GUILTY IL - Lauren Lofquist, 8, murdered, Clarendon Hills, 26 March 2006

I have such a hard time reconciling myself to the fact that a parent could do such horrible things to their child(ren). I know it happens all the time and has probably happened since the beginning of time...I just cannot imagine...I mean he was her daddy and was there to protect her and nurture her...She was suppose to feel safe and loved. To put a child in a position like that and make him or her feel that they have no one to turn to. That a child should be afraid in their own home.

Let's face it, folks...until we stop coddling this creeps and start disposing of these blights upon humanity...then we humans need to be afraid to close our eyes. No one is safe anywhere!

I wish they'd let me evaluate him...

I was in the same boy scout troop with Neil. And I also saw him in college once at a party. That's the extent that I knew him. The thing that struck me about him was that he completely changed his personality when I saw him in college. He was a goofball in scouts. He was very weird. I remember him as being kind of funny, but the "laughing at" kind, not the "laughing with" kind. When I saw him in college he showed very developed social skills. He appeared to be very successful and smart. There was no sign of his "idiot" persona anymore.

asdf said:
I was in the same boy scout troop with Neil. And I also saw him in college once at a party. That's the extent that I knew him. The thing that struck me about him was that he completely changed his personality when I saw him in college. He was a goofball in scouts. He was very weird. I remember him as being kind of funny, but the "laughing at" kind, not the "laughing with" kind. When I saw him in college he showed very developed social skills. He appeared to be very successful and smart. There was no sign of his "idiot" persona anymore.

asdf, thanks for your post. I've pretty much heard the same things from others that knew him well. My experience with him was limited to the public pool in the summers, although I saw Lauren more often than that. When I did talk to him he did seem a little"not with it" I would say. Almost like he was in another world, but very nice. He was asking me all about what I was going to school for, etc. Now I'm trying to remember how he was acting during those summers around Lauren and her friends. I'm soooooo sickened by his actions along with everyone else on this board.

I feel awful that as a teacher I know what to look for with kids who could have been abused in any form and I never saw any signs with Lauren. Part of me feels that because it is such a good community I had a blind eye to it. Ignorance, I guess, because I just didn't think that stuff goes on with families like that in a community as picture perfect as that. I learned my lesson though and now I know, no matter how perfect the family seems you never know what's going on behind closed doors.

I'm definitely not buying into the insanity thing. I think he was always an "odd bird" and then just turned into a sick man. I think he was more worried about being the devil himself.

asdf said:
This is totally off-the-cuff, but to me, this says there was no psychoses in this guy at all, then.

Funny in the laughing-at sense may have meant he was odd and inappropriate, and worse, didn't seem to get it. Social nuances other kids were already aware of were still lost on him when you knew him first, is what it sounds like.

Then, when you knew him later, he'd developed a much more well-formed "mask of sanity."

I always refer back to Ted Bundy talking about how he got along fine with peers until about age 14, when he "hit a wall." That was when Ted's development and his conscience lost each other. He began developing that mask then. Bundy is always an extreme example, but I thought of it immediately when I read what you wrote, asdf. Something happens to psychopaths, who never do fit the legal definition of insanity, in puberty. I'm reading a really good book right now about all this, "Savage Spawn" by Jonathan Kellerman. Kellerman normally is a crime novelist, but he is a trained psychologist, and I highly recommend this short book to anyone interested.

Sounds like to me that Lofquist was a psychopath, perhaps, and had been molesting his daughter for some time, and perhaps she was getting old enough that she was going to tell. Now the "crazy" stuff is all a big dodge. Narcissism is core to psychopathy, and maybe Lofquist's daughter possibly telling on him combining with him having lost his "narcissistic fund" in the pottery shops, as running that business kept him in contact with people who would elevate him in some sense just because he ran the place -- all this coalesced when he killed the little girl.

If I were to make a prediction right now, it would be that Lofquist will need an absolutely brilliant lawyer and an immensely well-respected psychologist on his side to make any kind of insanity defense float. A truly good psychologist or psychiatrist will spot it if he's shamming these symptoms. Kenneth Bianchi is another example of a psychopath who tried to act insane to get out of doing real prison time.

I had a weird gut reaction to Lofquist's mug shot when I saw it. I rarely just react like that, without evaluating more of the story -- my first thought was I was looking at the face of an immensely arrogant, cold-hearted person. I could still be wrong, but so far, nothing is changing my mind.

Steve

misterallgood said:

If I were to make a prediction right now, it would be that Lofquist will need an absolutely brilliant lawyer and an immensely well-respected psychologist on his side to make any kind of insanity defense float. A truly good psychologist or psychiatrist will spot it if he's shamming these symptoms. Kenneth Bianchi is another example of a psychopath who tried to act insane to get out of doing real prison time.

I had a weird gut reaction to Lofquist's mug shot when I saw it. I rarely just react like that, without evaluating more of the story -- my first thought was I was looking at the face of an immensely arrogant, cold-hearted person. I could still be wrong, but so far, nothing is changing my mind.

Steve

Neil's attorney, Terry Ekl, has lived in the Clarendon Hills community(where the Lofquists lived) for quite awhile. I knew his daughter growing up. I was thinking that it is going to be hard to defend Neil and live and work in the same community that right now is pretty much disgusted with Neil.

Then I found this website by the Citizens for Legal Responsibility.
http://www.clr.org/terryekl.html

Citizens is in possession of a medical report on the emergency medical treatment of Carrie Ekl, wife of attorney Terry Ekl. The Medical Report states that she was injured by her husband, Terry Ekl, by his throwing a VCR tape at her, causing a head wound.

Further, in a letter written on "Elect Joe Birkett State's Attorney" letterhead, attorney Terry Ekl wrote his wife in which he admits of a tape recording wherein he made allegedly threatening phone calls to her.

According to a Clarendon Hills Police Department report, on July 25, 1994 attorney Terry A. Ekl's daughter, Tracy L. Ekl from his first marriage, appeared at the home of Carrie Ekl, the second wife of Terry A. Ekl, and proceeded to do criminal damage to the property of Carrie Ekl. According to the police report, attorney Terry A. Ekl was aware of the injuries upon his daughter due to her damage to Carrie Ekl's home.

On November 2, 1994 the law firm of Connelly, Ekl & Williams, P.C., who apparently represented Tracy L. Ekl in the court trial, DuPage County Circuit Court Case Number 94 OV 5306, made a payment to Carrie Ekl for damages to Carrie Ekl's home.

On June 28, 1998, criminal damage (reportedly a bombing of her automobile) of Carrie Ekl's automobile was reported to the Lombard Police Department. There is a great suspicion that husband Terry Ekl was probably involved in the criminal (bombing?) damage to the automobile.

On January 11, 1999, the records of the Clerk of the DuPage County Court showed that attorney Terry Ekl is behind on his court ordered payments for child support in the amount of $1500.00 plus arrearage charges. As an attorney, Terry Ekl should uphold the law, not show his disdain for the law and the judges of DuPage County.

I'm not sure if this website is legit because I really didn't have much time to research it. If this information is true then it doesn't surprise me that he would have the nerve to defend Neil in a community that has been distraught because of Neil's actions.

Does anybody know much about the Citizens for Legal Responsibility?

maiseyjane said:
Terry Ekl, Neil's original attorney, withdrew from the case because Lisa blocked Neil from any money to pay for an attorney. Good for her.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...424lofquist,1,5883636.story?coll=chi-news-hed

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=181327

I am glad to hear this. Blocking the money was one of the best things she could have done--I bet that was on good advice from an attorney.

maiseyjane, if all that information is true on Terry Ekl (your previous post), then I think he has some problems. I don't know anything about the site you got the information from, but maybe someone here will have the time to check court records.

Again, thanks for keeping us updated on this case.

I hope they let this excuse of a father out into general pop.:behindbar

Poor Angel...:(

Old Broad said:
Here's an update on this terrible case.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_174081747.html

The jury ruled yesterday that Lauren Lofquist's death on March 26 was a homicide caused by strangulation and drowning.

Her father, Neil, is charged with 21 counts of first-degree murder and two counts of predatory sexual abuse.

More at link.
Old Broad

That poor little girl. I don't understand the "21 counts" of first degree murder though, but anything that will keep him locked up until the gates of hell open up for him though is fine with me.

I can't get to the article you've posted, but he IS being charged with sexual abuse. I think the autopsy is to show what she DIED by and molestation isn't one of the causes of death.

<SNIP>

"Her father, Neil, is charged with 21 counts of first-degree murder and two counts of predatory sexual abuse"
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_174081747.html

maiseyjane said:
Autopsy of slain girl doesn’t show evidence of molestation, inquest reveals

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/dupagestory.asp?id=202129&cc=d&tc=obr&t=Oak%20Brook

I hate to even post this, but could he have been forcing her to perform oral sex on him in the past (maybe not the night of her murder)? That wouldn't show as sexual trauma during the autopsy.

He did confess to molesting her and he is being charged with that.

SewingDeb said:
I hate to even post this, but could he have been forcing her to perform oral sex on him in the past (maybe not the night of her murder)? That wouldn't show as sexual trauma during the autopsy.

He did confess to molesting her and he is being charged with that.

I hesitated to post but you would be correct.

concernedperson said:
I hesitated to post but you would be correct.

So, it is possible that she had been molested in the past and nothing would show in the autopsy. I guess he described what he had done to her in his confession....

I say a prayer for Lars and Lisa every night...this case just breaks my heart. Lars loses a sister and a dad and momma Lisa will never be the same. I can't even imagine the momma's pain and it will never leave her...

I just saw this guys mug shot and I agree with the gentleman who mentioned his appearance. Usually in a mug shot you see a little shock, grief, remorse, surprise you name it, but in his he looks so cool and almost appears to be sneering. It's hard to explain, but I know I have seen that look in other mug shots of people who were just so cold hearted. It's almost like 'how dare you you do this to ME, I am so superior, I will be out of here in no time'

Neil Lofquist tried to commit suicide by jumping off a weight machine head first while working out at the jail.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=202931

The Clarendon Hills father accused of killing his first-born child remained hospitalized Monday after attempting to commit suicide in jail.

Neil J. Lofquist, 41, was listed in serious condition for a cracked skull and spinal injury at Central DuPage Hospital in Winfield. His injuries did not appear life threatening, officials said.

Details were sketchy, but attorneys in the high-profile criminal case confirmed Lofquist climbed a weight machine while working out Monday in the DuPage County jail and intentionally plunged head first onto the hard floor.

Deputies have kept an unpredictable Lofquist under a stepped-up watch since he arrived in the Wheaton jail three months ago. Still, the incident was considered his first serious attempt at suicide.

He isn't going to get off that easily! If I were him I wouldn't be in to big a hurry to meet my maker. He thinks his life is bad now...this is a picnic compared to where he'll be going and it ain't through the pearly gates either :furious:

Did he plead guilty or has he even entered a plea yet? He must have. I just feel so bad for his wife. She probably thought their life was just about perfect and then it turned upside down. I wonder how long he had been sexually abusing his little girl? How hard for a wife to find out that she really didn't know the man that she had been married to for a number of years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back