Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because they haven’t said a single thing so far about their future DIL who was murdered by their own son. They’ve pretty much acted like nothing serious was happening for a long time.

The Petito family didn’t get to grieve in peace. I don’t understand why anyone expects or thinks the Laundries will or should be left alone simply because BL was found. Too many unanswered questions IMO that the public wants answers too.
Actually the Laundries did release a statement saying that the news of her death was "heartbreaking. The Laundrie family prays for Gabby and her family.”

Why didn't the Petito family get to grieve in peace? I don't recall protesters or the media camped out at their house.

What is the risk? Just because it is not privileged doesn't mean he has to disclose. Furthermore, SB also said he had conversations with each of them privately, so those would be privileged.

In any case, SB said (in the Banfield interview) he and the Laundries spent 2.5 hours providing information regarding Brian to the FBI. In my view anything the Laundries knew the FBI knows. I do not believe Brian told his parents or his lawyer anything about the murder.
They could still take the 5th if they were to be subpoenaed to testify before a federal grand jury, for questions about what Brian told them and what their conversations were with SB Prior to Sept 11, but they can't hide behind attorney-client privilege for that period of time, is the way I understand it. SB seems to think that they can, because he has been their attorney for so long, but he has stated that he was retained for this case on the 11th of Sept. So, conversations before that, are conversations as friends. If he spoke with Brian before the 11th, same thing. And any convos where all three L's were engaged with him, are not covered by atty/client privilege. This is how I understand it. It is my OPINION. JMO

I know it’s already been discussed, but CNN picked it up this morning.

Investigators confused Brian Laundrie's mother for him while watching their home, police reportedly acknowledge
Brian Laundrie: Investigators confused his mother for him during surveillance, police reportedly acknowledge - CNN

After hearing that NPPD had a security camera across the street pointing at the L residence, I think that's how they probably were surveilling the residence. It's not at all surprising that they mistook RL for BL if the video was at night (using infrared light) looking at something across the street. I think the images of people at that distance at night are going to be essentially unidentifiable.

On the video, you could probably see the vehicle drive into the driveway, activating the motion activating outside lights. You could see a person exit the vehicle, be able to determine their general body build, get some idea of what they are wearing if there are contrasting darker and lighter colors worn. The images might be unclear (blurry, ghosty) at that distance even with the outside lights on.

I wonder if BE knows what brand of security cameras the NPPD had installed there. A quick Google search looks like the one in BE's video could match Dahua N45DM62 4MP Outdoor ePoE Network Dome Camera Night Vision which says it has IR LED night vision up to 85'.

That could have been in the back of her mind, but I really doubt that she would risk his wrathful reaction to that suggestion while they were alone in the wilds and she was totally dependent on him to drive them safely to their destinations. She knew how volatile he was. If she wanted to break it off while she was in SLC, she could have had her dad(s) fly out to rescue her and drive her home. She didn't do that. She must have wanted to continue the van trip. jmo
Bbm
I respect your opinion and agree in many ways. I'd like to look at the language we all use when discussing crimes.
I am pre-emptively reporting this post to the mods, in case this sounds like I'm sniping at you because that is not my intention and they should remove it if it is.
I focused on the bolded words above. I can understand that point of view. It also reminds me of how some people defend rapists.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the risk? Just because it is not privileged doesn't mean he has to disclose. Furthermore, SB also said he had conversations with each of them privately, so those would be privileged.

In any case, SB said (in the Banfield interview) he and the Laundries spent 2.5 hours providing information regarding Brian to the FBI. In my view anything the Laundries knew the FBI knows. I do not believe Brian told his parents or his lawyer anything about the murder.

It is my impression (and I could be wrong) from his previous statements and interviews that SB has said they were not and are not currently willing to talk about the case with Gabby, and that they were only concerned with searching for and finding BL *That's* what they were supposedly cooperating about.

However, I do hope they are cooperating with Gabby's murder investigation now that Brian has been confirmed dead and can't be put on trial anymore.

Not just the media. General public is often worse.
The media are reporting a story of interest. It's what they do and we are all very interested in the Laundries, particularly so as they are the last known people he 'encountered' or whatever description is appropriate.
The GP interest is fuelling media and vice versa.
People will not let this story die without answers.
I don't know why that is with this case when so many others just get a line of print at the most..
But it is , whether I understand it or not.

The best possible outcome is that it will bring needed support for the Foundation and something positive can be carved.

Anyone know if LE ever analyzed Gabby's phone to determine where the last messages came from? It's easy for phone companies to tell what tower a cell phone was connected to. If Gabby sent a message saying 'No service in Yosemite' and the tower was half-way between Utah and Florida, it seems pretty safe to assume it was Brian who sent it. I haven't seen much mention of her cell phone before, so was just curious.

Since FBI was the lead organization, I'd bet a lot of dollars and donuts that yes, this is one of the first things they did. Especially as Gabby was pretty much using her phone on at least 6 different platforms, 3 of them on the daily. I also think that Brian took Gabby's phone with him, so that he could find his way. home - and that he didn't care much about leaving a trail at that point.

I also do not think the Laundries are below average in intelligence and I think they know how cell towers, pings and cell phones work.

However, I think Brian was not all that great at geography or names of National Parks.

After hearing that NPPD had a security camera across the street pointing at the L residence, I think that's how they probably were surveilling the residence. It's not at all surprising that they mistook RL for BL if the video was at night (using infrared light) looking at something across the street. I think the images of people at that distance at night are going to be essentially unidentifiable.

On the video, you could probably see the vehicle drive into the driveway, activating the motion activating outside lights. You could see a person exit the vehicle, be able to determine their general body build, get some idea of what they are wearing if there are contrasting darker and lighter colors worn. The images might be unclear (blurry, ghosty) at that distance even with the outside lights on.

I wonder if BE knows what brand of security cameras the NPPD had installed there. A quick Google search looks like the one in BE's video could match Dahua N45DM62 4MP Outdoor ePoE Network Dome Camera Night Vision which says it has IR LED night vision up to 85'.
To retrieve the Mustang from the park, the gate had to be open. It opens at 6am. So, being on camera in her driveway was probably 6:30am at the earliest, more likely 7am ish. Don't know what time sunrise was on the 15th. JMO

To retrieve the Mustang from the park, the gate had to be open. It opens at 6am. So, being on camera in her driveway was probably 6:30am at the earliest, more likely 7am ish. Don't know what time sunrise was on the 15th. JMO
Per the NPPD report, the Mustang was parked outside of the park, if you look at the address.

It could have been returned earlier, though. I guess I assumed it was at night because of the mix-up. If she was seen on the camera during daylight hours, it'd be clearly her, right?

The parking notification slip had a street address on it. Do we know for certain whether the Mustang was parked inside the gate or on the street outside it?

(attaching Google Maps street view for reference)

Attachments

• bl-park.jpg
    bl-park.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 23
or the 28th of August .....
JMO
Agree. Absolutely lawyered up around this date. I'd be interested in seeing the phone logs between either of the 2 missing phones to SB's or L's.
<modsnip> Thank goodness for the Vanlife couple who pinpointed the van's location and that Gabby's body was found sooner rather than later.
MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had the awful thought that the L’s are going to sue NPPD for Brian’s wrongful death. Could them saying thing they knew exactly where he was give the L’s any cause?
Wrongful Death if it was suicide or an accident -- I can't see that holding water, but IANAL. Even if he drowned or fell and had a fatal head or chest injury, etc. JMO.

It wouldn't be pitch black dark at anytime because the L's live in a neighborhood with neighbors who could have outside lights on and there are usually street lights on from sun down to sun up. Someone also mentioned that there's motion activated spot lights on the L's garage, which a lot of people put up to prevent vehicle thefts, break ins, etc. IMO there's no way if LE was conducting surveillance on BL and the L house that RL could be mistaken for BL just because she had a ball cap on. IMO that's an excuse. IMO.

Last edited:
I assumed he meant the word's usage in legal sphere not popular culture/ Italy mafiosa, that's why I was hoping a legal type would chip in & help us out. So I didn't have to google it, was being lazy

It's Italian for counselor or advisor and is not used in Italy in the sense that was popularized by the movie, The Godfather. There is no legal usage of the term in English speaking countries, only in Italy. In English speaking places (mostly US), it is a reference to a role in a mafia (often an actual lawyer...who is the crime family's lawyer).

Sometimes a consigliere is an accountant and sometimes legitimate businesses that are run by Italian-American families use the word to mean "accountant who runs the business just as much as the CEO does." They are often the auditor of the business.

I can't find any citations that aren't behind paywalls, but you can maybe find "A Delicate Relationship" at your local library's digital resources. It makes the point that unlike members of the "Executive Family" who runs the business (whether legal or illegal), the consigliere is not a family member, but a highly trained outsider who is trusted as if family.

I didn't see why it came up here, but that's what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed