CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023

Tuesday, March 26th:
*Pretrial Conference/Trial Setting Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Mei Li Haskell (37) found dismembered in a parking lot dumpster near Ventura Blvd & Rubio Ave, Nov. 8, 2023 (ID’d Dec. 18, 2023] in Encino; missing Mei’s parents Yanxiang Wang (64) & Gaoshan Li (72) - *Samuel Bond Haskell IV aka Samuel Basshinger (stage name) (35) arrested & charged (11/13/23) & arraigned (1/12/24) with 3 counts of murder. Held with no bond. Plead not guilty. Held at the Valley Jail in Van Nuys.
Judge Kimberley Baker Guillemet presiding. L.A. County Deputy DA Beth Silverman & Defense attorney Joseph Weimoritz.
Case & Court info from 11/8/23 to 12/18/23 reference post #309 here:
[URL='https://www.websleuths.com/fo...embers-missing-8-nov-2023.695475/page-16[/url]

1/12/24 Update: Haskell had an appearance in court Friday in Los Angeles, where he & his lawyers officially entered not guilty pleas to the 3 counts of murder. Haskell remains jailed without bail. He is due back on 2/16/24. A date is expected to be set then for a hearing to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to require him to stand trial.
2/16/24 Update: Next pretrial conference for trial setting on 3/26/24 @ 8:30am.
3/14/24 Update: Mei Li Haskell may have still been alive when she was decapitated, an autopsy released Thursday by the L.A. Medical Examiner found. Her head, arms & legs were noted as absent. The report noted a “sharp force injury at the heck? & the bone margins at the amputation areas described as “remarkably smooth”, suggesting a “a sharp powered tool was likely used” in the amputations. There was no definitive indication that the dismemberment occurred ante-mortem, however, the possibility that the head & neck removal was initiated prior to death cannot be entirely excluded.” While there was no indication the head was removed after death, the autopsy did not rule out that Mei Li was still alive when she was decapitated. There were no other fatal injuries identified on the torso. While the remains did not include the head, the coroner concluded that the most likely mechanisms of death were blunt force, gunshot or sharp force trauma to the head/neck of asphyxia. The coroner also did not rule out the possibility of poisoning.

Couldn't find any articles on the hearing from Tuesday - but looks like his case was bound over for trial - have his next hearing date.

Case Number Case Title Hearing Type Hearing Date Department
23CJCF00013-01 The People of the State of California vs. Haskell, Samuel Bond Preliminary Hearing Setting 07/18/2024 8:30AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Dept. - 110

link: LA Court

Couldn't find any articles on the hearing from Tuesday - but looks like his case was bound over for trial - have his next hearing date.

Case Number Case Title Hearing Type Hearing Date Department
23CJCF00013-01 The People of the State of California vs. Haskell, Samuel Bond Preliminary Hearing Setting 07/18/2024 8:30AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Dept. - 110

link: LA Court
Well, they’re moving forward with this. Heaven knows there’s plenty of evidence.

I hope they put a shirt on him, regardless. MOO.

I guess there has never been any indication from LE where Mei's parents' bodies may be? It is upsetting that they have not been found, imo.
I suspect they were put in other dumpsters, probably in pieces, as was the rest of Mei's body. If they haven't been found by now, I doubt they will be. I think they're buried deep in a landfill.

MOO

Mei Li's autopsy report from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner, obtained by several news outlets last week, noted the 37-year-old mother of three suffered a "sharp force injury at the neck," with the bone margins in the amputated areas described as "remarkably smooth," suggesting "a sharp powered tool was liely used" during the amputations.

While there was no indication her head was removed after death, the autopsy did not rule out Mei Li was still alive when she was decapitated, according to the report. The report did not list ay other fatal injuries to her torso.

There were no drugs in her system, the report stated, but coroners could not rule out that she was poisoned with an unknown substance.

"Given the circumstance of the case, which includes the deliberate concealment of the body by dismemberment and disposal, the cause of death is homicidal violence," the autopsy report stated.

Mei Li's autopsy report from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner, obtained by several news outlets last week, noted the 37-year-old mother of three suffered a "sharp force injury at the neck," with the bone margins in the amputated areas described as "remarkably smooth," suggesting "a sharp powered tool was liely used" during the amputations.

While there was no indication her head was removed after death, the autopsy did not rule out Mei Li was still alive when she was decapitated, according to the report. The report did not list ay other fatal injuries to her torso.

There were no drugs in her system, the report stated, but coroners could not rule out that she was poisoned with an unknown substance.

"Given the circumstance of the case, which includes the deliberate concealment of the body by dismemberment and disposal, the cause of death is homicidal violence," the autopsy report stated.
I really hope this guy takes a plea deal, if nothing else to spare the family, friends and general public from having to hear any more details. Pity the poor jurors, too.

I really hope this guy takes a plea deal, if nothing else to spare the family, friends and general public from having to hear any more details. Pity the poor jurors, too.
I truly hope he never sees the light of day again as a free man. He is truly an unhinged psychopath walking among us. He dropped his kids off at school that morning and had 'playdate' discussions with a few of the other parents, hours after he dismembered the 3 bodies. :mad:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back