GUILTY Yoselyn Ortega charged with 2 counts ea-1st and 2nd Degree Murder of Krim Children

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You can see opening and closing arguments on youtube.
The killers sister works as a nanny in NYC. It was she who said "I have a sister looking for a job as a nanny".
Thats where it all began.

I agree that with due diligence, parents would hire someone with a proven and corroborated background in childcare - certificates, agencies, childcare centers - not just a list of names offering references.
However, I do think in the case of childcare, this law could be beneficial, because there are plenty of people who assume that any mother is automatically qualified to be a child carer or a nanny. In Ortega's case, what could the Krims do? They could call the phone number provided and hear a repeat of the same enthusiastic story - "Yes, she worked for us, she was wonderful" etc. Sure, if they'd done a background check on every referee, they would have eventually figured out that these were relatives giving the good reports. But how do you background check the referees to figure out whether they have a personal connection with the applicant? They could do a police check/ background check and Ortega would have come up clean.
The relatives who gave those references would never have dreamed of the consequences. They probably saw that Ortega had done a good job raising her own son under difficult circumstances, and they concluded from this that she would make a good nanny. They would have seen their references as a "white lie." It's an easy lie to tell, and it's a difficult lie to uncover.

I agree that at least having such a law is helpful, but only IF the falsely referenced nanny hurts the children and only IF the references can be proved false. And that’s after the damage is done. As you say, Ortega’s family would never have dreamed of the consequences of their “white lie,” so I don’t think the law will stop the lying, but only give recourse in the event of a bad outcome.

Regarding figuring out a personal connection, I know that when I sleuth someone, websites also list names associated with them. That’s for free, but I think paying would give more info. It’s a lot of work, hassle and expense to vet the references, but after this case, I would certainly do it if I needed a nanny. I really feel for parents trying to do right by their kids.

I agree that at least having such a law is helpful, but only IF the falsely referenced nanny hurts the children and only IF the references can be proved false. And that’s after the damage is done. As you say, Ortega’s family would never have dreamed of the consequences of their “white lie,” so I don’t think the law will stop the lying, but only give recourse in the event of a bad outcome.

Regarding figuring out a personal connection, I know that when I sleuth someone, websites also list names associated with them. That’s for free, but I think paying would give more info. It’s a lot of work, hassle and expense to vet the references, but after this case, I would certainly do it if I needed a nanny. I really feel for parents trying to do right by their kids.

I suppose I'm thinking of it as a preventative measure, the same way breathalyzers and speed cameras make people act more safely on the road. Someone might think they are fine to drive home after a few drinks, but they don't drive because they don't want to risk being pulled over. By the same principle, someone might be happy to write a reference for a friend/ family member, but they won't if there is the chance of negative legal consequences for them.

What’s Crazy And What’s Just Mad
Even if jurors believe someone was out of his mind when he murdered, they don't like finding ‘crazy’ people not guilty by reason of insanity.

"Mental health defenses to charges of murder are tough ones to win. Even if jurors believe someone was out of his mind when he murdered, they don’t like finding “crazy” people not guilty by reason of insanity.

The defenses are nuanced and the devil’s in the details. Take the following examples:...

Case 3. A woman working as a nanny in an Upper East Side apartment takes care of two small children for years without incident. At some point, she starts hearing voices and can’t sleep. She becomes less patient with the children, and one day loses control and stabs the children to death in the bathtub, then plunges the knife into her own neck. The prosecutor argues the nanny wasn’t insane, but acted from uncontrollable rage. She was angry at how she was treated and wanted higher pay.

Here’s the problem with these cases. One might argue that any murder (unless out of self-defense) is irrational and therefore insane. Yet pure anger and an inability to control it has never been an excuse for murder. That makes sense — as a society we can’t have people getting pissed-off then harming or killing others without repercussion. But it’s hard to know where anger stops and insanity begins.

In the above examples it worked out this way:..

Case 3 is the most recent and perhaps most interesting. Last week, after a very long trial but only a two-day deliberation, the jury rejected the defense of insanity and found nanny Yoselyn Ortega guilty of murder. She had all the hallmarks of being insane at the time of the killings ...

Although jurors were split when deliberations began, they quickly moved toward a verdict of guilt. According to one juror: “It came down to proof. We could not find strongly, credible proof that the defendant was not aware [of the difference between right and wrong].”

In New York, the defense must prove an insanity defense by a preponderance of the evidence. The test is to show that the defendant did not understand the nature or consequences of her action or that the conduct was wrong. Different states have different tests and some states — Idaho, Kansas, Montana, and Utah — don’t permit an insanity defense at all.

For those states where insanity is a defense, winning comes down to several factors: the strength of defense experts; the agility of the defense attorney; and the horribleness of the crime.

Jurors are human beings after all, and I’m convinced that the more gruesome the crime the less likely they are to find the perpetrator not guilty by reason of insanity. This may be in part due to their belief that if they find the defendant not guilty he will be released back into public society. This is not the case. A not-guilty verdict means psychiatric institutionalization often for life.

The other part may be a simple desire to hold everyone accountable for his actions, no matter how crazy the person may have been at the time of the crime. To quote the judge in Anatomy of a Murder, “For all my concern and reverence for the law I sometimes ruefully suspect that the average murder jury really decides its cases regardless of the law.”.."

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/04/whats-crazy-and-whats-just-mad/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nanny to be sentenced in killing of 2 children

"...Yoselyn Ortega (YOH’-sih-lihn ohr-TAY’-guh) is set to be sentenced Monday following her conviction of murder last month in the 2012 deaths of Lucia and Leo Krim...."

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nanny-to-be-sentenced-in-killing-of-2-children/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
2h2 hours ago
Former nanny #YoselynOrtega will be sentenced today for the murders of Leo, 2, and Lucia, 6, who she killed inside of their Upper West Side apartment in 2012. She faces life in prison #nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
2h2 hours ago
The Krims just walked into the packed courtroom. Kevin and Marina Krim seated in the second row beside each other. #Nannytrial

Clodagh McGowan@clodaghny1
2h2 hours ago
Marina and Kevin Krim to read victim impact statements before sentence is dropped. Someone sitting behind me whispers “they’re so brave.” #nannytrial

2h2 hours ago
Not many dry eyes in the courtroom, as Marina describes the impact of Leo and Lulu’s murders on her oldest child, Nessie #nannytrial

2h2 hours ago
Multiple jurors are in court today too. But they’re not sitting in the jury box as their services are over. We heard from them after the verdict, clearly they want to see this case through #nannytrial

2h2 hours ago
Kevin Krim is speaking now. Re-reading his words from Lulu and Leo’s memorial service. Refers to the children collectively as Team Krim #nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
2h2 hours ago
The children's father, Kevin Krim, said efforts are moving forward to hold people accountable for lying on applications for childcare: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/...n=latest&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=collection … #Nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
2h2 hours ago
She continued, "She has destroyed the pride her family once felt. She’s destroyed any sense of peace they’ll ever have,” Ms. Krim said. #nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
1h1 hour ago
"These beautiful & innocent souls, were only with us for 6 years and 2 years respectively, blinks of an eye," Mr. Krim said. "We are certainly distraught over how they died. Over the terrible violence, the lack of any sense to it all." #Nannytrial
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clodagh McGowan@clodaghny1
59m59 minutes ago
Ortega’s attorney is asking Judge Carro to show compassion for client, asking him to allow her the possibility of parole. She also made some references to Ancient Mesopotamia and the Code of Hammurabi. Krim family friends shake their heads #nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
59m59 minutes ago
Lead prosecutor Stuart Silberg asked the judge to sentence #YoselynOrtega to life without parole. "This defendant has to this day shown no remorse, she has never shed a tear for the children. Why hasn’t she shed a tear now, still as she sits here now not a tear." #nannytrial

56m56 minutes ago
Yoselyn Ortega is speaking now, through her interpreter. She is apologizing and says her life is in the hands of God. This is the first time we’ve heard her speak #nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
55m55 minutes ago
#YoselynOrtega spoke for the first time and cried throughout. #nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
49m49 minutes ago
#YoselynOrtega sentenced to life in prison w/o possibilty of parole. #Nannytrial

48m48 minutes ago
Judge Carro calls this case “pure evil.” Yoselyn Ortega will serve two consecutive life in prison sentences, no possibility of parole. #nannytrial
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Killer Nanny’ to rot in prison for slaughtering two kids in her care

"Killer Manhattan nanny Yoselyn Ortega was sentenced to the maximum prison sentence of life without parole Monday for fatally stabbing two of her little charges, Lulu and Leo Krim — after the court heard devastating statements from the children’s parents.

Kevin and Marina Krim brought many in the packed courtroom to tears as they talked about their horrific ordeal and how they survived it.

Meanwhile, Ortega remained stone-faced.

Marina first talked about the couple’s only surviving daughter, Nessie, who was 3 when her siblings were killed.

“Each time she makes a wish, it’s always for Lulu and Leo to come back to us....

Calling Ortega “an evil and utterly dangerous narcissist and a complete failure,” Kevin addressed Judge Gregory Carro.

“I trust that you do not need this request from Lulu and Leo’s dad after all you’ve heard and seen, but I will make it anyway: In your sentencing decision, please follow the law as you always have … by ensuring that the defendant can never leave prison alive,” the dad said.

“The defendant knows nothing of responsibility or remorse. She should also know nothing of hope.”...

The only time Ortega showed any emotion was when she whimpered that she deserved mercy because now she was suddenly “sorry.”

“I ask for a good deal of goodness. To God. To Marina. To Kevin,” Ortega said, sniffling as she spoke through an interpreter....

Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance attended the sentencing, as well as at least nine jurors and alternates from the trial.

Vance yawned as Ortega’s lawyer, Valerie Van Leer-Greenberg, claimed that the jury was swayed solely by emotion.

“I still represent to you that she does not know what she was doing any more than an infant, a brute or a wild beast,” Greenberg told the judge of Ortega, pleading for what she called “mercy, not sympathy, but mercy, compassion.”

The jurors looked at one another and shook their heads in disgust when the lawyer claimed that they “did not base their conviction on the cold analysis of the facts.”

Before the proceeding, juror No. 11, David Curtis, a cab driver and actor, said he showed up because “I just needed to see the end of this.

“We started this together as a group, and we needed to finish it,” he said.

“The other day I found myself on the corner of 76th [Street] and Columbus [Avenue], and I just stopped,” he said, tears filling his eyes as he described looking into the lobby of the building where the murders took place.

“It’s profoundly changed the way I look at things, the way I look at the city.”

Alternate juror Chloe Beck added, “When I close my eyes, when I blink, I see those children.”..."

https://nypost.com/2018/05/14/kille...medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

(more at link)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lucia-leo-krim.jpg

Link: https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/320782/lucia-leo-krim.jpg?w=500&e=bd5456bd751dd56f3f52b9cb77594d7f

RIP...dear little ones...:candle:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clodagh McGowan@clodaghny1
59m59 minutes ago
Ortega’s attorney is asking Judge Carro to show compassion for client, asking him to allow her the possibility of parole. She also made some references to Ancient Mesopotamia and the Code of Hammurabi. Krim family friends shake their heads #nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
59m59 minutes ago
Lead prosecutor Stuart Silberg asked the judge to sentence #YoselynOrtega to life without parole. "This defendant has to this day shown no remorse, she has never shed a tear for the children. Why hasn’t she shed a tear now, still as she sits here now not a tear." #nannytrial

56m56 minutes ago
Yoselyn Ortega is speaking now, through her interpreter. She is apologizing and says her life is in the hands of God. This is the first time we’ve heard her speak #nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
55m55 minutes ago
#YoselynOrtega spoke for the first time and cried throughout. #nannytrial

Jan Ransom@Jan_Ransom
49m49 minutes ago
#YoselynOrtega sentenced to life in prison w/o possibilty of parole. #Nannytrial

48m48 minutes ago
Judge Carro calls this case “pure evil.” Yoselyn Ortega will serve two consecutive life in prison sentences, no possibility of parole. #nannytrial
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBM
Compassion? Surely you jest!
Life in a very deep and small hole is what this animal deserves and I'm being as compassionate as I possibly can.

I have followed this case from the start and still cannot believe what she did to precious Lulu and Leo. She is the devil incarnate.
Ortega, you are nothing!

(((((((Krims))))))) :hug:

Nanny Gets 50 Years To Life In Killing Of 2 Children (with clip- judge sentencing her)

"...Marina Krim and Kevin Krim each read their own victim impact statements in court, recounting memories of their children taken from them at such young ages....

Prior to the sentencing and after the Krims statements, Ortega’s defense attorney cited that her client suffered from depression and anxiety disorders, and refused to take prescribed medications.

“I am very sorry, but I hope that no one will go through what I have gone through,” Ortega said to the court through a translator. “So many people have wished me all the worse, my life is in the hands of God.

“I ask for a great deal of forgiveness from God, from Marina, from Kevin,” she said...."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/upper-west-side-nanny-yoselyn-ortega-sentencing/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Videos

Marina Krim, Mother Of Slain Children, Speaks At Killer Nanny's Sentencing (video)

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3...-children-speaks-at-killer-nannys-sentencing/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Krim, Father Of Slain Children, Speaks At Killer Nanny's Sentencing

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3...-children-speaks-at-killer-nannys-sentencing/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valerie Van Leer-Greenberg: (defense atty) 'Please Show Ortega The Mercy Of Our Law'

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3...berg-please-show-ortega-the-mercy-of-our-law/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manhattan Prosecutor Stuart Silberg Speaks At Killer Nanny's Sentencing

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3...t-silberg-speaks-at-killer-nannys-sentencing/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Killer Nanny At Sentencing: 'So Many People Have Wished Me All The Worse'

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3...-so-many-people-have-wished-me-all-the-worse/
-----

No real remorse, IMO. It's all about her....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did this monster really say this?:

“I am very sorry, but I hope that no one will go through what I have gone through,” Ortega said to the court

wth....unbelievable

It's all about her....Pfttttt...may she rot in prison forever ......

Videos

Marina Krim, Mother Of Slain Children, Speaks At Killer Nanny's Sentencing (video)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Krim, Father Of Slain Children, Speaks At Killer Nanny's Sentencing

Valerie Van Leer-Greenberg: (defense atty) 'Please Show Ortega The Mercy Of Our Law'

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3...berg-please-show-ortega-the-mercy-of-our-law/

Manhattan Prosecutor Stuart Silberg Speaks At Killer Nanny's Sentencing

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3...t-silberg-speaks-at-killer-nannys-sentencing/

Killer Nanny At Sentencing: 'So Many People Have Wished Me All The Worse'

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3...-so-many-people-have-wished-me-all-the-worse/
-----

No real remorse, IMO. It's all about her....

These are great links, thank you. Leo and Lulu Krim shine and live through their parents' statements.

Marina's statement was heartbreaking. Good for her for taking that opportunity to highlight how the extended family were complicit in the crime. Shame on them for not even expressing condolences and trying to describe it as an "accident."

State lawmakers reach deal on bill to crack down on bogus child-care references

"State lawmakers on Sunday announced an agreement on legislation that would crack down on people who give bogus references for nannies and other child care workers.

The deal crafted by Assemblyman Steve Otis (D-Westchester County) and state Sen. Andrew Lanza (R-S.I.) resolved a dispute between the Senate and Assembly over the severity of criminal penalties for child-care workers caught giving false information to prospective employers and allows the legislation to proceed toward a vote in both houses.

With only three session days remaining before the Legislature adjourns for the year, however, it remains uncertain whether the bill known as "Lulu and Leo's Law” has enough support to pass — especially in the Democratic-controlled Assembly. The bill is named for the Manhattan children stabbed to death in 2012 by nanny Yoselyn Ortega.

“There is a need to close this gap in the law so parents can have assurance that they are getting accurate information,” Otis said. “That is the case I will make for action this session. It must be clear that misrepresentation of qualifications for caregivers for children is against the law.”.

Otis and Lanza initially introduced separate versions of the bill. Lanza’s bill would have made it a felony to knowingly provide a false written statement or reference to a potential employer of a child-care worker. Otis’ bill, however, made the offense only a Class B misdemeanor, which carries a maximum jail sentence of three months.

The compromise reached over the weekend would make the crime a Class A misdemeanor, with the stipulation that jail sentences not exceed six months. It would also be applied only if the job the child-care worker was seeking was for 15 or more hours a week...."

State lawmakers reach deal on bill to crack down on bogus child-care references - NY Daily News
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back