CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
wrt perp in hotel ... seems AT has been there for 26 years. Folks might be pretty used to him wandering the halls anytime/day/night. I've even pondered that he might be relied upon for some security or other small jobs at the hotel in exchange for reduced rent or other small perks.

Not to mention birds of a feather flock together, and may have alliances with others with similar interests.

Also not to mention his public movements against / dissatisfaction with hotel's new vision of becoming a tourist attraction and kicking out the regulars / long timers. Bad publicity would work to one's advantage here.

Which brings me hypothetically to our "perp(s)" IF foul play is involved. From a profiling aspect, I am very worried, but do not want to go off on a useless tangent until there are more facts released in this case.

OK, just an outside-the-box thought here.

In the tumbler entry talking about the new guy she was interested in:

http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/post/40549046425/more-so-theres-a-guy-im-interested-in-but

She mentioned the that he plays L4D as part of what makes him "very very very right". Is that Left 4 Dead? It seems so completely odd that she would mention this, amidst the facts that he plays bass, wears bowties and has a good smile. Was she a gamer? Did she mention video games in any other posts?

Could some combination of drugs / lack of meds / lack of sleep / lack of glasses have caused her to at one point think she's in some video game escaping zombies, and to decide to hide in the cistern?

I know this is a way-out suggestion. Or does L4D stand for something else?

If I remember correctly, she mentions video games, if the tumblr is credible.

Which reminds me again of that whole online video game predator thing posted via DM Missing in Colorado (XBOX Call of Duty).

I don't think the video was edited. it just stopped recording because there was no movement. It then starts recording again when the door closes.

If that's the case does that imply that the doors stayed open for 2 more minutes without closing? Totaling 5 minutes of the door being open? Can't say that seems normal but could be possible. Also why do the police deem it necessary to show an extra minute and a half of the elevator working properly instead of ending the video at 2:45 when Elisa walks off? The time stamp clearly sketches out 2-3 times around the time of the cut (2:50-2:55).

Someone also mentioned that it could be someone not a suspect that was cut out during that time. Someone in the same elevator within 5 minutes of her disappearance isn't a suspect?? Hmmmm sketchy

Now, how do we know exactly which floor she's on in the elevator recording? I'm sorry, I must have missed it.

we6I2JX.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjVBpyTeZM"]Elisa Lam Video - YouTube[/ame]

Elisa Lam only presses the middle row column of elevator buttons, top to bottom.

The very first button on the top is 14.

When she presses it, it does not light up because she is already on that floor

However, the rest of the buttons under (except the DOOR HOLD button) does light up. It's only the floor buttons that do light up.

If she was on the 15th floor and pressed the 14th floor button, it would of lit up. Watch the video and observe how only 4 buttons light up.

Those 4 buttons that are lit up are 10, 7, 4 (her hotel room floor), M (mezzanine) and finally the B (basement)

Welcome 100 Guests!

If anyone here has any schematics, maps, blueprints, diagrams, that would be awesome!
I am particularly interested in the service elevators and tanks. TIA (I think that means thanks in advance?), my first time using it, seen it around here, lol,

Hello. I'm new here, and wouldn't normally contribute, but if it can somehow help, then it's at least that:)

First of all, understanding the situation she may have been in, and where was and where she is going.

Reviews say there are no toilets in the rooms. Reviews say there are communal showers and toilets on each floor. The video is at night? She appears to be dressed in a very casual way, I believe she went to the communal toilet (not the shower itself as she has no items with her). I have to say I don't think she was on drugs or anything like this. I also believe that she has felt uneasy, either due to someone's presence soon before the video started, or in previous events when going to the communal toilet/shower at a previous time during her stay.

Some believe she is on the 14th floor in the video, and her room was on the 4th floor. I think it makes sense: she did not want to use the communal toilet on her floor as a safety precaution, this way if there is any creep she can take the elevator to her floor instead of going directly to her room, so she went to a different floor far from hers to use the toilet. This may even be a helpful tip she got from another guest.

When she enters the elevator, she does not appear to be quite in fear at all, and she pushes all the buttons in the center row of the panel in a rather casual way.

This is what the panel looks like:
l.jpg

So she is on the 14th floor, her room is on the 4th, and we see she hits seven buttons: the 14th (light doesn't turn on, because she is on that floor already), all the way down to the door hold button. I think she didn't realize she hit the door hold button at the end.

Why push multiple buttons? That one has been a big puzzle, but if she has been creeped out on a previous occasion, or in fact just a short moment before this video in the communal toilet, it makes sense. Here is what I found:

Travel Crime Prevention Tips

Elevators
• When riding on an elevator, always stand next to the elevator controls.
• Do not enter an elevator if it is occupied by anyone you consider to be suspicious.
• If someone is watching when you enter an elevator, press several floor buttons so they will not know which floor you got off on. Notify the front desk if the person made you feel uncomfortable.

It is likely that a girl who travels solo for the first time would have looked up such safety tips before leaving. She might be thinking that if the person walks into the elevator with her, the person will look very suspicious if they disembark on the same floor as hers, but more importantly she can head for the stairs after getting off on a floor that isn't the one of her room, leaving the creep in the elevator, and then walk to her actual floor. This is to do as it says in the tip, which would prevent him from knowing for sure which floor is hers.

This picture shows how the hall looks, at least on one of the floors (which appear to all be pretty much the same in terms of layout):

wawYIau.png

From inside the elevator, she can see into the mirror slightly to the left of it. That's why when she is inside, she is often looking towards the wall to the left outside the elevator: she is looking into the mirror to see what is outside to the left. That's why when she actually stands to look outside, she looks rather intensely to the right, because she already saw to the left through the mirror. The right side is the "dead angle". When she leaps out, she also first looks to her right. Even at the beginning when she first enters, she places herself in a way that allows her to look into the mirror and see to the left. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the toilet is to the left of the elevators past the corner shown in the picture above. She probably came from that side before calling the elevator, and if she felt watched it makes sense that she placed herself in a way to see that angle while in the elevator.

Now I think body language also tells a lot here.

First she stands in the right side, looking in the mirror, waiting for the doors to close. They don't close. She is starring in the mirror as she moves forward, before peeking out quickly (right, left), then immediately steps back in, putting her hands together (instinctive sign of feeling intimidated/scared, trying to make herself small), but standing right in the middle and straight; a position that doesn't make sense for someone trying to hide, which she rectifies immediately by standing on the side, but always while looking into the mirror outside. Realizing that if she can see outside through the mirror, someone outside could see her too, she steps into the corner: now she can see nothing but cannot be seen either.

After a short pause in the corner, still holding her hands together, she does something that from my perspective is rather brave in such a situation; she decides to get close to the door and lean on it to look outside, but notice how she focuses on her right for some time, exclusively. This indicates to me that she no longer considers the left side to be where the presence may be coming from, after having been looking in that direction all along. She is puzzled and hence decides to peer to her right instead, which she couldn't see through the mirror. After as short moment, she turns her head slowly to the left to look into the mirror. From here, it appears that the right side is dismissed.

Still looking leftward into the mirror and having peripheral view of the hall to her left, she steps forward slowly, trying to get the best view she can of the left side, hands still together, until she does a little leap forward.

The leap itself indicates to me that she made contact with someone. Notice her hands remained together during the leap. The leap didn't give her enough range to see more than she would have without simply leaning further from the "safety" of the elevator, so it appears to be a reaction. It is a mix of trying to react to a presence in a way that is both confrontational (leap forward, like trying to scare an animal away), and a result of being startled. She never looks to the right, so it truly appears that she is making eye contact with the source of her worries.

Notice how even after this reaction, her hands are still held together, and she almost immediately straightens her back. This to me indicates that she has conflicted feelings about who she is seeing. Notice how she then opens her legs to take a very stable position (standing her ground), then brings her legs together again and turns her head rightward slightly (still oriented leftward in relation to her body) as if tracking the person walking towards her in the hallway. She is switching from confrontational/standing her ground to a more intimidated position, feeling afraid as the person approaches she steps back into the elevator, (the person probably stops walking forward in reaction to her stepping back, not wanting to scare her). She then steps out again while looking to her right at the same time, indicating that the person who is right there is NOT considered the threat she has been worried about and is therefore doing one last check to her right to make sure the original threat is not there since she hasn't looked in that direction for a while, before now getting close to the person (feeling secure, talking to a woman going to the toilet perhaps, or another female guest or an elderly?).

I believe at this point she is no longer afraid. Her hands finally let go (they have been together since the very beginning when she decided to hide), as if relaxing, and then she even puts them on her head, as if becoming even more at ease. I think she is now talking with the person.

After a brief conversation, Elisa steps back in the elevator (notice she appears to be smiling), hands touch the walls, looking tired/relieved/exhausted from what she has just been through emotionally, and maybe feeling silly, and it can also be considered an instinctive mannerism to attract empathy. She keeps hitting the middle row buttons numerous times out of desperation, but the elevator won't budge. The person still being outside nearby, she walks out talking to her, giving up on the elevator. Notice she stands with her back directly to the elevator buttons, signifying to me that the other person isn't looking to use the elevator, and is standing right in front of her (occupying the center space of the hall, hence why she is standing so close to the wall). She talks to the person, and waves in front of the elevator (again appearing to be laughing/smiling at the situation), explaining it won't close, and then she appears to explain something she is listing on her fingers or pulling backward on them (a way to remove stress?).

She drops her arms, as if done with the situation, and walks away. The doors finally close.

Note that it is possible that there never was anyone else, but this is the impression I have. One of the main reasons I think she sees someone when she leaps out is that she never again bothers with the right side to any extent, everything from that point on happens to the left. If she felt threatened and never made contact, there is no reason why she would have ever stopped worrying about what is to her right.

Also, because of her body language; hands together all along, until a sudden very relaxed attitude, as if all fears were gone.

Hopefully this may help. Hoping this case is solved, so the family can heal.

Greetings everyone - great discussion here.

I wonder if perhaps she wandered up to the roof herself and met some unsavory person / people there late at night.

She seems quite abnormal in the entire elevator video IMO. She is using an exaggerated gesture to initially press the buttons in the elevator. Also, it is very odd to press all the buttons in a column like that. Of course it gets more disturbing from there with the weird facial expressions and hand gestures.

I think she likely was having some sort of drug- related reaction (mix of alcohol and prescription meds perhaps, or Ambien), and was wandering the hotel, and ended up running into some bad people.

RrwYiHn.png

^The two other outside stairs to the roof, besides the one that is at the front entrance of the Hotel. This Hotel is like a mulette. All business in the front (to attract guests), and a total crack house in the back. Looking at the back end on Google Maps you wouldn't even think it was the same hotel...

Wonder if her interest in music or fashion could be somehow related...

The post about getting drunk and going for McDonalds was not written by her, but rather by a user named either dveoit or boosprite, as you can tell from the "This was reblogged from dveoit" in the list on the right and the link to boosprite above the quote. You have to be careful when attributing posts to her; if it says it was reblogged from elsewhere, that means she did not write it herself and is only mirroring the post.

http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/post/38692729045/boosprite-omg-i-forgot-to-share-this-storry-so

Thank you. That is precisely why I just asked the question about reblogging.

Wonder if someone might have stolen her meds?
The side effects from abruptly quitting some meds
are pretty extreme.

On that tumblr page she says wellbutrin isn't covered by her student health plan. IIRC she wasn't enrolled in upcoming classes so maybe that health plan was no longer available to her. Might have made refilling meds a little difficult.
In my experience withdrawal from at least three of these substances makes one lethargic and irritable, quite different than her elevator behavior. I would be more suspicious about adding alcohol to the mix.

An unrelated thought I have regards the dogs possibly having missed her on the roof. It may have been that her "scent" was all over everyone and everything that came into contact with that water. It might be more difficult to pinpoint her location in that case.

Also, given the inconclusive autopsy, the medication history and the odd elevator behavior I do think this having been an accident is somewhat likely. It seems like drowning should have shown up on the autopsy however, so I'm confused. I also wonder about whether or not that tank was sealed when she was found.

I also want to mention, I do think its sad that disgust is being associated so much with this case, but I also understand that that's one nasty thing to wrap one's head around. If it were anyone else's body I think the hotel guest would be equally disgusted, I don't think this has much of a race element to it.

Re the 13" ... that was an initial give-or-take estimate based on LAPD saying the tank was 4.5' wide and I took the hatch to be approx 1/4 the width of the tank. Looking at the pic ^^ (and doing an unsophisticated measurement using pieces of paper) it seems the hatch is 1/5 the width of the tank (which would reduce the size of the hatch to approx 10.8".

However, looking at the size of the hatch in relation to the firefighter's hand, hat, etc, I would be surprised if that opening was only the 10.8".

I've seen varying stats on the tanks. Been trying to find exact schematics on this tank.

RrwYiHn.png

^The two other outside stairs to the roof, besides the one that is at the front entrance of the Hotel. This Hotel is like a mulette. All business in the front (to attract guests), and a total crack house in the back. Looking at the back end on Google Maps you wouldn't even think it was the same hotel...

And here is proof that people were able to get up the rooftop, past the locked rooftop door that was secure with an alarm as LAPD and Cecil Hotel Management has said.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K-UQP2fPyc"]Cecil Hotel - YouTube[/ame]

By the way, that footage was taken on February 14th, 2012. Now the question remains, how did these people get up the rooftops? Were they guests who had hotel rooms that had the windows situated next to the fire escape, for example, like this lady? Fast forward to 2:03 in that video to see the fire escape window in her hotel room

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlnOqmzwZuQ"]Cecil Hotel- downtown Los Angeles CA - YouTube[/ame]

The tour video Turk February posted on page 12 is interesting and tells me several things I didn't know previously.

A. It appears the mirror across from the elevator is not present on every floor. Some floors have artwork directly across from the elevators. A management-provided image of the 15th floor shows a mirror but I think we've ruled out Eliza being on the 15th floor.

B. The stairways are open. This was interesting to me because I envisioned a utility-like stairwell that is through a separate door and completely separated from the floors. This is apparently not the case at the Cecil.

C. Though the video wasn't the best quality, I did strain looking for security cameras in the halls, near the bathrooms, or on the stairs, but I didn't see any.

D. The YouTube video tours 3 floors by stair and then takes the elevator to the lobby. I don't know what time of night the video was taken but the videographer did not encounter another single individual during the entire tour, in the halls, baths, kitchen, stairs, or elevator. I found it interesting since I stayed at a hostel last year with communal baths and even though it was off season and a much smaller room to floor ratio there were always people in the halls/laundry/community room/showers, regardless of hour.

Remembering one of the reviews where the lady said someone was watching her shave her legs through a vent...(need to go back, if I remember correctly the vent was fairly low to the ground??) ...Could this indicate secret hallways / spaces?

I need a blueprint!

Elisa Lam was staying on the 4th floor (Stay on Main Hostel) in the Cecil Hotel. In the CCTV elevator recording, she is on the 14th floor on the Cecil Hotel owned floors.

Have you seen our earlier discussions about the floor she's on?

In this video circa 2012
http://youtu.be/_zkukLsXdE0

The two people are staying on the 14th floor. The 14th floor is painted a very distinctive shade of green. whether or not the green is played down in the surveillance footage of Elisa we're not sure, but unless they have repainted the floors then i seriously doubt she was on the 14th floor in the video.I am fairly confident also that there are indeed only 2 elevators in the building.

In addition, if the button doesn't stay lit up when she presses 14 because she is indeed on the 14th floor, can you please explain to me why at the 3.12 mark in the surveillance footage once the elevator door is about halfway open, the 14 light definitely and clearly turns off? To me this would indicate that the elevator reached the 14th floor.

It seems to me that some of the lights aren't as bright as the others, and other factors like light reflecting off the interior panels if the elevator can make the dim ones look dimmer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Would Elisa Lam be referencing this person?

It is only speculation so far, there is nothing solid that links him to Elisa. It does intrigue me that he was charged with assault back in 2010, which he served 4 days in jail for and according to him "Jail was fun, no big deal." It was also alleged that he kidnapped a woman (who was in his band, I think), she was drugged and she found herself in a stranger's house several hours later.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/bands/death-of-desire/ (local news article)
http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=58822 (the woman's side of the story)

I mean, yeah this character is shady, but so are many other current and ex residents of the cecil hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53