Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
bbm

Morality is such a sticky wicket. What one person considers to be moral is purely their opinion of what right behavior is. Nobody has to live according to anyone else's standards of morality, particularly not the L parents, or their attorney, for that matter. So, rather than say that "one is free to be immoral," it would be more correct to say that people are free to live according to their own standards of morality/right & wrong as long as they don't break the laws of the land.

Thats why we all have the right to our own moral code. I just don’t find ignoring a frantic parent looking for their child who is engaged to mine and about whom I have information to be “moral” under any circumstances. Hard no from me. From my anecdotal survey it also wouldn’t be acceptable to most community members where I live in small town New England and for that I am exceedingly glad.

What is wrong is that, from my point of view as a pretend defense attorney, they said WAY too much and it could be held against them in a court of law.

They are not required to produce BL, who has probably already said he won't talk to police (perhaps many times, perhaps in the past as well as recently).

The "she's not here" segment of the parental speech act would, I think be a reasonable minimum answer. The next two sentences should not be uttered to a police man. They should then hand over the card of their attorney. LE cannot enter their home without a warrant. There is no probable cause at that point in time.

And that's how a person should behave if LE shows up at the door (especially if you truly have no clue why they are there - which has happened to many people).

Normally I agree with almost everything you say and I thing you add a lot to the convos.
I think this topic has been tainted by all the back-and-forthing and our knowledge of what the end result was for both of the kids.
And I get the idea about wanting a lawyer if the police are asking you questions at the station.
But if a police officer just showed up at my door and said, "We are doing a welfare check on your elderly neighbor several houses down the street because his/her children haven't been able to get through to them for several days, have you seen them around at all?" I really don't think I would need to call a lawyer to say, "no officer, I don't really know them, and I haven't seen them around at all this fall."
To need a lawyer for this seems to me to be paranoia.
However, if they called me down to the station because they "wanted to talk about my relationship with this neighbor who was missing", then that is the time to call a lawyer. . . .

JMHO. . . .

My point is that we do not have the official missing person report. We have an Incident report. I think that the only place to put MIP was under offenses to be keyed into the computer later, if you look at the incident report on the side (looks like for filing purposes) it also says MIP. JMO

It's only one of several things it stands for and would not be listed under offences on a missing persons report, IMO. I found out that it can also stand for "Misdemeanor Intervention Program" as well. This would potentially make sense when listen under offences.

MOO.
If you go to the link it's a news release from the Daytona Beach Police with an attached police incident report. In the incident report in the box titled "nature of call" LE typed "MIP Mentally Ill Person.
The usual definition for MIP is Minor in Possession. In Montana, Utah and Colorado it means "missing indigenous person". In California MIP means missing person. However in Florida MIP appears to be mentally ill person, as seen in the attached police incident report. Perhaps sometimes Florida is the same as California and uses MIP for missing person, but I haven't found any verification of that online.
https://www.codb.us/DocumentCenter/View/16539/nova-wood-incident?bidId=

Thats why we all have the right to our own moral code. I just don’t find ignoring a frantic parent looking for their child who is engaged to mine and about whom I have information to be “moral” under any circumstances. Hard no from me. From my anecdotal survey it also wouldn’t be acceptable to most community members where I live in small town New England and for that I am exceedingly glad.
I would think that most people would agree that it's wrong to ignore frantic parents in a situation such as this; however, I would also think that most parents finding themselves in a situation where their child is likely to be a POI/suspect in this sort of situation, would do what the Ls did: lawyer everyone up and stfu. Because innocent people do end up in prison based on what LE does with information freely given.

If you go to the link it's a news release from the Daytona Beach Police with an attached police incident report. In the incident report in the box titled "nature of call" LE typed "MIP Mentally Ill Person.
The usual definition for MIP is Minor in Possession. In Montana, Utah and Colorado it means "missing indigenous person". In California MIP means missing person. However in Florida MIP appears to be mentally ill person, as seen in the attached police incident report. Perhaps sometimes Florida is the same as California and uses MIP for missing person, but I haven't found any verification of that online.
You're linking a report from a police dept that is not North Port PD. Daytona Beach PD may not use the same codes as NPPD. The codes may vary from department to department, or from court district to court district.

The NPPD incident report clearly states it's about a Missing Person and the uses the abbreviation: MIP. It's safe to assume that MIP, in this instance refers to a MIssing Person.

Last edited:
It's only one of several things it stands for and would not be listed under offences on a missing persons report which it was on BL's, IMO. I found out that it can also stand for "Misdemeanor Intervention Program" as well.

MOO.

Spelling.
Oh for goodness sake. Re-read your post Coquette, you figured it out and didn't even realize it! MIP is listed under "offenses", doesn't it make more sense that this is about Gabby as the missing person and not Brian? Remember this day LE went to the home to do a search, found Brian wasn't there and filed a missing person report on him. So the offense of missing person is may be in response to Gabby, not Brian.

In everything I've read that involves her interaction with law enforcement, it seems like "mental health" has been used as a justification. In the case of the Moab stop, the report emphasizes her mental health because they were preemptively justifying not arresting her. They said it was a "mental health crisis" more than DV because they had concerns about their compliance with the statute.

In the missing persons report, I think that getting resources allocated to her case hinged on it being "special" in some way. The route they decided to go was "mental illness/mental health". Remember that her mother called the one LEO that helped her "her angel" -- I would bet that part of being an angel was finding a way to cut through the red tape.

My own opinion is that Gabby was in no way mentally ill. Maybe she had anxiety, many of us do, but I think that "mental health" and "mental illness" were bandied about as a way to justify LE actions, and not because she actually had serious mental health issues that went beyond the normal problems that almost everyone has.

My point is that we do not have the official missing person report. We have an Incident report. I think that the only place to put MIP was under offenses to be keyed into the computer later, if you look at the incident report on the side (looks like for filing purposes) it also says MIP. JMO

Yes, that is certainly possible.

MOO.

Perhaps there are reasons the L's did not answer the P's? We have no idea what the relationship was like between the six parents involved. If my adult daughter's ex-boyfriend's family started texting or calling me out of the blue, I'd ask my daughter what the heck was going on before deciding whether to call them back or get in the middle of the situation at all. And if my daughter started telling me things that did not make sense or were alarming in some way I'd keep after her for answers. jmo

Most would do just as you said.

But it's also important to consider the pile-up of context that the Laundries had. They knew those calls and texts that came out of the blue started arriving 9 days after their child arrived home unexpectedly from a road trip driving a vehicle that was not exclusively his. They also knew that, unless Brian straight up said when he arrived on 9/1 that he'd left Gabby in Wyoming to fend for herself with no car and no debit card, any texts or VM's they viewed after he got home were flying in the face of Brian's explanation about Gabby. And they knew Gabby's mom was concerned about the Laundrie's son as well as her own daughter.

Most anyone would be checking for a truckload of clarity at that point....after which they'd quickly realize they'd become aware of some (being gentle here -->) discrepancies that needed the courtesy of a reply.....or, as in this case, not.

Oh for goodness sake. Re-read your post Coquette, you figured it out and didn't even realize it! MIP is listed under "offenses", doesn't it make more sense that this is about Gabby as the missing person and not Brian? Remember this day LE went to the home to do a search, found Brian wasn't there and filed a missing person report on him. So the offense of missing person is may be in response to Gabby, not Brian.

Respectfully, it was my understanding that the incident report was for and about BL alone. I do not believe GP would be on said report.

My opinion only. I could be wrong, of course.

"Bertolino said he received a call from the FBI on Friday, Sept. 17 about a tip that Laundrie was in Tampa. He said he told the agent again that Laundrie never came home from his hike, and law enforcement responded to the family’s North Port home. A missing person report was filed that night."

"When was Brian Laundrie reported missing? | WFLA" When was Brian Laundrie reported missing?

Last edited:
In everything I've read that involves her interaction with law enforcement, it seems like "mental health" has been used as a justification. In the case of the Moab stop, the report emphasizes her mental health because they were preemptively justifying not arresting her. They said it was a "mental health crisis" more than DV because they had concerns about their compliance with the statute.

In the missing persons report, I think that getting resources allocated to her case hinged on it being "special" in some way. The route they decided to go was "mental illness/mental health". Remember that her mother called the one LEO that helped her "her angel" -- I would bet that part of being an angel was finding a way to cut through the red tape.

My own opinion is that Gabby was in no way mentally ill. Maybe she had anxiety, many of us do, but I think that "mental health" and "mental illness" were bandied about as a way to justify LE actions, and not because she actually had serious mental health issues that went beyond the normal problems that almost everyone has.
Missing and Endangered reports would also bring more urgency to a search so would have served her interests well if that is how they went about it.

I live in California. MIP most often does mean Minor In Possession. Again, there are at least 3-4 different things MIP could have meant on the report. I will leave it there until there is a definitive statement of clarity given by someone in the know in regard to this particular report for BL.

Cheers.

ETA: I appreciate your thoughts and research. :)

Last edited:
I live in California. MIP most often does mean Minor In Possession. Again, there are at least 3-4 different things MIP could have meant on the report. I will leave it there until there is a definitive statement of clarity given by someone in the know in regard to this particular report for BL.

Cheers.

With respect, why would a minor in possession be filed on an incident report regarding Brian being missing? It does not make sense to me. But maybe thats me. JMO

With respect, why would a minor in possession be filed on an incident report regarding Brian being missing? It does not make sense to me. But maybe thats me. JMO

It doesn't make any sense to me either. Brian was almost 24. Even if he had a alcohol possession charge after moving to FL before he turned 21 (unlikely IMO; reporters would have found it as he wouldn't have been a juvenile) what would that have to do with him being missing 3+ years later?
JMO

What does that mean, you think? Anyone.

I figure that's...shouting or incident indicating...issues...within the hearing of the officer, and no one called it in?
IF the shouting incident between BL and Gabby actually happened and nobody called it in; that only makes what happened even worse IMO.
Am curious to know if there had been any other LE reports of incidents between them that we do not know about.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member