Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS. I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot with my left hand and write with my right hand. It isn't uncommon either.

I'm mostly right hand dominant though I can use either hand to do things- semi ambidextrous maybe? I'm left eye dominant and shoot with my left hand. I can use either but my left hand is better for shooting. So I'd say anomalies like this aren't as rare as they may think.

It's not like he was aiming at a target many yards away. Then you're going for accuracy and you'd use whatever hand you shoot best with to hit the bullseye. But to press the barrel against your head, and pull the trigger, that could easily be done with either hand. I don't think it matters much if he was right or left-handed in that case. Obviously MOO. :)

It's not like he was aiming at a target many yards away. Then you're going for accuracy and you'd use whatever hand you shoot best with to hit the bullseye. But to press the barrel against your head, and pull the trigger, that could easily be done with either hand. I don't think it matters much if he was right or left-handed in that case. Obviously MOO. :)

Yeah, maybe. But IF he usually shot with his right hand, it seems odd he'd kill himself with his left hand even if he was "able" to do it. That doesn't seem like a time to suddenly experiment with being ambidextrous unless his dominant hand was needed for something else or was injured. But all the autopsy report says is his sister said he was right-handed. Plus, the report seems to suggest he didn't shoot himself in the front of the head but on the left side. And while the bullet's trajectory was upward per the report, it didn't "waver" in it's L-R path. So even with a snub-nose, he must have used his left hand. But IF he was right-handed, why not shoot himself in the right side of his head?

I'm betting Cassie had no idea about his preferred shooting hand and it's probably not a big deal because people don't always shoot with their dominant hand. But the way the report is written, it invites speculation IMO.

no. It 100% was intentional, as we've gone over and over in these threads, Manual strangulation is 1st degree intentional homicide, because it takes a long time and the person can decide to stop. Also

A coroner concluded that Petito, 22, died of "blunt-force injuries to the head and neck, with manual strangulation."

That is a violent murder. Brian violently murdered Gabby, then tried to cover it up. I give him no grace. Her defending herself from him is not her abusing him. She was murdered, and Brian murdered her.

this

BL was "healthy" and did not not have a primary care physician.... hmmm.
Physically healthy -- probably; mentally, he was an immature, spoiled favorite child, super lazy, and a narcissist. He knew he was nowhere near Gabby's artistic ability and drive; he was jealous of her talent; he was tired of her always wanting the camper neat. Gabby knew what she wanted to do and was working hard on getting there; what was he gonna do for a living?
Nothing good I can say about him, other than I am glad he won't have an opportunity to do this again to anyone. JMHO

BL was "healthy" and did not not have a primary care physician.... hmmm.
During the Moab stop, he said a doctor prescribed anxiety meds, but he didn't take them. I wonder if that doctor was in NY or FL. Maybe he didn't have a PCP designated since they moved to FL. I honestly didn't either, when I was in my 20s, though. But I am curious who prescribed the anxiety meds.

During the Moab stop, he said a doctor prescribed anxiety meds, but he didn't take them. I wonder if that doctor was in NY or FL. Maybe he didn't have a PCP designated since they moved to FL. I honestly didn't either, when I was in my 20s, though. But I am curious who prescribed the anxiety meds.

It's also possible BL saw a doctor without his parents' knowledge. I know some view BL as not making a move without the L's knowing but, in reality, we know next to nothing about his relationship with his parents. About all we know for sure (and there are even a few holes in this) they gave Brian and Gabby free places to live (their house and their condo) & that allowed them to save money much faster so they could spend more time traveling. We know G's family contributed cash for the trips directly (NS said so anyway) while the L's gave what I would consider a "gift in kind" to the couple, a gift worth many thousands of dollars (in view of the cost of rent.) In that sense I suppose you could say both B & G were spoiled but that really doesn't tell us whether the L's knew everything B did.

JMO

Yeah, maybe. But IF he usually shot with his right hand, it seems odd he'd kill himself with his left hand even if he was "able" to do it. That doesn't seem like a time to suddenly experiment with being ambidextrous unless his dominant hand was needed for something else or was injured. But all the autopsy report says is his sister said he was right-handed. Plus, the report seems to suggest he didn't shoot himself in the front of the head but on the left side. And while the bullet's trajectory was upward per the report, it didn't "waver" in it's L-R path. So even with a snub-nose, he must have used his left hand. But IF he was right-handed, why not shoot himself in the right side of his head?

I'm betting Cassie had no idea about his preferred shooting hand and it's probably not a big deal because people don't always shoot with their dominant hand. But the way the report is written, it invites speculation IMO.
Yes, I agree about the speculation point. There must be something else that is not in the report that indicates that it was usual for him to shoot with his left hand. I did a quick google search for self inflicted gun shot wounds and report do day it is 'usually' with the dominant hand. I'd like to research more thoroughly and read the entire reports, but 1, I don't have time and 2, you have to subcribe to read them.

Local news station here. Posted: Feb 25, 2022

Brian Laundrie autopsy: questions remain

snip
Jennifer Coffindaffer, who served 25 years in the FBI, was brief when asked if she had ever seen a case like the Laundrie-Petito saga.

“No,” she said.

Most startling to Coffindaffer was the determination that Laundrie shot himself in the left side of his head, despite indications in the autopsy he “was right hand dominant.”

Local news station here. Posted: Feb 25, 2022

Brian Laundrie autopsy: questions remain

snip
Jennifer Coffindaffer, who served 25 years in the FBI, was brief when asked if she had ever seen a case like the Laundrie-Petito saga.

“No,” she said.

Most startling to Coffindaffer was the determination that Laundrie shot himself in the left side of his head, despite indications in the autopsy he “was right hand dominant.”

Honestly, so many things in the various written LE reports we've seen are quite odd IMO.

As previously discussed on WS and as mentioned in the link in the quoted post, making a point of saying BL was right-handed in a report that concluded he died by suicide with a shot to his left temple was pretty weird without providing more info. Obviously most people who shoot themselves use their dominant hand to do it. We already knew that without the "professional" input of a retired FBI agent. Most people who shoot targets, shoot rabbits, shoot deer, or shoot a gun with blanks to start a footrace use their dominant hands too. But when there is eye-hand cross-dominance, clearly that's a different matter. And eye-hand dominance mismatch is not at all rare but "most" people don't have it. Supposedly it occurs with about 30% of people. I said earlier I have it and some others on WS said they did too. (Kind of odd to me the retired agent didn't mention that or that the reporter didn't ask.)

It's odd the FBI report said BL's notebook said he "claimed responsibility" (a quote) for G's death as that left wiggle room. Why not say something like he "confessed to killing her?" The above link uses that language but notably (to me) the FBI did not. I won't speculate further for fear of violating WS rules but it WAS very odd language. And it's not like the FBI didn't have time to choose words carefully for the report

And what's with the stuff about finding a "half-note?" Who uses that kind of language? Clearly it wasn't half a bank note. Of course there will be curiosity about what the note actually said. That can't be helped. But why add to it??? Some have suggested it was a half-sheet of paper. Makes as much sense as anything else I guess. But who cares? We aren't told anything about the size of the photos or the size of the wooden box or even the size of the notebook so why does it matter the note was "half-sized" if that's what was meant? Just odd.

JMO

Honestly, so many things in the various written LE reports we've seen are quite odd IMO.

As previously discussed on WS and as mentioned in the link in the quoted post, making a point of saying BL was right-handed in a report that concluded he died by suicide with a shot to his left temple was pretty weird without providing more info. Obviously most people who shoot themselves use their dominant hand to do it. We already knew that without the "professional" input of a retired FBI agent. Most people who shoot targets, shoot rabbits, shoot deer, or shoot a gun with blanks to start a footrace use their dominant hands too. But when there is eye-hand cross-dominance, clearly that's a different matter. And eye-hand dominance mismatch is not at all rare but "most" people don't have it. Supposedly it occurs with about 30% of people. I said earlier I have it and some others on WS said they did too. (Kind of odd to me the retired agent didn't mention that or that the reporter didn't ask.)

It's odd the FBI report said BL's notebook said he "claimed responsibility" (a quote) for G's death as that left wiggle room. Why not say something like he "confessed to killing her?" The above link uses that language but notably (to me) the FBI did not. I won't speculate further for fear of violating WS rules but it WAS very odd language. And it's not like the FBI didn't have time to choose words carefully for the report

And what's with the stuff about finding a "half-note?" Who uses that kind of language? Clearly it wasn't half a bank note. Of course there will be curiosity about what the note actually said. That can't be helped. But why add to it??? Some have suggested it was a half-sheet of paper. Makes as much sense as anything else I guess. But who cares? We aren't told anything about the size of the photos or the size of the wooden box or even the size of the notebook so why does it matter the note was "half-sized" if that's what was meant? Just odd.

JMO

Perhaps half of the note was left with Gabby? I agree though, why mention that and then give no further details? I understand that the note could upset both families if released so it is kept private.

If anyone shot BL, nobody is going to go digging too deep into that theory because there is already so much emotional pain around this situation. The parents knew he was not "just camping" or they would have alerted the authorities much earlier than they did.

Like Epstein, I think BL met a fitting fate, and it doesn't much matter whose hand did the deed.

The parents knew he was not "just camping" or they would have alerted the authorities much earlier than they did.

Like Epstein, I think BL met a fitting fate, and it doesn't much matter whose hand did the deed.
Snipped by me.

Do tell, how do you know the Laundries "knew" Brian was not just camping?

:eek: Of course it matters! The justice system is seriously flawed, but it's there for a reason. Those reasons shouldn't need to be explained in this day and age.

Perhaps half of the note was left with Gabby? I agree though, why mention that and then give no further details? I understand that the note could upset both families if released so it is kept private.

If anyone shot BL, nobody is going to go digging too deep into that theory because there is already so much emotional pain around this situation. The parents knew he was not "just camping" or they would have alerted the authorities much earlier than they did.

I can understand your feelings about BL. But as a society I think it's dangerous to overlook executions carried out by private citizens simply because we think we know the dead person "deserved it." While I'm a strong believer in life sentences really meaning life, I'm not at all sure we should even have a death penalty. But if we do have it, IMO it needs to be administered after a fair trial, not used instead of a trial. And if there is evidence someone killed BL, the emotional pain an investigation might cause is sad but essentially irrelevant. Killing somebody is a crime against society not just a crime against a particular victim so surviving family members don't get to decide what is and what isn't investigated. They may get to speak in court, and a prosecutor may solicit their input on some issues, but they aren't running the show. Some families do seem to forget that sometimes.

I think BL killed himself. I said that in posts in Sept when so many people claimed he was on the Appalachian Trail. I think he likely shot left-handed because of cross dominance. But I can't know that.

I think too many former/retired/ex FBI agents have speculated publicly in this case without any evidence. Most have been pretty much uniformly wrong-- no, BL wasn't in Mexico or on the AT, SB wasn't hiding him and in contact with him in Oct, the L's weren't sending him money to stay in hiding, and the L's weren't charged criminally in 2021 as one ex-agent confidently predicted would happen. But a final report that says a person who is right-handed shot himself in left temple? That invites speculation. I suspect LE does have reasons to believe BL did it himself (reasons beyond Occam's razor) but for whatever reason, didn't share them. That's unfortunate.
JMO

I can understand your feelings about BL. But as a society I think it's dangerous to overlook executions carried out by private citizens simply because we think we know the dead person "deserved it." While I'm a strong believer in life sentences really meaning life, I'm not at all sure we should even have a death penalty. But if we do have it, IMO it needs to be administered after a fair trial, not used instead of a trial. And if there is evidence someone killed BL, the emotional pain an investigation might cause is sad but essentially irrelevant. Killing somebody is a crime against society not just a crime against a particular victim so surviving family members don't get to decide what is and what isn't investigated. They may get to speak in court, and a prosecutor may solicit their input on some issues, but they aren't running the show. Some families do seem to forget that sometimes.

I think BL killed himself. I said that in posts in Sept when so many people claimed he was on the Appalachian Trail. I think he likely shot left-handed because of cross dominance. But I can't know that.

I think too many former/retired/ex FBI agents have speculated publicly in this case without any evidence. Most have been pretty much uniformly wrong-- no, BL wasn't in Mexico or on the AT, SB wasn't hiding him and in contact with him in Oct, the L's weren't sending him money to stay in hiding, and the L's weren't charged criminally in 2021 as one ex-agent confidently predicted would happen. But a final report that says a person who is right-handed shot himself in left temple? That invites speculation. I suspect LE does have reasons to believe BL did it himself (reasons beyond Occam's razor) but for whatever reason, didn't share them. That's unfortunate.
JMO
I agree with your post. Like others, I have cross-eye dominance and shoot with my non-dominant hand for accuracy. It's surprisingly not as awkward as many might think, but I must admit, I think I would use my dominant hand if I was putting the gun to my own head. That said, there's no way for me to determine what BL was thinking during those final moments.

It is one of the reasons I keep wondering if he was doing something else with his right hand. He had a notebook and "half-note" (whatever that might mean) inside his dry bag. Had he written everything he was going to write before he left home? Because what isn't mentioned in the autopsy report is a pen, pencil, or any other tool for writing. It could have simply been lost, because he didn't put it back in the dry bag with the other items, or he maybe never had a writing tool to begin with. But mixing the lack of pen with the "half-note" comment still makes me wonder if there was a second half of the note, which he was writing on with his right hand, and the pen and paper got washed away with the rain and rising water. IDK...

We don't know anything about what was written in that notebook other than that the FBI said he claimed responsibility for GP's death. If he had only a few very personal items along, claimed responsibility, wrote a suicide note, had a gunshot wound to the head, and recoil evidence to the left hand bones, maybe there just isn't any reason to question it as a suicide.

But if the ME and forensic anthropologist were wrong and there was reason to think his death was by murder, I would want to see his killer prosecuted, for all the reasons you stated. I just don't think anyone else was in that swamp with BL when the trigger was pulled...jmo.

I agree with your post. Like others, I have cross-eye dominance and shoot with my non-dominant hand for accuracy. It's surprisingly not as awkward as many might think, but I must admit, I think I would use my dominant hand if I was putting the gun to my own head. That said, there's no way for me to determine what BL was thinking during those final moments.

It is one of the reasons I keep wondering if he was doing something else with his right hand. He had a notebook and "half-note" (whatever that might mean) inside his dry bag. Had he written everything he was going to write before he left home? Because what isn't mentioned in the autopsy report is a pen, pencil, or any other tool for writing. It could have simply been lost, because he didn't put it back in the dry bag with the other items, or he maybe never had a writing tool to begin with. But mixing the lack of pen with the "half-note" comment still makes me wonder if there was a second half of the note, which he was writing on with his right hand, and the pen and paper got washed away with the rain and rising water. IDK...

We don't know anything about what was written in that notebook other than that the FBI said he claimed responsibility for GP's death. If he had only a few very personal items along, claimed responsibility, wrote a suicide note, had a gunshot wound to the head, and recoil evidence to the left hand bones, maybe there just isn't any reason to question it as a suicide.

But if the ME and forensic anthropologist were wrong and there was reason to think his death was by murder, I would want to see his killer prosecuted, for all the reasons you stated. I just don't think anyone else was in that swamp with BL when the trigger was pulled...jmo.
The same thought crossed my mind too, that maybe he was holding something in his right hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
euvin3582