FL FL - Olof Tobias Hallin, 42, Endangered, vehicle abandoned in Palmetto, he was last seen at a Publix in Doral, 14 Nov 2023

Looks like he was (is?) a defendant in a fraud case with these guys, who were sentenced for firearms crimes and money laundering involving a Mexican cartel:

Gold Dealers Sentenced for Financial Crimes and Gun Crimes

Was thinking a guy "in international business finance" wouldn't have parked his car in that place if he was going to a business meeting, but now I'm wondering what kind of "business" was he doing?

My first thought was "Nicholas Francisco", then car-jacking. But the relative's wording is off to me like they're hiding something and the fundraiser is off too.
jmo

(Also it's SeekerS Advisors. Some Hong Kong company)
My one correction here is that Global Gold Exchange LLC (GGEX) is listed as a defendant, but Tobias is not directly listed or mentioned by name at all.

My one correction here is that Global Gold Exchange LLC (GGEX) is listed as a defendant, but Tobias is not directly listed or mentioned by name at all.
He is, in my first (dodgy) link, where it just says "fraud case".

Neary v. Global Gold Exchange LLC et al

eta: Can anyone decipher these things? Is the case ongoing or closed?

He is, in my first (dodgy) link, where it just says "fraud case".

Neary v. Global Gold Exchange LLC et al

eta: Can anyone decipher these things? Is the case ongoing or closed?
This one is a civil case for fraud. The federal case against the LLC etc has concluded, defendants were sentenced in 2021.

In the civil case, the last filing is:
"
Opinion or Order
Filing 98 PAPERLESS ORDER REFERRING Plaintiff's Amended Omnibus Motion for Final Default Judgment (DE #97 ) ("Motion"). THIS MATTER is before the Court sua sponte . Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 636 and the Magistrate Rules of the Local Rules for the Southern District of Florida, Plaintiff's Motion (DE #97 ) is REFERRED to United States Magistrate Judge Lisette M. Reid for a report and recommendation. Signed by Judge Kathleen M. Williams on 6/28/2023. (bja)"

A default judgment for the plaintiff suggests the defendant was a no-show in court, correct?

What about this case makes the missing person "endangered"? Maybe he is in need of seizure medication or the like- it's very concerning....

I'm completely unfamiliar with that part of the USA, is where he was last seen an area of note in any way? Lots of tourists? Popular with party goers? I have no clue.

Last edited:
Also, forgive me if this was mentioned before, but I live in Florida in the winters. If I'm going from Miami to Tampa for a business trip, I'm flying. It's not a fun drive. I wonder what the business was and what caused Tobias to choose to drive.

Also, forgive me if this was mentioned before, but I live in Florida in the winters. If I'm going from Miami to Tampa for a business trip, I'm flying. It's not a fun drive. I wonder what the business was and what caused Tobias to choose to drive.
That's a good question. Seems neither practical nor time efficient.

I'm wondering if the area where his car was found has anything to do with him being considered endangered (and the fact he left "personal items" behind)?

That's a good question. Seems neither practical nor time efficient.

I'm wondering if the area where his car was found has anything to do with him being considered endangered (and the fact he left "personal items" behind)?
With the history in the gold exchange business, I wondered if he was driving a quantity of gold that he didn't want to fly with. Except I'm not sure GGEX actually exchanged any gold. Sounds like it was strictly a money laundering business...

What about this case makes the missing person "endangered"? Maybe he is in need of seizure medication or the like- it's very concerning....

I'm completely unfamiliar with that part of the USA, is where he was last seen an area of note in any way? Lots of tourists? Popular with party goers? I have no clue.
I live nearby in Sarasota, about a 30 minute drive south. Palmetto, FL is a waterfront community with restaurants, RV campgrounds, mobile homes, rather rural, not heavily populated. An outsider, like a tourist, is typically easily to identify, sometimes by the way they act, dress, car tag, etc.

If this guy had visited this area in the past, he may have made connections related to his business. I suspect his business is probably the root of why he's missing. Maybe he was traveling with cash, gold, gem stones or something he wouldn't, or couldn't, take on an airplane.

Palmetto isn't a business hub like Sarasota, Tampa, Orlando. It's a dot on the map as you pass thru to get on I-275 to St. Pete or Sarasota.

I live nearby in Sarasota, about a 30 minute drive south. Palmetto, FL is a waterfront community with restaurants, RV campgrounds, mobile homes, rather rural, not heavily populated. An outsider, like a tourist, is typically easily to identify, sometimes by the way they act, dress, car tag, etc.

If this guy had visited this area in the past, he may have made connections related to his business. I suspect his business is probably the root of why he's missing. Maybe he was traveling with cash, gold, gem stones or something he wouldn't, or couldn't, take on an airplane.

Palmetto isn't a business hub like Sarasota, Tampa, Orlando. It's a dot on the map as you pass thru to get on I-275 to St. Pete or Sarasota.
I always appreciate when locals on a case are on a thread. We get info and insights of an area and culture that we wouldn't otherwise know. Thanks!

I finally got a chance to watch the videos and found where his car was left.
It's nearer to the vape shop and Bitcoin ATM than Peggys Corral. Where the red truck and three blue cars are parked (or possibly on the grass by the vape shop).
So if he parked it there himself with "personal belongings" inside, I'm thinking he was going to one of the addresses shown on the map.

Google street view

Map:
Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 17.33.29.png

I finally got a chance to watch the videos and found where his car was left.
It's nearer to the vape shop and Bitcoin ATM than Peggys Corral. Where the red truck and three blue cars are parked (or possibly on the grass by the vape shop).
So if he parked it there himself with "personal belongings" inside, I'm thinking he was going to one of the addresses shown on the map.

Google street view

Map:
View attachment 464596
what’s interesting is this places should have cctv and no footage of him leaving has surfaced. this part is odd for me especially in 2023. Honestly at this point (after the 1st 48) the outcome doesn’t appear favorable. There have been no sightings or searches (that i’ve seen). Still LEO has given nothing more in the way of a statement.

what’s interesting is this places should have cctv and no footage of him leaving has surfaced. this part is odd for me especially in 2023. Honestly at this point (after the 1st 48) the outcome doesn’t appear favorable. There have been no sightings or searches (that i’ve seen). Still LEO has given nothing more in the way of a statement.
Where's the nearest airport, train station, ocean port?

you would need a passport and identification to buy a plane ticket which the police could easily access, a train ticket you can purchase, but did he purchase with cash and the ocean….. Cubans do it all the time it’s 90 miles to Cuba he could have paid someone cash to take him to Cuba Puerto Rico, he could be in Mexico

Less cameras at the back of the shops but is that one on the lamppost if you zoom in? Do you have a link for "no footage of him"?
I thought the sheriff's spokesperson sounded pretty certain Tobias had left the car there himself ("What would cause somebody to walk away from their vehicle etc).
jmo

SRQ airport is 30 minutes south, by me. A train could probably be picked up in Tampa or Orlando. The port in Tampa is probably an hour east out of Tampa Bay.

As mentioned, he’d need ID. If he has connections, he could certainly get his hands on fake IDs. It would have had to be planned in advance.

There’s a marina near where he left his car. It’s possible he hitched a ride on a personal boat, rather than business vessel. Cash & a fake ID and he could be long gone.

SRQ airport is 30 minutes south, by me. A train could probably be picked up in Tampa or Orlando. The port in Tampa is probably an hour east out of Tampa Bay.

As mentioned, he’d need ID. If he has connections, he could certainly get his hands on fake IDs. It would have had to be planned in advance.

There’s a marina near where he left his car. It’s possible he hitched a ride on a personal boat, rather than business vessel. Cash & a fake ID and he could be long gone.
I'm thinking a fake ID would not be hard for this fellow to obtain, imo. I'm not limiting his possible movements based on having to show his proper ID.

jmo

This one is a civil case for fraud. The federal case against the LLC etc has concluded, defendants were sentenced in 2021.

In the civil case, the last filing is:
"
Opinion or Order
Filing 98 PAPERLESS ORDER REFERRING Plaintiff's Amended Omnibus Motion for Final Default Judgment (DE #97 ) ("Motion"). THIS MATTER is before the Court sua sponte . Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 636 and the Magistrate Rules of the Local Rules for the Southern District of Florida, Plaintiff's Motion (DE #97 ) is REFERRED to United States Magistrate Judge Lisette M. Reid for a report and recommendation. Signed by Judge Kathleen M. Williams on 6/28/2023. (bja)"

A default judgment for the plaintiff suggests the defendant was a no-show in court, correct?
Looks like it. Also, further down, he is not listed as having any representation, along with two of his co-defendants.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingi
Back