Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

MEDIA, MAPS thread *NO DISCUSSION*

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Case Players and Initials Reference List

Kick Back and Unwind - Off Topic Side Chat

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread is Open:

Please acknowledge before proceeding

Emotions and frustration are running rampant in the thread and taking it out on others is not permitted. If you need a break, take a break. Continuing to engage in this fashion is not moving the conversation forward.

Of Note:
-Move on from bickering
-Let go of the domestic violence debates
-Stop bringing in mental health

Tip: When you feel most compelled to hit "post" after quickly whipping up that response, see it as a sign you need to step back and re-read what you have written before clicking that button!

STOP HERE FIRST
———————————————
Mod Note:

Welcome to Thread #77.

Websleuths has 100’s of active threads, and nearly 200k members. With only a few volunteer Mods/Admins we need your help in keeping Gabby’s threads relative, civil, and engaging. Following the rules that are clearly outlined below will support the Mod Team and enhance your experience and interactions with fellow Posters.

The Rules:
-Domestic Violence Discussions/Debates are not permitted
-The Moab Stop is no longer open for dissecting (there are 76 threads filled with this info).
-Mental Health is not permitted
-Moab double murders are not permitted unless LE were to change position at some point
-No Bickering (Ignore or “Roll and Scroll”)
-Do not suggest Gabby died by anything other than what the ME has stated (Manual Strangulation)
-Do not Trash Brians parents (You can share opinions or perspectives of events, but rise above the rest. They have not been named POI’s in the case. Stick to what is known / has been reported.)
-Any other rules as outlined in TOS

Tip: Notice if you are posting about the case or about other Posters. Posting about other Posters is off topic. This can show up in the following ways:
-“I don’t know why others……”
-Party X or Party Y “Sympathizers”
-“Some Posters…”
-“Everybody keeps ……”

In a nutshell, be aware of what the intent is behind your post. Is it to bash fellow posters or is it to discuss the case?

Thank you for your help and support!

A Very Tired Mod That Appreciates Each of You,
Tiff

Anyone know if LE ever analyzed Gabby's phone to determine where the last messages came from? It's easy for phone companies to tell what tower a cell phone was connected to. If Gabby sent a message saying 'No service in Yosemite' and the tower was half-way between Utah and Florida, it seems pretty safe to assume it was Brian who sent it. I haven't seen much mention of her cell phone before, so was just curious.

Re the questions concerning cell phone service providers' retention of text message content ~ I found this:

Edited to add: Just realized the date on this article is Sept. 29, 2011. I'm sure this is no longer current. Please disregard!!!

How long do wireless carriers keep your data?
  • Verizon: Keeps records of calls and cell towers used for a year; text message details are retained for up to one year, actual text message content between 3 to 5 days; Internet session information for up to a year, and Web sites visited for up to 90 days.
  • AT&T: Stores call records for between 5 to 7 years; cell tower records since July 2008; text message details for between 5 to 7 years; text message content is not retained; Internet session information and destinations for up to 72 hours.
  • Sprint: Hangs onto call records and cell tower records for between 18 and 24 months. Internet session and destination info for up to 60 days; text message details for up to 18 months, depending on the device; text message content not retained; Internet session info and destination info for up to 60 days.
  • T-Mobile: Retains call record details for 5 years; cell towers used, "officially, 4-6 months, really a year or more;" text message details 5 years; text message content, not kept; Internet session and destination info is not kept.

Last edited:
Anyone know if LE ever analyzed Gabby's phone to determine where the last messages came from? It's easy for phone companies to tell what tower a cell phone was connected to. If Gabby sent a message saying 'No service in Yosemite' and the tower was half-way between Utah and Florida, it seems pretty safe to assume it was Brian who sent it. I haven't seen much mention of her cell phone before, so was just curious.
Yes, I don't know if the FBI finished analyzing the data yet, but they should be able to determine where her phone was when the last message was sent and the location it was in when it was turned off or destroyed.

Did we ever find out whether or not the van has GPS?

Also, the data from Brian's phone, even if it was a tracphone or prepaid phone, might have had some useful information. Imo

I’m curious about what they found on the phones also! Just not so sure they will release what they have anytime soon!

Thanks, Mods!!! Websleuths is the most intelligent and thought provoking true crime site on the internet and we appreciate your hard work in keeping it that way!

In thread #79 a poster mentioned that this case is so crazy that they wouldn’t be surprised if BL is actually still alive. When his body was found my first thought was that he had stumbled upon a dead body in the swamp and, with his parents’ help, used it to fake his death by leading LE to where his “body” was found. Then when dental records confirmed the identity as BL, I dismissed this theory. I’m pretty sure you can’t manipulate dental identification, based on what experts on here have said.

Thanks, Mods!!! Websleuths is the most intelligent and thought provoking true crime site on the internet and we appreciate your hard work in keeping it that way!

In thread #79 a poster mentioned that this case is so crazy that they wouldn’t be surprised if BL is actually still alive. When his body was found my first thought was that he had stumbled upon a dead body in the swamp and, with his parents’ help, used it to fake his death by leading LE to where his “body” was found. Then when dental records confirmed the identity as BL, I dismissed this theory. I’m pretty sure you can’t manipulate dental identification, based on what experts on here have said.

This is so true. If I were to go by what I've seen and read elsewhere in terms of theories on this case, BL dropped his own teeth in the reserve with someone else's body to throw off investigator's. lol.

At least here most posts have logical explanations as opposed to alien's flying down to save BL and dropping him off in another country to live the good life. JMO

Gabby's phone was never found.
FBI has Brian Laundrie's phone but not Gabby Petito's

ETA: They never found Brian's phone that he bought on 9/14 either.

He bought a phone on 9/4, this date was the new date of purchase per SB. On 9/14 BL had left two days earlier for the reserve. He left his new phone and wallet at home.

Edited to change date BL left for reserve. I have the date as a couple of days before the 9/14 phone purchase date. BL left for the reserve per SB and the FBI on Monday 9/13, therefore he wouldn't have made a phone purchase on 9/14. It wasn't a couple of days before the 9/14 date as I posted above, it was one day before on 9/13 that BL left for the hike in the reserve.

Last edited:
This may only be true of the new phone purchase from AT&T on 9/4 and not his original phone during the trip.
In the article above it mentioned they did not have the new phone he purchased and then this article from October 8 clarified that no phones had been found in the van either. There seems to be some confusion over when the new phone was bought. LE states that Brian bought a phone on 9/14 and SB states that it was bought on 9/4. Aside from when it was purchased, the new phone Brian left behind and the FBI has it. But both phones that were used on the trip (Gabby's and Brian's) are missing.
Gabby Petito: Florida police say no phones located in van, no campsite found: LIVE UPDATES

This is so true. If I were to go by what I've seen and read elsewhere in terms of theories on this case, BL dropped his own teeth in the reserve with someone else's body to throw off investigator's. lol.

At least here most posts have logical explanations as opposed to alien's flying down to save BL and dropping him off in another country to live the good life. JMO
But someone would have had to pull out BL’s teeth…That’s not easy to do.

In the article above it mentioned they did not have the new phone he purchased and then this article from October 8 clarified that no phones had been found in the van either. There seems to be some confusion over when the new phone was bought. LE states that Brian bought a phone on 9/14 and SB states that it was bought on 9/4. Aside from when it was purchased, the new phone Brian left behind and the FBI has it. But both phones that were used on the trip (Gabby's and Brian's) are missing.
Gabby Petito: Florida police say no phones located in van, no campsite found: LIVE UPDATES
Even though his trip phone is missing/destroyed, I think that the only calls he would have made were to his parents. Same, if he bought a trac phone in an attempt for anonymity. Hope parents phone records are on FBI's menu. jmo

He bought a phone on 9/4, this date was the new date of purchase per SB. On 9/14 BL had left two days earlier for the reserve. He left his new phone and wallet at home.
There is confusion over that.
MSM articles state that the phone was bought on 9/14
FBI has Brian Laundrie's phone but not Gabby Petito's
Brian Laundrie latest: Reportedly purchased burner phone day of disappearance

SB stated that the phone was bought on 9/4. At first SB stated it was sometime before Brian left, then later stated it was 9/4.
FBI Investigating New Phone Obtained by Brian Laundrie After His Return to Florida
Brian Laundrie bought new phone after Gabby Petito disappearance

LE hasn't clarified when the phone was purchased. We do know it was caught on surveillance camera at ATT so we'll eventually know the true date. My guess is that the phone was purchased on 9/4 because Brian took off on 9/13. Unlikely he would have then returned to town with his mother to buy a phone, drop it off at the house and then take off again. But at this point, there's nothing more than my opinion.

I know it’s already been discussed, but CNN picked it up this morning.

Investigators confused Brian Laundrie's mother for him while watching their home, police reportedly acknowledge
Brian Laundrie: Investigators confused his mother for him during surveillance, police reportedly acknowledge - CNN
I don't believe they were looking all that closely. There's little chance of mistaking RL for Brian. If all it took was the wearing of a baseball cap, that's concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1