AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #5

Nope.
My bet, it that a big part of her "plea' agreement comes with a silence/ gag portion, regarding her actual whereabouts. She wants the bad publicity to stop....

We will know nothing....

MOO

Yes and that was her ultimate goal, attention and good press. Her actions are going to leave a negative impact now.

She is too old to not know better. I wouldn’t hire her or attempt to start a friendship.

Spot on! She committed a crime! Enabling her defeats the purpose.

Has it been disclosed where she was during the disappearance yet?

Nope.
My bet, it that a big part of her "plea' agreement comes with a silence/ gag portion, regarding her actual whereabouts. She wants the bad publicity to stop....

We will know nothing....

MOO
I think the state should make it a part of her plea deal that she discloses where she was and who knew. I have no proof, and only my opinion, someone was in touch with her during that time. I have wondered if she snuck back in to her home and was hiding there. It's beyond time for her punishment to begin.

@Luna20 you mention being friends with her, can you imagine anyone ever wanting to date her? Dudes are going to run fast, lol!

I think the state should make it a part of her plea deal that she discloses where she was and who knew. I have no proof, and only my opinion, someone was in touch with her during that time. I have wondered if she snuck back in to her home and was hiding there. It's beyond time for her punishment to begin.

@Luna20 you mention being friends with her, can you imagine anyone ever wanting to date her? Dudes are going to run fast, lol!

Good point. They don’t want to date someone that pretends to be anything they’re not. Valid caution applies. She could concoct a case against a guy that could ruin his reputation and cause irreparable harm. Scary…

ETA: I agree that her location should be revealed as well as who she was in contact with.

Last edited:
Spot on! She committed a crime! Enabling her defeats the purpose.

Has it been disclosed where she was during the disappearance yet?
I haven’t heard . But if there’s any kind of plea deal, I hope that will be required! It’s called telling the truth. It should be required IF she gets a plea deal. Which something tells me she will. JMO

Russell was scheduled for trial March 18, but a court document filed Thursday shows a plea hearing is now set for March 21. The document did not specify whether she will plead guilty.

last updated 4:17 PM, Mar 11, 2024

Russell pleaded not guilty in October to false reporting to law enforcement authorities and falsely reporting an incident. A municipal judge at that time found her guilty of the charges and recommended that she spend a year in prison and pay more than $17,000 in restitution.

Russell's legal team found the restitution fair but appealed the conviction in an effort to avoid prison time. A state trial was set to begin this week but was removed from the docket and Thursday's plea hearing was scheduled instead.

During the hearing Thursday, Russell pleaded guilty to the charges and was sentenced to 12 months supervised probation, community service and evidence of continued mental health counseling, and she must pay $17,974.88 restitution to the city of Hoover.

Of course. She pleads guilty to avoid a trial. She doesn't have to disclose where she was...life goes on in her Mercedes-Benz.

The judge said it would be a waste of money to go to trial, and I agree, even though she had the right to go trial, as the state has the burden and I think they've more than met it. If she fails to meet the terms of her probation a judge could make her serve the full sentence she was facing.

Of course. She pleads guilty to avoid a trial. She doesn't have to disclose where she was...life goes on in her Mercedes-Benz.

From the People article linked above:

[…]

State prosecutor Clark Morris, who had argued that Russell should spend time behind bars – suggesting she could even just come to jail just for nights or weekends – told the judge, per AL.com, that the case boiled down to “respect for law enforcement and respect for this community as a whole.”

“Miss Russell faked a kidnapping, duped the community, and contrived this situation,” he said. “We, judge, still don’t know, to this day where she was, how she got there, what she was doing, and with whom she was doing it.”

In an emailed statement to PEOPLE after the sentencing, Chief Counsel Katherine Robertson said the sentencing was expected.

"We are disappointed, but not surprised, that Ms. Russell did not get the requested jail time for her crimes," she said.

"Current law provides a weak penalty for false reporting and fails to account for situations, like Ms. Russell’s, that result in a significant law enforcement response. Fortunately, the Governor will soon receive our legislation to increase penalties for false reporting when an imminent threat is alleged and will expand the amount of restitution that can be sought. The next time law enforcement resources are needlessly wasted in this manner, the offender will be forever labeled a felon."

[…]

From the People article linked above:

[…]

State prosecutor Clark Morris, who had argued that Russell should spend time behind bars – suggesting she could even just come to jail just for nights or weekends – told the judge, per AL.com, that the case boiled down to “respect for law enforcement and respect for this community as a whole.”

“Miss Russell faked a kidnapping, duped the community, and contrived this situation,” he said. “We, judge, still don’t know, to this day where she was, how she got there, what she was doing, and with whom she was doing it.”

In an emailed statement to PEOPLE after the sentencing, Chief Counsel Katherine Robertson said the sentencing was expected.

"We are disappointed, but not surprised, that Ms. Russell did not get the requested jail time for her crimes," she said.

"Current law provides a weak penalty for false reporting and fails to account for situations, like Ms. Russell’s, that result in a significant law enforcement response. Fortunately, the Governor will soon receive our legislation to increase penalties for false reporting when an imminent threat is alleged and will expand the amount of restitution that can be sought. The next time law enforcement resources are needlessly wasted in this manner, the offender will be forever labeled a felon."

[…]
Sickening- no real life consequences for her actions,

Sickening- no real life consequences for her actions,
I see that differently … she’s completely unhirable in the state of Georgia, and probably beyond that. Any hope of a nursing certification - shot, gone. Any hope of a career, really, is gone. Any hope of ever ordering a pizza with her full name and not being “that woman.” I’m not sure she’s repentant … I’m posting this in part because if she gets picked up again in five years for shoplifting or white collar whatever, let it be said that we all marked this moment, where if she decided to turn it around she probably could but it was going to be really hard to do. She might blow it again. But I think this punishment is achieving some of its objective ($18,000 would’ve felt like Everest to me at that age) and I think the fact that her name and legacy are completely blown is enough for me. I hope we live in a place where, if she’s truly repentant, she gets another chance long-term.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back