GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of comments on macon.com, about Judge Brown and his judicial temperament. I don't know the man, but I do know he just let a white collar criminal that admitted to embezzling $476,000 off with no jail time at all, only probation. Or maybe DA Winters did. However the judicial system works, it happened. I find it interesting he appointed himself, kind of egotistical if you ask me. I am betting trial won't begin until next year, although the child exploitation trial is supposed to have a conference January 10th and trial begin January 23 . I assume this will be continued. Happy New Year's Sleuthers ! :newyear: Going to be a long one for those who care about Lauren. Let's continue to pray for justice.

Was that Ramsbottom? Crooks and Cousins pobably

So, I keep thinking about the jewelry that DV mentioned in his interview with The Telegraph. He describes one of the pieces as "a silver-and-gold, intertwining rope bracelet."

After looking at some of her pictures on FB where she's wearing what I think is it...I think it's a David Yurman bracelet which is a quite popular jewelry designer with a recognizable rope style. There is a DY store at Lenox Square Mall in Atlanta that DV probably would have bought the gift at.

In earlier threads, people speculated that she could have lost it or it could have been stolen earlier. If it's what I think it is, it's very high quality, fine jewelry (i.e. not cheap). If she had lost her David Yurman bracelet, I'm sure she would have been pretty upset about it and would have told her mom or one of her friends. If it had been stolen, I'm sure she would have reported it to authorities. We know she called the police and reported her GPS device stolen in the past but no mention of reported missing jewelry.

If it had been stolen from her and the person had pawned it, they would probably be able to get a couple hundred dollars. I wonder if authorities have tried to search pawn shops or anything like that? Like I said, it would be very recognizable as a Yurman piece and anyone dealing or selling jewelry would be able to spot it from a mile away. I'm totally stereotyping but I don't think that brand would just walk into any old pawn shop in Macon everyday. I doubt McD would know what he had if he had stolen it from her or taken it off of her body to keep or sell.

Or the other terrible thought is that it's still with the rest of her body.

Sorry for the late-nite ramble folks...just wanted get it my idea off my chest...

So, I keep thinking about the jewelry that DV mentioned in his interview with The Telegraph. He describes one of the pieces as "a silver-and-gold, intertwining rope bracelet."

After looking at some of her pictures on FB where she's wearing what I think is it...I think it's a David Yurman bracelet which is a quite popular jewelry designer with a recognizable rope style. There is a DY store at Lenox Square Mall in Atlanta that DV probably would have bought the gift at.

In earlier threads, people speculated that she could have lost it or it could have been stolen earlier. If it's what I think it is, it's very high quality, fine jewelry (i.e. not cheap). If she had lost her David Yurman bracelet, I'm sure she would have been pretty upset about it and would have told her mom or one of her friends. If it had been stolen, I'm sure she would have reported it to authorities. We know she called the police and reported her GPS device stolen in the past but no mention of reported missing jewelry.

If it had been stolen from her and the person had pawned it, they would probably be able to get a couple hundred dollars. I wonder if authorities have tried to search pawn shops or anything like that? Like I said, it would be very recognizable as a Yurman piece and anyone dealing or selling jewelry would be able to spot it from a mile away. I'm totally stereotyping but I don't think that brand would just walk into any old pawn shop in Macon everyday. I doubt McD would know what he had if he had stolen it from her or taken it off of her body to keep or sell.

Sorry for the late-nite ramble folks...just wanted get it my idea off my chest...

That's my thought too
icon9.gif

posted just above re DV's gift of jewelry to Lauren=

Another way of looking at this --
if jewelry is w Lauren's other as yet unlocated remains, and either or both pieces are so distinctive, if more of her remains are located, esp. if away from Macon, the bracelet or necklace could be linked quickly to the case.

Maybe not so terrible from that viewpoint.

GypsiesT&T, that is some great sleuthing on the bracelet! If the one you saw her wearing in the pix is indeed the one DV talked about, its being so distinctive would have to be a good thing, IMO.

bbm: I was one who was saying that I would like to know that there was a friend's memory or even possibly a picture (or the Zaxby's video) of Lauren wearing one or both of the missing jewelry items very close to the time of her disappearance, since that would pretty much prove (to me) that it had not been stolen earlier and that she had not left it somewhere besides her apartment or even pawned it temporarily in a money-crunch moment, etc. -- and so would make the fact that it is missing even more significant, IMO.

I wasn't really meaning that it is most likely that one of the other things happened -- only that, if there is proof that she had it very close to the time of going missing, it is more likely that it might turn up (or, unbeknownst to us, has turned up already) in a way that will aid the investigation.

I agree with you and others that it (if not found in SM's apartment, etc.) could very well be wherever the rest of Lauren is. I think Oriah said earlier that that could add a new and perhaps helpful dimension to any searching.

GypsiesT&T, that is some great sleuthing on the bracelet! If the one you saw her wearing in the pix is indeed the one DV talked about, its being so distinctive would have to be a good thing, IMO.

bbm: I was one who was saying that I would like to know that there was a friend's memory or even possibly a picture (or the Zaxby's video) of Lauren wearing one or both of the missing jewelry items very close to the time of her disappearance, since that would pretty much prove (to me) that it had not been stolen earlier and that she had not left it somewhere besides her apartment or even pawned it temporarily in a money-crunch moment, etc. -- and so would make the fact that it is missing even more significant, IMO.

I wasn't really meaning that it is most likely that one of the other things might have happened -- only that, is there is proof that she had it very close to the time of going missing, it is more likely that it might turn up (or, unbeknownst to us, has turned up already) in a way that will aid the investigation.

I agree with you and others that it (if not found in SM's apartment, etc.) could very well be wherever the rest of Lauren is. I think Oriah said earlier that that could add a new and perhaps helpful dimension to any searching.

I think we established that no picture or video of Lauren at the Zaxby's drive thru had been made public but I do recall that it was confirmed through the news outlets that the video does exist and that they saw what was believed to be her arm extend out the car window to take her food. I know that the pictures that I'm talking about of her on FB wearing what appears to me to be a DY (or at least that style) bracelet was on her left wrist. Assuming that she always wore it on that arm, that would be the one you'd extend from your driver's side window to pick up food. Perhaps authorities could see that very bracelet in the video.

Alpine & Backwoods, you guys are right, the bracelet could be a key point wherever it is...with her to identify the rest of her remains....or maybe it's already been located and points to her killer.

That is interesting and I did not know that about Judge Brown.
I'd love to see McD's psych evaluation .
Is he mentally ill, or just plain evil ?
I think the latter, although there is no
doubt he has mental issues,
I do believe he knew right from wrong , if that
is a definition of mentally ill (incompetent) Upon reading the
attachments, the self-appointment of Judge Brown is not good
news for the prosecution , IMHO

According to his ramblings as SOL, I believe he is evil as well, HOWEVER, I also believe that those kind are definitely mentally ill. I know it's not one and the same in the court system. Anyone who harms another so cold heartedly is insane IMO

If a pawn shop had taken in an article such as the bracelet described, they would have a record of it- and if it was then purchased, they would have a DL# of the buyer as well. I would think it would be helpful -if the bracelet has not yet been recovered- for LE to release a statement (with photo) pertaining only to the item itself as being stolen. A pawn shop owner or employee might recognize it in their jewelry case?

If it was with Lauren's remains- I wonder if that may have been part of what LE was looking for in drainage, traps, and landfill? :(

OOOOOOh, that might compromise the investigation if they let the public in on something! Surely if LE had it in hand, boyfriend would know, but I think he said he didnt' know. So they probably don't have it. Maybe McD kept it and it got packed up with his other things since LE let everyone move out right away practically, not knowing jewelry was missing possibly and so now his mother can look for it and get rid of the evidence. :rolleyes: Not sure after news of such a horrendous crime, I as the friend would be thinking about the jewelry at that time (unless asked). But good point made, if with her parts it would be proof of her remains. Another thought is maybe the it was thrown in trash with torso or dumpster, and LE or family not knowing it or she was missing, got overlooked. Surely McD wouldnt' pawn it, he would know how that works, it's probalby most likely where her parts are, seeing how he was so confident in his endeavors, that she wouldn't be found.

I think we established that no picture or video of Lauren at the Zaxby's drive thru had been made public but I do recall that it was confirmed through the news outlets that the video does exist and that they saw what was believed to be her arm extend out the car window to take her food. I know that the pictures that I'm talking about of her on FB wearing what appears to me to be a DY (or at least that style) bracelet was on her left wrist. Assuming that she always wore it on that arm, that would be the one you'd extend from your driver's side window to pick up food. Perhaps authorities could see that very bracelet in the video.

Alpine & Backwoods, you guys are right, the bracelet could be a key point wherever it is...with her to identify the rest of her remains....or maybe it's already been located and points to her killer.

bbm: That is exactly what I am hoping -- that she was wearing her bracelet on her left wrist and reached out for the food with her left arm (or right wrist/right arm would work, too). Really hoping that maybe that bracelet was visible on her arm that day!

OOOOOOh, that might compromise the investigation if they let the public in on something! Surely if LE had it in hand, boyfriend would know, but I think he said he didnt' know. So they probably don't have it. Maybe McD kept it and it got packed up with his other things since LE let everyone move out right away practically, not knowing jewelry was missing possibly and so now his mother can look for it and get rid of the evidence. :rolleyes: Not sure after news of such a horrendous crime, I as the friend would be thinking about the jewelry at that time (unless asked). But good point made, if with her parts it would be proof of her remains. Another thought is maybe the it was thrown in trash with torso or dumpster, and LE or family not knowing it or she was missing, got overlooked. Surely McD wouldnt' pawn it, he would know how that works, it's probalby most likely where her parts are, seeing how he was so confident in his endeavors, that she wouldn't be found.

I had wondered "aloud" on here earlier, tomkat, if LE wouldn't inform the family if the jewelry was found in SM's apartment (or elsewhere), since it would basically be stolen property ... and someone pointed out that, even if it was found and LE told family, the boyfriend is not family, so ...?

I do remember that the family was asked to note anything that seemed to be missing or out of place in her apartment and/or anything there that shouldn't be.

Still kind of hope that (if jewelry wasn't recovered) LE checked out the AT&T building that SM was drawn into for recovery time during the media interview --holding tanks of toilets and such. Small jewelry items would be easy enough to carry away in a pocket, and easy to stash somewhere...and, if SM is the killer, he would have known by that point (after hearing a body had been found) that the heat was about to get turned up.

If a pawn shop had taken in an article such as the bracelet described, they would have a record of it- and if it was then purchased, they would have a DL# of the buyer as well. I would think it would be helpful -if the bracelet has not yet been recovered- for LE to release a statement (with photo) pertaining only to the item itself as being stolen. A pawn shop owner or employee might recognize it in their jewelry case?

If it was with Lauren's remains- I wonder if that may have been part of what LE was looking for in drainage, traps, and landfill? :(

Oriah, does it happen very often that metal detectors come into play in searching for remains?

I had wondered "aloud" on here earlier, tomkat, if LE wouldn't inform the family if the jewelry was found in SM's apartment (or elsewhere), since it would basically be stolen property ... and someone pointed out that, even if it was found and LE told family, the boyfriend is not family, so ...?

I do remember that the family was asked to note anything that seemed to be missing or out of place in her apartment and/or anything there that shouldn't be.

Still kind of hope that (if jewelry wasn't recovered) LE checked out the AT&T building that SM was drawn into for recovery time during the media interview --holding tanks of toilets and such. Small jewelry items would be easy enough to carry away in a pocket, and easy to stash somewhere...and, if SM is the killer, he would have known by that point (after hearing a body had been found) that the heat was about to get turned up.

I remembered that after I'd posted. Well boyfriend did state he didnt' know if LE had it. He may not know or he may be informed to keep it hush hush, for whatever reasons.

Yeah I remember you or someone asking where SMD went and if into the nearby building after "the body" interview and between interviews. Might have indeed dumped it inside/outside/flushed, whatever, and no one would know who's it was if found and wouldn't link him to it then I guess. Good thinking! :takeabow:

I always just kind of assumed he went to compose himself or vomit or something. But surely the "token" could have been in his pocket

bbm: That is exactly what I am hoping -- that she was wearing her bracelet on her left wrist and reached out for the food with her left arm (or right wrist/right arm would work, too). Really hoping that maybe that bracelet was visible on her arm that day!

If she was right-handed, I'd assume she'd wear bracelets or watches on her left wrist. Just moo because I think it's harder to write when wearing something on the wrist, and I thought she would maybe have been doing a lot of writing while studying for the bar.

Oriah, does it happen very often that metal detectors come into play in searching for remains?

Usually there's a known need, if you kwim- like a medic alert bracelet or necklace, an implanted metal fixative device, or something along those lines.

The jewelry has always been my thought in Lauren's case.

I like your theory, Backwoods. It's not uncommon for killers to keep personal items from their victims as souvenirs, and I see McD as the type who would hold onto a keepsake. If he was carrying it on his person, and feared being caught with it, that would have been the opportune moment to ditch it.

On the other hand, I tend to believe LE found it, or broken pieces of it. Remember all of the bags and boxes they carried out of his apartment? If the jewelry was in there, I don't see how they wouldn't have come across it. But if the jewelry is missing, I'd like believe LE would have made an announcement because it could provide a lead to her missing remains. In any case, I don't see him discarding of it unless, as you suggest, he was backed into a corner.

Looking at the map for other reasons this morning. Saw on mapquest a road named "Riverwood Industrial Rd" connected to Broadway (via Meade Rd) which leads to downtown macon. It meanders a mile or so I guess, it appears to deadend on the river............thought for one second it might be a cool place to check out, then thought better, it's secluded and probalby not safe. Wonder how long it would take McD to get there? 5 minutes?10 15 tops? Just thinking out loud STS

Looking at the map for other reasons this morning. Saw on mapquest a road named "Riverwood Industrial Rd" connected to Broadway (via Meade Rd) which leads to downtown macon. It meanders a mile or so I guess, it appears to deadend on the river............thought for one second it might be a cool place to check out, then thought better, it's secluded and probalby not safe. Wonder how long it would take McD to get there? 5 minutes?10 15 tops? Just thinking out loud STS

That's where Riverwood International is located (paper mill). The smell that drifts from that area is pretty bad. You might be onto something TomKat. That would be a good place to dispose of a body, since the odor is already pretty bad over there.

That's where Riverwood International is located (paper mill). The smell that drifts from that area is pretty bad. You might be onto something TomKat. That would be a good place to dispose of a body, since the odor is already pretty bad over there.

Ahhh, well, pretty sure I won't be venturing down there NOW for sure.......unless I were indeed looking for a body! I sure hope LE has considered a search there. Not sure they are searching anywhere or WHAT is going on at this point. BUT I DID have a little understanding today on cases such as these. Watching some Criminal TV and one Investigator stated: "WHen you lose control of the flow of information, you dont' know what you've lost............" It was about the Tara Grinstead case in south GA, Ocilla. TV crew started airing and meddling in this case and showing the home on tv, people started doing investigations on their own, not reporting information, outsiders who may have had information of importance virtually let it get inthe wrong hands and it bungles everything. You dont' know what you lose in those situations, as the investigator stated. I guess the average citizen doesn't know what is rumour and what is fact and stories get spinned/spun (sp?) and it virtually ends up in mass confusion. Makes sense why the hush hush on LG now. But I do hope the websleuths site is helpful with the investigation!

I did not know there was a paper mill in Macon. I thought they were all in SE GA because of our softwood (pine) trees. You are definitely right, McMunn, that the rotten egg sulfur smell from a paper mill could mask the smell of decomposition. The one in Savannah used to smell all the time until a group of people somehow forced it to install some kind of equiptment to clean the smell. At least I think that was what I read. Would one of those dogs that search for remains be usable around a paper mill?

Maybe Oriah could answer this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member