Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #81

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked - there's an ATM about one block away from Merry Piglets.

Somewhere, there's a picture of their tent with its rain flap on.

I thought it was well put together, yet I missed that part you just posted. It's so odd that my mind seems to wander when processing information of this particular case. I seem to miss little nuances of the topics that are important. jmo

BBM
I hear ya...
I'm usually pretty careful to verify & corroborate details before I post... then, something so basic & simple slipped right by last night when I posted Merry Piglets was in Moab (when I knew darn well it's in Jackson). :oops:
Yes, this particular case has been all over the place with lots of hearsay, imo, and very few actual verified facts, making it a challenge for many of us to keep up while getting facts straight.

You're not alone. :)
I'm choosing to call 'em brain fart moments. o_O

Or there may be some pending issues. There may have been a complaint or a charge back made by either Gabby or Brian and due to that, the manager may be telling a story that coincides with the restaurant having done their job correctly.
MP had a review in August complaining of double charging a customer and refusing to correct the mistake.
Google Maps

YES, could be! That would cause a fight. I know I wouldn't be happy with the restaurant but not blind murderous rage.

Or maybe he wanted to end the relationship. IMO

I could believe that if it weren't for the codependency I saw on the bodycam video. IMO he left for Florida on 8/17, he shouldn't have returned considering things seemed to be going down hill really fast. Possible Gabby begged him to come back to at least drive the van back to NY because when he returned it was rather quick that Gabby was dead.

Wish it had turned out differently for both of these people as it may just be they weren't really compatible and learned this during those two months in close quarters. jmo

It makes more sense, if we say that Brian said, I'll pay, you go out, or go to the restroom etc. So then they are both outside and the waitress comes out and demands they pay. Obviously Gabby would be instantly shocked and confused, Brian maybe claimed they didn't need to pay because they weren't happy with the food, and he told the manager so, or some other bs story about how he thought they had credit. So then the waitress goes back in. We have Gabby probably already in tears, shocked and confused. Brian is furious, maybe Gabby is asking him why he didn't pay, almost spluttering the words out and not really making much sense. Brian is still sticking to the story as to whatever excuse he gave the waitress AND Gabby. Gabby is really distressed, and, it is almost some kind of mental block, she cannot believe Brian would lie, and also walk out without paying. So she goes back in, not making much sense, asking for the money to be paid back, really as a desperate attempt to prove to herself that Brian could not have been deceitful or carry out a petty criminal act by not paying. As I said before, I think Brian might have been doing this several times, and that could be why he was looking so paranoid when stopped by the police.

If true, an example of a very emotional reaction to a situation they caused themselves. Why would not paying (by either one of them) cause Gabby to be so upset? Just pay and get on with your day. If this is the first time BL has ever done something like this, then I can see Gabby being surprised - but instant tears? Something else had to be going on.

If Brian is doing this all the time, how does Gabby not know? Maybe this is the first time they were caught...I find it very hard to believe that Gabby (the one with the credit cards and ATM card) doesn't know that they are habitually not paying. There are some pictures of meals in restaurants in Colorado - so they did eat out occasionally.

Anyway, I just don't see why this incident would cause mental blocks and distress unless something else was going on.

My niece went out with someone who thought he’d just park the car in an accessible space. People do shocking, crappy stuff and it can be very hard to assert yourself or get away from it without inviting further trouble (in Gabby’s case, the worst kind if danger.) But the accounts involve her either arguing a point of some sort with Brian or asking a manager for a refund so I’m not sure just how to view her personal strength in an embarrassing or awkward or volatile (or insert the correct word here because I don’t know what is is) situation. I wish we knew more because I don’t think this situation is disconnected from her murder.

I agree I think it was a trigger for events later that day or the next.

Criminal journalist says Brian Laundrie’s ‘remains would be like soup’
The likely condition of Brian Laundrie’s remains have been revealed by a criminal journalist given his body was likely submerged under water for weeks

One former Detective said that mostly likely alligators and other animals had snacked on his corpse.

Disgusting theory on Laundrie’s remains

And if you have no cash, one person runs to an ATM while the other one waits. Unless of course, you're really trying to get away with not paying.

However, in no circumstances in which I've ever traveled has it been impossible to simply get up, card in hand and approach the cashier, any server or the manager. Just don't sit down until they process your payment. If there are two of you, both of you get up and track down an employee - with your card in hand. "We've been waiting a long time to pay, we need to be somewhere else...thanks."

I do wonder if they tried the old "chips and salsa" for free thing (in which case most restaurants have a minimum table charge printed somewhere on the menu...especially in place like Jackson.)
I'm not dedicated to the "dine and dash" scenario. It may have a been a split bill, Brian and Gabby may have asked to split the bill and something occurred.

The reason I say this is based on this review at the same time Gabby and Brian had visited MP:
Overall, the food was mediocre. When we received our food, it was very dry. We mentioned that we were missing beans. Instead of telling us so that we can order something else, the brought the food out without beans. When it was time to pay, we asked to split the bill. They accidentally ran the entire Bill through the first card. They then tried to rerun it which of course declined it for suspicious activity. Instead of mentioning their error, they just told us the card was declined. On top of that the transaction was not reversed and we were charged twice. Overall a crummy experience.
Google Maps

If G and B had split the bill, had a similar experience, and then left when they realized the entire bill had been charged to a credit card. Followed out to the parking lot and asked to pay again, then realized they had been double charged and asked for a refund, it would make sense.

@cady
I have attached a map showing you where signal mt lodge is located.
I have also posted a link showing their rates for 2022 just for info.
2023 Rates
Thanks! So, she could have stayed there, too, on the 26th (and maybe 25th?) Not necessarily in Jackson...and closer to spread creek?? jmo I thought maybe Jackson just because that's where they had lunch on 27th, but she could have been at Sig Mtn. and he picked her up 27th, went to lunch in Jax then went up to spread creek?....where he proceeded to kill her. jmo

I have no idea whether her account is what actually happened so this isn't a comment what she is saying at all.

But I do think that we need to start viewing a lot of what is displayed on YouTube, TikTok and Instagram (etc) as performative -- ie, actors telling a story. Even documentaries have a point of view and narrative to be delivered. Ditto, many social media influencer accounts

RBBM

Say it louder for the people in the back.

MOO.

I'm not dedicated to the "dine and dash" scenario. It may have a been a split bill, Brian and Gabby may have asked to split the bill and something occurred.

The reason I say this is based on this review at the same time Gabby and Brian had visited MP:
Overall, the food was mediocre. When we received our food, it was very dry. We mentioned that we were missing beans. Instead of telling us so that we can order something else, the brought the food out without beans. When it was time to pay, we asked to split the bill. They accidentally ran the entire Bill through the first card. They then tried to rerun it which of course declined it for suspicious activity. Instead of mentioning their error, they just told us the card was declined. On top of that the transaction was not reversed and we were charged twice. Overall a crummy experience.
Google Maps

If G and B had split the bill, had a similar experience, and then left when they realized the entire bill had been charged to a credit card. Followed out to the parking lot and asked to pay again, then realized they had been double charged and asked for a refund, it would make sense.

So do we think G & B were splitting all expenses? That each had his/her own bank accounts and credit cards?

I agree, that tent looks very flimsy, more like a tent one would use in a backyard with the kids on a pretend camp out.

The very few times in my life camping, we had a solid canvas tent, very sturdy, as safe as a tent can be safe, practical. I'd never go camping if this was the tent to be used, it certainly doesn't appear to be practical for a long extended trip.

I just have this feeling it was a very unsatisfying trip on the whole. Taking pictures or video's is one thing, but on the practical side of it all, they were ill equipped to do any extended trip. No stove, no large cooler IMO, small van, no real protection in a flimsy tent, just a lot more negatives than positives. JMO

I totally got a sense of unpreparedness, not just emotionally and in terms of the effects on a relationship but even just in terms of being ready to camp. (When Gabby was touching the tent walls in the rain I kept thinking oh honey don’t do that!) I think they probably were as well prepared as you might be in starting that young journey and then as your business develops you afford better equipment and learn how to live better. She never got that chance and was “trying to fly the airplane as she built it…”:(

FTR, the video of her in the tent when it was raining was in the afternoon. I have a tent outside that my son hangs out in the daytime. That doesn't mean he doesn't sleep inside the house. But like I said, it doesn't matter if they sleep in a tent or not, they are doing their version of vanlife.

I don't know why you have such a strong definition of what vanlife is and is not. I have seen the vanlife tag go with people who are barely one step above homeless and never go anywhere except to the next parking space, to people who take weekend and extended trips, but still have a home they live in most of the time, to people who travel extensively for a 1/2 the year and then come back to live/park in a friend/family members driveway for the other half while they work a job to rebuild their bank account, up to people who live in $100,000 vans and live year round traveling.

The intent for them was to buy a van and convert it to match the lifestyle. Which they did. They left sometime in early June and I believe went thru the Appalachians and camped and then traveled to NY for a family event on June 17th and then left NY on July 2nd. I don't know where they stayed while in NY. It keeps being said they planned to end their trip in Portland or someplace up there, but thats not an end. They don't live there. They would need to return home or travel on, and there have been plenty indications they planned to continue. SB gave that as the reason why BL returned home to empty the storage building. Other reports have said they then planned to move down the coast into California. I personally think they hoped for a longterm vanlife and this first leg was a sort of shakedown cruise to work out the kinks before making grander plans.

And I am not convinced that BL saying they don't have money for a motel meant they were broke. I think, for reasons I can't state due to WS policy, is that BL is very literal in his understanding of verbal communications. They may have plenty of money socked away and have it budgeted to last for months, and GP may often remind him that they don't have money for this or that because the budget doesn't allow for it. (we have no idea who paid for the plane flight and the motel room GP stayed in for 5 days. It could have been them or it could have been BL's parents) . So when LE asked about money for a room, he paused and though a moment, maybe going over the budget, and said no. It isn't conclusive either way, so neither one of us know how much money they had.

They were eating in restaurants, which started this chain of posts between us :), so they probably had money for it. They were traveling across country in a van and living outside of a residence full time. Thats good enough to get the vanlife tag if they want it. Their is no government or corporate agency handing out permissions to use it.

I have thought too that the "we do not have $ for a hotel" statement was not so much an untruth as an attempt to stay within budget. If you are trying to spend, say, $1500 a month and you start getting $100 or $200 hotel rooms, maybe you create a problem, if not immediately, later. I am also not sure if either GP or BL got an infusion of $ from the parents after Moab. I have wondered if the MP meal was a "splurge" that wound up being more than they expected. IMO. Number, cost and source of meals could have created some disagreements. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDowden72