FL FL - DeLand, Male Skeletal UP12776, 18-25, in Garbage Bag, Mar'14

I meant it was the deputy who guessed, yes. Because even if the deputy was a trained forensics expert, s/he didn't have time to do a careful examination. Their guess might be more educated than yours or mine, and it might well be correct, but it was still a guess.

There are other circumstances that make me suspect the guess might be a correct one.

I totally agree about it not being Heather.

Slightly o/t, I remember recently there was the case out of AZ where a man who found remains in a plastic tote said it appeared to be those of a child, but it turned out to be an adult. Trying to remember the victim's name---she was found near Apache something...

Slightly o/t, I remember recently there was the case out of AZ where a man who found remains in a plastic tote said it appeared to be those of a child, but it turned out to be an adult. Trying to remember the victim's name---she was found near Apache something...

Jenika Feuerstein

She was found by two guys going shooting near Apache Lake. They said it looked like a child with dark skin, but Jenika was white and 19 years old (although she was very small at 4'11 - 5'0 and 90 pounds).

Jenika Feuerstein

She was found by two guys going shooting near Apache Lake. They said it looked like a child with dark skin, but Jenika was white and 19 years old (although she was very small at 4'11 - 5'0 and 90 pounds).

Thanks Migmuu :wave:

Even if they know who it is, or a long list of who isn't, there's no saying they'd release the information. They might have an investigation that would be jeopardized, or suspects they don't want to alert. Or maybe they just don't want to. Many LE organizations don't routinely release any information about any case.

I have some thoughts/ questions for my expert sleuthers. First, is this area rural? Is it residential or commercial? I ask because I wonder if a random garbage bag would be unnoticed, particularly if it had a smell (rotting things smell!). Also, even rural where I am, trees/shrubs/overgrowth is trimmed pretty regularly, so I doubt it was there for years. Next, can the average person identify the age range of a skull? Without muscle, tendons, fat, or skin, can we judge a size and give it an age? Finally, assuming a skull is female makes me think hair, clothing, accessories, etc. I've read numerous things stating hair doesn't take too long to decompose, especially with bugs, bacteria and such.

http://forensicsciencecentral.co.uk/anthropology.shtml

Site I've found to be an interesting read .. Mods, if not allowed, please delete! :)

I have some thoughts/ questions for my expert sleuthers. First, is this area rural? Is it residential or commercial? I ask because I wonder if a random garbage bag would be unnoticed, particularly if it had a smell (rotting things smell!). Also, even rural where I am, trees/shrubs/overgrowth is trimmed pretty regularly, so I doubt it was there for years. Next, can the average person identify the age range of a skull? Without muscle, tendons, fat, or skin, can we judge a size and give it an age? Finally, assuming a skull is female makes me think hair, clothing, accessories, etc. I've read numerous things stating hair doesn't take too long to decompose, especially with bugs, bacteria and such.

http://forensicsciencecentral.co.uk/anthropology.shtml

Site I've found to be an interesting read .. Mods, if not allowed, please delete! :)

It's pretty much rural there. There are a few houses a bit down the road from there but if an aroma was noticed by someone it could easily be fobbed off as being from an animal that got hit by a car and died in the woods. The body was dumped just off of International Speedway Blvd (hiway 92), which is the road that goes from Deland to Daytona (right past the Speedway). It was dumped off at the edge of, or just inside a heavily wooded area. The trees had recently been trimmed there, I'm assuming by the power company, which caused the bag to be easily visible. Prior to the trimming, it was probably hidden from view. If you go to mapquest or google and type in Oak Street, Deland, FL it will bring it up for you. Just go to the satellite view. The street on the other side of the hiway has a different name so you just have to look at the interestion of Oak and the hiway. I apologize for not being able to link it for you.

It's pretty much rural there. There are a few houses a bit down the road from there but if an aroma was noticed by someone it could easily be fobbed off as being from an animal that got hit by a car and died in the woods. The body was dumped just off of International Speedway Blvd (hiway 92), which is the road that goes from Deland to Daytona (right past the Speedway). It was dumped off at the edge of, or just inside a heavily wooded area. The trees had recently been trimmed there, I'm assuming by the power company, which caused the bag to be easily visible. Prior to the trimming, it was probably hidden from view. If you go to mapquest or google and type in Oak Street, Deland, FL it will bring it up for you. Just go to the satellite view. The street on the other side of the hiway has a different name so you just have to look at the interestion of Oak and the hiway. I apologize for not being able to link it for you.

:loveyou: thank you so much!!

Thank you!

Do you know how often they do that kind of trimming in that area? I'm thinking that it would be rather difficult to get through the vegetation to drop a garbage bag, so it was likely left some time after the previous trimming.

I know in New England it takes very little time for something like that to become obscured by vegetation. In the summer, native and invasive vines (oriental and native bittersweet, wild grape, blackberry, wild rose, Virginia creeper, ivy, poison oak, etc. etc.) grow over everything, and then in fall there's a thick coat of leaves over everything. By the following spring, you'd have to be digging or raking deep to find a garbage bag. It wouldn't just be sitting there. Would there have been a lot of that kind of undergrowth in that location, do you think, or would it just be overhanging branches obscuring the view?

Has there been any new updates on this? It is taking a long time.

Volusia county's medical Examiner is done with the Bones, They are not releasing the info they found as they have now sent the bones, as of April 3rd, off to the University of Florida's Forensic team. This tells me that they know who it is but they need more info as to possible cause of death or more. The fact that they are being so tight lipped about it also tells me that this is someone missing from an on going case and they don't want anything to slip out and mess up the case.

Exactly . . . we have a missing teen her in SC (Heather Elvis) and the people who are awaiting trial for her murder, visited FL a week or so after her disappearance. There is currently a gag Order in place, so we're now becoming more suspicious that they know it's her, but can't comment without the Judge's okay

It's so sad that someone's family waiting and wondering. I hope they get their answers soon.

I just keep checking for an update here. Why is it taking so long? Backlog?

I hope DNA can still be extracted from the bone marrow, then be run through the system.

I just keep checking for an update here. Why is it taking so long? Backlog?

I hope DNA can still be extracted from the bone marrow, then be run through the system.

At least you are not waiting all by yourself, you do have partners in pain here biting our nails waiting. :seeya:

I have a feeling that LE already knows the ID of the remains. Hope it's not just wishful thinking. :tantrum:

I wish they would say though, some family is waiting to find out as well :(

Sent from my Galaxy S4, using Tapatalk Blue.

It hasn't even been three months. For LE timescales, that's practically overnight.

If we hear something before fall, I'll be surprised.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yigerendelu032
Back