WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
How interesting! Is there a name for that? I know that Mexican and Indian is Chicano. There are certain characteristics like problems with drinking I know. Lyle had hazel eyes and was 6'2", from his white influence. Definately his Indian influence looks dominant.

Scandi

The three main classifications are Negroid, Caucasoid, and Mongoloid. Native Americans, Hispanics, and Asians are all in the mongoloid classification. alcoholism isn't more common among one race over another.

outofthedark said:
Thanks!!! :) :dance:
You are all most welcome!

I try to be helpful where I can and the pics came from coldcase man so biggest thanks to him :)

Since there are tissue and blood samples readily available and completely viable, I wonder if a complete DNA analysis has been done on this man. If not, it could be done but not without cost which could be prohibitive especially if the case has been relegated to the back burner so to speak. I know it is possible to determine certain basic types of ethnicity through the mitochondrial DNA...which is transmitted to every individual through the maternal line. Analysis of the Y chromosome for males only is also done rather routinely today...these tests can determine if this man has Native American and/or European ancestory. Males can have both the Y chromosome and mtDNA analysis done....the cost is I would think under $500, for the most basic of tests. The more refined testing done...the higher the price obviously. There are numerous labs doing this kind of testing now...here is one http://www.familytreedna.com/default.asp http://www.scientific.org/tutorials/articles/riley/riley.html

I think that the possibility that he is from Canada or another country other than the US is lessened by the fact that he knew the postal abbreviation for Idaho. For instance, I wouldn't know the Canadian postal code for Saskatchewan or any other provinces.

It's unusual that he did not include the zip code with his address. He appeared to fill out the fourm exactly as specified, writing down only his name, address, and state. I know that out of habit, I would automatically write my entire address, including city and zip code because they seem to go as a unit.

Was this a sign that Lyle was thinking very concretely, as many with severe psychiatric illnesses (in this case major depression) do? Or was he accustomed to following orders (eg military) or paying strict attention to detail (eg scientist or accountant)? Or perhaps he was simply trying not to draw attention to himself, providing only the information that was requested of him.

The SUICIDE paper is also interesting, in that the writing appears different than the others. It is more exact in this instance, with each letter separated and distinct. Like he wanted it to be very, very clear.

annemc2 said:
I think that the possibility that he is from Canada or another country other than the US is lessened by the fact that he knew the postal abbreviation for Idaho. For instance, I wouldn't know the Canadian postal code for Saskatchewan or any other provinces.

It's unusual that he did not include the zip code with his address. He appeared to fill out the fourm exactly as specified, writing down only his name, address, and state. I know that out of habit, I would automatically write my entire address, including city and zip code because they seem to go as a unit.

Was this a sign that Lyle was thinking very concretely, as many with severe psychiatric illnesses (in this case major depression) do? Or was he accustomed to following orders (eg military) or paying strict attention to detail (eg scientist or accountant)? Or perhaps he was simply trying not to draw attention to himself, providing only the information that was requested of him.

The SUICIDE paper is also interesting, in that the writing appears different than the others. It is more exact in this instance, with each letter separated and distinct. Like he wanted it to be very, very clear.
I always wondered about the HUGE handwriting difference between the suicide note and the other ones

When I looked at the handwriting I noticed he doesn't close the tops together but rather leaves a small gap opening. I noticed that in letters on I think every page, and thought maybe it meant he was not completely focused. I don't however know what the interpretation of this would mean to a handwriting expert. Any JonBenet posters here? LOL

Scandi

The suicide printing was slightly larger, and was more distinct. The paper was crumpled and thrown in the trash can. I had speculated that he either wrote the word out because he wasn't sure if he was spelling it right, or he had written it as a sign, so that whoever found him would know that ir was a suicide. He then realizes that it will be obvious what has happened, so he discards the note. You are right, there is a distinct change in handwriting.

grievousangel said:
Since there are tissue and blood samples readily available and completely viable, I wonder if a complete DNA analysis has been done on this man. If not, it could be done but not without cost which could be prohibitive especially if the case has been relegated to the back burner so to speak. I know it is possible to determine certain basic types of ethnicity through the mitochondrial DNA...which is transmitted to every individual through the maternal line. Analysis of the Y chromosome for males only is also done rather routinely today...these tests can determine if this man has Native American and/or European ancestory. Males can have both the Y chromosome and mtDNA analysis done....the cost is I would think under $500, for the most basic of tests. The more refined testing done...the higher the price obviously. There are numerous labs doing this kind of testing now...here is one http://www.familytreedna.com/default.asp http://www.scientific.org/tutorials/articles/riley/riley.html
Blood samples were sent to the State crime lab, where a DNA profile was obtained and run through CODIS, in the chance that Lyle may have committed a crime (such as rape) where his DNA would be in the unsolved database. It was also checked against the felon database, even though his fingerprints would have been on file, but there was no match. A sample was also sent to the University of North Texas missing person/unidentified database. Additional testing to estimate ethnicity wasn't done due to cost factors. I prefer not to focus on a particular race, but to look at all missing persons records.

There is one subject we have not broached, and I don't want to offend anyone or take the discussion to a place it gives wrong meaning. It doesn't really affect the investigation but would simply give more insight to Lyle if it is the case.

Back to the book, I have just read a brief synopsis of it as I can't find a thorough one, but it mentions that an incestuous relationship lies at the heart of the book. If Lyle had something like this going on in his life, or any other sexual preference other that regular, and if he does have strong ties to Native American ancestry, that alone could depress him to the point of suicide.

Hope I put that across the right way. :rolleyes: Native Americans are very proud people and it could be if there is something to this, they would not be accepting at all of the situation.

Does anyone have more info about the story or a good link? Every link I found is trying to sell a copy of the book. LOL

Scandi

Perhaps Lyle had been sexually abused as a child or perhaps abused in any way that could have made him depressed

Perhaps that's maybe why no one has ever come forward abd identified him- because they obviously don't want anyone to know about what went on

On thing I noticed and would like to get everyones opinion on:
It has been assumed that he gave his address as Meridian, Idaho (and such a town exists) but if you read the the handwriting pic he misspelled the town name, leaving out the second "i". It reads as "Meridan" instead of being Meridian. (Yahoo maps could not find a "meridan, idaho".)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/docwho3/lyle/regis3.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/docwho3/lyle/regis2.jpg

Would you misspell the name of your own home town?

docwho3 said:
On thing I noticed and would like to get everyones opinion on:
It has been assumed that he gave his address as Meridian, Idaho (and such a town exists) but if you read the the handwriting pic he misspelled the town name, leaving out the second "i". It reads as "Meridan" instead of being Meridian. (Yahoo maps could not find a "meridan, idaho".)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/docwho3/lyle/regis3.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/docwho3/lyle/regis2.jpg

Would you misspell the name of your own home town?
From how he misspells the name, wouldn't it give off the fact to anyone but us [I'm saying that because we know he's probably not from that location]that he's obviously not from Idaho, but somewhere else? Sounds like slip-up no.1 to me

I can't really read his handwriting- his abbreviation for Idaho looks like JD instead of ID

Here's what Doe Network wrote on his case file: "He had checked into the motel using the name "Lyle Stevik" from 1019 S. Progress Avenue, Meridian, Idaho"

What Lyle wrote: State ID Meridan Id . [I'm only copying what he wrote, spaces and all]

Fate sure had a bad sense of humor here :doh:

To me, it looked like the clerk wrote in "Meridan, Id" after Lyle wrote only "ID" for the state. Apparently Lyle was filling in the blanks for the clerk's request for name, address, and state. So he wrote "ID" for state and then the clerk asked "In which city do you live in Idaho?" and he responded "Meridian" and he/she wrote down "Meridan." Make sense?

annemc2 said:
To me, it looked like the clerk wrote in "Meridan, Id" after Lyle wrote only "ID" for the state. Apparently Lyle was filling in the blanks for the clerk's request for name, address, and state. So he wrote "ID" for state and then the clerk asked "In which city do you live in Idaho?" and he responded "Meridian" and he/she wrote down "Meridan." Make sense?
I believe you're right. He wrote "ID" and she at least got the name of the city from him, but she didn't know how to spell it.

Could be Outofthedark. I only thought of it as it seemed the book had special importance to him for some reason. And in the synopsis I read of the book, this matter was at the heart of it.

Scandi

scandi said:
Could be Outofthedark. I only thought of it as it seemed the book had special importance to him for some reason. And in the synopsis I read of the book, this matter was at the heart of it.

Scandi
I wrote a poem for my english class about how much Lyle took with him, what probably happened with him emotionally and what we probably thought in connection with the story character, where I described Lyle [Stevick] as someone who's "stuck with what he's got and mute to who he is around"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa