Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bertolino’s statements making Brian and Gabby equivalent remind me of a great true crime type book I read called The Events of October.

There was a murder-suicide at Kalamazoo College, a fancy private college in Michigan. In the aftermath the shellshocked leaders kept referring to the happenings as a double tragedy, two bright young lives lost too soon, two of our own gone senselessly etc. etc.

The author of the book, a professor there who was well-versed in violence against women, had to reset their perspectives and wrote the book to address such cultural biases.

Almost half of women who are murdered are murdered by an intimate partner. Only one out of 20 for murdered men. Three out of four murder suicides involve intimate partners, and in almost ALL of them, about 95%, women are the victim.

murder suicide is a extremely violent and extremely selfish act. And almost all of them are against women, So the victim blaming and equating the perpetrator and the victim as tragedy all around is almost always biased against women and something very ugly that masks the true nature of murderous violence against women.

so it is surprising or disturbing in this day and age to read Bertolino statements saying that two families lost a child and May Gabby and Brian rest in peace and its tragedy all around, very much avoiding the elephant in the room that one committed extreme violence against the other.

It’s One of two things, either he is too biased to see how unbelievably offensive it is or It’s almost as if the Laundries somehow blame Gabby for all this. Blame her for dreaming big and taking Brian on this joyride that he couldn’t handle and being too much for him and provoking him to tragic end. They think they lost their son because of Gabby? Because of the Petitos? How else can you explain how cold and cruel they’ve been right through the end of this?

Some say Bertolino did his job by keeping the laundries protected from criminality But I think he almost did them a far greater disservice by his terribly offensive and infuriating communication throughout this ordeal.

Last edited:
What I learned from watching that program last night was that Brian Laundrie's parents are despicable human beings. They never responded to Gabby's parents when her parents were trying to find information after Gabby was not responding to them. I believe Brian told his parents he murdered Gabby ( don't know at what point he told them, but I believe he did tell them). Gabby was his fiance, she lived in their home and yet, and beyond all understanding, when her parents reached out to them, when they were distraught because she was not responding to them, his parents ignored them. Their behavior is inexcusable. They are disgusting and awful people.

If you read the article, it clearly states this was circulating social media back when his body was first found and was never authenticated.

Exactly, you will see that I also said that it came from TikTok. So am I missing your point? I never implied in any way that I believed it was authentic.

What I learned from watching that program last night was that Brian Laundrie's parents are despicable human beings. They never responded to Gabby's parents when her parents were trying to find information after Gabby was not responding to them. I believe Brian told his parents he murdered Gabby ( don't know at what point he told them, but I believe he did tell them). Gabby was his fiance, she lived in their home and yet, and beyond all understanding, when her parents reached out to them, when they were distraught because she was not responding to them, his parents ignored them. Their behavior is inexcusable. They are disgusting and awful people.

I agree they ended up awful but I also think they may have been misled by Brian until they were in too deep.

once I saw that Bryan was using his phone and Gabby‘s phone to make up fake conversations between them, I immediately thought that he may have showed his parents HIS phone with seemingly legit texts from Gabby, which would have very much tricked them.

For example he may have texted himself from Gaby‘s phone about her wanting him to take the van back home and that she is going on with her friends or whatever. Or he may have texted himself from Gabby‘s phone some mean and cruel things that would have made his parents very offended at Gabby.

but still at some point, AT SOME POINT, they should have come forward and said:

OMG our son murdered your daughter and we are terribly terribly horrified and sorry!!!

That they never have and maybe never will is mind boggling and indeed disgusting.

I agree they ended up awful but I also think they may have been misled by Brian until they were in too deep.

once I saw that Bryan was using his phone and Gabby‘s phone to make up fake conversations between them, I immediately thought that he may have showed his parents HIS phone with seemingly legit texts from Gabby, which would have very much tricked them.

For example he may have texted himself from Gaby‘s phone about her wanting him to take the van back home and that she is going on with her friends or whatever. Or he may have texted himself from Gabby‘s phone some mean and cruel things that would have made his parents very offended at Gabby.

but still at some point, AT SOME POINT, they should have come forward and said:

OMG our son murdered your daughter and we are terribly terribly horrified and sorry!!!

That they never have and maybe never will is mind boggling and indeed disgusting.

What gets me though is early on, when her parents could not get a response from her and she contacted his parents, they did not respond- why didn't they? is it because they knew their son had killed her? I don't know, but why did they not respond when her parents initially reached out to them? that boggles my mind.

What gets me though is early on, when her parents could not get a response from her and she contacted his parents, they did not respond- why didn't they? is it because they knew their son had killed her? I don't know, but why did they not respond when her parents initially reached out to them? that boggles my mind.

If he went to the trouble of trying to make it look like he and Gabby were communicating, I doubt if he told his parents he killed her. It seems he was trying to set things up so it would appear that she alive and just not with him. They may look like bad people but in hindsight, they'd look a lot worse if they had told Gabby's parents any lie their son told them.

I've always felt that something forced BL to abruptly leave home when he did and I suspect that the cause was very likely mounting pressure from his own parents as they came to realize that his story wasn't adding up and started asking harder questions. Maybe the night he left was when his parents came to realize their son very likely killed Gabby.

If he went to the trouble of trying to make it look like he and Gabby were communicating, I doubt if he told his parents he killed her. It seems he was trying to set things up so it would appear that she alive and just not with him. They may look like bad people but in hindsight, they'd look a lot worse if they had told Gabby's parents any lie their son told them.

I've always felt that something forced BL to abruptly leave home when he did and I suspect that the cause was very likely mounting pressure from his own parents as they came to realize that his story wasn't adding up and started asking harder questions. Maybe the night he left was when his parents came to realize their son very likely killed Gabby.
This is pretty much how I feel like it happened, too. I don't think he wanted anyone to know what he had done. When GP's parents started contacting them, I think his story began to fall apart and the Ls, like you said, maybe started asking questions. Or, BL could have blocked their numbers from his parent's phones, or gave them some explanation. He had obviously made other attempts to hide the truth. With LE seizing the van on Sept. 11, though, there was no doubt GP's family, and LE, were taking GP's disappearance seriously. So yeah, the Ls must have been worried what their son had done. They talked to their lawyer friend because they didn't know how to handle things, and the lawyer said to keep quiet, so they did. Even at that point, maybe nobody but BL knew GP was dead, although they were likely getting suspicious. Then came the Sept. 13 press conference with GP's family. Clearly, this was not going away, everyone was putting two and two together, so BL took off.

Now, the question remains: why did it take the Ls so long to report him missing? According to the FBI's final statement, that happened on Sept. 17 during a welfare check. Okay, that makes the Ls look bad. I get it. But we also have SB saying he told an FBI agent that Brian hadn't come home already on the night of the 13th. People can hate on SB, but he made that statement publicly. A majorly risky move for himself and his clients if it was a blatant lie. Maybe the FBI didn't add that date in their final statement because it was never on record. Or, for those who don't trust LE, maybe the FBI was saving face for not doing something with the information sooner.

Either way, if the Ls thought the FBI already knew, then that might account for why they didn't report it again until NPPD came knocking on the 17th. Since taking off and hiking for a few days was reportedly not out-of-character for BL, maybe the Ls didn't necessarily think he would seriously go kill himself, especially if they didn't know he had a gun yet.

I'm not supporting BL or his parents for known or suspected unethical, immoral, or illegal activities. I don't know why it always has to be an all or nothing perspective. In the end, maybe the Ls were just horrible, horrible people. Idk. But the devil is in the details, which we simply don't have.

Last edited:
This is pretty much how I feel like it happened, too. I don't think he wanted anyone to know what he had done. When GP's parents started contacting them, I think his story began to fall apart and the Ls, like you said, maybe started asking questions. Or, BL could have blocked their numbers from his parent's phones, or told them some story. He had obviously made other attempts to hide the truth. With LE seizing the van on Sept. 11, though, there was no doubt GP's family, and LE, were taking GP's disappearance seriously. So yeah, the Ls must have been worried what their son had done. They talked to their lawyer friend because they didn't know how to handle things, and the lawyer said to keep quiet, so they did. Even at that point, maybe nobody but BL knew GP was dead, although they were likely getting suspicious. Then came the Sept. 13 press conference with GP's family. Clearly, this was not going away, everyone was putting two and two together, so BL took off.

Now, the question remains: why did it take the Ls so long to report him missing? According to the FBI's final statement, that happened on Sept. 17 during a welfare check. Okay, that makes the Ls look bad. I get it. But we also have SB saying he told an FBI agent that Brian hadn't come home already on the night of the 13th. People can hate on SB, but he made that statement publicly. A majorly risky move for himself and his clients if it was a blatant lie. Maybe the FBI didn't add that date in their final statement because it was never on record. Or, for those who don't trust LE, maybe the FBI was saving face for not doing something with the information sooner.

Either way, if the Ls thought the FBI already knew, then that might account for why they didn't report it again until NPPD came knocking on the 17th. Since taking off and hiking for a few days was reportedly not out-of-character for BL, maybe the Ls didn't necessarily think he would seriously go kill himself, especially if they didn't know he had a gun yet.

I'm not supporting BL or his parents for known or suspected unethical, immoral, or illegal activities. I don't know why it always has to be an all or nothing perspective. In the end, maybe the Ls were just horrible, horrible people. Idk. But the devil is in the details, which we simply don't have.

You make some excellent points---

This is pretty much how I feel like it happened, too. I don't think he wanted anyone to know what he had done. When GP's parents started contacting them, I think his story began to fall apart and the Ls, like you said, maybe started asking questions. Or, BL could have blocked their numbers from his parent's phones, or gave them some explanation. He had obviously made other attempts to hide the truth. With LE seizing the van on Sept. 11, though, there was no doubt GP's family, and LE, were taking GP's disappearance seriously. So yeah, the Ls must have been worried what their son had done. They talked to their lawyer friend because they didn't know how to handle things, and the lawyer said to keep quiet, so they did. Even at that point, maybe nobody but BL knew GP was dead, although they were likely getting suspicious. Then came the Sept. 13 press conference with GP's family. Clearly, this was not going away, everyone was putting two and two together, so BL took off.

I agree we really don't know if SB told an agent BL had not returned. I said in another post the final FBI report doesn't rule out that happening simply because it's not mentioned. And as you say, if SB did notify an agent it could be that the FBI prefers not to acknowledge they seemed to have sat on that information. I don't know if the FBI read enough social media to know some people blamed the L's for BL's "escape" but they'd probably not want to look bumbling like the NPPD did when they admitted they mistook Brian's mother for him while surveiling the house.

The timeline in the FBI report didn't mention lots of stuff we know happened. For example, it doesn't mention the searches of vehicles and the L's home. It doesn't mention when warrants were obtained for cell records. It does say how early (or late) certain things were known.
JMO

IMO - Because they immediately contacted their lawyer who told them to shut up - remember the Petito's said they were contacting the police after the Laundrie's did not return phone calls. They thought both of them were missing at that point.

Cold yes. But they took care of themselves.

I happen to be of the belief that the Laundries simply did not like the Petito's making any exchange hardly likely no matter the topic. Unless there's been reasonable comment otherwise, I've never hear of any contact between the two families... ever. Some may say that's normal. I dunno if it is. No matter though, it still points to a division between the two groups. Or, yeah, I suppose it could be that the Laundries knew every sordid detail of the killing and elected to be silent. Either way (or somewhere in-between) It think the communication and judgement of every single person involved in this entire "case" was deficient. Yep... my opinion(s).

I happen to be of the belief that the Laundries simply did not like the Petito's making any exchange hardly likely no matter the topic. Unless there's been reasonable comment otherwise, I've never hear of any contact between the two families... ever. Some may say that's normal. I dunno if it is. No matter though, it still points to a division between the two groups. Or, yeah, I suppose it could be that the Laundries knew every sordid detail of the killing and elected to be silent. Either way (or somewhere in-between) It think the communication and judgement of every single person involved in this entire "case" was deficient. Yep... my opinion(s).

I am pretty sure NS said G&B started dating after high school but people who went to school with them said they dated during high school.

It might be more likely for his and her parents to have had contact with each other if the couple dated in high school AND the fact they were dating was known by all the parents. That doesn't appear to be the case. So I wouldn't think the families would necessarily have had anything to do with each other simply because G&B had a relationship. In fact, I found it quite odd that GP's family members seemed to say they had Cassie's cell number.

I guess it makes sense her family might have had B's mother's number since the couple lived with B's parents just before embarking on the trip. And maybe they had a number for Cassie because the couple lived with her too at one point. But otherwise I think it was strange. I don't think it's usual-- at least not where I live-- for parents to have phone numbers for their adult children's significant others' adult siblings. And Cassie has said she never got a call or msg nor was one recorded in her phone log even though JP said they tried to call her.

So I'm not sure all the numbers her family had were even current. (Someone way back posted on WS a way to look up cell numbers. But I tried it and couldn't find several numbers I already had for friends & family.) Also except for NS's calls to BL, I believe this frantic calling to his family happened all on one day. So it was not days and days of calls to BL's family and depending on what BL told his parents, I might not have called her family back either if I were in their shoes. (For example, if he told them she dumped him, or said she said she didn't want to talk to her parents, and so on.)

It also seems NS waited a fairly long time before trying to call anyone except G&B. That suggests to me she likely didn't really know B's family. Or perhaps the hypothesized dislike was mutual.
JMO

RBBM for focus.

It depends on the families. I was very involved with a man (living together, soon to be married) and neither of our families ever contacted the other. I would go to his parents house, visit and have dinners, he'd come to mine for the same reason. But the 2 families? Nope. Neither reached out to the other, and honestly, I don't think either family gave it any thought.

So in a nutshell... everyone has different experiences. Some families may bond so much they always get together for holidays and vacations, and others, like mine, just don't give it a second thought. And for the record... my parents and my ex (never married him) liked each other SO much they were still exchanging Xmas cards DECADES after we broke up. LOL :p

RBBM for focus.

It depends on the families. I was very involved with a man (living together, soon to be married) and neither of our families ever contacted the other. I would go to his parents house, visit and have dinners, he'd come to mine for the same reason. But the 2 families? Nope. Neither reached out to the other, and honestly, I don't think either family gave it any thought.

So in a nutshell... everyone has different experiences. Some families may bond so much they always get together for holidays and vacations, and others, like mine, just don't give it a second thought. And for the record... my parents and my ex (never married him) liked each other SO much they were still exchanging Xmas cards DECADES after we broke up. LOL :p

My mom has my in laws contact information for emergencies but she’s only met my husbands dad once, never met anyone else in his family. So that’s not weird to me. But since Gabbys parents were trying to get a response from the Laundries I’m assuming they had contact information.

IMO BL didn’t suffer through any of this. The family camping photos show a happy guy with his nephews. His sister sensed no problem and just shook off GP absence with a ‘they must have broken-up’ rational. GP was reported missing on the 11th, BL took off on the 13th. He missed any Petitos on TV crying about their daughter.
IMO what might have changed BL’s carefully planned alibi, went down after LE showed up on the 11th, SB was brought in late that night and the conversations began. I still go back to CL lawn mowing on the 13th and BL being so distraught when he left, and the Ls and SBs ever changing story of that week.
The fact that many people don't recognize abuse is highlighted in this case, which is great. But many people also don't recognize someone who is suicidal, and that needs to be addressed. It's not always someone who is curled up in a corner crying. So many family members are confused and shocked at their loved one's death and you often hear "but they were smiling, they acted fine". This article shows some good examples and discusses it.

Suicide: Woman's post about not 'looking suicidal' goes viral (today.com)

So I wonder in this notebook, did the coward leave a note for his parents?? I can't see how admitting he murdered Gabby would bring closure to her family. Gabby's family knew from the beginning BL killed their beautiful daughter. I also do not see this as justice for Gabby. RIP sweet angel. I wish BL could have been held responsible for what he did to you.
I don't believe they "knew" from the beginning. They strongly suspected, but when you are investigating your child's death, that's not enough to bring closure. You need to know beyond all shadow of doubt what happened. There is always that tiny voice in the night saying "what if...". They are always questions. I'm glad Brian fessed up before he died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur