CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
v4ck0k.jpg

zxmm4y.jpg

Austin Sigg's home in search area for Ketner Lake assault suspect on Memorial Day in Westminster

Police blocks from Sigg home after lake attack

<snip> "7NEWS reviewed police radio traffic from Memorial Day. It reveals how close police were to Sigg throughout the search.

The first reference to an attack was broadcast at 1:25 p.m.

"He put a rag over her mouth and then hit her," said the dispatcher. "She's still on the north side of the lake. She said the rag smelled like Chloroform."

At 1:27 p.m., officers were directed to meet the victim at the pedestrian crossing light off Countryside Drive near Moore Street."
<snip>

<snip> "At 1:32 p.m., the description of the suspect was broadcast, along with his last known location.

"Party was last seen southbound on the path at Ketner Reservoir from the traffic light on Countryside (Drive). (He's) described as a while male, brown hair, mid-twenties, wearing a blue baseball hat, sunglasses, blue jeans," said the dispatcher."
<snip>

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ssault-suspect-on-memorial-day-in-westminster

Thanks for the information about his father's home, and the campus location.

I'm very familiar with that area as we spent much of our time going into the foothills/mountains, and going over to 93 was the easiest/fastest way to get most places and routes we frequented. We liked driving "backroads" and old roads when we weren't hiking. I imagine, if he liked isolated places, he may have been very familiar with the area she was found, too... I knew exactly where they were describing when I heard the news that she was found.

In the nighttime, especially in front of the foothills, it is too dark to see anything - especially in a depression like where the fence was. I'm truly surprised that he didn't take more time to hide her better, but if he was already planning to drive up to Superior, then he may have had a certain time window to stay within. IIRC, you wrote above that the location they found her was 30 mins. from his home w/mom? I think it takes less time to get there if you take the road directly west out of the neighborhood (Simms, I believe?).

CORRECTION: I see now that you said there and back in 30 mins. Sorry about that.

Thanks Enzeder for putting the map up anyway with those points marked. The "map" in my head goes more due south for where Parker is in relation to Westminster, and I always forget the foothills start "bending" out there a bit. I can use that, and a focused map of the neighborhood to put together an insert map, so I'll do that. It shouldn't take too long. Then everyone can see all of the points in one shot, so to speak.

And thank you for the compliment i8mypaint. I love your screen-name, btw. :)

UPDATE: I'm having problems with my graphics software, so I don't know if I'll be able to do the map - at least for now...

PS - most of those abandoned shafts are small goldmines, not coal - I'm near positive about that. Not much has changed in that particular part of the area in a VERY long time. It's like a section development forgot about or something - of course near Rocky Flats I don't think you can develop that land, hence, the wildlife preserve (old weapons factory land with nuclear waste, IIRC).

Sorry, but I'm a history buff.:D It was definitely coal. It was the Leyden Coal Mine. Which was the source of coal for the Denver Tramway Company to power the Denver streetcar lines. There is a lot of history in that area, and a lot of bad karma too. A lot of people died in those coal mines.

100th Anniversary of the Leyden Mine Disaster

I also have explored that area, years ago, when the road was still gravel. When I first read the article about the girls body being found there, my first though was OMG who ever did this had to know the area very well, to pick that place to dispose of the body.

Hi guys. I took some photos in the neighborhood 2 days before Sigg was arrested. I would like to post them, but I need to upload them online somewhere so I can link to the url. Does anyone have any recommendations on image hosting? Thanks.

I use photobucket and have for many years. It gives you a wide variety of links that copy to paste into forum messages like these, and the you can organize and keep track of them. I've just never needed anything else - especially with it being free. You just upload them to your account - you can also log in with a Facebook account. [I don't mean to sound like a commercial or ad copywriter. lol :) ]

@redhead 72
I commend your openness and also your privacy. I'm glad to see you, your input helps, and maybe in return we can help you. And if I got the # wrong I apologize. It's late, I'm sick, need to take some NyQuil and go to bed.

:getwell: I hope you are able to get some decent sleep.

Thank you for the reassurance. :) There have been several posts here in the last day or so that have cleared up some things in my own mind, and help me be more at ease - about posting, and about everything to do with my daughters' and my own experiences, really. Every little bit of healing helps my heart, mind and soul, and every bit of education and information goes towards making my research skills that much more effective, so I value it, greatly.

Otto: The excerpt image you posted earlier today was amazing to me. So much so that I cannot adequately put it into words (which as you can tell is a little odd lol). One thing I can say is that there were some things thought a long time ago that in my opinion did not reflect the truth about we survivors, and were widely believed by so many professionals. It was so heart-warming to see that part of the overview, especially. Thank you.

Thanks to everyone else, too. :) I need to be heading to bed myself in a few minutes... Everyone have a good night and stay safe. :eek:fftobed:

PS - You didn't get the number wrong, i8mypaint.

Sorry, but I'm a history buff.:D It was definitely coal. It was the Leyden Coal Mine. Which was the source of coal for the Denver Tramway Company to power the Denver streetcar lines. There is a lot of history in that area, and a lot of bad karma too. A lot of people died in those coal mines.

100th Anniversary of the Leyden Mine Disaster

I also have explored that area, years ago, when the road was still gravel. When I first read the article about the girls body being found there, my first though was OMG who ever did this had to know the area very well, to pick that place to dispose of the body.

OH!! :blushing: Sorry about that. I appreciate the correction, and I'm glad to know. There are so many abandoned shafts and mines, and some shacks last I was in the area, out there around in the mountains, foothills, flats, etc... I was more familiar with the ones further in - at least their locations and the ghost towns we were more familiar with. :)

I have to admit that I have always felt the whole section there to have a very weird vibe to it. Rather spooky is the best I can describe, but like you said about the bad karma - it has that bent to the odd sensations and feelings there in the land. You can feel it even when merely driving through it, or I did at least... Especially because it was so dark driving through at night. Half of the time I hoped I would not see anything of any kind - animal, criminal, or ghosty thing when we would drive through then. It was like "set apart". I feel uneasy thinking about it, honestly... It gives me the chills :cold:

I'm not trying to sound like a :dramaqueen: (drama queen), or pretend I know all about these things (or that I necessarily believe it myself), but I always felt there was something also because the land was so "old". Undeveloped - at least then. At least on top. And we know that the Native American Indians would use all of the areas up and down the foothills to camp at times in the past. I think that contributes to it - perhaps. Perhaps it's just that I can picture them doing that in that area that adds to that feeling is all.

Before I end this post, thank you for the offer of help. like I've been saying, I'm getting so much out of reading Everyone's posts, and receiving answers to so many of my questions. I feel silly sometimes posting so much, but I'm going to start a blog about some stuff here, so I don't feel the urge to mix explaining our cases with JR's, unless it really applies. (And because I need to write it out at least in general anyway, for my own needs.)

Sigg transferred to county jail

Updated: 3:32 pm, Thu Nov 29, 2012.

A Jefferson County judged ruled Tuesday to transfer Austin Sigg from a juvenile facility to the Jefferson County Detentions Facility. The decision came after nearly two hours of testimony and was made effective immediately.

Sigg, 17, is charged with murdering 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway of Westminster.

Alicia Calderon from the Attorney General&#8217;s Office filed the petition for the transfer on behalf of the Department of Youth Corrections. She told 1st Judicial District Chief Judge Stephen Munsinger it would be more appropriate to house Sigg in the Special Housing Unit of the Jefferson County Detention Facility because of the opportunities available to him in the adult facility. Sigg was previously housed at Mount View Youth Services Center in Denver.
Read more: http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/thor...cle_30579756-4f71-5b57-823a-bc57d94e19ce.html

I am worried about the last article.. it says that Sigg's counsel did not file for the reverse transfer (they would have to file this and iirc it would be an actual hearing).

Hopefully it is just bad reporting (re: not the defense thinking of future appeals.)

I too hope their not filing it is not a defense strategy. It irks me that such a tactic would even be allowed. I mean, it's not an oversight or a human error we are talking about, but a deliberate failure to do something with a plan to use that to their benefit later on. If the media reporting is accurate, that is.

(Forgive me if this issue has since been laid to rest; I am behind in reading.)

:cheer:

Thanks. I'll try to get through some of them today. My daughter should be contacting me later today and I've given her some questions that I have - hopefully she can remember some of the things I'm blocking out.

Thanks also for putting up the Sat. map. You can see where our residence was on that map as well.

Anyway, I'm still glad to hear they found this monster, and that he is where he belongs. I'm so happy to have found this website as well. Thanks to everyone who has been so welcoming to me! :)

:welcome6:

REDHEAD !!!

We're glad to have you with us!

I respectfully disagree. Institutions are for people with treatable mental illnesses. I've seen no reports to indicate that this is insane. He's just a murderer and that is exactly what prison is for!

I agree with you, Tennlyn -- if Sig needs medication -- which he very well might, there are plenty of qualified & caring medical professionals who can help him if he is incarcerated for a long time (let us hope). Many prisoners are medicated for all types of chronic illnesses -- diabetes, AIDS, hepatitis, schizophrenia, BPD, etc., etc., etc.

Many state prison/correctional systems (I don't know about Colorado, but I would imagine the state has something similar) have several area prison locations where a new prisoner is initially sent for determining to which prison he/she will be sent according to control level (maximum, close, medium, or low -- or similar), dental/medical needs, work abilities, educational level, age and length of sentence, etc. I can only speak for NC, but in NC this process takes about a month. They are tested, interviewed and examined in several different ways to see what their needs are, etc., etc. Someone like Sig is probably not that unusual, so I feel sure that whatever needs he has, along with the State's policies, his needs will be met -- possibly better than they might on the "outside" and at no cost to him or his family.

And yes, Tennlyn, I also agree that prisons are not hospitals or rehab centers, but they do offer both types of treatments that hospitals and rehab centers offer -- but prisons are, IMO, places built & designed to protect the public and for punishment for crimes committed against the people of the respective state. That's MHO in this case as well as for many others we've seen on Websleuths.

I think an institution is a bad idea for one such as Sigg. Is it not so that you cannot be held in an institution once you are "well"? Who decides if you are "well"? Doctors. Doctors can be fooled.

I would be okay if Sigg was diagnosed with some mental illness that was treatable and then placed in an institution but only IF once the mental illness had been treated to maximum effect, he was then shipped directly to prison to finish out his sentence, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

MOO

ITA, 'cox. That's the way it should be for all "Guilty But Insane" or "Guilty by Reason of Insanity" cases.

There should be a bifurcated trial: 1) to determine guilt, and if Guilty, then 2) decide if insane. If insane, send to a set-up- and approved-for-prisoner location for analysis and treatment, or have a prison set up to do so. When/if judged well, then incarcerate for the actual punishment. Period.

MHO.

OH!! :blushing: Sorry about that. I appreciate the correction, and I'm glad to know. There are so many abandoned shafts and mines, and some shacks last I was in the area, out there around in the mountains, foothills, flats, etc... I was more familiar with the ones further in - at least their locations and the ghost towns we were more familiar with. :)

I have to admit that I have always felt the whole section there to have a very weird vibe to it. Rather spooky is the best I can describe, but like you said about the bad karma - it has that bent to the odd sensations and feelings there in the land. You can feel it even when merely driving through it, or I did at least... Especially because it was so dark driving through at night. Half of the time I hoped I would not see anything of any kind - animal, criminal, or ghosty thing when we would drive through then. It was like "set apart". I feel uneasy thinking about it, honestly... It gives me the chills :cold:

I'm not trying to sound like a :dramaqueen: (drama queen), or pretend I know all about these things (or that I necessarily believe it myself), but I always felt there was something also because the land was so "old". Undeveloped - at least then. At least on top. And we know that the Native American Indians would use all of the areas up and down the foothills to camp at times in the past. I think that contributes to it - perhaps. Perhaps it's just that I can picture them doing that in that area that adds to that feeling is all.

Before I end this post, thank you for the offer of help. like I've been saying, I'm getting so much out of reading Everyone's posts, and receiving answers to so many of my questions. I feel silly sometimes posting so much, but I'm going to start a blog about some stuff here, so I don't feel the urge to mix explaining our cases with JR's, unless it really applies. (And because I need to write it out at least in general anyway, for my own needs.)

Thank you, Redhead, for all your thoughtful posts -- it's amazing to me to see how many Sleuthers are living or have lived in that area. Those "I was there" type postings are very valuable to all of us, I will say -- certainly to me.

It sounds like there are ghosts walking around the area that you & others have described. I guess a camp-out and ghost stories on a dark & dreary night in that area would be a tuff thing for any adult to try to do. (this is not sarcasm here, please know). I like scary things that are not real, but I suspect the hairs on the back of my neck would absolutely be a fact as long as I chose to stay there. (Now I'm worried that I'll dream about it...) Some places are eerie like that... And I'll bet there are 1,001 stories about old miners and other things spooky. <shiver>

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts & views. Please keep it up. And I'm very glad to hear you say that this is helping you a little to think better about your and your young daughters' very unfortunate incidents near that area. And keep at it, Redhead, and let us know what we can do, if anything, to help you continue to rise above it and hurt less.
icon7.gif

http://www.krdo.com/news/Park-renam...girl/-/417220/17603526/-/h5hdiuz/-/index.html

Park renamed in honor of slain Colo. school girl

The Denver Post reported Thursday (http://tinyurl.com/d2rf9yq ) the Westminster City Council voted to change the name of Chelsea Park to Jessica Ridgeway Memorial Park. Jessica lived in Westminster.

bbm

This is a wonderful thing -- I'm sure Jessica would be very proud of this, and I know her mom, g-mom and aunt are very proud as well, but it is still just so maddening and so dayam sad.
icon9.gif
icon8.gif

Thank you, Redhead, for all your thoughtful posts -- it's amazing to me to see how many Sleuthers are living or have lived in that area. Those "I was there" type postings are very valuable to all of us, I will say -- certainly to me.

It sounds like there are ghosts walking around the area that you & others have described. I guess a camp-out and ghost stories on a dark & dreary night in that area would be a tuff thing for any adult to try to do. (this is not sarcasm here, please know). I like scary things that are not real, but I suspect the hairs on the back of my neck would absolutely be a fact as long as I chose to stay there. (Now I'm worried that I'll dream about it...) Some places are eerie like that... And I'll bet there are 1,001 stories about old miners and other things spooky. <shiver>

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts & views. Please keep it up. And I'm very glad to hear you say that this is helping you a little to think better about your and your young daughters' very unfortunate incidents near that area. And keep at it, Redhead, and let us know what we can do, if anything, to help you continue to rise above it and hurt less.
icon7.gif

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm so grateful for that, and glad to know I can be of some assistance as well...

Thanks to all of you here and the words of support, I made the decision to put in a request to the Jeffco DA's office in regard to what, if anything, I can get as far as records on our case. I'm having trouble finding my copies and such. I'm hoping to get the name of the one who should be on the SOR at least, so we'll see. I'm sure the office is really busy, so I'm not expecting to hear anything for perhaps another week or so (I have had communication with them the day after I sent my request/questions in - forgot to put my daughter's name in the email! *smh* But, nothing since Monday.) I have managed to sleuth out the names of the other juveniles using the property records available, but the one who should be registered was living with his re-married mother, and I don't remember his Dad's last name...

As for the ghost stories - I hear you! That was always part of the pull when we would go for drives on the backroads in the mountains. Some extremely eerie places out there! I do miss those weekend drives a lot... It was always interesting to discover new places.

Thanks again for the welcome, and the wonderful offers of support I've had from so many. It warms my heart! :tyou:

Oh... I wanted to add that only one of the "juveniles" I spoke of, is still a juvenile anymore. And the one who still is should be an adult within a few months, and is the little brother of one that is an adult, so I didn't search anything on true juveniles. Just to make that clear and all. Our case occurred 14 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500