GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link! I had only read it in the form of quotes from her family in articles, and never in any of the reports from the state's case. Then again, I'm sure there's a whole host of information along those lines to which we're not privy yet.. here's hoping, anyway. :dunno:

This may be strange to say, but I find it quite touching that Kristin is representing Lauren's family. Lauren would've been really proud of her friend, and I can't imagine the depth of Kristin's motivation to give it her all.

Apart from its appearance in the civil suit (at the link bessie posted), the WalMart video is discussed in MSM here:

...Detectives have video footage, which McDaniel’s attorneys hope to suppress, of their prime suspect in the slaying shopping at a Macon Wal-Mart on June 23, 2011, two days before Giddings was last seen alive.

“According to the police,” McDaniel’s lawyers write in one of their 17 motions, “Mr. McDaniel ‘appears’ to be looking at flashlights and boating supplies, including boat anchors, in the footage.” ...
more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/05/31/2499027/mcdaniel-lawyers-want-store-bought.html

Hmmm. Just noticing this, from one of the recent articles:

...Defense attorneys also want any evidence that police seized during several searches of digital storage devices inside McDaniel’s apartment in August 2011 excluded from trial. Gathering that evidence violated McDaniel’s expectation of privacy under the Fourth Amendment, his lawyers say. ...
http://www.macon.com/2013/05/31/2499027/mcdaniel-lawyers-want-store-bought.html

bbm: Thinking there has to be a mistake, in the story or in the motions or somewhere, because SM's family moved his belongings out in July 2011, I'm pretty sure. :waitasec: (There used to be a macon.com article about it at this link, but it no longer works, for me: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/24/1641841/mcdaniels-family-moves-his-belongings.html?storylink=addthis )

Or maybe it is supposed to mean that the actual "searches" of the devices did not occur until August, though they were removed from the apartment earlier...?

GeorgiaSunshine - (not quoting your post to reply because I think we're not really supposed to copy/paste directly from comments, but rather just point in the direction of and summarize -- so it might get edited by mods and no need for me to make extra work for the mod by quoting it...but anyhow: )

Interesting. Of course we really have no idea if this is from a real "distant relative" or what.... Wouldn't really surprise me, though. If true, I wonder from which side of the family.

I really wonder if it's true that the estate has been settled and GM is now the sole owner?? That seems odd, to me, but definitely could be true, I guess.

I really don't feel the rest of Lauren is there, but I hope the answers, whatever they are, will come, very soon.

GeorgiaSunshine - (not quoting your post to reply because I think we're not really supposed to copy/paste directly from comments, but rather just point in the direction of and summarize -- so it might get edited by mods and no need for me to make extra work for the mod by quoting it...but anyhow: )

Interesting. Of course we really have no idea if this is from a real "distant relative" or what.... Wouldn't really surprise me, though. If true, I wonder from which side of the family.

I really wonder if it's true that the estate has been settled and GM is now the sole owner?? That seems odd, to me, but definitely could be true, I guess.

I really don't feel the rest of Lauren is there, but I hope the answers, whatever they are, will come, very soon.

Well ModGods, I like the sound of that:) I knew that and didn't copy and paste completely, edited some words and left some out and even changed some words, yet I still think it was deleted? Well check out AF's comment under the article I mentioned. Very interesting indeed.

Since that was the moms father, the estate could totally be left to her.

I don't know. Wish this trial would hurry up.

Back in early June, before the pending trial was rescheduled from September 2013 to January 2014, the defense attorneys filed two motions requesting bond hearings -- one on the murder charges (IIRC, part of their thinking was that the dropping of the death penalty status called for a reconsideration of the bond amount) and one on the sexual exploitation charges, for which there has not been any bond hearing previously.

These were the same motions in which:

If a bond is not set in the sexual exploitation case or reduced in the murder case, Buford and Hogue also requested that they be allowed to pick him up at the Bibb County jail each Friday at 9 a.m. and take him to their offices so he can help work on his case. They propose that they will return McDaniel to jail by 5 p.m., according to one of the motions.

more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/06/03/2503496/lawyers-seek-lower-bond-for-mcdaniel.html

Shouldn't we maybe expect to hear something about a hearing/hearings on these motions pretty soon?

Back in early June, before the pending trial was rescheduled from September 2013 to January 2014, the defense attorneys filed two motions requesting bond hearings -- one on the murder charges (IIRC, part of their thinking was that the dropping of the death penalty status called for a reconsideration of the bond amount) and one on the sexual exploitation charges, for which there has not been any bond hearing previously.

These were the same motions in which:

...If a bond is not set in the sexual exploitation case or reduced in the murder case, Buford and Hogue also requested that they be allowed to pick him up at the Bibb County jail each Friday at 9 a.m. and take him to their offices so he can help work on his case. They propose that they will return McDaniel to jail by 5 p.m., according to one of the motions.

more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/06/03/2503496/lawyers-seek-lower-bond-for-mcdaniel.html

Shouldn't we maybe expect to hear something about a hearing/hearings on these motions pretty soon?

Quoting my own post because, when I tried to edit it during the allowed time, I got bumped off WS and then couldn't ever get back on -- understand WS was down for quite a spell. Anyhow, here's my intended ETA, as well as I can recapture it:

Digging a bit more, I found this --

... Before the trial, a hearing will be held in September to discuss nearly 50 motions filed by the defense. Cooke says he expects that to take about a week. ...
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/topstories/article/237143/175/The-Giddings-Case-Two-Years-Later

-- so maybe the bond motion hearing/s might occur then? I just somehow thought those might be handled earlier and separately from the other motions, considering their nature.

Originally Posted by Georgia Sunshine
<snip>...rumor is there is a lot of damning evidence that (thank god) has
not been leaked to the public. I am pretty sure McD is a
sitting duck with the DNA results that have come back,
plus the testimonies of certain people exclusively involved
With LG.
Originally Posted by Backwoods
<snip>...JMO, but if there is that kind of sitting-duck
DNA evidence, I don't really see what it would hurt, at
this point, if it was "leaked" -- it might be bad form or I
guess might taint the jury pool...but on the other hand, if
it is "rumor", as you say, guess it actually has been leaked
to some degree --and I just haven't heard it. If it was
well known, maybe it would encourage a plea? The defense
should have all the DNA evidence results (all that has been
returned, that is) by now anyway, so (presumably, anyhow)
it's not like a "leak" would clue them in to the
prosecution's "secrets" at this point.
As for testimony of people "exclusively involved with LG"
-- not quite sure what you mean by that, but unless it is
eyewitness testimony to her murder or something darn
close, I wonder how compelling it can be to a jury.
>>**Both above posts RSBM for focus**<<
I agree that there is damning DNA evidence linking SM to Lauren's murder, IMO.. IMO it is one of the earliest forensic testing results that came in that very much directly links him, directly to the murder.. I do believe that while "leaks" cannot ever be completely contained, especially in cases that have such a high profile media status..while I understand that it is inevitable that there will be leaks along the way, as a case is working itself thru the process of getting to the actual trial, however I do strongly believe that there can be extremely damaging results from too much being leaked.. And even more so than just the quantity of the leaks, much, much more important is the quality of the leaks..as in it being evidence of importance such as direct linking to a crime via DNA..IMO high quality evidence being leaked can possibly have negative impacts on multiple fronts.. I realize that unfortunately this type of information does get leaked regardless of what ramifications may result from the leak, nonetheless it does still happen.

Regarding "the testimony of people 'exclusively involved with LG'" and whether or not it would be impactful or not wrt the jury.. IMO I disagree that short of it being someone who beared witness to the heinous, brutal murder and/or the horrors of desecration that were inflicted on the body post mortem..&#8804;&#8804;--that anything short of this would be of very little, to no importance, meaning, or significance to the jury..I respectfully disagree in I can see there being extremely important and significant testimony that could come from people "exclusively involved with LG"..IMO significant to such a degree that it could be extremely damning to the defense.

IMO there could be significant evidence presented that Stephen McDaniel had become so much more than just a nerdy, introverted neighbor to whom Lauren had been kind to when others were not.. IMO I strongly believe we will see evidence introduced(possibly via testimony) indicating that there had been a turning point where Lauren's sympathetic nature towards a nerdy neighbor changed and evolved into annoyance/irritation..and from there to being somewhat fearful.. and the fear only continuing to grow in the time leading up to her murder..IMO by the time that Lauren was murdered I believe her opinion on who/what her classmate and neighbor truly was had significantly and very drastically changed(and NOT for the better!).. IMO I believe that its quite possible that some of this critical evidence/information will be delivered to the jury via testimony from people close to Lauren Giddings.. All Jmo, tho.

**My continued prayers for Lauren's loved ones(all of them, both family and friends) to find the strength through their faith and the support in each other to endure what is still yet to come in seeking to find Lauren's remains as well as seeking justice for her life being so brutally, hatefully, and heinously ripped from her and all the many who love her..**

Smooth, the post of mine you snipped is, I'll admit, not one of my best moments in Lauren's threads.

I think I posted that one when I was feeling really frustrated with the progress in this case. I'm not really wanting a whole bunch of leaks to spring forth at this point, certainly not wanting any valid case to be damaged... I'm just wanting this trial, if there's going to be one, to get rolling. Yeah, I'm up on this fence (albeit with a slight lean) but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be able to come down off it on one side or the other. But, barring a plea or some other pre-trial resolution, I've pretty much accepted that I won't be coming down until I hear the evidence and arguments from both sides.

>>**Both above posts RSBM for focus**<<
I agree that there is damning DNA evidence linking SM to Lauren's murder, IMO.. IMO it is one of the earliest forensic testing results that came in that very much directly links him, directly to the murder.. I do believe that while "leaks" cannot ever be completely contained, especially in cases that have such a high profile media status..while I understand that it is inevitable that there will be leaks along the way, as a case is working itself thru the process of getting to the actual trial, however I do strongly believe that there can be extremely damaging results from too much being leaked.. And even more so than just the quantity of the leaks, much, much more important is the quality of the leaks..as in it being evidence of importance such as direct linking to a crime via DNA..IMO high quality evidence being leaked can possibly have negative impacts on multiple fronts.. I realize that unfortunately this type of information does get leaked regardless of what ramifications may result from the leak, nonetheless it does still happen.

bbm above: Not sure you're referencing something specific with this -- think you might be, and IF it's what I'm thinking you might be talking about, from where I sit (and your vantage point may well be different, I know), that one still is a rumor -- and even if I knew it to be a "true" leak, I would still have some questions about it, would like to know a bit more about, um, quantity and whether similar testing was done on, um, others. I have that one filed as "rumor" until I hear it presented as evidence, I guess. (And of course could be we aren't referencing the same thing at all.)

Regarding "the testimony of people 'exclusively involved with LG'" and whether or not it would be impactful or not wrt the jury.. IMO I disagree that short of it being someone who beared witness to the heinous, brutal murder and/or the horrors of desecration that were inflicted on the body post mortem..&#8804;&#8804;--that anything short of this would be of very little, to no importance, meaning, or significance to the jury..I respectfully disagree in I can see there being extremely important and significant testimony that could come from people "exclusively involved with LG"..IMO significant to such a degree that it could be extremely damning to the defense.

Regarding the above: Yes, of course you're right, some valuable testimony COULD come from that direction. I think the phrase "exclusively involved with LG", though, made me think of the kinds of things that could be tricky, could get into hearsay territory and not even be admissible -- although I do know there are certain exceptions to the hearsay "rule". In fact, I think some change to the law in Georgia regarding hearsay evidence is scheduled to go into effect in January ... but I need to study up on what exactly it is, sure not knowledgeable enough about it to try to detail it here. (I think the wrongful death case may get into some trouble with the hearsay rules, too, FWIW.) But you may be thinking of things that don't even come near the hearsay category, for all I know.

IMO there could be significant evidence presented that Stephen McDaniel had become so much more than just a nerdy, introverted neighbor to whom Lauren had been kind to when others were not.. IMO I strongly believe we will see evidence introduced(possibly via testimony) indicating that there had been a turning point where Lauren's sympathetic nature towards a nerdy neighbor changed and evolved into annoyance/irritation..and from there to being somewhat fearful.. and the fear only continuing to grow in the time leading up to her murder..IMO by the time that Lauren was murdered I believe her opinion on who/what her classmate and neighbor truly was had significantly and very drastically changed(and NOT for the better!).. IMO I believe that its quite possible that some of this critical evidence/information will be delivered to the jury via testimony from people close to Lauren Giddings.. All Jmo, tho.

bbm above: You know, I've seen this theory put forward in Lauren's threads before -- and maybe it will prove true, I just don't know. I've considered it myself, when thinking on the "guilty" side of things -- especially back when I was pondering A LOT whether Stephen might, in addition to everything else that may or may not be true about his psyche/character, have had a psychotic break that summer and murdered Lauren in the midst of it.

And also I wondered, at times: If the Thursday night "Macon hoodlums" break-in attempt mentioned in the last email was written by Lauren, did she actually suspect Stephen, and could that have been a reason why she spent the night at friends' on Friday night? (But then why did no one report that she had mentioned such a fear to them?)

I base my own current stance on this, though, on what I've seen reported through these couple of years since, right now, that's what I have to go on.

We heard very soon about Lauren and family members being at a gathering at a Macon eatery/bar around graduation time, Lauren spotting Stephen and basically saying "Oh, I'm glad he came", having invited him.

Lauren's friend AM, who was so involved in the "night of panic" search for Lauren and its aftermath, told the Telegraph that she was shocked when she first heard that SM had been arrested on burglary charges. SM was in jail right away, yet AM also related how for several weeks she lived in fear because she thought someone might be stalking Lauren's group of friends. She didn't seem, from what she said, to have immediately thought "Omigosh, Stephen killed Lauren!" (FWIW, I think she will be a very credible witness and I have a feeling she will be a very valuable witness for the prosecution -- but my point is, she didn't seem to immediately suspect SM, as she might have if Lauren had confided fears.)

When DV, the boyfriend, was interviewed in that series of articles in The Telegraph, he shared some emails from a few years back -- maybe 2009 the most recent, I think...? -- in which Lauren seemed to be pretty creeped out by SM. But no later ones...? And Lauren was inviting SM places, as part of a group, and he was showing up. Somehow I have more gotten the feeling -- from what I know thus far -- that, as time had passed, Lauren and SM had come to sort of a truce, an acceptance of each other, despite stinkeyes in class and all that.

And at the time of Lauren's funeral, there's this, bbm:

Kaitlyn Giddings Wheeler, the victim's sister, told the newspaper: "If anyone would joke around about him, say something about him being dangerous, then Lauren would nicely tell them, 'Well, if he's dangerous, I'll be the only one who's safe.' Because they did get along, and she was very nice to him. She really did trust him."
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/hundreds-funeral-slain-law-school-graduate

(I do want to say: I do realize, even if things seemed "just fine" and maybe even smoother than they ever had been before between LG and SM at the time just before her death, that does not mean SM could not have killed Lauren -- in some ways, I know, it might have made it easier for him to do so.)

Evidence about Lauren's coming to fear SM and especially so just before her death may WELL come forward, just as you suggest it may -- I just cannot figure out, from where I sit just now, where it might come from in a form that will be admissible and a manner that will be convincing.

**My continued prayers for Lauren's loved ones(all of them, both family and friends) to find the strength through their faith and the support in each other to endure what is still yet to come in seeking to find Lauren's remains as well as seeking justice for her life being so brutally, hatefully, and heinously ripped from her and all the many who love her..**
And of course I join you, in the above.

I missed this when it was breaking earlier today, but apparently there was hope that these remains were Lauren's -- but they are NOT.

UPDATE: Skeletal remains tentatively identified

A work crew stumbled onto a skull late Monday morning in woods off the 2100 block of Old Holton Road.

Private contractors surveying for the Macon Water Authority called 911 shortly after 10 a.m.

Maj. Charles Stone of the Macon Police Department said hopes that the remains could be related to Lauren Giddings&#8217; killing soon faded when additional bones and male clothing were found. ...
read more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/08/19/2616242/skeletal-remains-found-in-woods.html

Hope they can confirm the identification and brings answers to another family.

ETA: I see the story at the link I posted has been updated again, with major changes, so the quote I posted earlier no longer exists there -- but this one does:

...Macon police Maj. Charles Stone initially said the jaw of the skull was missing, which could be the result of animals scavenging the body. It was not clear if that jawbone was eventually gathered up with the rest of the remains. ...

After hearing a skull had been found, Stone immediately thought of Lauren Giddings, a victim in a 2011 slaying. Only her torso was found after her killing.

&#8220;It&#8217;s what I think of first when I hear something like this,&#8221; he said. ...
Along with Maj. Stone, so many, many people in this area are hoping that the rest of Lauren will be found.

And also I wondered, at times: If the Thursday night "Macon hoodlums" break-in attempt mentioned in the last email was written by Lauren, did she actually suspect Stephen, and could that have been a reason why she spent the night at friends' on Friday night? (But then why did no one report that she had mentioned such a fear to them?)

The above is clipped from Backwoods's post 725

I have just realized that Lauren spent the Friday night before the Saturday night she probably went missing somewhere other than her apartment. I remember she spent that Saturday daytime at a pool, if I remember correctly. This leads me to think she may have been avoiding her apartment for some reason.

So don't know about additional "ingredients". Kind of made me want to google "how to make chloroform", but I thought better of it -- Lord knows, we've seen that doesn't look good if your computer is ever scrutinized

I looked this up a long while ago. The additional ingredient is acetone (nail polish remover). The process is fairly simple, problem is it does NOT knock a person out quickly and it no doubt reeks really really bad.

Ruh roh....I frequently buy both bleach and nail polish remover!

Make Chloroform from Household Chemicals - YouTube

bessie, seeing your name on your recent post reminded me -- I saw the other night where you referred to Lauren's case in Jaren Lockhart's thread, pointing out that Jaren's case is sure not the only one where FBI forensic results have seemed to come soo-oo slooow-ly.

You know, I understand somewhat about backlogs, precedence, urgency, etc. Really I do. The more I read on Websleuths, the more I realize the seeming slowness happens in a lot of cases -- and it seems to surprise a lot of folks, not just posters here but also sometimes LE (remember how, in Macon with Lauren, LE seemed to genuinely expect to be getting the results back "any day now" early in Lauren's case?)

But here is what really just bamboozles me about Lauren's case and the forensic results: Why do we have this, way back in April of 2012 (bolding is mine):

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/176277/153/Chief-Burns-Opposes-Bond-for-Stephen-McDaniel

... and THEN, just last month, more than a year later, we get this (again, I did the bolding):

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=237143

Honestly, what is with Cooke?? Is he telling it straight -- that hardly any testing had been done until now? Or, in that last part of his quote, is he just promoting himself?

I don't know who to believe!

Hmm, I know that's right................but MAYBE that is one of the main reasons death penalty was taken off the table
, becuase the case was already going to slowly?? THey'd never get this thing to trial at that rate and still waiting on forensic evidence from lab? IDK, Just a thought

Hope everyone is well, I've not been by in awhile

O/T -- I hope, since right now is a bit of a slow point here on Lauren's thread, it will not be unacceptable for me to post a brief appeal for some help on a WS thread regarding a 1970s missing-persons case of a 16-year-old Macon girl.

This is an invitation to everyone, of course, but ESPECIALLY to Macon and Macon-area posters, and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY if you (like me) are getting kind of old and so remember the days of Westgate Mall. Sixteen-year-old Carlene Tengelsen went missing, likely from Westgate, in June 1972 and has never been found.

WS member dogperson has done a great job of keeping Carlene's thread updated and good ideas for resolving her case flowing but has sort of indicated how great it would be to have some input from people who knew Macon -- and who knows, maybe even knew Carlene -- around that time. And I agree!

Please visit Carlene's thread:

GA GA - Carlene Tengelsen, 16, Macon, 21 June 1972 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thanks!

I JUST READ THAT TOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS WHERE ANOTHER SET OF MY APARTMENTS ARE LOCATED ON THAT ROAD SOUTH!!!!!!!!I FREQUENTED THAT AREA AND THE MACON AREA BEHIND THE LAW SCHOOL.

I'M GLAD THIS LADY HAD HER MEMORY JOGGED ABOUT SEEING SOMEONE THAT LOOKED LIKE SM COMING OUT OF THE WOODS ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO WHOEVER IT IS, this is the 3rd body dumped in this area in the past 2 years, wonder how many more, my gosh! LG from Macon (if it's her remains found today) and another young woman from Macon a year ago was dumped near Hwy 41 and Houston Rd, 2 recently that lived in WR were dumped near Hwy 49/41.

Jeepers, but I hope it's LG remains and I hope and pray the family can find some closure and soon

I JUST READ THAT TOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS WHERE ANOTHER SET OF MY APARTMENTS ARE LOCATED ON THAT ROAD SOUTH!!!!!!!!I FREQUENTED THAT AREA AND THE MACON AREA BEHIND THE LAW SCHOOL.

I'M GLAD THIS LADY HAD HER MEMORY JOGGED ABOUT SEEING SOMEONE THAT LOOKED LIKE SM COMING OUT OF THE WOODS ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO WHOEVER IT IS, this is the 3rd body dumped in this area in the past 2 years, wonder how many more, my gosh! LG from Macon (if it's her remains found today) and another young woman from Macon a year ago was dumped near Hwy 41 and Houston Rd, 2 recently that lived in WR were dumped near Hwy 49/41.

Jeepers, but I hope it's LG remains and I hope and pray the family can find some closure and soon

OH wait! THere are 2 Houston Rds, one is in Houston County, one is at the intersection of Hwy 49, Hwy 41 and Houston Lake Rd in WR, turns into Houston Rd Macon/bibb county after you cross Hwy 49 from Houston COunty going north or just before Hwy 49 going south from BIbb County,

there is a river there and the train trussell/bridge that goes under Houston Rd,

Very interesting.

SOmeone from macon would go south from Bond street to MLK/Broadway to Hwy 247 merge onto Houston Rd south

12-15 minute drive, 20 tops, done it myself many a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member