Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #81

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When my sister died in 2013 I had none of her passwords. I wanted to delete her FB account, I was required to provide her death certificate, thinking this would help me have her account deleted. Instead her account wasn't deleted but became in memoriam which really upset me. It's 8 years later and still available to review and even post comments to. Don't know how other SM accounts work and if they follow the same thing FB did to my family. It could remain there forever despite of family's best efforts, unless you know the password.
That's just awful. <modsnip> Condolences on the loss of your sister.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is odd

It truly is. I could see them trying a dine and dash for whatever reason, then claiming it was a misunderstanding once caught to avoid trouble. But for GP to almost double down on it by going back in to request a refund.... Is just so weird. I'm guessing the missing information reflects poorly on the restaurant, like they had a complaint about the food or service, but I generally buy the restaurant's explanation over the social media account, because that account seems so exaggerated. And the public interpretation of that original account was worse still (BL was in a rage, it lead directly to the murder, etc).

In any case, I really don't think this incident has much to do with the murder other than to further establish the timeline. MOO

BL told the cops they didn't have money for a hotel and he said, paraphrasing, "no we don't have much money". He told the cops that. That is why he got a free hotel room.

If they didn't even sleep in the van when it was raining (per Gabby's video of her holding the tent walls up during a storm) then there isn't much reason to think they ever slept in the van, especially since it didn't have what looked like a full size bed. Maybe the cushion folded out but we don't know that and I never saw it that way.

My understanding of "van life" is that it's a lifestyle and goes on longer than 3-4 months. They were planning on ending their trip, according to reports here on WS, and after that we have no idea, but they were not making a life out of van living, at least not this trip. It was for Instagram and Tik Tok. It was a story they wanted to monetize. They weren't making money off that yet either because Gabby had just barely started her website. I think this trip was their trial run but it had an end date so it wasn't really even van life, it was van trip.

Lot of people speculated they argued at one time or another about money and I think they did too. It might have been the source of their biggest arguments, like it is with a lot of couples. Then BL probably killed her, stole her money and her van and the trip ended so it never was successful "van life". It was a big disaster.

MOO

I agree completed. I just can't reconcile BL needing to kill Gabby for any rational reason. Wish we could learn why he had to do that, it will never make sense to any of us, but at least we would know his reason. JMO

FTR, the video of her in the tent when it was raining was in the afternoon. I have a tent outside that my son hangs out in the daytime. That doesn't mean he doesn't sleep inside the house. But like I said, it doesn't matter if they sleep in a tent or not, they are doing their version of vanlife.

I don't know why you have such a strong definition of what vanlife is and is not. I have seen the vanlife tag go with people who are barely one step above homeless and never go anywhere except to the next parking space, to people who take weekend and extended trips, but still have a home they live in most of the time, to people who travel extensively for a 1/2 the year and then come back to live/park in a friend/family members driveway for the other half while they work a job to rebuild their bank account, up to people who live in $100,000 vans and live year round traveling.

The intent for them was to buy a van and convert it to match the lifestyle. Which they did. They left sometime in early June and I believe went thru the Appalachians and camped and then traveled to NY for a family event on June 17th and then left NY on July 2nd. I don't know where they stayed while in NY. It keeps being said they planned to end their trip in Portland or someplace up there, but thats not an end. They don't live there. They would need to return home or travel on, and there have been plenty indications they planned to continue. SB gave that as the reason why BL returned home to empty the storage building. Other reports have said they then planned to move down the coast into California. I personally think they hoped for a longterm vanlife and this first leg was a sort of shakedown cruise to work out the kinks before making grander plans.

And I am not convinced that BL saying they don't have money for a motel meant they were broke. I think, for reasons I can't state due to WS policy, is that BL is very literal in his understanding of verbal communications. They may have plenty of money socked away and have it budgeted to last for months, and GP may often remind him that they don't have money for this or that because the budget doesn't allow for it. (we have no idea who paid for the plane flight and the motel room GP stayed in for 5 days. It could have been them or it could have been BL's parents) . So when LE asked about money for a room, he paused and though a moment, maybe going over the budget, and said no. It isn't conclusive either way, so neither one of us know how much money they had.

They were eating in restaurants, which started this chain of posts between us :), so they probably had money for it. They were traveling across country in a van and living outside of a residence full time. Thats good enough to get the vanlife tag if they want it. Their is no government or corporate agency handing out permissions to use it.

I agree with this. One reason I suspect BL may have claimed they had no hotel money was that he was hoping to avoid them being separated for the night. Not that the police really would say "oh ok you can't get a hotel, well just go on your way then," but he was maybe just trying what he could to avoid the separation. JMO

GP facetimed with her mom on Aug. 25th that they were in GTNP, plus there was a likely sighting of them at Jenny Lake at 5pm that same day. I believe they were camping at Spread Creek from the 25th on. IMO, it is not important that they had their van in a spot not designated for parking, nor that the area GP was found was not designated for camping. The campground was full, according the the Bethunes (on the 27th), so I think GP and BL just picked a spot that worked. The creek was drier in August, and walking that distance to set up camp is not unusual, imo, especially if they were camping where they weren't supposed to. I can't believe that they would sleep in the back of the van for multiple nights in a row when it would be so easy to set up a tent, fire, etc. Plus, setting up the tent is what they normally did, as far as we see, so why would those nights be any different? JMO.

Plus as somebody posted many, many threads ago: the view from that side is better for Instagram. View of the mountains through the trees. Think Gabby would have seen its SM potential & I can't see Brian wanting to be sleeping near a road (from all his comments on SM about achieving distance from people)

Such a light tent too ( 5lbs?) & takes 5 mins to erect. ( as we've seen from the tent reviews for this model)

This is a very interesting conversation, to me anyway.
Think you're both right in different ways.

They could have had more savings than we assumed
They could probably have slept in that van - it looks tight- but I suppose you could move out the boxes and squeeze two heads in that space. (GP must have, night of 12th)
They aspired to the van life experience & lots of wider goals
There does seem to be a tension between them taking an extended, summer, cross country trip vs the permanent van living portrayed in a film like ' nomad'
I think @Shellinaya 's point on facade or aspiration vs reality is a very fruitful one.

In the early 90s, I used to know quite a few people who lived in converted vans & buses, for years. Illegal in England outside of campsites, travelling back & forth across Europe, summer back in England, tying into event calendars ( festivals, protests, co-operatives etc) More Woodstock than VanLife TM.

Anyway, brings me to the question I've kept forgetting to ask. Was that their only tent? The one we see in the clips? It looks very flimsy but I can't see the brand & model? The only tents we've ever owned in the UK, are those which are totally waterproof and can withstand real wind force. I've never understood that tent, even taking into account US summer thru autumn weather.

Haven't seen the ABC special yet - not available in Europe yet. Looks good from that clip though

Anybody know how much a tent like theirs costs?

I don't know the brand of their tent, but it looked like many of the backpacking style 2 man tents you see out on the trail. They are usually called 3 season tents, but I have used mine in the snow and wind. Of course, the more you pay the lighter and more sturdier they get. An inexpensive two-person backpacking tent is not a pleasure to be in during a major storm. They flap about like crazy and I have even seen some get flattened out with broken poles after a storm.

And yes, I 100% agree that there is a huge difference between aspiration vs reality with instagrammers, tiktokers, youtubers and other SM influences. That was one of teh things that drew me to this case. It was the most glaring example of that in recent memory. But the difference is usually in the glamour of it, not that they aren't actually doing it. Instagram shots are perfectly framed with props and extra takes to get it right. Or you just don't add the clips that show real life or that you had a bad time. But they still actually traveled to that sight and saw that view/sunset/waterfall. etc. So my point is that their attempt at vlog travel journaling was to put a glamourous spin on it, not that they weren't actually doing the "vanlife"

I admit I'm not familiar with this area at all but now that we know something different from the Merry Piglet manager and the tiktoker's version, it makes me question these two other stories from the hitchhiking BL was doing.

The first one was MB who said he offered $200.00, so he was somehow flush with money (which may have something to do with the fraud charges, JMO) but she said he was clean, didn't look like someone who had been camping/hiking for days, half full backback, etc.

But then the 2nd woman who picked him up on the same day, same timeframe (?), had a very different impression of him. So now that I'm questioning all these outside sources of information, what is true and what isn't. Have the stories been confirmed and verified by FBI? Or are we just taking more people inserted into this story and timeline on faith or with a grain of salt?
Yes, it's so hard to discern. I thought the discrepancy might be because in the 1st hitchhiking story, he was supposedly in the back seat, but in the 2nd hitchhiking story he was in the front, so maybe the closer proximity is why the 2nd described him differently. IDK.

That said, I'm on the fence about these stories all together. If they are true, then I consider that maybe BL was telling the truth and GP really was back in the van working on SM. Just because they didn't want a forced separation in Moab does not mean they did not take breaks from each other while she worked on SM and he hiked. Just because nobody heard from her in those days does not necessarily mean she was dead already. Maybe he had her phone, or maybe she simply didn't get reception and worked on editing all their GTNP footage while he walked those couple days.

Or, maybe the hitchhiking stories are bs to begin with.

To me, there is nothing at all to prove the date she died. I tend to think later than earlier simply because we know the FBI is looking for witnesses at Spread Creek all the way through the 30th, the same day his unauthorized use of her cards began, after her death.

I see no reason for him to hang around the park after killing her. His setting an alibi for himself does not fit any of his other patterns of behavior, imo, especially considering his possible suicide. jmo.

I guess my short answer is that I don't think the hitchhiking stories matter, in the end, because she might have died after that time. Total speculation on my part, and I've been saying this since Sept. 24, so I'm sorry for the repetition! :)

Yes, it's so hard to discern. I thought the discrepancy might be because in the 1st hitchhiking story, he was supposedly in the back seat, but in the 2nd hitchhiking story he was in the front, so maybe the closer proximity is why the 2nd described him differently. IDK.

That said, I'm on the fence about these stories all together. If they are true, then I consider that maybe BL was telling the truth and GP really was back in the van working on SM. Just because they didn't want a forced separation in Moab does not mean they did not take breaks from each other while she worked on SM and he hiked. Just because nobody heard from her in those days does not necessarily mean she was dead already. Maybe he had her phone, or maybe she simply didn't get reception and worked on editing all their GTNP footage while he walked those couple days.

Or, maybe the hitchhiking stories are bs to begin with.

To me, there is nothing at all to prove the date she died. I tend to think later than earlier simply because we know the FBI is looking for witnesses at Spread Creek all the way through the 30th, the same day his unauthorized use of her cards began, after her death.

I see no reason for him to hang around the park after killing her. His setting an alibi for himself does not fit any of his other patterns of behavior, imo, especially considering his possible suicide. jmo.

I guess my short answer is that I don't think the hitchhiking stories matter, in the end, because she might have died after that time. Total speculation on my part, and I've been saying this since Sept. 24, so I'm sorry for the repetition! :)
You could be right. It seems like every time he gets upset he tends to leave. Maybe he had done it one too many times and when he came back she wanted to end their relationship because of it

I don't believe that he left her alone alive for two days and maybe two nights. Jessica Schultz (airstream lady) saw him alone in the evening on the 26th, where he pulled over to let her pass. She saw the van, on the 27th with no one in it as she was coming from the other direction as a passenger with her friend...and realized that the van was in the same place as the 26th, so, he must have spent the night. But this time, she didn't see anyone in or near the van, and did not see a tent nearby. She believes she saw the van but no one around on the 28th and 29th as well. No times given for sightings except she said evening on the 26th, when she actually saw just him. This was reported in the San Francisco Chronicle, by a reporter friend of hers. I think Gabby was deceased late day or early evening on the 27th, but what puzzles me is where was Gabby on the evening of the 26th when Schultz saw Brian alone??? We know she was alive, because of the Merry Piglets sighting on the 27th. jmo ETA and a text to her mom on the 27th.

You could be right. It seems like every time he gets upset he tends to leave. Maybe he had done it one too many times and when he came back she wanted to end their relationship because of it
Maybe its.more.like.when THEY get like this he leaves!
And yes maybe it was getting to a.point to.end the relationship.
I always thought they broke up when he made that trip home!
Why would he go back ?
Did she ask him.to.come.back?

U notice he tries.to put distance between them!
U walk this way ill.go that!
He was afraid she would.leave him.stramded!
She feared the same!

Sad!

I don't believe that he left her alone alive for two days and maybe two nights. Jessica Schultz (airstream lady) saw him alone in the evening on the 26th, where he pulled over to let her pass. She saw the van, on the 27th with no one in it as she was coming from the other direction as a passenger with her friend...and realized that the van was in the same place as the 26th, so, he must have spent the night. But this time, she didn't see anyone in or near the van, and did not see a tent nearby. She believes she saw the van but no one around on the 28th and 29th as well. No times given for sightings except she said evening on the 26th, when she actually saw just him. This was reported in the San Francisco Chronicle, by a reporter friend of hers. I think Gabby was deceased late day or early evening on the 27th, but what puzzles me is where was Gabby on the evening of the 26th when Schultz saw Brian alone??? We know she was alive, because of the Merry Piglets sighting on the 27th. jmo ETA and a text to her mom on the 27th.
Makes me wonder if perhaps Gabby stayed in Jackson in a motel on the 26th and Brian went to scope out a camp spot up at spread creek, then on the 27th he drove back down to Jackson, where he picked up Gabby and they went to lunch before heading back up to spread creek>>> Just speculating, but it would explain her absence on the 26th evening sighting of Brian, alone. jmo

I agree completed. I just can't reconcile BL needing to kill Gabby for any rational reason. Wish we could learn why he had to do that, it will never make sense to any of us, but at least we would know his reason. JMO
Imo
It was something said!
Anger turned to rage!

It truly is. I could see them trying a dine and dash for whatever reason, then claiming it was a misunderstanding once caught to avoid trouble. But for GP to almost double down on it by going back in to request a refund.... Is just so weird. I'm guessing the missing information reflects poorly on the restaurant, like they had a complaint about the food or service, but I generally buy the restaurant's explanation over the social media account, because that account seems so exaggerated. And the public interpretation of that original account was worse still (BL was in a rage, it lead directly to the murder, etc).

In any case, I really don't think this incident has much to do with the murder other than to further establish the timeline. MOO
It makes more sense, if we say that Brian said, I'll pay, you go out, or go to the restroom etc. So then they are both outside and the waitress comes out and demands they pay. Obviously Gabby would be instantly shocked and confused, Brian maybe claimed they didn't need to pay because they weren't happy with the food, and he told the manager so, or some other bs story about how he thought they had credit. So then the waitress goes back in. We have Gabby probably already in tears, shocked and confused. Brian is furious, maybe Gabby is asking him why he didn't pay, almost spluttering the words out and not really making much sense. Brian is still sticking to the story as to whatever excuse he gave the waitress AND Gabby. Gabby is really distressed, and, it is almost some kind of mental block, she cannot believe Brian would lie, and also walk out without paying. So she goes back in, not making much sense, asking for the money to be paid back, really as a desperate attempt to prove to herself that Brian could not have been deceitful or carry out a petty criminal act by not paying. As I said before, I think Brian might have been doing this several times, and that could be why he was looking so paranoid when stopped by the police.

This is a very interesting conversation, to me anyway.
Think you're both right in different ways.

They could have had more savings than we assumed
They could probably have slept in that van - it looks tight- but I suppose you could move out the boxes and squeeze two heads in that space. (GP must have, night of 12th)
They aspired to the van life experience & lots of wider goals
There does seem to be a tension between them taking an extended, summer, cross country trip vs the permanent van living portrayed in a film like ' nomad'
I think @Shellinaya 's point on facade or aspiration vs reality is a very fruitful one.

In the early 90s, I used to know quite a few people who lived in converted vans & buses, for years. Illegal in England outside of campsites, travelling back & forth across Europe, summer back in England, tying into event calendars ( festivals, protests, co-operatives etc) More Woodstock than VanLife TM.

Anyway, brings me to the question I've kept forgetting to ask. Was that their only tent? The one we see in the clips? It looks very flimsy but I can't see the brand & model? The only tents we've ever owned in the UK, are those which are totally waterproof and can withstand real wind force. I've never understood that tent, even taking into account US summer thru autumn weather.

Haven't seen the ABC special yet - not available in Europe yet. Looks good from that clip though

Anybody know how much a tent like theirs costs?

I agree, that tent looks very flimsy, more like a tent one would use in a backyard with the kids on a pretend camp out.

The very few times in my life camping, we had a solid canvas tent, very sturdy, as safe as a tent can be safe, practical. I'd never go camping if this was the tent to be used, it certainly doesn't appear to be practical for a long extended trip.

I just have this feeling it was a very unsatisfying trip on the whole. Taking pictures or video's is one thing, but on the practical side of it all, they were ill equipped to do any extended trip. No stove, no large cooler IMO, small van, no real protection in a flimsy tent, just a lot more negatives than positives. JMO

Last edited:
I can't really reckon up an external reason either. No estate or life insurance worth millions. No new flame waiting in the background ala Scott Peterson and Chris Watts. No divorce/child custody dispute. None of the usual external "reasons" that make some kind of sense. The reason here may be entirely in the internal mind of BL. And since he is no longer present to tell us what was in his mind we may never know an exact reason. It is very troubling that what seemingly started out as a great adventure resulted in the deaths of two young people and we may never know why. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member