Found Deceased WY - Joseph 'Joey' Peterson, 16, autistic, Casper, 10 Nov 2019 *winter storm*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
would be good to know more about his behavior/level of functioning eg is he known to wander? would he not see any issue with leaving in his pajamas? would he hide and avoid rescuers if scared? or is he independent and able to make good decisions for his self-protection? i know hes described as having high functioning autism (but not self-sufficient) but autism is such a spectrum i dont want to assume what he is capable of.
UPDATE: Natrona County authorities searching for missing 16-year-old

Joseph is described as high-functioning autistic and may not have age appropriate problem solving skills.

This is the only additional details I’ve been able to find beyond high-functioning but not self-sufficient.

It's hard to say. I know of several kids with Aspergers that had friends to hang out with- some of those friends, of course, were not good friends and I wouldn't let my kids hang around with them.

This is what made me think that maybe someone he thought was a friend asked him to go somewhere and meet them. He might have been thinking he was just going out for a little bit of harmless fun, but someone may have had evil intentions. As we all know from this website alone, no one is really safe anywhere- Aspergers or not. It's just harder for some folks with Aspergers, as they don't seem to develop that intuition until their adult years, that something might not be safe or a good idea to do.
You definitely could be right. I am so grateful to not be apart of this millennial generation. But also sad that my child is a millennial. Life is so different for them.
And you’re right, no one is really safe anywhere, sadly.
I’m still struggling with intuition sometimes. I try to always see the best in others, which can be a downfall for me. Thankfully I married someone who is very street smart & a common sense genius (the polar opposite of me in that way).

On a positive-ish note, Joey’s tracks were located MULTIPLE miles in steep terrain, believed to be several days old...this tells me that he as of a few days ago he was still alive, and was healthy enough to have gotten so far, even in this terrible weather & awful terrain Knowing this info gives me a bit more hope for a positive outcome. Fingers crossed.

I pray he turns around, starts retracing his steps. Teens are tougher than wee ones and can survive longer. Poor Joey, he is probably quite turned around direction-wise. May he be found safe tomorrow.

LE states 33 sq miles searched by the 13th. That's a large area, could he have been missed ? Fallen and not visible ? Taken shelter out of the chilly wind somewhere ? Prayers for Joey and his family and friends. And as always SARS crews and animals and LE. Be safe out there. MOO

If he would have gotten turned around, then he may have traveled in a space they’ve already searched and I don’t imagine (unfortunately) that they have the resources to keep searching all of those miles consistently.
I’m pretty blown away by the fact they found his prints, it makes it feel promising in one way, but I still can’t believe he’s not wearing shoes! Was so hoping to find an indication that he was actually wearing shoes but it doesn’t sound like it...
No hat, socks, coat, gloves :(

I too have a loved one with Aspergers. While autism is a spectrum, if he is high-functioning I don't think they should underestimate his cleverness, especially if he is angry and doesn't want to be found. I wonder if he has a compulsive interest in nature or exploration? Was he actually seen leaving the house or were the pajamas just the last thing his parents saw him in before they went to bed?

I hope all bodies of water have been searched, and any areas covered by untrained volunteers are re-searched by professionals and that all of them are checking trees. If he is not found soon, a map of the area would be helpful, but honestly the SAR groups they have on this case are wonderful so I doubt they need our help. My deepest sympathies to the family - I hope Joey is found safe.

Last edited:
A strong cold front is expected to push into central Wyoming beginning late Tuesday, staying through Thursday morning. It is expected to leave four to six inches of snow in the lower elevations of Natrona County, while a winter storm watch issued for Casper Mountain calls for three to eight inches of new snow accumulation.

[...]

"With poor weather expected to move in overnight, we remain persistent and hopeful of finding Joey as soon as possible," the sheriff's office said in an update Tuesday afternoon.

Searchers Trying to Find Missing Natrona County Teen Before Storm

Search for Joey Peterson continues Tuesday, 'additional footprints' found - Casper, WY Oil City News

Additional footprints and suspected footprints have been located,” said the release.

Viper Imaging is coordinating with Drone Kings on assessing the drone footage, according to the release. “Viper Imaging’s software has the ability to have a computer search image files for colors or a variety of other human factors,” it said, adding that around 8,000 images have been taken of the primary search area.

I would like to see an all-out search using drones. A call for drone hobbyists to converge. For ATVs to ferry them to the area. I would like to see just like the equine and dog SARs, a drone with infrared SAR to be formed. EDITED to add I posted before reading of the drones.

Last edited:
Natrona County Community Sends Up Prayers for Joey Peterson

Members of the Casper-area community gathered at Highland Park Community Church in Casper on Tuesday to send up their prayers for Joey. Highland Pastor Mike Fackler led the service.

During the half-hour vigil, people of all ages and backgrounds bowed their heads during several moments of silence.

Pastor Fackler also asked the community to pray for other people who have gone missing from the area, like Kristi Richardson.

Natrona County Community Sends Up Prayers for Joey Peterson

Members of the Casper-area community gathered at Highland Park Community Church in Casper on Tuesday to send up their prayers for Joey. Highland Pastor Mike Fackler led the service.

During the half-hour vigil, people of all ages and backgrounds bowed their heads during several moments of silence.

Pastor Fackler also asked the community to pray for other people who have gone missing from the area, like Kristi Richardson.

Kristi Richardson will probably never be found unfortunately. IMO it’s pretty clear what happened to her, but I still follow her case.

A lot of people with Autism don’t like wearing shoes. I personally feel that socks are “toe prisons”.

Up until I started having issues with my circulation I never wore shoes or socks.

When I was Joey’s age I walked in the snow without shoes & socks.

People with ASD are hypersensitive to all kinds of different things AND hyposensitive to various things. Like for example, a lot of ASDers are hyposensitive to pain but hypersensitive to noise & smell.

Although being hyposensitive to pain is imho truly a wonderful thing/gift (as I am hypersensitive to pain) it can also be detrimental in cases like this.
I still have hope though bc with my higher power, all things are possible.

A Wyoming boy with autism has been missing in the frigid wilderness for 10 days - CNN

On Tuesday, "additional footprints and suspected footprints have been located," the sheriff's department said. "Search teams comprised of mounted searchers, tracking experts, and K9 teams are converging from both sides of an area where Joey is believed to have walked toward."

Searchers are also using drones to try to find the teenager.

Authorities don't suspect foul play in Joey's disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbennett90
Back