Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this so fascinating. It’s a great reminder that our perspectives on these cases is very much informed by our own culture, family, background etc. I have never even seen a gun in real life and would feel very uncomfortable if I was in a house with 8 of them! That doesn’t make on of us bad and the other good. Or one right or wrong. It’s just different. And the family having 8 guns is probably completely irrelevant

You are probably right. lol

Here, if you come from a big family that has owned guns for a couple of generations, they are always around. You end up with a few of them even if you don't want them. I remember one funeral where my aunt was handing out my uncle's guns as presents to remember him by. :D Daddy had one gun he used just for shooting mistletoe out of trees at Christmas.

This is getting more and more interesting. According to this quote...apparently days after BL left for his hike, his parents finally checked their guns and discovered one was missing and THEN they notified police that BL was missing "immediately." This means they found the gun missing Friday and then immediately notified police. So, although BL had been gone since Monday, they only discovered the missing gun on Friday...Hmmm...

Meanwhile we have SB saying he told the FBI that BL didn't come back from his hike on Monday and the NP police were constantly watching the Laundrie house since Sunday thinking BL was in there.

…and so the plot thickens. IMO

Also stated:

Bertolino says law enforcement felt it was best not to reveal the gun was MIA. He also says Brian's parents "were shocked the gun was missing and they were upset."

Brian Laundrie's Parents Discovered Missing Gun But Never Made Public

And this:

We asked if there were any weapons found in the area throughout the search for Brian Laundrie:
TAYLOR: I think there’s more evidence that has certainly been collected and the revealing of that evidence will happen at the proper time.

NPPD's Josh Taylor speaks one-on-one about the discovery of Brian Laundrie's remains
Excellent information. Thank you!

Here's a little something --
I've been away from this case for a couple of days, and missed a couple of entire threads, so forgive if this is old news.
----------------------------------
Former FBI agent: Brian Laundrie’s family could face charges
by: Edited by Sean Noone, Nexstar Media Wire
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 / 12:33 PM CST / Updated: Nov 27, 2021 / 12:33 PM CST
(NewsNation Now) –
[...]
But some legal experts are saying that even though Laundrie was the lone suspect in Gabby Petito’s death, it’s possible other people could be charged in the case.
A lawyer for the family of Gabby Petito also suggested possible charges for “additional individuals” in a statement shared earlier this week.
[...]
Retired FBI agent Jennifer Coffindaffer believes it’s a possibility that Laundrie’s parents, Chris and Roberta, could face charges.
“I think the Laundries have possible culpability under 18 U.S.C. 3, which is accessory after the fact, and possibly 18 U.S.C. 1519, which is obstruction in terms of, if they tampered with any evidence after that crime was committed,” Coffindaffer said during a segment on NewsNation’s “Banfield.”
[...]
“I think they might be in trouble with respect to aiding and abetting Brian Laundrie evading detection, running away from the police,”
[Forensic scientist Larry] Koblinsky said on “Banfield.”
“Somebody may have been helping him, most likely the parents, or it could have been somebody else that we don’t even know about,” Koblinksy said. “But again, the likelihood is that [Brian Laundrie] didn’t do this alone. He may have had assistance. And whoever did help him can be penalized, can suffer legal consequences for aiding and abetting his escape.”

----------------------------------
More here:
Former FBI agent: Brian Laundrie’s family could face charges – WKRG News 5

I can’t believe it took from September 11 to Thanksgiving to cool this frantic case. 84 threads and I was riveted from thread 1. How many dozens of hours I spent reading and sleuthing this mystifying situation.

What shocks me is to find out that Brian likely killed himself within 12 hours of me finding out about this case.

That crazy headline from Sept 12 about a young woman missing and her fiancé returned home from their road trip ALONE. Brian likely heard about the 9/11 press conference and saw the same 9/12 headlines and knew that people like me were starting to think about Gabby. So he slipped away to kill himself mere hours later.

Yet we spent weeks howling about the parents hiding him, letting him escape, the Bethune tapes, Moab tapes, press conferences, tweets, conspiracies, parents leaving secret notes in libraries, Appalachian trail, bounty hunters, on and on and on.

And he had killed himself way back on the first day.

And his parents were acting weird because within days they realized their only son had killed himself. And then realized that he had been completely lying to them and had actually murdered Gabby!

they treated the petito family very very poorly but it’s hard not to feel sorry for the laundries and their bumbling ways. They were chewed up and spit out by an insane frenzy of international judgment.

Speculation, for sure.

I'm not sure when Larry Koblinsky
was interviewed but if it was done recently, it sounds like he's not kept up with the facts. From the above link: "Somebody may have been helping him, most likely the parents, or it could have been somebody else that we don’t even know about,” Koblinsky said. “But again, the likelihood is that [Brian Laundrie] didn’t do this alone. He may have had assistance. And whoever did help him can be penalized, can suffer legal consequences for aiding and abetting his escape.”

Honestly, I think it's pretty easy to imagine BL was perfectly capable of taking his gun, getting in the car, and driving to the park 5 miles away by himself. I know we don't have a date of death, but Koblinsky implied B was on the run and getting help for weeks after he left the Laundries house. That seems pretty unlikely given the condition and location of his remains.

And the other ex-FBI "expert," Jennifer Coffindaffer, said as late as early Oct BL was alive and communicating with his parents through SB. She also thought BL would be found alive but it would take time.

Brian secretly communicating with parents through lawyer, says ex-FBI agent

To clarify here about the missing pistol. According to the article I linked previously, the Laundrie parents could not identify the make or model of the. missing pistol. When people buy a gun, they usually know the make and model of the gun they are buying because they shopped for that specific make and model. Also, make and model are listed on the bill of sale. Usually a gun buyer keeps the bill of sale for the gun as proof of ownership (if they bought the gun legally) and in case they wish to legally sell the gun in the future because if it was imported, they also need the name of the importer and the serial number. This information is required if you sell a gun for ATF form 4473. The Laundrie parents didn't have this information about the missing gun which is why IMO this was a weapon that BL bought and owned. IMO, the Laundries also knew about the location of the gun case for the pistol inside their home and were able to locate and produce the gun case. IMO, that's why we saw the police with an empty gun case, search through the Mustang on the night BL was reported missing.

It might be that Brian bought the gun, but the fact his parents didn't know the make or model tells me they're not average "gun people."

I'm not a gun collector either, but I know the make and model of the guns we own. We don't keep records of purchases, however, and if we sell a gun privately there's no need to fill out a Form 4473--that's for FFL sellers.

I guess I could see if someone inherited a gun that they might not know the make and model, so maybe that's the case here, but I think it's more likely what you said--that it was Brian's gun. Or, maybe a gun he bought as a gift for his parents?

I know Brian talked with SB on the 12th and 13th of September, but when was SB first made aware that the family would need his services?

I recall this being spoken about many threads ago but I can't find the info now. I tried to google it, but there were just too many articles to sift through.

I know Brian talked with SB on the 12th and 13th of September, but when was SB first made aware that the family would need his services?

I recall this being spoken about many threads ago but I can't find the info now. I tried to google it, but there were just too many articles to sift through.
I believe it was the Banfield interview where SB said the Ls first called him around 11:30 pm on Sept 11th. I don't have a timestamp.

Why all the secrecy, I wonder. Owning 8+ guns seems a little curious too consider the circumstances. IMO

I know they are mourning a son. But the parents’ lawyer claimed Brian left “grieving.” Which was corrected Brian left “distraught,” I believe- or some synonym that is not conventionally used for a loved deceased person most of the time- as is ‘grieving.’

IMJO (J is for judging), a household with any number of guns should immediately look for them if someone who could get to them is upset.

Also, I call BS (IMO) on the lawyers spin that he told the FBI about where his client was with any intention for saving his life. The FBI does not take reports of missing adults as the subjects of missing person investigations, which is very different from, “Your witness/my client doesn’t have anything helpful to say to you. Besides, his parents and I don’t even know where he is.” The FBI probably did ask the local police to help them find their witness, now a fugitive, not a missing person, because, again, the FBI does not initiate missing adult cases. The local police thought they had found Brian. But SB was full of BS when he said he was reported missing.

From what I can see, it appears that the Laundries just went on with their gardening and displays of antipathy for those worried about justice for who was recently their daughter-in-law, while their son was very upset and missing from an all-American more-guns-than -people home- and they not only did not report him missing and in danger. (This could have been done with some empathy by simply stating that LE thinks he had some information about Gabby, even if they reasonably, from a legal strategy perspective, hoped Brian learned not to talk to anyone but the lawyer by then.)

If I were Brian’s parent, I would not want him to get acquitted unless he had not killed Gabby. But I would have wanted him to get the best possible legal outcome fair for the facts. I would have pushed for as much treatment as he needed. I would have kept his commissary account filled, and he would develop a taste for Knotts cookies and ramen noodles (at outrageous mark-ups). But I would rather he be found alive even if he did blab everything that should have been discussed with his lawyer to LE, the ambulance driver, several treating psych personnel, then LE and the jailhouse snitch. He would be alive.

I just don’t get it. I was disgusted enough by what looked IMO to be utter disregard for Gabby and her family, and I don’t buy that they had to choose between incriminating their son and showing some concern for Gabby, and defending their son showing contempt for Gabby. It was possible to vigorously defend their son and show concern for Gabby.

I ....... can’t.....get it. IMO Brian’s parents managed to leave me feeling sorry for him! And I guess because he deserves some compassion, but one would think it would be all used up on so many others. It appears he murdered someone, who did not hurt him, but merely failed to cater to him enough, and failed to realize it was impossible to cater to him enough. The murder occurred in a most violent, personal and deliberate way.

RIP Gabby. I feel all of Gabby’s loved ones; I feel Cassie and her family. And I feel Brian, because he could have lived and been accountable. I can’t imagine losing a child, so I feel awful for Brian’s parents, but I do not understand how they let him go, and didn’t even count the guns.

MOO.

Last edited:
I've read that LE is/was studying the Laundries digital footprint to try and discover exactly what they knew and when they knew it. How does LE handle texts and records dealing with attorney-client privilege? Are they just not able to use them in court or base search warrants on them etc...?

I've been waiting to see another mention of the floods to bring up what's been on my mind for awhile. So were there or weren't there multiple pieces of the skull found, or just the jaw piece we initially heard about? If the ruling [of suicide] was made based on the trajectory etc of a bullet, how did they come to that conclusion using only a portion of the jaw. If the gun, or any other evidence for that matter, floated away as been assumed, then why wouldn't the rest of the skull float away too? I apologize if this wording is confusing, I'm fried. Moo Jmo

I think it's very possible that the heavier parts of the remains, along with the gun, did not move far from the place of death, while the lighter weight parts, including the pieces reported found, did move once the water rose and then receded. (I know the skull is usually a heavy body part, but once it's broken into pieces, I assume much less so.)

We don't know whether the gun has been found or not, but I do wonder about the rest of the skeleton -- didn't they open the reserve back up to the public just a day or two following the finding of the skull pieces? That sort of suggests they don't think there is the rest of a body there waiting to be found. Nor a gun. But wouldn't it have been reported if more body parts were found? MOO

so the NP and FBI did not inform us of the missing gun. with that in mind it's not a difficult jump for me to conclude they may be doing the same thing with whatever they recovered at the swamp site. i'd like to know if they recovered a cellular device. if they did then probably LE could recover any calls or data activity. that could show that BL was in contact with mom and/or dad. that bag dad found might have been some type of handoff bag cause dad knew where it was. all my opinion and speculation. but i tend to think that LE has some evidence of something or they would have wrapped it up by now.

It might be that Brian bought the gun, but the fact his parents didn't know the make or model tells me they're not average "gun people."

I'm not a gun collector either, but I know the make and model of the guns we own. We don't keep records of purchases, however, and if we sell a gun privately there's no need to fill out a Form 4473--that's for FFL sellers.

I guess I could see if someone inherited a gun that they might not know the make and model, so maybe that's the case here, but I think it's more likely what you said--that it was Brian's gun. Or, maybe a gun he bought as a gift for his parents?

I wonder if BL and Gabby took a gun with them for protection against snakes and such. It wouldn't surprise me it they did. Perhaps BL did buy a handgun for the trip, or he could've taken one from his home before they left. JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member