FL FL - DeLand, Male Skeletal UP12776, 18-25, in Garbage Bag, Mar'14

How did I miss all this? I remember signing up at the Texas Equusearch booth and going on the volunteer searches for little Haleigh. And I still think about Trenton Duckett and wonder where he is, but locals have always suspected the Ocala National Forest as to his whereabouts. Sure hope there's news soon. UF forensics does a wonderful job. A neighbor of mine earned her PhD in forensic entomology there. Her work was amazing and wonderful to hear about.

Since Trenton's mother is deceased, I hope they have other ways to check for him. I can't imagine not giving out info by now. Many labs/MEs are back logged, but this is over the top. If they know who this is, I hope they are going to announce an arrest soon, and that's been the reason this person has been lying in a lab.

There are other UID cases in this forum that have been waiting two to three YEARS for routine DNA information.

How did I miss all this? I remember signing up at the Texas Equusearch booth and going on the volunteer searches for little Haleigh. And I still think about Trenton Duckett and wonder where he is, but locals have always suspected the Ocala National Forest as to his whereabouts. Sure hope there's news soon. UF forensics does a wonderful job. A neighbor of mine earned her PhD in forensic entomology there. Her work was amazing and wonderful to hear about.

I just drove through that area last weekend- it was SO unbelievably gorgeous. I mean, really breathtaking. But I kept wondering how many bodies might be stowed away there.

Since Trenton's mother is deceased, I hope they have other ways to check for him. I can't imagine not giving out info by now. Many labs/MEs are back logged, but this is over the top. If they know who this is, I hope they are going to announce an arrest soon, and that's been the reason this person has been lying in a lab.

I'm sure they do sb. When little Trenton initially disappeared "through a window" LE was all over the place. I'm sure they have a toothbrush or comb, etc as the case developed. Also Trenton's Dad was, and I'm sure still is, working with LE to find his son and will do anything to help. It breaks my heart to see the 'what they would look like now' pics.

Just checking in to see if there's any news as well. When this was first reported it was mentioned the deputy stated he thought the remains to be that of a young girl. Because of that, I've kind of assumed it to be a child...someone who was between 5 to 10 years old. It was his use of the word "girl" instead of using "female". I could easily be reading too much into that though since I don't know the deputy and "girl" could be what he says for any female remains.

I am starting to question (to myself) why they have not released information as to whether UF agreed with the State ME when it comes to a basic profile. I've noticed in two other incidents that UF's findings were released within one to two months of receiving the remains. Maybe this is a case of silence being golden. I really hope so.

If the DNA sample was sent to the University of North Texas, as many from around the country are, there will be probably no results available until the end of the year, AT LEAST. Their backlog is huge and I've never heard of any case getting bumped to the front of the line there, no matter how high-profile.

Exhibit A, same county, November 2013:

http://beacononlinenews.com/news/daily/6589

A grave in Volusia County has protected a John Doe's secrets for more than 40 years. Now, the Cold Case Unit investigators of the Volusia County Sheriff's Office hopes to unlock some of those secrets. They have exhumed the body... The remains were taken to the C.A. Pound Laboratory, where DNA will be extracted and sent to a Texas lab for analysis.

It seems very likely that our Deland sample was also sent to UNT. And so we wait.

That said, a competent medical examiner should be able to estimate the age, race, and height of the deceased pretty quickly as long as the skull and at least one femur are present, so I have no idea why that info hasn't been released.

There are cases where the bone structure is ambiguous, and the younger the person, the more likely there's ambiguity, since many of the sex-differentiated structures don't really develop until puberty.

Still nothing huh? I keep coming back to Haleigh Cummings and I hope that the answers bring peace to a family soon.

A NamUs profile was created yesterday (6-29-14):
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/full_report/12776

The age is listed as "adult" but gender, race, height, weight etc. are all "unsure/cannot estimate."

"Wrapped in a pink bath robe, curtains, and a home-made mickey mouse print bed sheet."

I'm guessing the pink robe led investigators to think this was a female victim, but it sounds like the perp used whatever furnishings he/she could find to wrap around the body.

There's no mention of the trash bag in the NamUs report.

And while Disney-themed fabric is widely available at craft stores, it would be helpful to know what size bed the homemade Mickey Mouse sheet fit -- a twin bed, most likely a child's, or a larger size? Did the curtains appear to be from a child's room or another room of the house?

I agree with those who think LE is withholding some information, probably for good reason. In addition to virtually no information on the UID him/herself, there's no information about the manufacturer of the robe and curtains (tags) or the specific print on the bedsheet (which would be useful in determining how long ago the fabric was purchased and made into a sheet.)

Funny that I posted this yesterday and now it's entered in NAMUS.

I posted earlier that I was PM'ing with the Volusia County Sheriff's Office regarding the remains that were found in DeLand back in March.

I PM'd them yesterday again, looking for any information and got a reply this afternoon.

I asked for their permission to share the info and they said it was fine. I also spoke to a mod before posting.

Anywho, I have to paraphrase (can't C&P) so here goes.

The person told me that they obviously want to provide answers to the questions of who the remains belong to, how they ended up where they did, and how they died. Unfortunately, it often takes 6 months or more for the lab to complete their forensic analysis, so it will be quite some time before any answers will be had.

The last part of the message from the individual was that based upon what they know so far, they are "fairly confident" that it is not little Haleigh.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...leigh-Cummings-general-discussion-2014/page11

The age is listed as "adult" but gender, race, height, weight etc. are all "unsure/cannot estimate."

"Wrapped in a pink bath robe, curtains, and a home-made mickey mouse print bed sheet."

I'm guessing the pink robe led investigators to think this was a female victim, but it sounds like the perp used whatever furnishings he/she could find to wrap around the body.

And while Disney-themed fabric is widely available at craft stores, it would be helpful to know what size bed the homemade Mickey Mouse sheet fit -- a twin bed, most likely a child's, or a larger size? Did the curtains appear to be from a child's room or another room of the house?

I agree with those who think LE is withholding some information, probably for good reason. In addition to virtually no information on the UID him/herself, there's no information about the manufacturer of the robe and curtains (tags) or the specific print on the bedsheet (which would be useful in determining how long ago the fabric was purchased and made into a sheet.)

The mickey mouse sheet with the Moorer's love of Disney is interesting.

Well per NAMUS, dentals are available. I hope that is being used and checked. It seems that would be a quick check by a knowledgeable person. HOMEMADE Mickey Mouse bed sheet is interesting.

Well per NAMUS, dentals are available. I hope that is being used and checked. It seems that would be a quick check by a knowledgeable person. HOMEMADE Mickey Mouse bed sheet is interesting.
Wow, reading this new information I can't help but think about the Winnie the Pooh blanket and Caylee Anthony. I'm also hoping and assuming that LE checked out the Mickey Mouse camper's bedding during the investigation of Heather Elvis's disappearance and murder.

Disappointing that not even the gender has been determined, or the height either. Rather surprising. :waitasec::waiting:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NomDePlumme
Back