Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her body was on the other side of the creek from where the van was parked.
Measured in Google Earth, the locations of the van & her body are approx. 287 yards apart.
The ground between is rocky creek, water flow in some places, others spots, not.

Well that aerial Google Map certainly gave me a better picture or...tells me a better story of what I speculate. The crime scene canopy looks not far, but a good distance from where they found her. Combined with the pictures, I fully believe he attacked her where the canopy pin is. Then I think she ran and he caught up with her JMO

Or it happened where the crime scene pin is and he drug her into the woods more, also JMO.

For those of you who believe BL committed suicide.
He had 2300 miles between the crime scene and North Port where he could have pulled off the road and done himself in.
He stole her life, her credit cards, her money, her van, returned home, mowed the lawn, took walks, worked in the garage with his father, went on a camping trip, participated in a smoresfest, then disappeared into hiding.
The Petitos were awash in tears waiting for their daughter to be found. BL's dad was seen grinning it up with an FBI agent during a faux hunt.
Nah. Brian's holed up in a safe house with all the granola bars he can ingest watching all the firestorm he's created on a big screen.
...and nobody around to tell him to wash up.
MOOing.
It's just SURREAL.
All of it.

For those of you who believe BL committed suicide.
He had 2300 miles between the crime scene and North Port where he could have pulled off the road and done himself in.
He stole her life, her credit cards, her money, her van, returned home, mowed the lawn, took walks, worked in the garage with his father, went on a camping trip, participated in a smoresfest, then disappeared into hiding.
The Petitos were awash in tears waiting for their daughter to be found. BL's dad was seen grinning it up with an FBI agent during a faux hunt.
Nah. Brian's holed up in a safe house with all the granola bars he can ingest watching all the firestorm he's created on a big screen.
...and nobody around to tell him to wash up.
MOOing.
I see what you're getting at. The counterpoint to that is the heat wasn't on him yet, at least in regards to law enforcement bearing down on him. Things eventually changed, and off he went.

At this point neither outcome would surprise me.

Who wants to talk about GP's time in Salt Lake City?

A week is a long time to spend in an airport hotel. She must have gotten out and done some things on her own that week.

In looking at the photos of her in front of the Butterfly Wall, she's dressed really really differently from the rest of her trip. She doesn't look like she's been camping, or like she's on the way to an overnight in a van in Grand Teton. She looks like someone who's enjoying being a little bit girly for the day.

She looks like someone who spent the night in a clean hotel, took a nice long shower, and had a chance to style her hair. Login • Instagram

There's a commuter train from Salt Lake City to Ogden, called FrontRunner. It leaves every 30-60 minutes, depending on the time of day, and costs about $13 round trip. The trip takes under an hour.

https://www.rideuta.com/Rider-Tools/Schedules-and-Maps/750-FrontRunner

What if she went there while Brian was away? Who took the photos? Did she have plans to meet up with someone she knew? Would that potentially be a source of conflict?

Sure all of that is possible, but at this point the one person that could shed any light at this point is on the run or dead. Pretty sure the FBI has the DNA connections if any existed so at this point they don't seem to have any other suspects imo.

I was just watching the Websleuths livestream on YT, with guest Joseph Morgan (investigator w a Coroner Office). He explained a very interesting thing. He was talking about DNA samples from nails, & the difference between everyday DNA from partners & DNA under the nail from an attack.

He said DNA from a fight under the fingernails is often just more than the dermis layer (upper layer of the person's skin), which is what you would find from living together. He said that, from a violent attack, the kind of scrapes the person causes & thereby the DNA they collect under their nails can go down into the epidermis or even the fat layer of skin.

My comment, JMO: dermis, epidermis, fat layer etc are actually differently structured, & can be determined through microscopic analysis (histology).
You have educated me and I appreciate it. Thank you.

news to me. got a link?

The only thing on this topic (polygraph for Laundries) that I remember is this conversation but there might be somewhere this is confirmed.

NewsNationNow: Why do you think the police brought in Christopher Laundrie [to help search for Brian] now rather than three weeks ago?

Coffindaffer: Well, I believe there’s always been an open invitation for the Laundries to cooperate. And in fact, I’m sure the FBI (officials) have invited him out there in the past, have offered for them to take a polygraph to exonerate any involvement in this situation...

Why didn't Brian Laundrie's father help search for his son sooner? NewsNation answers your questions

He tried to wipe every trace of her off the map! Where is her stuff? Journals? Clothes? Mementos? If her family has gotten them back, they haven't said so. jmo
I'm REALLY hoping Gabby kept a journal or some kind of documentation off their arguments. Wish we knew if her personal items/electronics were returned.

Was this just recently? Because there are showers at Colter Bay. I have used them. They close in September some time, but they should have been available when BL was there.

From the National Park Service website Eating & Sleeping - Grand Teton National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Public Showers
Public shower facilities are available at Colter Bay, Signal Mountain, and Headwaters at Flagg Ranch.
IMO that’s why BL went there: to take a shower. He needed either to wash away signs of the crime or fantasize that he could wash away his guilt. Maybe both. The alibi hitchhike may have been a fortuitous thing.
How did he get to Colter Bay, though? A different hitchhike?

Sure all of that is possible, but at this point the one person that could shed any light at this point is on the run or dead. Pretty sure the FBI has the DNA connections if any existed so at this point they don't seem to have any other suspects imo.
I'm not talking about other suspects. I'm talking about motive.

I'm wondering about the circumstances that led up to Gabby's death. I've known a few abusers in my life and the overarching theme of these guys was always maintaining an image for their friends. It was very important to them that their friends couldn't envision the physical harm they rained down on their SO. Most of the violence was in the home not in public. But walls have ears and victims sometimes spill their guts to close friends.

In the case of BL, he'd already experienced what a concerned citizen could do by calling 911 putting him on display and having to explain the circumstances of his actions. But lo and behold, he met some bros who commiserated with him and he was laughing and joking with them while Gabby sat in the police car mentally exhausted, physically harmed and emotionally spent. She actually took the load off him.

But one thing Gabby was, was driven. She was focused on her dream to create a video blog of their travels. And nothing was going to stop her. After the second dustup in the restaurant, where BL lost his cool in front of many people, I'm sure the last place he wanted to be was back in an environment where he may have been recognized as the jerk who had a tantrum. It's kind of difficult to rehabilitate your image when you already have a couple of public displays of anger.

I can just imagine the conversations they may have had the night Gabby was killed. She was bound and determined to continue and he was trying his best to undermine her plans. Probably at some time, she may have issued an ultimatum: if you don't want to continue, fine, but I'm going to finish this trip with you or without you. Words flew, anger increased, threats were made. Maybe even Gabby saying, 'oh, no this van is mine. If you want to go back to Florida it won't be in the van.' She gets up to leave he stops her she struggles and he does what he always has. He just want her to shut up. She never shuts up. Now she's lying on the ground and he sits there crying. So full of remorse. 'I'm sorry Gabby. Why can't you just shut up'. He stays sorry until he realizes he's sitting beside a dead girl. A terrible accident. Just an accident. I can explain. Mom, dad, I can explain. He takes her phone, the keys and her credit cards. He never touches her again. He breaks camp and is gone before first light.

IMO that’s why BL went there: to take a shower. He needed either to wash away signs of the crime or fantasize that he could wash away his guilt. Maybe both. The alibi hitchhike may have been a fortuitous thing.
How did he get to Colter Bay, though? A different hitchhike?
I posted a hiking route yesterday or the day before that could have gotten him there entirely on foot. 17 miles, 300-400 feet of elevation gain (in other words not much). Just a short section of road, otherwise an old wagon route. Someone fit like him could do it in about 6 hours. The route goes right from the end of the road into Colter Bay Village.

Bridger-Teton National Forest is on the east boundary - just outside of the Grant Teton National Park limits.

No, there is no overlap. National Parks are one thing and National Forests are another.

They're both federal, but they're not even under the same Executive Branch agency -- Parks are under Dept. of Interior, while Forests are under Dept. of Agriculture.

The particular National Park (Grand Tetons) and National Forest (Bridger-Teton) being discussed happen to be immediately adjacent to each other, and the border between the two is very near where her body was found.

Thank you both for clarifying that for me. I still think that in the end the analysis is the same; both are federal.

Yes they were asked. Yes, they declined.
I don't recall them being asked (although I tend to think they were) but according to this article their attorney did say they will not take one. MOO

Oct. 12, 2021 Gabby Petito's autopsy report (cnn.com)
Laundrie's father has participated in a search of the nature reserve for him, but he has no plans to assist in police searches, and the couple will not take a polygraph test, Bertolino said.

Oh yes, I posted a screenshot for you but it probably got lost. That was posted on 9/28.
Oh yes, I recall the followup discussion of bologna vs boloney. So, on the 10th and 11th (if overnights) or 11th/12th (if day trips), they went somewhere and told the FBI. Sure!!! Why so secretive? Planning for the Great Escape. Sorry, Laundries, not buying it. Wonder if neighbors have any recollection if the camper was moved twice in less than a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13