Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose MIP on the redacted report could mean Minor in Possession of Alcohol. But I find it incredible a missing person report would contain information about a charge that could have happened nearly 6 years earlier and had to have happened no more recently than about 3 years earlier. I'm just not seeing the relevance.

While the name of the charge makes absolutely no sense (18-20-year olds aren't generally minors in the US) if BL had been convicted of that, why hasn't it shown up on his criminal record? We all know reporters must have run that and MIP is not a juvenile crime that could be under seal. And if he was charged but not convicted, then it really shouldn't be popping up on routine LE paperwork. Finally, when BL was 18-19, he lived in NY, not FL. Makes it even odder to see a NY charge on an incident report from FL LE (but not specified as NY if it actually was.)

Also though, if the NPPD thought both BL and GP had moved to NY, why were they able to take a report on BL? As I've said in other posts I don't really believe they had moved but if it's the position of tbe Police Dept that they had... Were they acting because BL had been seen in FL?
JMO
NPPD's justifications are evolving. Josh Taylor long ago clarified that NPPD did not take the initial missing person report on Gabby because under FL law and department policy a missing person had to be reported missing at the location they went missing from. Nothing about the couple having moved to NY. That is a recent invention of Chief Garrison. jmo

BBM

Your post reminded me of something I was going to ask a while back but totally forgot...

I can't actually remember what checks they did in terms of substances. I remember GP saying they don't drink, but did they do any tests or checks on either of them to determine if they were under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or was a van search carried out?

Maybe with BL explaining that the reason he hit the curb was because GP grabbed the wheel, they didn't think it necessary to further investigate his bad driving?

MOO

It would be illegal to search the van unless Gabby gave them permission, they had a warrant, or something so serious was seen in the van- like someone bleeding. And even if they entered because someone is bleeding, that does not mean they could search in ways unnecessary to deal with the bleeding human. If they saw something in the van that made them want to search it, they could make Gabby and you-know-who wait while they explained what was seen/suspected to a judge to get a warrant.

I got the surfer girl sort of vibe from Gabby, not a hiking vibe.

Subjective though it might be, I think we got enough background color from people who interacted with them on their travels, to indicate that Gabby at minimum possessed the average mountain-goat-scrambling agility of a petite 20-year-old (ah, the things I used to do in my youth... took them all for granted, and didn't even think they were all that athletic. Remember being able to assume the seated crosslegged yoga position and get up to a standing position using your legs alone? I do!!).

NPPD's justifications are evolving. Josh Taylor long ago clarified that NPPD did not take the initial missing person report on Gabby because under FL law and department policy a missing person had to be reported missing at the location they went missing from. Nothing about the couple having moved to NY. That is a recent invention of Chief Garrison. jmo
When one changes their address with the USPS, you can do it online for $1.10 or go into any US post office and do it for free. If you do it online, it is verifiable quite quickly. If you do it in person, that postcard you fill out can take weeks to get entered into the system. I suspect NPPD were able to quickly ascertain that the address had been changed, possibly while they had Gabby’s Mom on the phone. If the address was changed in June, by the time Gabby was reported missing, the USPS system would have long since been updated.

https://moversguide.usps.com/mgo/di...XP3C8S9V*MTYzNTg1ODI2Mi43LjAuMTYzNTg1ODI2Mi4w

They run a business from home. Most of those boxes was of uniform size consistent with a business IMO.
I’m the OP and here are the photos I linked while wondering how LE could State none of GPs possession were at the house.

Gabby Petito: North Port Police, FBI search home of Brian Laundrie

I don’t agree at all. I can see just two like boxes, the meal prep ones. It doesn’t appear to be the organization of ready to ship supplies from a home based business. I imagine, considering the size of juicing equipment, that their components were sent directly from manufacturer or another warehouse.
Most pictured seems to be your usual assortment of storage, about to move, just moved, stuff. Coolers, propane tank, light fixture, plastic bins etc…but a lot of it,
a 2 car garage worth. Moo

Attachments

• 42FE12BB-C21D-48CA-8847-87571759F998.jpeg
    42FE12BB-C21D-48CA-8847-87571759F998.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 88
  • B76195DA-4221-4468-A651-717CBFEB779F.jpeg
    B76195DA-4221-4468-A651-717CBFEB779F.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 67217CCD-42D6-4701-88E1-BF9D8459A590.jpeg
    67217CCD-42D6-4701-88E1-BF9D8459A590.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I’m the OP and here are the photos I linked while wondering how LE could State none of GPs possession were at the house.

Gabby Petito: North Port Police, FBI search home of Brian Laundrie

I don’t agree at all. I can see just two like boxes, the meal prep ones. It doesn’t appear to be the organization of ready to ship supplies from a home based business. I imagine, considering the size of juicing equipment, that their components were sent directly from manufacturer or another warehouse.
Most pictured seems to be your usual assortment of storage, about to move, just moved, stuff. Coolers, propane tank, light fixture, plastic bins etc…but a lot of it,
a 2 car garage worth. Moo
Hmmm. Looks hurriedly stashed, too. Are both bikes BL's? jmo

When one changes their address with the USPS, you can do it online for $1.10 or go into any US post office and do it for free. If you do it online, it is verifiable quite quickly. If you do it in person, that postcard you fill out can take weeks to get entered into the system. I suspect NPPD were able to quickly ascertain that the address had been changed, possibly while they had Gabby’s Mom on the phone. If the address was changed in June, by the time Gabby was reported missing, the USPS system would have long since been updated.

https://moversguide.usps.com/mgo/disclaimer?_gl=1*1u8g8dg*_ga*MTg0OTc4NjQ3MS4xNjM1ODU4MjYy*_ga_3NXP3C8S9V*MTYzNTg1ODI2Mi43LjAuMTYzNTg1ODI2Mi4w
There is no evidence GP & BL changed their address, online or elsewhere. And Gabby told LE in UT she was from FL, not NY. And Josh Taylor did not say NPPD refused to take the report because the couple had moved to NY.

"8 On Your Side also learned that almost three weeks ago, on Sept. 10, Gabby Petito’s family called the North Port Police Department hoping to file a missing persons report.

North Port police told the family they had to file the report where Gabby’s last known location was, and not in North Port, because of department policy and Florida law."

Gabby Petito’s family called North Port police one day before she was reported missing, records show

BBM

That's interesting that she would say "we" when this is the time frame that BL was supposedly back in FL clearing out the storage locker

MOO

She could have been referring to herself and her Dad, meaning she in SL and her Dad in Florida. They spent quite a bit of time on facetime together trying to resolve some website issues, that Joe Petito said they resolved by watching a you tube video together.

I believe he stated this during his first Dr Phil interview before Gabby's remains were recovered.

Subjective though it might be, I think we got enough background color from people who interacted with them on their travels, to indicate that Gabby at minimum possessed the average mountain-goat-scrambling agility of a petite 20-year-old (ah, the things I used to do in my youth... took them all for granted, and didn't even think they were all that athletic. Remember being able to assume the seated crosslegged yoga position and get up to a standing position using your legs alone? I do!!).
Ah yes, the good old days :)

It makes sense to have the report filed where the person was last seen, since that is where you would start looking. However NPPD could have been more helpful in getting NS in contact with the appropriate agency to file the report. I assume it's relatively easy for one police department to identify and contact another, at least easier than for a regular person. MOO
I think that's why NPPD is being so defensive about this. Suffolk County bent the rules a bit and allowed NS to file the report there as that is the location GP & BL departed for their trip. I think NPPD just blew her off instead of going out of their way to help like Suffolk County, NY did. And it blew up in their faces. MOO

On the 10th GP’s father was at the Ls’ and there was no trace or word about her. However, the van was present. The van was towed on the 11th after a missing person report was filed by GP’s parents. LE was well within the law to tow the van without a warrant, as it was owned by GP. It’s a section of the law cited as Sarasota County Nonconsenual Towing Ordinance which may be applied on the basis that that an owner is unavailable, a vehicle is stolen, etc.
(Ord. No. 2006-008, § 3, 1-25-2006; Ord. No. 2007-089, § 3, 10-10-2007)

Joe Petito never went to the Laundrie home.

I have never been comfortable with the discussions that question GP's outdoor and camping know-how, or her fear of being alone. While I think she would have preferred to have somebody with her at all times, I do not think she was completely unable to handle being on her own for periods of time. I'm aware of her being called "dependent," her anxiety and what she said during the Moab stop, but that was a scary and stressful situation where she was facing LE and a forced separation from her boyfriend. I do not think it is fair to use that one instance to label her entire functionality. I could be very, very off with that assumption, though, and I readily admit it. Jmo.

I find it totally plausible that GP was okay with camping, hiking, and being alone some of that time while BL went off hiking while she worked on SM. I don't know why I get this impression, but I feel like it was potentially routine behavior for them. Maybe not for multiple overnights, but who knows. Maybe I'm just being idealistic, but I think GP was a typical 22-year-old woman with aspirations for adventure and success, and I want to give her the credit of having some tenacity in her own abilities. I do not think she was perfect, by any means, but I think she was spirited. Jmo.

Brian Laundrie was alive when he entered the picture, and now Brian Laundrie is dead.

Since we still don't know the exact nature of what was said between SB and the Laundries, and may never will, we can't say for sure that his legal advice was bad, but I'm more than willing to believe that the guy from out of state who specializes in real estate law giving advice over the phone in a missing persons/homicide case may have not given good advice, what with BL ending up dead, seemingly by his own hand, instead of safe in custody. IMO, JMO, MOO, etc.

I don't agree that it was "seemingly by his own hand." We don't know the advice that SB gave the Laundries other than don't talk. I'm assuming that he said the same thing to BL. Did you want SB to tell BL to turn himself in? Not all lawyers are going to tell their client that. At that point, BL wasn't charged with anything. We don't even know if SB knows everything. Unless we have all the information, it's hard to say that SB made a mistake.

That being said, I don't necessarily agree with the way he has handled things in the public.

There was quite a bit of inventing going on. I am putting it down to the forum in which those quotes were made.

This wasn't the first time Gabby and BL travelled across country:

On August 19, while Brian was gone, Gabby uploaded a video to YouTube. She wrote in the description:

A glimpse into our van adventures! After our first cross country trip in a little Nissan Sentra, we both decided we to wanted downsize our lives and travel full time, but trying to fit everything for two people into the tiny little trunk of the car, also spending way too much on gas, food, and airbnb, was not the road to take. We quickly realized we had to come up with a solution if we wanted to continue traveling and living nomadically, so that’s why we handcrafted our own tiny van, a simple 2012 Ford transit connect, utilizing space with unique designs and features. Creating a space for both artistic expression and distance hiking. Thank you so much for watching, and we hope you tag along on our journey wherever the van takes us!

WATCH: Gabby Petito’s YouTube video posted while Brian Laundrie left her in Utah (dennismichaellynch.com)

I have never been comfortable with the discussions that question GP's outdoor and camping know-how, or her fear of being alone. While I think she would have preferred to have somebody with her at all times, I do not think she was completely unable to handle being on her own for periods of time. I'm aware of her being called "dependent," her anxiety and what she said during the Moab stop, but that was a scary and stressful situation where she was facing LE and a forced separation from her boyfriend. I do not think it is fair to use that one instance to label her entire functionality. I could be very, very off with that assumption, though, and I readily admit it. Jmo.

I find it totally plausible that GP was okay with camping, hiking, and being alone some of that time while BL went off hiking while she worked on SM. I don't know why I get this impression, but I feel like it was potentially routine behavior for them. Maybe not for multiple overnights, but who knows. Maybe I'm just being idealistic, but I think GP was a typical 22-year-old woman with aspirations for adventure and success, and I want to give her the credit of having some tenacity in her own abilities. I do not think she was perfect, by any means, but I think she was spirited. Jmo.

IMO, because we know so little about anyone involved in this case, a lot of speculation and assumption has grown legs. And what we do know consists entirely of curated SM posts, recollections of grieving friends and relatives, and a recording of a stressful interaction with police, so who knows how accurate a picture this information paints.

https://moversguide.usps.com/mgo/disclaimer?_gl=1*1u8g8dg*_ga*MTg0OTc4NjQ3MS4xNjM1ODU4MjYy*_ga_3NXP3C8S9V*MTYzNTg1ODI2Mi43LjAuMTYzNTg1ODI2Mi4w

I don't doubt a change of address form for US mail can be completed online these days. Much easier than it used to be. But to change an address, the person needs a new address to change to. Is the assumption G&B were going to live with Gabby's mother and stepfather next? It seems odd that was never mentioned by her family. And odd NS seemed to think all of GP's property was in FL.

When I questioned this idea previously, posters pointed out that young people (as well as other people of any age) may do things differently than I would. I'd certainly agree with that. But I still fail to see why they'd try to become NY residents before their nomadic trip while maintaining the van registration in Florida. It wasn't for insurance purposes as car insurance costs more in FL than NY. And so far as I know, a person doesn't really have a (legal) choice about where to register a car. It's registered in the state where one lives. Finally it wasn't clear to me that either G or B intended to get paying jobs anytime soon. But NY does have state income tax and FL doesn't. Looks like a 4% tax rate on $0-$8500 if filing single. New York State Income Tax: 2021 Rates, Who Pays - NerdWallet
Why sign up to pay that without living there? Just seems weird. And like @CharlestonGal said, it does seem the NPPD may have evolving reasons for not acting sooner.

If GP and BL wanted their US Mail to go to GP's mother for some reason while they were traveling, they could have had it forwarded. They didn't need to "move to NY" for that to happen. Just odd. And odd if JP moved to FL to be close to GP as he said he did.
JMO

I think that's why NPPD is being so defensive about this. Suffolk County bent the rules a bit and allowed NS to file the report there as that is the location GP & BL departed for their trip. I think NPPD just blew her off instead of going out of their way to help like Suffolk County, NY did. And it blew up in their faces. MOO
But she did not go missing from North Port
And they had no Intention moving back anytime soon. She was last with her mom before she left for her trip! I’d think Mom was the best person to file a MPR. Since she is the one Gabby spoke to all the time abs she is MOM!

There was nothing NPPD could do!
Just my 2 cents

I don't doubt a change of address form for US mail can be completed online these days. Much easier than it used to be. But to change an address, the person needs a new address to change to. Is the assumption G&B were going to live with Gabby's mother and stepfather next? It seems odd that was never mentioned by her family. And odd NS seemed to think all of GP's property was in FL.

When I questioned this idea previously, posters pointed out that young people (as well as other people of any age) may do things differently than I would. I'd certainly agree with that. But I still fail to see why they'd try to become NY residents before their nomadic trip while maintaining the van registration in Florida. It wasn't for insurance purposes as car insurance costs more in FL than NY. And so far as I know, a person doesn't really have a (legal) choice about where to register a car. It's registered in the state where one lives. Finally it wasn't clear to me that either G or B intended to get paying jobs anytime soon. But NY does have state income tax and FL doesn't. Looks like a 4% tax rate on $0-$8500 if filing single. New York State Income Tax: 2021 Rates, Who Pays - NerdWallet
Why sign up to pay that without living there? Just seems weird. And like @CharlestonGal said, it does seem the NPPD may have evolving reasons for not acting sooner.

If GP and BL wanted their US Mail to go to GP's mother for some reason while they were traveling, they could have had it forwarded. They didn't need to "move to NY" for that to happen. Just odd. And odd if JP moved to FL to be close to GP as he said he did.
JMO
It also doesn't make sense that NS tried to file the initial missing person report in North Port, FL if the couple had moved to NY. If they had "moved" to NY, why call North Port at all? One would think if Gabby had moved back to NY her mother would have known it. jmo

Yes, reportedly it was sold in July. Someone here posted a long time ago, that the move-in date for new owners may have been some time in August. Cassie said that her Father wanted Brian's help to move stuff (from where, she did not say) All I can figure is that there was other stuff besides G&B's that needed to be moved for the dad to have Brian fly round trip from SLC in the middle of his van trip to move only G&B's stuff out of the locker. So there may have been lots of stuff in the condo that Laundries owned that needed to be moved as well. I'm just surmising here. This makes the most sense to me. If it was just G&B's stuff that had to be moved, his dad could have done it himself or hired someone for the day's work without Brian spending round trip fare and Gabby staying a week at the Fairfield which SB presumed, was out of their mutual funds. That's pretty absurd. Also, just moving G&B stuff wouldn't take from the 17th of August to the 23rd.... It's also possible that Brian told his parents that he and Gabby were not getting along, and his Dad thought that having him come home would be a good break, so used the moving stuff as an excuse for Brian to come home??? Just MY Opinion.

Speculation: Brian took Gabby’s keys and phone, and used her money (SB says they shared expenses) to buy a plane ticket just to show her how important he was. Maybe he helped his father, but maybe flying home to help was just a way to abuse Gabby. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member