Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone remind me why LR retired? Was he set to do so before he was chosen for BM's case?

"This decision is being made, in part, due to health issues, which impact my ability to perform my duties as a district court judge," the letter states. "... It is my sincere hope that by giving 90 days notice as required by CJD 00-01, it will allow for an easier transition for the judicial branch and my successor."

Lama was sworn in on Jan. 11, 2016, replacing Judge David Thorson upon his retirement.

Jon Sarché, the Deputy Public Information Officer for the Colorado Judicial Department, said that about a year ago, Judge Lama began to consider stepping down from the bench.

I don’t disagree but I think a lot is blown out of proportion and dramatized. Linda never should have never gone on Mike Kings show. But for Llama to say just the name of the show was highly prejudicial imo was over the top.
Linda never got the memo or just ignored it - about how as a DA she should do …well, so many things. She is a woman I believe who is used to living out loud and doing her own thing. Maybe if she were a man she would not have gotten so much blowback.
We shall see. Her discretion and judgement while working in a highly sensitive and politically charged environment
we're very naive at best. She has already said she is not running for re-election so no worries there.
HOWEVER Imo that does not negate or excuse the way Llama conducted his duties or deem his behavior unassailable.
JMO
Agree. Lama was awful.
But the DA was not doing what was needed - so a big mess.

I'm still stuck on cameras. IIRC LE theorized that, during Barry's hunt for a dead turkey, he was taking down his trail cams. But LE reviewed the video they had, seeing no evidence of his chipmunkery.

Where was Suzanne while Barry was doing this? She wasn't eating 3 day old veggie porridge with him. It was probably too early for sunbathing.... was she sunbathing right up to her proof of life selfie, closer to 2pm?

Which cameras did Barry leave up?

IIRC there was some communication between Suzanne and Barry that morning, as well as references to Jeff that she was alone again... wish I had a better handle on where Barry was relative to Suzanne, that whole day.

He thinks he sat with her while she was sunning? Yeah, you'd remember that...

Barry just can't seem to remember much about Suzanne.

Seems he's got company.

Gotta say, I hate that politics and corruption are eclipsing justice.

JMO

Here is how I am understanding the situation re Llama’s specific personal complaint that is part of the larger overall “mess “ with LS and her handling of the SM case

• A you tuber made domestic violence allegations about Llama – ( the you tuber is not named )
  • Stanley thought Llama not allowing evidence re DV etc in the SMorphew case was unlike Llama. She wanted to vet the dv allegation from the you tuber. LE said they did not think the info was credible/ but Linda chose to move forward and investigate the allegation
  • Llama’s wife was questioned about dv and she said nothing happened
  • Llama did not initially hear about this from his ex (as I had assumed since I figured it was a confidential interview)
  • Llama was called and informed of his wife being questioned by the Canon City Sheriff (appropriate?)
So my question – If I am Linda the DA, involved with a case before Judge Llama that involves DV allegations and I believe there to be credible dv allegations against the sitting judge that are clouding his rulings in my case about Suzanne Morphew – what do I do – is there a procedure for me to follow and what are the proper channels ? I am obviously not a lawyer so I have no idea.
As far as Llama saying this was done to intimidate him – it seems he was never meant to know this was occurring – so I see no effort to intimidate, only an effort to see if perhaps any past behavior on his part was influencing his judgement. Just as an aside - I am still curious why Llama is on an interview tour, making this his personal quest. But all is usually revealed in time.
JMO
Former judge in Morphew case accuses district attorney of investigation into his family as retribution for rulings
A former judge who presided over one of the state’s most high-profile murder cases is accusing a sitting district attorney of launching an investigation into him and his family as retribution for his rulings.

Former District Court Judge Ramsey Lama said 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley used the investigation as an intimidation tactic. He said the investigation was launched after YouTube videos were posted filled with conspiracy theories about the Suzanne Morphew murder case.

"I don’t think she’s competent for that position," said Lama, who is now a lawyer in Cañon City. "I say that based on my experience being a judge here."

Lama spent nearly seven years on the bench and was the judge who presided over the Morphew murder case in Fremont County. He spoke publicly this week for the first time after leaving the bench last year. /

Then Lama said he got a call from the police chief in Cañon City.
"He informed me, you know, you’re going to need to sit down for this one, judge. I said OK," Lama said. "They got information that it was a district attorney investigator who contacted my ex-wife to interview her about our marriage. While the Barry Morphew case is pending. While I am the sitting judge on the case. That happened."

@Seattle1
This is interesting:

[…]

The OARC document recognized other allegations against Stanley, including a host of discovery violations and the fact that, according to the complaint, she did not ask for additional funding for the Morphew prosecution when she submitted her 2022 budget to county commissioners.

A month later, Stanley’s lead prosecutor Jeff Lindsey resigned.

Lindsey, who is now a prosecutor in Pueblo, recently announced a run to replace Stanley as district attorney in the 11th Judicial District. Stanley will be up for reelection in November 2024.

[…]

Here’s the story:

Interesting points for me

1.Well I guess this is the answer to my posted question on what Linda should have done about her dv/llama concerns:
"Lama told The Denver Gazette that instead of investigating him on her own, Stanley should have gone through normal legal channels and filed an emergency appeal to his rulings to the Colorado Supreme Court with an explanation as to why she disagreed with them."

2. This does not surprise me as it seemed IMO he was resentful to be there working for her
"Lindsey, who is now a prosecutor in Pueblo, recently announced a run to replace Stanley as district attorney in the 11th Judicial District. Stanley will be up for reelection in November 2024."

3. I found this statement interesting :
Veteran prosecutor Grant said: "Lama had to know what he was doing to Stanley's case when he struck all of her experts" and added that Morphew's attorneys had the upper hand.
"They played a rural judge and they played an inexperienced DA and they’re going to make it difficult for any prosecutor to prosecute Barry Morphew in the death of his wife," Grant said. ( Grant was the former Adams County DA)
JMO

1.Well I guess this is the answer to my posted question on what Linda should have done about her dv/llama concerns:
"Lama told The Denver Gazette that instead of investigating him on her own, Stanley should have gone through normal legal channels and filed an emergency appeal to his rulings to the Colorado Supreme Court with an explanation as to why she disagreed with them."

2. This does not surprise me as it seemed IMO he was resentful to be there working for her
"Lindsey, who is now a prosecutor in Pueblo, recently announced a run to replace Stanley as district attorney in the 11th Judicial District. Stanley will be up for reelection in November 2024."

Veteran prosecutor Grant said: "Lama had to know what he was doing to Stanley's case when he struck all of her experts" and added that Morphew's attorneys had the upper hand.
"They played a rural judge and they played an inexperienced DA and they’re going to make it difficult for any prosecutor to prosecute Barry Morphew in the death of his wife," Grant said. ( Grant was the former Adams County DA)
JMO
Sad to say that is not the only DA/attorney that has the opinion that it will be a difficult case to retry.

JMO
Sounds like another state where the good ole' boys win, regardless of evidence.

I'm still stuck on cameras. IIRC LE theorized that, during Barry's hunt for a dead turkey, he was taking down his trail cams. But LE reviewed the video they had, seeing no evidence of his chipmunkery.

Where was Suzanne while Barry was doing this? She wasn't eating 3 day old veggie porridge with him. It was probably too early for sunbathing.... was she sunbathing right up to her proof of life selfie, closer to 2pm?
^^rsbm

I think our timeline by @OldCop showed BM was at Maysville looking for the turkey before he made his appearance known. BM was skulking around before SM knew he was home and ready for lunch. MOO

^^rsbm

I'd say this ^^ by former DA Grant sums up exactly what occurred.

IMO, IE knew from the moment she appeared in Chaffee County what her game plan was.

She first filed a "test motion" requesting BM's next appearance already slated as a virtual hearing be changed to an in-person appearance, and when she got that Motion past Judge Murphy, she came out of the gate making a lot of noise which did not fare well with Judge Murphy who made it known from the start that he controlled his courtroom and was not a robot.

IE moved on to plan B -- replace Judge Murphy. JMO

^^rsbm

I'd say this ^^ by former DA Grant sums up exactly what occurred.

IMO, IE knew from the moment she appeared in Chaffee County what her game plan was.

She first filed a "test motion" requesting BM's next appearance already slated as a virtual hearing be changed to an in-person appearance, and when she got that Motion past Judge Murphy, she came out of the gate making a lot of noise which did not fare well with Judge Murphy who made it known from the start that he controlled his courtroom and was not a robot.

IE moved on to plan B -- replace Judge Murphy. JMO
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is IE had no idea that LS and team were going to squeeze the gal pal. Had LE done what most often happens - admonished her not to step foot on that property again...second time and we'll arrest you...there would never have been a reason for Judge Murphy to recuse himself. I really don't think that IE encouraged LE to arrest Ms. Darke under the circumstances... that would be totally bizarre. I also think she and at the time her partner had a game plan but it never extended to getting a judge to recuse himself. Many of us saw the weaknesses in the AA and that was just the beginning of what they probably saw plus they had appeal attorneys involved pretty early. They were absolutely watching everything prosecution said and did. And she is just that sharp of an attorney to let any little thing slide by. But it is a strange case. I just can't give IE that kind of credit to orchestrate something that no one knew would occur.

^^rsbm

I think our timeline by @OldCop showed BM was at Maysville looking for the turkey before he made his appearance known. BM was skulking around before SM knew he was home and ready for lunch. MOO
Barry kept changing his story to fit the evidence.
From page 34 of the AA:
On May 9, 2020,at 9:50 AM, Suzanne's texted Barry, "Want to hike?"
At 10:36 AM, Suzanne texted Barry, "Wanna meet to hike?"
At 10:48 AM Barry responded, "No. I'll come home."
On May 9, 2020 at 11:14 AM, Suzanne's phone received a second password reset message from Facebook. Shortly after 11:15 AM, Barry's phone traveled west on HWY 50, arriving at the Morphew residence at around 11:27 AM. Both phones, per CAST, appeared to be at the residence from 11:30 AM through 1:40 PM.
Barry's phone exchanged two messages with "Tim Backhoe" at 1:49 PM and 1:50 PM. Barry also made an outgoing call to Suzanne for two seconds at 1:51 PM (his tenth of eleven consecutive calls to Suzanne.
On May 9, 2020 at 2:26 PM, Barry texted Suzanne, "Done headed back." At 2:31 PM, Barry texted Suzanne, "Did you leave."
By 2:43 PM, Barry's phone and F-350, per telematics, appeared to be at the Morphew residence. On May 9th, at 2:47 PM, Barry's phone appears to enter Airplane Mode.
And from pages 71-72:
SA Grusing asked Barry fi she was wearing that swimsuit when he came home. He said, "Uh, she was laying out," when SA Grusing confirmed, Barry said, "Yep, yep."
Page 70 of 129

SA Grusing asked fi this arrival at home was after the blade change with Cribari. Barry replied, "No, that's from going home after Igot finished with Morgan for lunch. She waslaying out and then we ate lunch." SA Grusing said the photo was taken later that day, and he replied, "Then shemust've went back out when I left."
SA Grusing asked Barry if Suzanne was still laying out the second time he came back. Barry shook his headandsaid," Id o n ' trecallthat."Aftera pause,hesaid," Idon't recall."
SA Grusing told Barry that when he arrived that afternoon, his phone went around the house "quite a bit."
Barry was nodding his head and saying, "Mhhhh, mhhmhh." SA Grusing asked, "Were you looking for her?"
Barry said, "I shoo--, I shoot chipmunks."
SA Grusing asked, "You shoot chipmunks?"
Barry said, "Yeah."
SA Grusing said it looks like he waschasing one.
Barry said, "Yeah, I was, I've shot 85 chipmunks because they got into my furnace and cost me a bunch of money. So, when I'm home..."
SA Grusing interrupted and asked ifhe used a.22, and Barryreplied, "Twenty-two. So, when I'm home I just walk around and shoot 'em. Just keep going around the house." (Barry made circular motions with
his right arm.) He said, "Everytime Igo around the house, I'll see another and I'Il shoot it."
SA Grusing told Barry that activity would explain his phone's behavior, adding that he left his driver door open ni the garage before he went to the first patio. Barry said, " M h h h h , " and said,
"Yeah, shootin'," while nodding his head during the description of movement. He added, "No, I'm shootin' chipmunks. I've done that ever since we've moved in."
SA Grusing asked Barry fi heremembered doing ti that day. He nodded his head and said, "Mhhmhh, oh yeah."
Page 71 of 129

SA Grusing asked Barry what happened next. He shook his head and said, "I don't recall." SA Grusing asked about the hike happeningthen.
Barry stated, "It could've been, very, I know there was one in the two or three day period where we went to Fooses, but I don't know, I can't tell you exactly when it was and I don't recall it."

Page 118:
Barry was shown Google maps ofhis residence and his phone activity on Saturday, May 94, when he arrived home between 11:30 AM and left at 1:38 PM. When shown location points that his truck may not have pulled in the driveway and he appeared to be coming up through the woods on foot to his house, Barry said he might have been looking at turkeys.
Barry was shown a second map, below, of his movements from 11:52 AM to 12:31 PM, when he appeared to head east ofhis property, duringthe time he was supposedly having"veggie soup" with Suzanne. Barry said he was looking for a turkey that lad shot previously with a bow, but they had never found.
Residence 1.106
Polypon
orde 30path
30polygon
Measure the dstancebetireen wtoponts onthe ground
MapLength: GroundLength: Mesdng:
0.26 Mies
97.54 degroes
Barry was shown a third map where it looked like he was on foot, heading back to his truck, before he left at 1:38 PM and called Suzanne at 1:47 PM and 1:49 PM. Barry said it made sense that he did not talk to
Suzanne much during that lunch hour as a reason for him calling her twice when he got to Highway 50.

Barry's phone exchanged two messages with "Tim Backhoe" at 1:49 PM and 1:50 PM. Barry also made an outgoing call to Suzanne for two seconds at 1:51 PM (his tenth of eleven consecutive calls to Suzanne.
A two-second call? Was Barry home at the time? Because it sounds like that was maybe an attempt to locate the phone (and maybe thus Suzanne) by hearing where it rings.

Maybe he did that right when he arrived home, in order to figure out where in the house/yard she was?

Or -- If he called and got the start of her voicemail and hung up after two seconds, would that be considered a two-second call, or a call that never connected in the first place?

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is IE had no idea that LS and team were going to squeeze the gal pal.
^^rsbm

Nope. Be reminded that long before the trespassing incident by SD, we know from the AA that FBI had a wire tap and pole camera installed outside SD's residence in July 2020 to surveil BM's activity.

On December 17, 2020, while being interviewed at CCSO, SD started deleting data from her phone in front of investigators, and was evasive in her answers. Clearly, SD was going to be called as a witness with BM more than likely covering her legal expenses. The trespassing incident only served to make the conflict with SD's attorney and Judge Murphy public earlier than expected. MOO

Is the use of public funds considered appropriate in this circumstance?
Lol -- Taxpayer dollars also pay the President's legal bills.

All complaints to the Colorado Attorney Regulation Counsel and the resultant investigation were filed against LS in her capacity as the County DA.

This is no different than the state, county, and federal government that are paying the legal bills for each of the 25+ defendants being sued by BM in federal court for allegedly violating BM's civil rights.

IMO, it's ridiculous that LS is the continued target of MSM when dozens of prosecutors, officers, CBI and FBI agents were in this same situation as late as May when BM filed suit against multiple public employees yet not a peep by MSM.

Another example of the biased coverage targeting LS happened on Thursday when I just happened to see Attorney Jose Baez make a court appearance (Court TV live stream) for his new client, Shanna Gardner, who’s accused of conspiring with her new husband to murder her ex, Microsoft Exec Jared Bridegan.

Here, Baez brought another death penalty qualified attorney with him to the hearing to enter her appearance because Baez is delinquent with his Continuing Legal Education (CDL), and is working on catching up his hours.

The point being that it happens even to the celebrity attorneys and it's not making headlines or trending news. Never mind that when LS's CLE hours were correctly credited, the reporting on this error was buried on page 69. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member