Evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
TOD is gonna be a bit tricky in this case as we arent looking at a very large window. Most times TOD is given as an approximation give or take a couple of hours. i.e. They wont be able to say she was dead 3 hours when 911 arrived etc.

If we consider livor mortis usually takes between 1/2 and 4 hours after death...and rigor mortis begins 3 to 6 hours after death (longer in Janets case IMO, because muscular people tend to take longer to develop rigor). A body will usually be cold to the touch 8 - 12 hours after death.

This leads me to believe the best they will be able to say is TOD was approximately 8:00 - 10:00pm etc., if that close. I would expect the actual variable to be closer to a 3 hour window.

They can test the temp of the liver, but again, it isnt going to tell them she had been dead for an exact amount of time. It will be an approximation, that will have an hour or two lee-way on either side.

Then it sounds as if TOD might not help at all since from what we've heard, Raven was gone approximately 4 hours that night, correct?

JerseyGirl said:
Then it sounds as if TOD might not help at all since from what we've heard, Raven was gone approximately 4 hours that night, correct?

Im not convinced they will be able to pin the TOD down close enough for it to really be used as evidence in this case. From the studies I have taken on this subject, narrowing TOD down to within an hour is almost unheard of, and would be easily challenged, as science just isnt that accurate.

i.e. If they rely on the liver temp, they would have to know what her normal body temp was to calculate the difference. 98.6 is the average body temp, but as we all know, most of us vary from that slightly. If my temp is 98.6, I have a fever, because my normal body temp runs low.

JerseyGirl said:
So is blood evidence more reliable? Coagulation, etc.?

No, nothing is going to give TOD to within an hour or so. That just doesnt happen.

Usually an expert will testify to something like:

The victim died sometime between 8:00am and 12:00pm or something like that.

You wont find any reputable expert to say: the victim died at 11:00pm...or the victim died between 8:00 - 9:00pm.

How convenient this all is for the murderer. I'm beginning to worry that this will become an unsolved crime. Someday, Kaiden has a right to know that justice has been served on the person that took his mother from him. :(

SouthEastSleuth said:
I'd like to focus on this theory for a bit.

So, if the back story is indeed fact,

-Raven is out playing soccer.
-Gets home, parks beside the house.
-Go upstairs, kisses Kaiden good night
-Finds Janet in the office, stabbed.
-He tries to "save/revive her" (Presumably "revive" means CPR of some sort??)
Assuming CPR, surely there is blood, at minimum, on Raven's hands at this point.
-He goes downstairs, goes out side door, depositing blood on interior door frame, and interior of storm door.
-Goes to Durango for cell phone (Anxious, obviously, and perhaps forgetting that Janet's phone is in the house?)
-Durango locked.
-Back "inside to get Janets phone or keys to the Durango"
-Presumably then had a cellphone in hand, one or the other, and calls 911

Ok, so:

There is blood on the door frame/storm door. CHECK
There were swabbings taken from the door handle, and interior of Durango. CHECK

When he goes back "inside to get Janets phone or keys to the Durango"... the question is HOW DID HE GET BACK INSIDE WITHOUT LEAVING ANY BLOOD ON THE EXTERIORS OF EITHER DOOR, FRONT or SIDE (regular door or storm door)??

Again, based on info that we HAVE, there were no swabbings taken from the front door, at all. And no swabbings taken from the exteriors of either side door. None.
........very well thought out.........! exactly, if he went OUT the door, and came back IN again, after being in contact with "his 'hurt' wife "......of course there should/would be blood on BOTH sides of that door.......

...as Rooster has told us, LE knows all about raven's attempts at reviving janet etc....and LE obviously knows about the blood.........

...raven must have a darn air-tight alibi ??? for him NOT to be a POI.....

lauriej said:
........very well thought out.........! exactly, if he went OUT the door, and came back IN again, after being in contact with "his 'hurt' wife "......of course there should/would be blood on BOTH sides of that door.......

...as Rooster has told us, LE knows all about raven's attempts at reviving janet etc....and LE obviously knows about the blood.........

...raven must have a darn air-tight alibi ??? for him NOT to be a POI.....

I know that they have not named Raven a POI, but you have to remember that they haven't said he wasn't either. To me the fact that they still haven't *cleared* him is a clear sign they consider him a suspect.

JerseyGirl said:
How convenient this all is for the murderer. I'm beginning to worry that this will become an unsolved crime. Someday, Kaiden has a right to know that justice has been served on the person that took his mother from him. :(

Yes, and if Raven is innocent, he also has a right to justice, and not to spend the rest of his life being called a murderer.

Timex said:
Yes, and if Raven is innocent, he also has a right to justice, and not to spend the rest of his life being called a murderer.

Exactly, charge him or clear him.

Timex said:
And to be able to somehow try to move forward from this. Here are some links that I found to possibly be helpful for those that are suffering from this type of situation. Friends as well as family may benefit from some of these:

ADM Publishing (listing of state-by-state support centers among web resources & other things.)

Resources (originally created for NM but helpful nonetheless.)

Home Page (I find the image at the top of the page to be, at best, in questionable taste so please be forewarned. Yet some of the links are quite valuable from what I can see.)

Timex said:
Lets look at what we assume they know...

1) Raven had affairs

2) Raven had embezzled form his employer..causing both he and Janet to lose thier jobs.

3) There were severe financial problems.

4) Janet had no known enemies

5) The crime was not random

6) No evidence of anyone else being in the house

7) Raven had blood on him when they arrived

8) He had a short temper

9) He admits to liking knives

10) He didnt appear to grieve appropriately at the funeral

11) He said gunshot instead of knife wound, even though he had been near the body

This is FAR more than they have in most cases. Far more than the standards needed to arrest.
#10 is out of line! Appropriate grieving? ...Look! I was there. It was appropriate. CONFIRMED by Rooster.

Rooster said:
#10 is out of line! Appropriate grieving? ...Look! I was there. It was appropriate. CONFIRMED by Rooster.

Rooster;

It may have appeared appropriate to you, but others have said it wasnt. You cant really confirm something like this.

golfmom said:
I know that they have not named Raven a POI, but you have to remember that they haven't said he wasn't either. To me the fact that they still haven't *cleared* him is a clear sign they consider him a suspect.
......i'm not cerain that right now we can definitely say one way or another if he HAS been cleared...HASN'T been....IS a POI or not.....b/c we haven't heard anything new from LE since way back in late april, shortly after the murder...

...he hasn't been arrested.............so LE must know something ? that we don't...

..or, as timex said.........he's lawyered-up........
..isn't talking....no polygraph......so maybe LE is waiting patiently to have something solid to make the arrest...

...with such a window re: TOD, a possible 4 hour time frame.....i agree with others.....TOD won't give us a thing here.........

...and so back to square 1 we go...........

..how do the citizens of a county /city apply pressure to ME / media in a case like this ?..i don't, but if i lived a block away from where this "not random' murder took place, ............47 days later ( and no news...no arrest.....)i'd be wanting some answers ..!

lauriej said:
......i'm not cerain that right now we can definitely say one way or another if he HAS been cleared...HASN'T been....IS a POI or not.....b/c we haven't heard anything new from LE since way back in late april, shortly after the murder...
My opinion is that if we haven't heard from LE since very shortly after the murder then Raven is still on the list of possible suspects only because I can't see how they could clear him so quickly. Not with all of the circumstantial evidence out there or unless they've found a "smoking gun" that points to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod