CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023

IMG_7618.webp

Samuel Bond Haskell, 35, of Tarzana, has been charged with the killings of his wife Mei Haskell, 37, and her parents, 64-year-old Yanxiang Wang and 72-year-old Gaoshen Li, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

Haskell appeared in a downtown courtroom on Dec. 8 to answer to three counts of murder in connection with the disappearance of his wife and in-laws, but his arraignment was postponed until Jan. 12. Haskell was ordered to remain jailed without bail.
RIP Mei :(

Here's a YouTube video from "Sam Basshinger" (odd name, imo)

Lots of sites and links to explore on the "more about this channel" YouTube page:

Shame for the kids. Lock him up.
*Eyeroll* The movie he promotes features a medley of drug use, actors flipping off the camera, and acting entitled.

This case reminds me of the Ana Walshe case. Both Ana and Mei were supporting deadbeats who killed them in the same horrendous manner.

IMO

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 #Banfield
Dismembered body parts found in a Los Angeles dumpster last month have been identified as those of the missing wife of Samuel Haskell IV, the Los Angeles County medical examiner confirmed. Former prosecutor Tom Thurman joins "Banfield" to discuss if prosecutors need a body for a conviction.

Dec 20, 2023 #Banfield
Dismembered body parts found in a Los Angeles dumpster last month have been identified as those of the missing wife of Samuel Haskell IV, the Los Angeles County medical examiner confirmed. Former prosecutor Tom Thurman joins "Banfield" to discuss if prosecutors need a body for a conviction.
Just a guess, but having the wife's body, DNA of all the victims at the crime scene, Haskell getting rid of parents automobile, etc. should be enough to convict.

Just a guess, but having the wife's body, DNA of all the victims at the crime scene, Haskell getting rid of parents automobile, etc. should be enough to convict.
Yup, from what I know, only DNA is needed to prosecute, and some cases go to trial without even that. You don't need a whole body. (Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer).

Just now saw on Nancy Grace-----a reporter said that on the morning of his arrest, he had taken the kids to school for the first time he had ever done so---and also asked around to get them a playdate for the afternoon. And the other parents were really confused and suspicious immediately.

The reporter also said that SH's parents have the children right now....which is kind of heartbreaking, imo.

I'm glad they are not in foster care, but they are with the killer's parents---and I do feel a grudge against them because they were likely ignoring his psychotic behaviour for decades. JMO
I’ve been wondering about this. I know CPS (or equivalent) generally prefers placing children with relatives, but I have been curious whether there is a policy about placing them with the perpetrator’s relatives.

I was hoping they were with the sister/aunt, that seemed like an easier case to conceptually support if she was in a position to take them. The grandparents are more troubling, though my reasons against it are only theoretical, whereas I can see in reality it could be the least traumatic option for the children, who are going to need all the love they can get.

I would think there would be some type of hearing to determine placement of where the children go. If the grandparents are the ones who have or make the time to pursue that, and nobody else shows up with a counter-claim, is it likely the grandparents would be entrusted with the children? Or since the dad, their legal guardian, is alive (albeit charged -- but not convicted of 3 horrifying murders), does he get the determination? How or under what circumstances would or could his parental rights be terminated? Can his choice be challenged if someone disagrees, say if a relative of Mei's wanted to care for the children?

Moo and all this is speculation on my part.

I’ve been wondering about this. I know CPS (or equivalent) generally prefers placing children with relatives, but I have been curious whether there is a policy about placing them with the perpetrator’s relatives.

I was hoping they were with the sister/aunt, that seemed like an easier case to conceptually support if she was in a position to take them. The grandparents are more troubling, though my reasons against it are only theoretical, whereas I can see in reality it could be the least traumatic option for the children, who are going to need all the love they can get.

Look at the Dan Markel case. His ex-wife’s family murdered him and she (Wendi Adelson) still got custody. Not only that but she changed the children’s names and didn’t allow the parents of her murdered ex husband, the grandparents of her children, to see their grandkids for years until Dan’s mother went to court.

Wendi’s own brother is convicted for the murder and now finally her mother has also been arrested on suspicion to commit and conspiracy… Wendi still has custody.

Friday, January 12th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA – Mei Li Haskell (37) found dismembered in a parking lot dumpster near Ventura Blvd & Rubio Ave, Nov. 8, 2023, Encino [ID'd on Dec, 18, 2023]; missing Mei’s parents Yanxiang Wang (64) & Gaoshan Li (72) - *Samuel Bond Haskell IV aka Samuel Basshinger (stage name) (35) arrested & charged (11/13/23) with 3 counts of murder. Held with no bond. Held at the Valley Jail in Van Nuys.
Judge Kimberley Baker Guillemet presiding. L.A. County Deputy DA Beth Silverman & Defense attorney Joseph Weimoritz.
Case & Court info from 11/8/23 to 11/10/23 reference post #245 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ily-members-missing-8-nov-2023.695475/page-13

11/13/23 Update: LA DA George Gascón today announced the filing of three murder charges against Haskell in the deaths of his wife, Mei Haskell, 37 & her parents, Gaoshan Li, 72, & Yanxiang Wang, 64, in Tarzana. A judge denied him bail but granted his attorney’s request to postpone his arraignment. He was not asked to enter a plea to three counts of murder, each enhanced with special allegations of multiple murders. Haskell’s arraignment was continued to 12/8/23 in Division 30 at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center. If convicted as charged, Haskell will face a maximum sentence of life without the possibility of parole. The case is being prosecuted by LADA’s Major Crimes Division * is being investigated by the LA Police Dept’s Robbery-Homicide Division. Investigators are also looking for two missing vehicles, including a white Volkswagen Tiguan & a white 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. Authorities did not share any details about who the vehicles belong to & how they may be connected in the case. Authorities have found the vehicles, but release no info on where.
12/8/23 Update: Haskell did not enter a plea after his lawyer requested a continuance & was ordered to be held without bail. Over prosecutors' objections, Haskell's first public court appearance resulted in his arraignment being postponed until 1/12/24. The delay in his arraignment comes as he made a last-minute switch to his defense team. Haskell had been represented by Beverly Hills defense attorney Bob Schwartz until two days ago. His new attorney, Joseph Weimoritz, did not enter a plea on his behalf & requested a continuance of the hearing as he stood separated from his client by a glass partition. It remains unclear why he made the change. During a previous court appearance in November, in which no media cameras were allowed, Haskell's arraignment was postponed & he was ordered held without bail.
12/18/23 Update: The remains were identified on Monday as those of Mei Haskell by the LA County Depot. of Medical Examiner, which listed her cause of death as “deferred.”

“Sam Haskell Jr. is officially denying culpability in his triple murder case this week -- and the guy continues to go shirtless before a judge ... this as officials have fears of self-harm.”
Ew and also how is that allowed? I thought there were other garments for anyone at risk of self harm?

“Sam Haskell Jr. is officially denying culpability in his triple murder case this week -- and the guy continues to go shirtless before a judge ... this as officials have fears of self-harm.”
If he’s wearing cuffs (hands and possibly feet), how can he harm himself with a t-shirt or overalls? Is he shirtless in jail also then? I think it’s weard. A lot of inmates i read about were on suicide watch but still not shirtless. What can he do with his upper garment that he can’t do with his, for instance, socks, underwear, pants or even the clothes of the person next to him… To me it doesn’t make sence. I’m very interested if someone has a better knowledge of this procedure. Moo

“Haskell remains jailed without bail. He is due back in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom Feb. 16. A date is expected to be set then for a hearing to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to require him to stand trial.”

I noticed the article said he will be back in court next month - but it did not give a date...

So - @Tippy Lynn - you gave me the last hearing date - anything updated in the court site - that I can not access with his current case #. TIA! :)
I looked on the court calendar for February and I don’t see his case listed. When I search his name or the case number that we have nothing comes up. According to this article he‘s scheduled to appear in February. I’ll keep digging around. If I find something I’ll let you know.

Samuel Bond Haskell was ordered held with no bail, and he is scheduled to return to court in February when a date will be set for a preliminary hearing.

Court:
LA Court

Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center
Department 30
Samuel Bond Haskell, DOB: 4/3/88
Case: 23CJFC00013
Booking Number: 6709167

Three counts of murder
Man Charged in Murder of His Wife, In-Laws in Tarzana | Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office

I noticed the article said he will be back in court next month - but it did not give a date...

So - @Tippy Lynn - you gave me the last hearing date - anything updated in the court site - that I can not access with his current case #. TIA! :)

“Haskell remains jailed without bail. He is due back in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom Feb. 16. A date is expected to be set then for a hearing to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to require him to stand trial.”

@Niner looks like @Mert found the next court date. :)

@Niner looks like @Mert found the next court date. :)

Thanks for checking! Yes - I saw that date.

Wonder why he has a different case # than other L.A. cases that I watch?? Usually it starts with a BA or MA - and I have tried his every which way I could, but still not coming up in the court site that I access L.A. cases.

Thanks for checking! Yes - I saw that date.

Wonder why he has a different case # than other L.A. cases that I watch?? Usually it starts with a BA or MA - and I have tried his every which way I could, but still not coming up in the court site that I access L.A. cases.
I can’t come up with anything either. It’s weird.

ETA: When I look at the court calendar I see other case numbers similar to the case number we have for him.

If he’s wearing cuffs (hands and possibly feet), how can he harm himself with a t-shirt or overalls? Is he shirtless in jail also then? I think it’s weard. A lot of inmates i read about were on suicide watch but still not shirtless. What can he do with his upper garment that he can’t do with his, for instance, socks, underwear, pants or even the clothes of the person next to him… To me it doesn’t make sence. I’m very interested if someone has a better knowledge of this procedure. Moo
There are various reasons for taking the shirt away. It makes it harder for them to escape, they can't use it to hide anything or as a weapon/tool etc.

But there are alternatives such as a smock or a vest. Plus, I'd think shirtless could be considered unhygienic in the event there is a tussle or something. Allowing him to be shirtless just seems a bit much (and feeds SH narcissism IMO).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back