didn't, thus the search at 7 am the very next day, knowing something had gone wrong with the plan. That explains the very peaceful, unworried attitude they exhibited during the month, IMO. I don't believe for a moment that they had earnestly told LE to search that area, I just don't believe it at all. In the same basket with the lawyer's multitude of conflicting statements.

I wonder where they figured he had gone as the water got higher. There had to be a place they "knew" he was, until they realized he wasn't. IMO

Last edited:
Well, the way I see it, ie., the parents found BL's articles which led LE to start looking around in the immediate area and then found his body.
LE and CL made their discoveries pretty much simultaneously on opposite sides of the trail. When CL met up with LE to turn over his find is when LE told the Ls that they may have found something and that the Ls needed to leave.
Brian Laundrie search: FBI confirms unidentified human remains, fugitive's backpack and notebook found

Brian Entin just said (on Banfield) that authorities are hoping to be able to dry out the notebook. Banfield says authorities don't want to open it until it is completely dry. No link because it's happening on television and it is shown as LIVE in the upper righthand corner.

BL has not been formally named by the FBI as the person who killed GP. Until this happens, it is my understanding that the case remains open. @Alethea Legally what are the next steps?

The FBI will continue the investigation in terms of completing their review of the scientific, electronic, and other evidence. They will then present their case to the prosecutor. If the answer is that they believe they could have proved that BL caused the death of Gabby beyond a reasonable doubt, they will close the case as solved. Unfortunately they can't bring charges against a dead defendant.

I think it is likely that at that point, they will at least have a press conference to go over their conclusions. They may not give details or release specific evidence but I definitely think they will announce that BL was the only suspect and they were prepared to charge him.

If for some reason, there is another suspect or evidence is inconclusive, they will continue to investigate until they reach the conclusion to present to the prosecutor. If they do not feel they have enough evidence either way, they will keep it open and keep working on it. They have to be sure they have the right person.

Since Gabby's parents can't sue the Laundrie family for criminal charges against him, I still feel that they could bring a Civil Suit against them for Wrongful Death against his "estate" with his parents as executors maybe, <modsnip>? Thinking of how the Goldman's sued OJ's estate. The burden of proof is much lower in a Civil Suit.
I emphatically disagree.

If he died by suicide, then I seriously don't believe he did it because he felt remorse over Gabby's death. Much more likely that he had come to believe that he would get caught and did not want to have to deal with spending the rest of his life in jail.
Completely agree. Prison to him would’ve been a death penalty. He loved the outdoors and being in nature. Being locked up would be taking everything he loved away from him.
It was a selfish act because that’s exactly what he deserved. He deserved that kind of “death penalty” for stealing GP’s life. It’s not fair that he took the easy way out. No justice for GP in that.

The FBI will continue the investigation in terms of completing their review of the scientific, electronic, and other evidence. They will then present their case to the prosecutor. If the answer is that they believe they could have proved that BL caused the death of Gabby beyond a reasonable doubt, they will close the case as solved. Unfortunately they can't bring charges against a dead defendant.

I think it is likely that at that point, they will at least have a press conference to go over their conclusions. They may not give details or release specific evidence but I definitely think they will announce that BL was the only suspect and they were prepared to charge him.

If for some reason, there is another suspect or evidence is inconclusive, they will continue to investigate until they reach the conclusion to present to the prosecutor. If they do not feel they have enough evidence either way, they will keep it open and keep working on it. They have to be sure they have the right person.

Thank you for offering some much needed clarity.

Joe Petito did in fact state that they called Cassie. He did it on his first Dr. Phil appearance alone and he did it in print.

'Petito said his family began worrying after several days without hearing from their daughter.
“We called Brian, we called the mom, we called the dad, we called the sister, we called every number that we could find,” Petito said. “No phone calls were picked up, no text messages were returned.” Petito said he wants Laundrie to be held accountable for whatever part he played in his daughter’s disappearance, along with his family for protecting him. I hope they get what’s coming, and that includes his folks,” Petito said. “Because I’ll tell you, right now, they are just as complicit, in my book.”

FBI searches Florida home of Petito's boyfriend; autopsy scheduled for Tuesday

Cassie did say in her interview that she did not get any calls from him but this does not change JP's statements that he did call her. MOO
What did JP later apologize to Cassie for?

Just curious to know what do you guys think kept fbi going back to the reserve
I think that the FBI had access to either pings from a phone that could be connected to him, or that he actually sent his parents messages that they shared with the FBI that made everyone think he was planning to kill himself or did actually kill himself.

They did say that but it was in a sentence where they named everyone-- Brian, his mother, his father, his sister...and I honestly wondered if all those calls were made or if her family just thought about trying to reach all those people. When people are panicked it's not always clear what happened.

Realistically how likely is it they had the phone number (cell, landline) for their 22-year old daughter's boyfriend's 9 years older & married with children sister? I know some posts say it's possible to buy databases to get cell numbers. I didn't know that and if they didn't, I doubt they did that when in a panic.

Cassie said she didn't get a call. She could have had her ringer off, or didn't hear the ring, or didn't know the number...

But even if someone tried to call her on Sept 10 as the family may have done, what could she have told them that would help?

JMO
Even if Cassie's ringer is off, the calls and texts would still appear as "missed calls". And if they were unopened and deleted the phone records would show that as well.
Um, I'm not a professional investigator, but you better believe I WOULD find a phone number if needed to find my missing kid. Cassie wasn't exactly a stranger to the Petitos and I'm sure her number was publicly listed. Or her kids were listed in a school/sports directory online with the parent's contact info. Or a facebook moms group, etc.
And those are just the legal things I would do to get that information...
All Cassie had to do was tell the truth. Even if Cassie knew nothing just the truth would help establish timelines, etc.
Cassie could have also tried to ask her parents for information.

If he died by suicide, then I seriously don't believe he did it because he felt remorse over Gabby's death. Much more likely that he had come to believe that he would get caught and did not want to have to deal with spending the rest of his life in jail.

agreed, he spent the days and then weeks after 8/27 alibi-building and lying. When that all failed miserably he killed himself, rather than have to face his family, gabby’s family, and life imprisonment

jmo

Last edited:
If they thought BL was a danger to himself and walked off why not reach out to local law enforcement immediately and aggressively follow-up. They must have been conflicted in wanting to make sure he was safe but also giving him space or a chance to run? Hindsight maybe. I hope everyone affected by BL's actions find peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela