Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that many people don't recognize abuse is highlighted in this case, which is great. But many people also don't recognize someone who is suicidal, and that needs to be addressed. It's not always someone who is curled up in a corner crying. So many family members are confused and shocked at their loved one's death and you often hear "but they were smiling, they acted fine". This article shows some good examples and discusses it.

Suicide: Woman's post about not 'looking suicidal' goes viral (today.com)
Thank you for posting this. We're not allowed to talk about mental health on here, but it's likely a thread in the very fabric of their relationship, and the abuse. They both admitted to anxiety. Who knows what might have been had either or both gotten help.

Last edited:
You know, ever since I read that the Teton County Coroner’s Office "subsequently concluded Ms. Petito died of “blunt-force injuries to the head and neck, with manual strangulation" (link at bottom of this post).... I can't help but think back to when crime scene photos of trees and rocks were marked and numbered with orange spray paint were posted. It didn't make sense back then because we didn't know about blunt trauma to the head.

In the first pic in the link below the area looks fairly large. Not huge by any means, but larger than all within a foot or so as you can see a log with more orange paint in the background behind the trees in the forefront. I'm thinking she put up a struggle. Good for her, unfortunately it wasn't good enough. :(

Harrowing photos show trees and rocks around Gabby Petito's death site marked by FBI | Daily Mail Online

What looks like bruises on his arm during a family camping trip: Brian Laundrie's Sister Details Last Time She Saw Him During Camping Trip

Source: FBI Denver Provides Final Investigative Update on Gabrielle Petito Case — FBI

I guess I worded that wrong. I wonder what happened to cause him to kill her. Did they get in another fight, did she say they were done, what happened the day of her murder.
While it's possibly true that that information may not be forthcoming, in the spirit of pure speculated opinion, I suppose there could - within the realm of possibility - have been an element of self-defense. Clearly, there was the presence of firearms in (at least) Laundrie's life... and, by logical extension, in that of Petito's. It's surely possible (if not probable) that a firearm (or equivalent weapon) was among the "gear" of the travels. I speculate on the following... Petito determines it is time to separate from Laundrie. She has some degree of fear and decides to hold a weapon of some sort. Laundrie pursues her and is faced with a threatening. He over-neutralizes. She is dead. This does not address justification or condemnation of either party. It is simply a fathomable anemic outline of actions/occurrence. And, of course, it's ripe with speculation in keeping with like comments.

You know, ever since I read that the Teton County Coroner’s Office "subsequently concluded Ms. Petito died of “blunt-force injuries to the head and neck, with manual strangulation" (link at bottom of this post).... I can't help but think back to when crime scene photos of trees and rocks were marked and numbered with orange spray paint were posted. It didn't make sense back then because we didn't know about blunt trauma to the head.

In the first pic in the link below the area looks fairly large. Not huge by any means, but larger than all within a foot or so as you can see a log with more orange paint in the background behind the trees in the forefront. I'm thinking she put up a struggle. Good for her, unfortunately it wasn't good enough. :(

Harrowing photos show trees and rocks around Gabby Petito's death site marked by FBI | Daily Mail Online

What looks like bruises on his arm during a family camping trip: Brian Laundrie's Sister Details Last Time She Saw Him During Camping Trip

Source: FBI Denver Provides Final Investigative Update on Gabrielle Petito Case — FBI

Supposedly, during the searches, a news helicopter captured video of the body, which was quickly edited from the public media footage. That edited out part was shown to a former prosecutor from SL county, who analyzed it. For what it's worth, there's this:

Former Prosecutor Reveals Details Of How Gabby Petito’s Body Was Found After Analyzing Crime Scene Footage

Wyoming coroner: Gabby Petito's cause of death was strangulation

Morgan did not notice marks on the ground that might indicate that Petito was fighting her attacker.

There are also reports that she was covered with a blanket. Morgan also noted that there was a pair of hiking boots located beside the body.

It is unclear if these boots belonged to Petito.

Morgan claimed that the scene suggests that Petito’s killer acted quickly and did not stick around.

“This was quick. This was not sitting here for five or six hours, trying to figure out how to conceal a crime,” he said.

Last edited:

I believe earlier (many threads ago) it was confirmed the orange paint at the crime scene was from a previous invasive beetle study by park rangers. Or some kind of insect. I'm too lazy to search.

I believe earlier (many threads ago) it was confirmed the orange paint at the crime scene was from a previous invasive beetle study by park rangers. Or some kind of insect. I'm too lazy to search.
That's some beetle if they can burrow into rocks. LOL That could make sense if it was only trees that had paint on them, but some rocks also had orange paint on them. Also it's been stated that the paint was still wet.

I did a quick Google search (easier than searching numerous threads individually here) and found @mlhenn's old post that says "The orange paint on the dead trees was still wet.". If that's the case, I don't think it was a beetle study by park rangers. They wouldn't be doing a study during, and exactly in the place the FBI were working. And as I said... it was on rocks too.

Here is mlhenn's post: Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #20

The following is a timeline of the investigation:

• The FBI investigation revealed that, between August 30 and September 1, 2021, Mr. Laundrie had used Ms. Petito’s debit card without authorization on his drive back to Florida from Wyoming.
  • After Ms. Petito’s death, there were several text messages identified between Mr. Laundrie’s telephone and Ms. Petito’s telephone. The timing and content of these messages are indicative of Mr. Laundrie attempting to deceive law enforcement by giving the impression that Ms. Petito was still alive.
  • On September 15, 2021, Mr. Laundrie’s Ford Mustang was recovered from the T. Mabry Carlton Jr. Memorial Reserve and Myakkahatchee Creek Park in North Port, Florida.
  • On September 17, 2021, Mr. Laundrie’s parents reported him missing shortly after law enforcement conducted a welfare check at their residence.
  • On September 18, 2021, law enforcement officials commenced an extensive search of the park where Mr. Laundrie’s vehicle was parked and did not locate Mr. Laundrie. The area where Mr. Laundrie’s remains were later found was part of this search area, but the area was submerged due to recent flooding at the time of this initial search.
  • On September 22, 2021, the U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming issued a federal arrest warrant for Mr. Laundrie. The warrant was issued pursuant to a Federal Grand Jury indictment for violation of federal statute 18 U.S.C. § 1029(a)(1): “Use of Unauthorized Access Devices” related to Mr. Laundrie’s activities following the death of Ms. Petito.
  • On October 7, 2021, after law enforcement made a request through Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino, the Laundries provided personal effects to law enforcement which were to be used to assist in the search of the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park.
  • On October 20, 2021, after water had receded from the area and the park was reopened, Mr. Bertolino notified law enforcement that Mr. Laundrie’s parents intended to return to the park to search for Mr. Laundrie. Law enforcement officers were present when Mr. Laundrie’s parents located an item in the park later determined to belong to Mr. Laundrie.
  • Upon further search of the area, investigators found human remains later confirmed to be Mr. Laundrie, along with a backpack, notebook, and a revolver. A review of the notebook revealed written statements by Mr. Laundrie claiming responsibility for Ms. Petito’s death.
  • On November 23, 2021, the District 12 Medical Examiner’s Office in Sarasota, Florida, released its report on the manner and cause of death of Mr. Laundrie. The report concluded Mr. Laundrie died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
FBI Denver Provides Final Investigative Update on Gabrielle Petito Case | Federal Bureau of Investigation
*told y’all he had a gun from the get-go…

That's some beetle if they can burrow into rocks. LOL That could make sense if it was only trees that had paint on them, but some rocks also had orange paint on them. Also it's been stated that the paint was still wet.

I did a quick Google search (easier than searching numerous threads individually here) and found @mlhenn's old post that says "The orange paint on the dead trees was still wet.". If that's the case, I don't think it was a beetle study by park rangers. They wouldn't be doing a study during, and exactly in the place the FBI were working. And as I said... it was on rocks too.

Here is mlhenn's post: Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #20
You are right, I see that post now. I also wondered why rocks would be marked for insects!
I think I was confused when the Daily Mail reported “Former FBI agent says paint marks at site where Gabby Petito is found likely unrelated to investigation”

Thanks for hunting that down. I'm not sure I believe the Daily Mail article about wet paint. The DM article linked to the above post about wet paint has info about the stone cross that is wrong. What is pictured is the stone cross that isn't connected to GP, not the cross laid by her stepfather. The pictured cross was not where her body was found.

This article explains:

Gabby's stepdad leaves stone cross & flowers where her remains were found

It seems very unlikely to me IF they used orange paint it would have still been wet after investigators left and had reopened the area to the public. It could be the paint had gotten wet from rain. It could be the kind of paint used to mark buried lines before digging. That kind of temporary paint eventually washes away. I just can't imagine 1) experienced investigators would mark the presence of any evidence with orange paint (I believe a number of investigators have stated paint wouldn't be used that way) and 2) if paint was used for some unexplainable reason, it would have been applied so late while working at the site that it would have been still wet when investigators left. Most marking paints dry very quickly, within minutes.
JMO

Gabby’s case along with TT, and Google, helped me to realize that my husband is a narcissist, and that I’ve endured verbal, mental and emotional abuse for the last 4.5 years. (and as of late physical abuse)
During Gabby’s case I could not follow it because of the trauma that I have sustained as it was a trigger for me.
I had questioned my own behaviors and actions, which fueled me to start googling domestic violence & abuse, and all of it helped me to come to the realization that I had/have “reactive abuse”, like Gabby.
I am so, so, so very sorry that this happened to her, (and to me), and that it took losing her life for people like me, all over the world to realize that they have been in an abusive and toxic relationship.

For all of you who are believers in God and the Bible, it says in Romans 828 that “all things work together for good for those who love God and have been called according to His purpose”. And I take that to mean, the ‘all things’, that includes the bad things as well.

Oh how I wish it could have been different for her.

I appreciate what her family has done in her memory, creating the Gabby Petito Foundation. But am still very sad that it had to come to this for her and for her family.

YMMV. M()(). JMVHO.

Bertolino’s statements making Brian and Gabby equivalent remind me of a great true crime type book I read called The Events of October.

There was a murder-suicide at Kalamazoo College, a fancy private college in Michigan. In the aftermath the shellshocked leaders kept referring to the happenings as a double tragedy, two bright young lives lost too soon, two of our own gone senselessly etc. etc.

The author of the book, a professor there who was well-versed in violence against women, had to reset their perspectives and wrote the book to address such cultural biases.

Almost half of women who are murdered are murdered by an intimate partner. Only one out of 20 for murdered men. Three out of four murder suicides involve intimate partners, and in almost ALL of them, about 95%, women are the victim.

murder suicide is a extremely violent and extremely selfish act. And almost all of them are against women, So the victim blaming and equating the perpetrator and the victim as tragedy all around is almost always biased against women and something very ugly that masks the true nature of murderous violence against women.

so it is surprising or disturbing in this day and age to read Bertolino statements saying that two families lost a child and May Gabby and Brian rest in peace and its tragedy all around, very much avoiding the elephant in the room that one committed extreme violence against the other.

It’s One of two things, either he is too biased to see how unbelievably offensive it is or It’s almost as if the Laundries somehow blame Gabby for all this. Blame her for dreaming big and taking Brian on this joyride that he couldn’t handle and being too much for him and provoking him to tragic end. They think they lost their son because of Gabby? Because of the Petitos? How else can you explain how cold and cruel they’ve been right through the end of this?

Some say Bertolino did his job by keeping the laundries protected from criminality But I think he almost did them a far greater disservice by his terribly offensive and infuriating communication throughout this ordeal.
I don't think Bertolino is being offensive and infuriating, I think he is being honest. The Laundries lost their child and that is extremely painful. I don't see how sympathizing with the parents' loss of a child and wishing all to RIP is blaming the victim. The Laundries are in pain just like the Petitos, and added to that are a lot of vicious hateful people harassing them for something their son did. It's wrong and the Laundries need to be left in peace to mourn the death of their child. It is very cruel to trash parents mourning the death of their child.

I don't think Bertolino is being offensive and infuriating, I think he is being honest. The Laundries lost their child and that is extremely painful. I don't see how sympathizing with the parents' loss of a child and wishing all to RIP is blaming the victim. The Laundries are in pain just like the Petitos, and added to that are a lot of vicious hateful people harassing them for something their son did. It's wrong and the Laundries need to be left in peace to mourn the death of their child. It is very cruel to trash parents mourning the death of their child.
Well said. Thank you.

The fact that they wouldn't reply to Gabby's family pleas for information and took so long to report him missing makes me much less empathetic to their plight.

The fact that they wouldn't reply to Gabby's family pleas for information and took so long to report him missing makes me much less empathetic to their plight.
Is there any objectively reliable information about the Petito's claims of pleas for information? How many? Dates, times, frequency? Did all involve a voice message, or were some abandoned calls? A reasonably precise statement of what voice messages (if any) contained? If voice message were left, has anyone heard them? How many were there? were there attempts - even if unsuccessful - of response? Seems to me these would be important elements/aspects to know (not just speculate upon) to form a reliable opinion of those involved.

... people harassing them for something their son did.
Brian was not caught shoplifting. How easy it is to brush off murder as "something their son did".
Their son hurt people. Wouldn't you expect a call from the school if your kid punched another kid? And how can we learn and prevent this type of violence in the future, if the survivors refuse to engage? Should we not have questioned Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's parents about his behavior?

Should we have compassion for the Ls, when they had none for Gabby or her family?

Brian was not caught shoplifting. How easy it is to brush off murder as "something their son did".
Their son hurt people. Wouldn't you expect a call from the school if your kid punched another kid? And how can we learn and prevent this type of violence in the future, if the survivors refuse to engage? Should we not have questioned Dzhokhar Tsarnaev‘s parents about his behavior?

Should we have compassion for the Ls, when they had none for Gabby or her family?

This whole thing was a tragedy through and through, shattered dreams and futures so I don’t think anyone is selective in picking and choosing who warrants compassion. Sadly it appears absolutely nobody realized the extent of domestic violence that was occurring in Brian and Gabby’s relationship in order to have prevented their deaths, including the parents. To learn from this in order to prevent this type of violence in the future, it’s surely enough to hear the sad story especially for those involved in a relationship where hitting and slapping each other has become tolerated and acceptable behaviour. It’s not about the parents of these adult children, the ones who are left personally feeling all the pain and sorrow.

JMO

Their son hurt people. Wouldn't you expect a call from the school if your kid punched another kid? And how can we learn and prevent this type of violence in the future, if the survivors refuse to engage? Should we not have questioned Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's parents about his behavior?

The murder is something that just their son did. His parents have nothing to do with his crime. People shouldn't harass that elderly couple, they don't deserve the abuse. They have nothing to do with a murder. What's next, blame the next door neighbors? When do we start putting the blame on the perpetrator and stop blaming others for an adult's crime?
What does a children's fight in school have to do with adults?
Edited to move a sentence to make the post better.

Last edited:
They reported him missing within around 72 hours. Why is that considered a long time when it's about an adult? He left for the hike on the 13 and was reported missing on the 17th. As for talking to the Petitos, well, I've certainly stayed out of my son's relationships. Brian was an adult and his relationships were completely his, and had nothing to do with his parents.

Moo...i never got involved in my son's romances. I do not know if the romance will last..so i accept his choices...but it is their life. One girl lived with us for 2 years, i liked her..but they broke up...never met any of my sons girlfriends parents. I am totally not responsible for any arguments or disagreements they may have. He and she are both adults....i ain't playing mommy to them.....moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState