WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
scandi said:
So far what I have really learned about the Makah is that they are from the NW tip of the Olympic Peninsula by Neah Bay, and that their people do man a wonderful and well known museum. I'd like to learn more.

But in a wilderness area with so many different tribes, each one very individual in what they are known for, there is one big long lake that was there before any humans, I believe. I don't think there was anyone there during the ice age! LOL But it only makes sense that a place of such beauty could also be very spiritual for these people, and I'd love to discover if this is true. It might be why our Lyle needed to go there to what they thought was the end of the world, to find his way up into his new world.

It could be, or I could just hope he had some definitive direction like this. Indians are very spiritual people. I knew Lalooska for years, and his daughter Patty Fawn, from Ariel, Wa.

Scandi

Hi GardenMom, Yikes, I don't know why I can't go back to sleep! It's good to see you here. OK, back to try getting some winks. 7:30am will come way too soon I know. :rolleyes:

Goodnight! (I still cannot get used to East Coast time, here on the board. I always think, "Wow, they are up late", when y'all are 3 hours behind me)

How true GardenMom!

This site is a very interesting read. I did learn Amanda Park is in the boundries of the Quinault reservation. There are only 1600 Makah out there, and they got their language from a tribe up on Vancouver Island in Canada!!

Nitey Nite

scandi said:
How true GardenMom!

This site is a very interesting read. I did learn Amanda Park is in the boundries of the Quinault reservation. There are only 1600 Makah out there, and they got their language from a tribe up on Vancouver Island in Canada!!

Nitey Nite
Nice facts :dance:

scandi said:
Hi Rle7,

Amazing, as reading the previous set of posts leading up to yours, that is very much the thought I had.

It could apply to any Indian tribe on the Olympic Penininsula, 7 of which I have found so far. And it is because I do believe many, if not most Indian people I have ever met, were extremely proud people, down to the eye of the gnat!

A misnomer, maybe. If something bad happens to you, it is not for public talk. You deal with it yourself. And if you do something that you know is going to anger the spirits, no one even talks about it or acknowledges it. You are on your own on this one, and knew it well before you did it.

That is how I would classify suicide with Indians. It is acceptable to go sit on top of a mountain when you know you are close to deaths door, and wait for the right spirit to come and call you to another world. But to take your own hand and kill yourself, it might be a taboo among the tribe, and they would then pretend as though you never did exist.

I do believe this might be why no one inquired as to our Lyles being missing. They knew he was searching for answers and had maybe said goodbyes, or led family to believe he would see them later, maybe even as far to say 'in another world'.

I know you think Lyle may have come from way out of the area, Coldcaseman. You must have reasons to believe that, and so far your reasoning about particulars has been exemplary, and right on track I think.

I would have to delve into the folklore of the tribes on the Peninsula, but somehow think Lyle knew the Lake Quinalt area, even if he lived up in Port Angeles or Squim, and if he could choose a place above all others on this earth, that is where he felt the spirits were abundant and might help him in his plight, to raise him up to be with his ancestors.

I think he knew he was going against everything he had learned that was honorable in life when he actually decided to and comitted suicide, and sought out the one place by that beautiful lake, where the spirits would hold him tight and help him when he needed it the most.

Scandi
Hi scandi.

I was thinking he could be from any of the Northwest Indian tribes stretching from Oregon up to my homestate of Alaska. He's very tall for a Northwest Indian, but he looks like one.

I also think he may have lived on or near the area before, perhaps on the res itself. But he may have been adopted at a young age, or assimilated into dominant society. Or maybe his relations married into a neighboring tribe, such as the Makah up near Neah Bay. That could be why noone from the Quinault tribe recognized him.

Native Americans are very tied to the land their ancestors have lived on for thousands of generations. I'm very sure he would want to die where his ancestors are buried.

Just some thoughts...

wannabesleuthkk said:
I bought my house downhere last June and FL hasn't had one hit yet.
They're scared of me.
I always wanted to visit the Pac NW. My father years ago, took small plane from Seattle to a little island out off Vancouver and stayed in B&B. Best vacation photos i ever saw. One day I'll go see the Aleutian chain. I want pics of Kodiak. In the meantime i'm headed to the keys in two weeks for a little snook and tarpon. I like it hot. Good thing huh since i live in FL.
kk
Hi again kk :) .

I hiked between Neah Bay and Oil City along the Olympic National Park beach trail by the Pacific Coast. I spent the summer living in an old miner's cabin on Shi Shi Beach near Neah Bay. Very beautiful, especially the coastal formations like Point of Arches. It does rain a lot though. I'm sure I drove through Quinault on Highway 101.

I've also lived in Kodiak and out in the Aleutian Islands in places like Unalaska, Atka, and Amchitka. Kodiak is the largest island in the US and is called the Emerald Island because its so green in the summer. The Aleutians are windy and treeless, but some spectacular volcanoes in the area. The state-owned Alaska Marine Ferry goes out there for a reasonable price, its definately worth a trip during the summer months.

I've been reading alot of this tribal history too. I really enjoyed this site if you didn't see it yet.
http://content.lib.washington.edu/cmpweb/index.html

another that had great pics was...

http://makah.com/

It may not help help find Lyle's real name but it may help us better understand him if this is indeed the heritage that he was returning to in his final days.

Rle7, feel free to email with pics of Kodiak when you can.
kk

Most interesting, as always, everyone. Hi Rle7 :hand: Your thoughts seem very plausible to me, and I seem to think zoning in on these Wa State coastal tribes could be a stroke of luck. I've been reading about them, loosing track of time as always happens when you have an interesting subject. :)

The Makah are an interesting people up on that NW point of the Peninsula. They are a 'cousin' tribe to the Nootka which occupy the northern part of Vancouver Island which is right to the north of them. Both tribes are known as great fishermen which is their main occupation, and both are also knwn as great Whalers going back into history.

For 75 years they were not allowed to harpoon whales as there was a moratorium making the Grey Whale {I think ;} an endangered species. Then in 1999 I'm sure you all remember when the Makah tribesmen harpooned their first whale after this ban was lifted, and started the huge contraversy about killing these animals, and in 2000 Whaling by the Makah was banned.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/...index.html?query=NORWAY&field=geo&match=exact

The Makah Indians also have had a problem with suicide among their youth, which totally surprised me. Googling produces many references to it, and I am sure it would come up a lot with any indian tribal name.

So getting back to Lyle, if he looks much like the Makah, he might also be originally from Vancouver Island as both tribes are very similar, lived in the BC area and traveled down the pike through Seattle by bus and down to Amanda Park where there is a bus stop. Suicide has been prevelant among the young in the tribe so it must not have been an inordinate thought he had in deciding to do it. And if he had a Makah or Nootka for a parent, whaling and everything about it, the hunt use of it for food and oil, etc, was inbred and meant everything to these people. It was almost at the sacred level. Now what reference that might have to Lyle, I don't know, except that maybe he had this coastal way of living in his blood, which is why he came back to the end of the earth to die there.

Scandi

Lyle could have been a runaway from maybe 1998-1999 and perhaps he looked different then and maybe with his 2001 appearance he could be unrecognizable to his family

I also wonder if his hair was naturally black or if he dyed it- you can tell when hair has been dyed if you look at some strands/pieces under a microscope

I can't find many photos of their faces, but I thought this was a cool shot of a Makah indian fishing:

188_3.jpg

outofthedark said:
Lyle could have been a runaway from maybe 1998-1999 and perhaps he looked different then and maybe with his 2001 appearance he could be unrecognizable to his family

I also wonder if his hair was naturally black or if he dyed it- you can tell when hair has been dyed if you look at some strands/pieces under a microscope
No indication of hair dye, his "cuffs and collar" matched.

outofthedark said:
What does "cuffs and collar" mean? :confused:
A delicate way of saying the head and pubic hair are the same color.

I never knew that either OOD. Only way to tell a real blonde, i hear.
Off topic here... I just started a favorite movie thread in the jury room. Seems to be hoppin' a little.

Anyway, i've been reading up on the plains indian websites scanning faces in the crowd. It seems Scandi and friends have got the NW tribes covered.
THe nose seems to be the main feature diff that i can see. Lyle's possible Anglo genes have maybe altered his nasal shape and i've yet to see any faces with a similar combination of features, since the "man in the hat" from the OP website i first saw. I'll be in touch later,
kk

This is pure trivia, but I know one difference in an indian nose and a white one. Indian noses are very firm and you really can't bend them. White noses are soft. Yes I did try to tweak a nose once. LOL

His lips were quite full and perfectly shaped, and he had a wide mouth.

Gosh, none of this matters at all :banghead: Just trying to think of something that will speak.

Scandi

coldcaseman said:
A delicate way of saying the head and pubic hair are the same color.
Everything you ever wanted to know, and more. I have never heard that before. :doh:

wannabesleuthkk said:
Rle7, feel free to email with pics of Kodiak when you can.
kk
I lived in Kodiak back in the 1980's and early 1990's. All my photos are on 35mm film. I tried to scan some once, but the process took forever. I might try again though, maybe the technology has advanced some so it doesn't take as long to scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53