Netflix or Amazon Prime recommendations

I've been watching Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories on Netflix.
It's shorter than 1/2 hour episodes.
A Japanese bar that serves food, open midnight to 7 am. If Master has the ingredients, he will make whatever you wish.
Sweet.
Subtitled.

I just came across this a day or two ago, had posted on another thread .
Its an Amazon original with Tommy Lee Jones, Included free with Prime.
Haven’t watched it yet, but it looks good.

Thanks! Watched it….loved it.

The Railwaymen, horrible but fairly accurate story of a 1984 chemical release in Bhopal, India.

I love trains, I love stories about India (even if Rudyard Kipling didn't write them,) and this is about amazingly brave people involved with trains in India.

And about corruption for profit & influence. Lies & bribes, too.

There is blood, and bodies, but not gory (ok, one autopsy scene & it's gory.) 15,000 people died!

We know I'm wordy, I"ll stop, but Mr. Laughing & I really, really liked this one!

The actors were originally speaking their home language. English is dubbed, there are English subtitles. Some swearing, but imho it's appropriate enough in a disaster.

4 episodes, highly recommend for content -- this one isn't an escape.

We're also watching Julia:

Much more relaxing & funny!

jmho ymmv lrr

The Railwaymen, horrible but fairly accurate story of a 1984 chemical release in Bhopal, India.

I love trains, I love stories about India (even if Rudyard Kipling didn't write them,) and this is about amazingly brave people involved with trains in India.

And about corruption for profit & influence. Lies & bribes, too.

There is blood, and bodies, but not gory (ok, one autopsy scene & it's gory.) 15,000 people died!

We know I'm wordy, I"ll stop, but Mr. Laughing & I really, really liked this one!

The actors were originally speaking their home language. English is dubbed, there are English subtitles. Some swearing, but imho it's appropriate enough in a disaster.

4 episodes, highly recommend for content -- this one isn't an escape.

We're also watching Julia:

Much more relaxing & funny!

jmho ymmv lrr
I remember when the Bhopal tragedy happened. I was young but I remember seeing the Newsweek magazine that week, the cover of the magazine said, “Bhopal Tragedy - Could it Happen Here?” Even at a young age I thought it was insensitive. Like it didn’t matter that thousands of people died because it wasn’t “here.”

We watched Bank of Dave on Netflix a couple of nights ago and enjoyed it a lot!

“Based on the true-life experiences of Dave Fishwick; 'Bank of Dave' tells the story of how a working class Burnley man and self-made millionaire fought to set up a community bank.”

This was on AppleTv+: Drops of God
“A woman discovers the world's greatest wine collection that's left by her estranged father and competes against his protege to claim her inheritance.”
(a limited series, 8 episodes)

Just finished watching it last night and was enthralled by it! Very different storyline. Loved seeing all the different locations and culture in France, Italy and Japan. A look into the world of wine that fascinated me. Good character development.

(Note:though it had “God” in the title, it is not a christian/faith kind of drama series)

I don’t subscribe to Sky but I want to see this documentary. I’ve followed the case of Anna Stubblefield since the story broke back in 2015. I heard that this documentary was being made and has now been released.

There isn’t a thread on WS about this case, I’ve searched for it several times.

Tell Them You Love Me explores the extraordinary story of Anna Stubblefield, an esteemed university professor who becomes embroiled in a controversial affair with Derrick Johnson, a non-verbal man with cerebral palsy. The relationship, and the criminal trial that followed, would challenge our perceptions of disability and the nature of consent.

Anna Stubblefield was a respected academic and a disability rights advocate; passionate in her belief that the most essential part of the human experience is the ability to communicate.

Derrick Johnson was a 30-year-old man with cerebral palsy and had never spoken a word in his life. As a child it was also determined that he had severely limited intellectual capacity.

But Anna disagreed with this diagnosis, and when she first told Derrick’s family that she could help him communicate they were thrilled. His mother and brother had always sensed there was more going on inside Derrick, and they were eager to know what he thought about all day long, when he might be in pain, what his hopes and dreams were.

The Last Narc on Amazon -

"the docuseries nterviews the DEA agent who spearheaded the investigation of Camarena's death. The agent, Hector Berrellez, states that the CIA agent Félix Ismael Rodríguez helped torture Camerena to learn what Camarena knew about US government connections to Mexican cartels."

I don’t subscribe to Sky but I want to see this documentary. I’ve followed the case of Anna Stubblefield since the story broke back in 2015. I heard that this documentary was being made and has now been released.

There isn’t a thread on WS about this case, I’ve searched for it several times.

Tell Them You Love Me explores the extraordinary story of Anna Stubblefield, an esteemed university professor who becomes embroiled in a controversial affair with Derrick Johnson, a non-verbal man with cerebral palsy. The relationship, and the criminal trial that followed, would challenge our perceptions of disability and the nature of consent.

Anna Stubblefield was a respected academic and a disability rights advocate; passionate in her belief that the most essential part of the human experience is the ability to communicate.

Derrick Johnson was a 30-year-old man with cerebral palsy and had never spoken a word in his life. As a child it was also determined that he had severely limited intellectual capacity.

But Anna disagreed with this diagnosis, and when she first told Derrick’s family that she could help him communicate they were thrilled. His mother and brother had always sensed there was more going on inside Derrick, and they were eager to know what he thought about all day long, when he might be in pain, what his hopes and dreams were.
I just finished watching it and I am quite disturbed. I didn’t know about the case before and I was left with a bunch of questions but I don’t think I have it in me to do more research about it.
Thank you for your recommendation.

‘Society of the Snow’ on Netflix is excellent. It’s the true story of the 1972 plane crash in the Andes and most survivors were from an Uruguayan rugby team. It’s the greatest survival story I’ve ever heard of. I’ve read and watched everything about it and this movie deserves all the praise it’s getting. 10/10.

‘Expats’ on Prime is a 6-part series with great cast members, including Nicole Kidman. The main plot centres around the people involved with a missing child, and it’s interesting because of the characters and the arc of the person who was responsible for letting go of the child’s hand before he went missing. 9/10. A bit slow, possibly. But it may just be me.

ETA: Currently on Prime is Jlo’s ‘movie’ (This is Me Now, I think it’s called) and a documentary she made about the making of the movie. The movie itself is like an hour-long music video about her many romances and the documentary is just mainly showing Jlo struggling to get the movie made because no one believed in the project. For good reason!

I like Jlo and her movies are normally watchable for me. I couldn’t watch either of these. They’re both so boring and self-absorbed. 0.5/10 for both.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back