Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guilty as sin, and that most likely is true, but I'm still having a hard time understanding this though:
Makeshift cross found in area where crews searched for Gabby Petito
What's that for? Did they ever find out who made that, or if BL went back and left those near GP's remains?
...and now there's speculation someone else was possibly involved with GP's murder?

LE hiding more than merely why L's didn't disclose missing gun (if they didn't disclose it).

Everything above is my opinion and speculation. Thinking out loud.

EDIT: who put the cross there

I don't think we know who placed the large cross shown in the article you linked. Gabby's stepfather did make a smaller stone cross but that's not what's shown in the article. You can tell it's not the same cross by counting the stones and looking at the color and shape of the stones. The terrain is different too. The one JS made is shown here:

Gabby Petito's stepfather lays a stone cross at spot where her remains were found

At one time it was reported searchers made the large cross but that was later denied. (And I kind of doubt the FBI is in the habit of doing things like that.) Plus it had obviously been there awhile because of the way the dirt is built up around the stones. Most likely it had nothing to do with GP (although seeing it may have inspired JS to place his cross.)

JMO

Last edited:
Guilty as sin, and that most likely is true, but I'm still having a hard time understanding this though:
Makeshift cross found in area where crews searched for Gabby Petito
What's that for? Did they ever find out who made that, or if BL went back and left those near GP's remains?
...and now there's speculation someone else was possibly involved with GP's murder?

LE hiding more than merely why L's didn't disclose missing gun (if they didn't disclose it).

Everything above is my opinion and speculation. Thinking out loud.

EDIT: who put the cross there
There is no speculation someone else was involved....And Gabby's stepdad made the cross. Gabby Petito's Stepfather Reveals He Created Memorial Of Stones Found In Shape Of Cross Where 22-Year-Old's Body Was Discovered

They point out nobody was ever charged in connection with Petito’s murder.

“They’re going to try to figure out more details about what happened and if anyone else was involved,” Aronberg said. “The last thing they want is for some accomplice to go free.”

Two local experts intrigued by what's not in Brian Laundrie's autopsy report

Sure sounds like speculation to me,
Tho not from anyone who will have an effect on his case.
IMO

Brian Laundrie's family hid the fact that he may have been armed because they didn't want the 'public going into a frenzy,' lawyer says

Steven Bertolino, an attorney for the Laundrie family, told Insider' Natalie Musumeci on Tuesday that on the same day Laundrie was reported missing — September 17 — his parents had also surrendered five or six guns they stored in their home, but one was missing.

It is not clear whether Laundrie took the missing gun, or whether it was the one he used to kill himself.

Bertolino told DailyMail that the family didn't want to disclose this earlier because they didn't want the information to cause panic.

"We didn't want the public going into a frenzy on that," Bertolino told DailyMail.com. "I don't think they considered him dangerous to anybody he met on the street."

ME:
Not dangerous? Depressed carrying around a gun, shooting himself. Should have been known to the public.

Before I lose my $hite, can I take this to mean that the Laundries kept it under wraps that their son was missing along with a gun, while they knew that Gabby was missing and likely not wherever Brian claimed, because they didn’t want the public to over-react?

1) This was their son. If this is true, where was their regard for his life?

2) while I agree that communication to the public should be handled by the LE pros, an missing upset man who is likely in serious trouble, and who might be accompanied by a missing weapon is something the public needs to know.

3) Lawyers do not keep it under wraps when someone might be in danger, do they? Including their own clients? IANAL but... if I am reading/understanding the implications of this correctly, I would love for someone in the know to chime in.

MOO

Before I lose my $hite, can I take this to mean that the Laundries kept it under wraps that their son was missing along with a gun, while they knew that Gabby was missing and likely not wherever Brian claimed, because they didn’t want the public to over-react?

1) This was their son. If this is true, where was their regard for his life?

2) while I agree that communication to the public should be handled by the LE pros, an missing upset man who is likely in serious trouble, and who might be accompanied by a missing weapon is something the public needs to know.

3) Lawyers do not keep it under wraps when someone might be in danger, do they? Including their own clients? IANAL but... if I am reading/understanding the implications of this correctly, I would love for someone in the know to chime in.

MOO

I'd like an attorney to weigh in too.

But I'm pretty sure it would be quite unusual for a person's attorney to issue a public bulletin saying "BOLO for X, my client. Call LE if you see him." Pretty sure that person wouldn't be a practicing attorney for long. Attorneys are charged with protecting their clients' rights and I'm not sure telling the public BL might have been armed and in need of capture would have done that. Given some "incidents" that occurred while B was missing, it could have worse if the public was more involved in searching.

I'm pretty sure if a world-wide public warning or at least a warning to all of North America was to be issued, it was up to LE to do it. (Remember some people swore he was in Mexico or Canada so a US warning wouldn't be enough.) And for whatever reason, LE didn't do it. Perhaps they were sure B couldn't/wouldn't leave the swamp. And they surely didn't want to encourage armed citizens to try to enter the swamp "to help."

I do understand the concern. But there are plenty of armed citizens wandering around every day who are potentially dangerous, citizens LE knows about. And given where B's remains were found (where the L's said he'd go way back in Sept), it's a pretty safe bet he died soon after entering the swamp.
JMO

I'd like an attorney to weigh in too.

But I'm pretty sure it would be quite unusual for a person's attorney to issue a public bulletin saying "BOLO for X, my client. Call LE if you see him." Pretty sure that person wouldn't be a practicing attorney for long. Attorneys are charged with protecting their clients' rights and I'm not sure telling the public BL might have been armed and in need of capture would have done that. Given some "incidents" that occurred while B was missing, it could have worse if the public was more involved in searching.

I'm pretty sure if a world-wide public warning or at least a warning to all of North America was to be issued, it was up to LE to do it. (Remember some people swore he was in Mexico or Canada so a US warning wouldn't be enough.) And for whatever reason, LE didn't do it. Perhaps they were sure B couldn't/wouldn't leave the swamp. And they surely didn't want to encourage armed citizens to try to enter the swamp "to help."

I do understand the concern. But there are plenty of armed citizens wandering around every day who are potentially dangerous, citizens LE knows about. And given where B's remains were found (where the L's said he'd go way back in Sept), it's a pretty safe bet he died soon after entering the swamp.
JMO

How about, “BOLO for X, my client, who may be in danger. He also might have information about another missing person according to LE. Call LE if you have any information about X’s whereabouts. X will not make a statement to LE until he is found and accompanied by his lawyer.”?

How about, “BOLO for X, my client, who may be in danger. He also might have information about another missing person according to LE. Call LE if you have any information about X’s whereabouts. X will not make a statement to LE until he is found and accompanied by his lawyer.”?

Well, we'd need to hear from an attorney to know for sure. But I do know that while an attorney cannot lie to LE, he/she is under absolutely no obligation to turn in a client to LE. And doing so may be a violation of an attorney's professional ethics and could result in the attorney being disbarred.

LE easily could have made announcement but chose not to. So it would seem LE didn't want that sort of announcement made. And I can't recall ever seeing a similar announcement made by an attorney under these sorts of circumstances (person missing is an adult, person missing is not suffering from dementia or other medical problem of that sort, person didn't escape from jail or a mental hospital, person merely left home)

And after all, at the time B "went missing" he wasn't wanted for any charges. Just wanted for questioning and he was not legally required to submit to questioning. Hindsight is dandy but we don't know what was known about his mental state. Even psychologists and psychiatrists have trouble accurately predicting suicide. So we can't expect parents and an attorney to be able to do it.

In the nearly 2 1/2 months since BL entered the swamp, certainly hundreds, if not thousands, OF potentially dangerous people have come to the attention of LE in the US. In very few cases have any sort of public announcements been made. By anybody. The idea that a random citizen might have a gun or a knife isn't a surprising fact to most of us nor something that needs announcing except in extreme cases (like a jail/prison break in a particular locality)
JMO

Attachments

• BLsearch.pdf
    269.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we'd need to hear from an attorney to know for sure. But I do know that while an attorney cannot lie to LE, he/she is under absolutely no obligation to turn in a client to LE. And doing so may be a violation of an attorney's professional ethics and could result in the attorney being disbarred.

LE easily could have made announcement but chose not to. So it would seem LE didn't want that sort of announcement made. And I can't recall ever seeing a similar announcement made by an attorney under these sorts of circumstances (person missing is an adult, person missing is not suffering from dementia or other medical problem of that sort, person didn't escape from jail or a mental hospital, person merely left home)

And after all, at the time B "went missing" he wasn't wanted for any charges. Just wanted for questioning and he was not legally required to submit to questioning. Hindsight is dandy but we don't know what was known about his mental state. Even psychologists and psychiatrists have trouble accurately predicting suicide. So we can't expect parents and an attorney to be able to do it.

In the nearly 2 1/2 months since BL entered the swamp, certainly hundreds, if not thousands, OF potentially dangerous people have come to the attention of LE in the US. In very few cases have any sort of public announcements been made. By anybody. The idea that a random citizen might have a gun or a knife isn't a surprising fact to most of us nor something that needs announcing except in extreme cases (like a jail/prison break in a particular locality)
JMO

Let me see if I can help you out some. An attorney does have professional ethics to an extent, but even that extent doesn't reach the public. If SB knew that BL had a gun, and he was a danger to the public or himself, he would tell LE about this. But he did not have to tell the public.

Could he have made a statement regarding BL being missing and that BL may have information for GP when she was missing? Sure he could have, but LE and the media was already saying this, so not sure he needed to - surely, there is no ethical duty to make that statement either.

To clarify here about the missing pistol. According to the article I linked previously, the Laundrie parents could not identify the make or model of the. missing pistol. When people buy a gun, they usually know the make and model of the gun they are buying because they shopped for that specific make and model. Also, make and model are listed on the bill of sale. Usually a gun buyer keeps the bill of sale for the gun as proof of ownership (if they bought the gun legally) and in case they wish to legally sell the gun in the future because if it was imported, they also need the name of the importer and the serial number. This information is required if you sell a gun for ATF form 4473. The Laundrie parents didn't have this information about the missing gun which is why IMO this was a weapon that BL bought and owned. IMO, the Laundries also knew about the location of the gun case for the pistol inside their home and were able to locate and produce the gun case. IMO, that's why we saw the police with an empty gun case, search through the Mustang on the night BL was reported missing.

Let me see if I can help you out some. An attorney does have professional ethics to an extent, but even that extent doesn't reach the public. If SB knew that BL had a gun, and he was a danger to the public or himself, he would tell LE about this. But he did not have to tell the public.

Could he have made a statement regarding BL being missing and that BL may have information for GP when she was missing? Sure he could have, but LE and the media was already saying this, so not sure he needed to - surely, there is no ethical duty to make that statement either.

Thanks. I don't think there's any doubt SB talked to LE. What was being suggested was that SB also had a duty to warn the pubic and I doubted that was true. Further, warning the public could represent a dereliction of his duty to BL. Even psychologists don't have a duty to warn the general public. Most states have held they have a duty to warn specific identifiable 3rd parties who are known to be in potential danger (from the Tarasoff case) but there's no duty to warn the public at large.
JMO

I don't think anything I wrote excludes that. I was pointing to the Daily Mail article which has a lot of problematic assumptions, and the implication that the "stars and stripes" gun on the wall was the "missing gun" when we don't know if that is even an actual gun. What I am saying is there does not seem to be a gun mystery here.

I believe it has been said many times that the photo the Daily Mail used as BL's room was a photo from the real estate listing and may be the room he eventually slept in but the decor belonged to the previous owner.

Yes, I agree. We just don't know. There are so many unanswered questions.

I also think the Laundries realized they could remain silent but could not lie to LE, so I think they told them the truth. That's the benefit of having an attorney as a close friend of the family.

I wonder when the Laundries realized the gun was missing? I'm from down south and most folks, not all, keep their guns in closets or out-of-sight places.
I think the type of gun matters. Hunting guns are out of site in closet or gun safe. I might not notice one is missing. But my handgun is on my hip, in a car holster, or mounted on my bedside. It only gets locked away when we have company. I would notice immediately if it was missing.

I've been looking at the "bedroom gun". And honestly, I don't think it's a gun at all. The paint job is horrible. Why would it be mounted pointing toward the person drawing it? Why no holster? Why so high? And what is the plastic looking thing behind it? I dunno. Not convinced.

I've been looking at the "bedroom gun". And honestly, I don't think it's a gun at all. The paint job is horrible. Why would it be mounted pointing toward the person drawing it? Why no holster? Why so high? And what is the plastic looking thing behind it? I dunno. Not convinced.

Likely not his bedroom according to posters on here who researched it and that is probably a fake gun, A decoration.

To clarify here about the missing pistol. According to the article I linked previously, the Laundrie parents could not identify the make or model of the. missing pistol. When people buy a gun, they usually know the make and model of the gun they are buying because they shopped for that specific make and model. Also, make and model are listed on the bill of sale. Usually a gun buyer keeps the bill of sale for the gun as proof of ownership (if they bought the gun legally) and in case they wish to legally sell the gun in the future because if it was imported, they also need the name of the importer and the serial number. This information is required if you sell a gun for ATF form 4473. The Laundrie parents didn't have this information about the missing gun which is why IMO this was a weapon that BL bought and owned. IMO, the Laundries also knew about the location of the gun case for the pistol inside their home and were able to locate and produce the gun case. IMO, that's why we saw the police with an empty gun case, search through the Mustang on the night BL was reported missing.
I know all that information for my gun. I just asked my mother about hers and she had no clue and no idea how to find out if it came up missing. So I guess it depends on the person.

I know all that information for my gun. I just asked my mother about hers and she had no clue and no idea how to find out if it came up missing. So I guess it depends on the person.

Agree. Some people own guns, but not really for protection or hunting. My Dad inherited most of his by default, so they are just neglected and dusty and hidden away. He probably doesn't even know how many he has, much less the make or model. My brother-in-law has over 20 guns locked up in a huge safe but never carries his pistol. He could easily give you the info on all of them.

Brian Laundrie's family didn't want to set off a public 'frenzy' by revealing gun was missing, attorney says - CNN

Brian Laundrie's parents discovered a handgun was missing when they voluntarily surrendered their firearms to law enforcement the same day they informed authorities that their son was missing...

...when they discovered one handgun was not in its case, Bertolino told CNN Friday. The family immediately consulted law enforcement, he said, including the FBI and North Port, Florida, police.

The clear thing around the gun is a holster. The paint job is typically "rustic" on American Flag decorated pistols which is exactly what the gun in BL's alleged room looks like - so the stripes are of different sizes. Here are some professional examples: NRA 2016: Awesome American Flag Guns by Nevada Cerakote -

People choose clear holsters for these decorated guns to show them off.

The pistol is pointed towards the ceiling in the photo. However it is placed up high for safety so a child (such as BL's sister's little kids) could not reach it without using a ladder or chair. IMO, no gun should be stored like this. It should be in a gun safe, but many people like to show off their guns.

Brian Laundrie's family didn't want to set off a public 'frenzy' by revealing gun was missing, attorney says - CNN

Brian Laundrie's parents discovered a handgun was missing when they voluntarily surrendered their firearms to law enforcement the same day they informed authorities that their son was missing...

...when they discovered one handgun was not in its case, Bertolino told CNN Friday. The family immediately consulted law enforcement, he said, including the FBI and North Port, Florida, police.

This is getting more and more interesting. According to this quote...apparently days after BL left for his hike, his parents finally checked their guns and discovered one was missing and THEN they notified police that BL was missing "immediately." This means they found the gun missing Friday and then immediately notified police. So, although BL had been gone since Monday, they only discovered the missing gun on Friday...Hmmm...

Meanwhile we have SB saying he told the FBI that BL didn't come back from his hike on Monday and the NP police were constantly watching the Laundrie house since Sunday thinking BL was in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand