Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, and there may be a simple no answer to this:

SB claims that he told FBI on September 13 that BL never came home from his hike and that the FBI has confirmed this conversation. NPPD claims that they did not know they BL was a missing person until Friday, September 17 when the missing persons report was filed. NPPD have also claimed that the FBI was working with them "hand in hand" for lack of a better phrase.

Has it ever confirmed been whether or why the FBI never told NPPD that BL didn't come home from his hike?
I don’t have the answer but I suspect it may lay in the quotes “SB claims” and “NPPD claims.” JMO.

Kim Kuizon FOX 13
@kkuizon

From
@NorthPortPolice
: This misidentification did not have a big impact on costs and the investigation. Other than confusion, it likely changed nothing. There is a very good possibility that Brian was already deceased. He still needed to be found.
@fox13news
#brianlaundrie

Contd. from
@NorthPortPolice
“We just wanted people to better understand why we thought we knew Brian was in his home. It was a direct result of a lack of cooperation from the family early on this investigation.”
@fox13news
#brianlaundrie #northport
o_O

ETA: I wasn’t aware that when people are being surveilled, they regularly call LE to let them know when they are coming and going in order to cooperate with surveillance :rolleyes::D

Kim Kuizon FOX 13
@kkuizon

From
@NorthPortPolice
: This misidentification did not have a big impact on costs and the investigation. Other than confusion, it likely changed nothing. There is a very good possibility that Brian was already deceased. He still needed to be found.
@fox13news
#brianlaundrie

Contd. from
@NorthPortPolice
“We just wanted people to better understand why we thought we knew Brian was in his home. It was a direct result of a lack of cooperation from the family early on this investigation.”
@fox13news
#brianlaundrie #northport
I disagree with NPPD. We now have no idea who was going in and out of the home. For all we know, Brian may have been returning to the home during the night, but they thought it was RL or CL.
Were the cameras too grainy? Were they set an angle that not much could be seen? Did they only take a pic every 10 sec or was it a continuous video? What happened that a 55 (don't know her exact age) year old woman could be seen as a 23 year old male?

I disagree with NPPD. We now have no idea who was going in and out of the home. For all we know, Brian may have been returning to the home during the night, but they thought it was RL or CL.
Were the cameras too grainy? Were they set an angle that not much could be seen? Did they only take a pic every 10 sec or was it a continuous video? What happened that a 55 (don't know her exact age) year old woman could be seen as a 23 year old male?
Also, I think one of us could maybe make that mistake when paying no attention to our neighbors’ activities. I would like to feel confident that LE, who have gone through training and would have much more information available to them about what might be going on, would NOT be making that mistake. Or, honestly, if they did do that, don’t point it out to the public. That statement helped no one and it brings nothing positive to the table. JMO.

Uh.... I don't agree that it was a "direct result of a lack of cooperation from the family early on in this investigation".... Didn't they put cameras up? Why did they do that if they were just going to base everything on the family's lack of cooperation? They should have just left it at the statement they made yesterday. This smacks of JT again. At this point, leave the family out of it. All MOO.
I can also agree that the Laundries should have been more cooperative. However, that doesn't mean it's okay for LE to make a mistake.

SB claims that he told FBI on September 13 that BL never came home from his hike and that the FBI has confirmed this conversation. NPPD claims that they did not know they BL was a missing person until Friday, September 17 when the missing persons report was filed. NPPD have also claimed that the FBI was working with them "hand in hand" for lack of a better phrase.

Has it ever confirmed been whether or why the FBI never told NPPD that BL didn't come home from his hike?

I don't think it has been confirmed whether or why the FBI never told NPPD about Brian not coming home.

This is my take, FWIW:

SB said he mentioned that BL hadn't come home to the FBI, but it sounded like it was in a conversational way. At that point, the FBI likely knew that NPPD had installed surveillance cameras and assumed that the NPPD was keeping an eye on things. They (NPPD and consequently the FBI) would have known that BL had driven the Mustang to the park (I'm making an assumption that since they thought it was BL who came home in the Mustang, they knew that BL had taken off in the Mustang). So, the FBI didn't think much about SB's comment and didn't relay it to NPPD. All MOO. I cant imagine being the NP Police Chief and having to admit to the FBI that they'd lost BL....

There is a series on HLN about murder's in New Jersey, called Jersey Gore.

The last episode of the season was about a girl Sarah Stern being murdered by her best friend. He confessed to the crime in a secret video made by a friend.

He and another friend had dumped her body into a river called Shark River, and was never found. But in his confession he said he choked her out and that it took him 30 minutes. He said he thought it would be easier than it was, but it was rough.

So much has been placed on how long it took for Gabby to be strangled and thinking it was about 5 minutes or less. But this story above was a prolonged 30 minutes, meaning Sarah Stern suffered. I hope Gabby didn't suffer and that it was quick. imo

I don't think it has been confirmed whether or why the FBI never told NPPD about Brian not coming home.

This is my take, FWIW:

SB said he mentioned that BL hadn't come home to the FBI, but it sounded like it was in a conversational way. At that point, the FBI likely knew that NPPD had installed surveillance cameras and assumed that the NPPD was keeping an eye on things. They (NPPD and consequently the FBI) would have known that BL had driven the Mustang to the park (I'm making an assumption that since they thought it was BL who came home in the Mustang, they knew that BL had taken off in the Mustang). So, the FBI didn't think much about SB's comment and didn't relay it to NPPD. All MOO. I cant imagine being the NP Police Chief and having to admit to the FBI that they'd lost BL....

When I hear SB making these types of comments, I always have a giant "maybe" in my mind. It seems to me that he emphasized the nonchalant call for the first time in that interview and after watching several of his interviews it seems that he changes dates, drops little extra details or denies details that he dropped before. I wonder if that even happened or if it happened with the same degree on nonchalance JMO

It is possible that Brian left sometime in the wee hours of the morning on Monday and not just before the gate opened at 6 at MYA Park. But, that would mean that he had to drive around or make a stop somewhere before the park opened. I'm sure that Sunday, the 12th was a very chaotic day at the Laundries. A flurry of phone calls before the van was towed late Saturday night AND proceeding into Sunday, the 12th. Probably, all day, between L's and SB and SB and BL. SB said that he spoke to Brian on the 12th AND the13th (my guess is he talked to B very early am on the 13th....like 1,2,3, am.) and that rather than taking anyone's advice to stay put, B packed his backpack and took off, upset, for his infamous hike in the Mustang. He did leave in the morning, but how early? jmo

My thought only:

Sufffolk County, NY were the originating LE, supported by FBI - New York - I found this snippet of info from the JT interview in the last thread. I am assuming that SB spoke to FBY - NY (when previously I thought either FBI - Tampa or Denver). I think this explains the dropped ball (and also include the local LE confusion over RL vs BL to the mix). Several FBI offices involved first NY - with Tampa supporting - then NY out of the picture and Denver the lead with Tampa supporting Could be that FBI spoke to local LE who told them that BL (but really RL) had returned - hence the dropped ball.

They didn't, I think it was just a very lame excuse and that they were really only looking for the Mustang to return. Just say that, lol, instead of making fools of yourselves. They saw the Mustang return on Wednesday, and figured that Brian was home!! jmo Plus, if they had been paying close attention, they would have seen both parents leave in the truck and only one of them return in the truck, because mom was in the mustang.... jmo
Did they see the mustang leave on the Monday?

Weren't NPPD & Sheriff Dept's all patting each other on back just last week? A lot of mistakes were made that ensure Gabby will never receive justice. Just sad!
Her abuser is dead. Had he been found alive, the family would have to wait years for a death penalty sentence. I prefer to think justice was served but the family will never have all the answers that may have come out at trial, maybe not if he chose not to talk. MOO

This is my take, FWIW:

Thank you for this thoughtful response. It makes sense!

It's just so weird to me that SB would say that in a conversational way to FBI but then Chris went out looking for BL.

My thought only:

Sufffolk County, NY were the originating LE, supported by FBI - New York - I found this snippet of info from the JT interview in the last thread. I am assuming that SB spoke to FBY - NY (when previously I thought either FBI - Tampa or Denver). I think this explains the dropped ball (and also include the local LE confusion over RL vs BL to the mix). Several FBI offices involved first NY - with Tampa supporting - then NY out of the picture and Denver the lead with Tampa supporting Could be that FBI spoke to local LE who told them that BL (but really RL) had returned - hence the dropped ball.

Good Point!

I understand going to trial and making sure you have an air tight case, however, naming Brian a suspect in this case from the start should have been done! He had her van for Christ's sake, IN FLORIDA!
A suspect wouldn't have gotten away so easily, he may have killed himself at home but at least his whereabouts would be known.
Poor Gabby, and her family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member