Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if this has been discussed, not able to read the thread yet. I did a search on the words but nothing came up, so I'll post anyway.
One interesting thing here is that since this was captured with extremely sophisticated equipment for recording seismic behavior and activity. This is the strongest earthquake ever recorded and it will reveal lots of information and this quake will be studied for years to come. I know it is hard to find a silver lining in this chaos, but at least there is the ability to save lives in the future with the information they will glean from this tragedy.

no, superman can fly away from the cloud of radioactive stuff. He'll be fine. Images of godzilla, rhodan, and various other megamonsters have crossed my mind, however.

Seriously, though, i'm hearing of a new eq in tonga - which is a very active zone, so not unusual - but what is unusual is the timing.

If radiation has leaked out, we'll know soon enough. Will we be told? Dunno...but either we already know, or will know shortly...

Best-
herding cats

Godzilla!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Now, a 6.8 off shore of Honshu, Japan.

See, this kind of thing is worrisome to me. Granted, I think I'd expect to see a whole lot of "settling" in the area, because an 8.9 is a huge, huge quake, affecting many hundreds of thousands of square miles of undersea land.

I'll hold onto hope that this really is just settling...rather than anything else.

Best-
Herding Cats

CNN is saying that the most recent 6.8M is an aftershock, others are saying that it's another quake. Can anyone confirm either way?

I am not sure if this has been discussed, not able to read the thread yet. I did a search on the words but nothing came up, so I'll post anyway.
One interesting thing here is that Japan has extremely sophisticated equipment for recording seismic behavior and activity. This is the strongest earthquake ever recorded and it will reveal lots of information and this quake will be studied for years to come. I know it is hard to find a silver lining in this chaos, but at least there is the ability to save lives in the future with the information they will glean from this tragedy.

I was thinking about that. And yes, there will be a whole lot to learn from this, in many, many areas...it will be quite interesting to see/hear/learn what they conclude.

however, I think it also points to the fact that no matter how sophisticated a society is, no matter how prepared (and Japan is very, very well prepared), serious destruction will occur with a huge earthquake like that.

But yes, the silver lining is that we will learn things which will save lives. And that is a blessing indeed.

Best-
Herding Cats

If memory serves, there were numerous major aftershocks and quakes after the Indonesia tsunami, so this may not be unusual.

CNN is saying that the most recent 6.8M is an aftershock, others are saying that it's another quake. Can anyone confirm either way?
I have heard it reported several places as a new quake.

Here is a link to a good USGS map. It does not say if it's an aftershock, or a new quake. To me, they're the definitive experts.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/145_35.php

Red lines - not red squares, but the long lines - are known "major" faults.

What is intriguing is that, like what happened in 1994 in Northridge, sometimes a fault is discovered when it ruptures, and not before. What is interesting about this area is, if you look around on the map (click the blue arrows to move 10* that direction), you'll note that this is in a cross of three major fault lines.

I would expect, then, that that this is either a new fault (and rupturing due to pressure from displacement earlier), or a quake that is an aftershock due to settling from land and water, and adjusting because of pressure. However, I don't know which it is.

Best-
Herding Cats

As long as it's not a fore shock-- they had a couple of days of 6 and even a 7 before this 8.9. Frightening thought.

eta: CNN is doing a Piece called Countdown to Meltdown... yikes.

If memory serves, there were numerous major aftershocks and quakes after the Indonesia tsunami, so this may not be unusual.
Yes, there were. In the 1994 quake in Northridge, we had aftershocks (emanating from the same fault line) almost 5 years later.

From what I've read and heard, the undersea land was displaced 150 miles long x 50 miles wide in some areas. That's a HUGE area to be considered "epicenter". We can expect lots and lots of aftershocks, most in the 6-7 range, for the first week or so.

Over the next few weeks, they will both lessen in frequency, and be lower magnitude.

Frankly, historically, this quake has had far fewer aftershocks than I would have expected. There are only 180 on the map (which changes on a 7-day basis) at this time; it's been my experience that there were thousands of aftershocks to some quakes, and multiple hundreds (not 180ish...I mean, 4-500) of aftershocks in others.

If I am correct in my memory, this tells me that we may not have seen the last of the shaking (huge number kind of shaking), and that if the little ones (little in contextuality, not reality) don't pick up in numbers, the risk is greater for a "lock" or "break/slip" to happen.

A "lock" is when one plate exerts tremendous pressure on another plate, but there is no release; over time, the lock literally will break down, and generally a huge quake is the result. The San Andreas Fault, near me, is "locked". You can see the "elbow" north of Los Angeles; it literally bends. A locked quake ends up as a thrust quake, which has significant up/down displacement.

A break/slip is, simply, an earthquake. It's a type of earthquake, though, that isn't quite as violent as what I suspect the Japan quake was, and what I know the 1994 quake was. The break/slip is a type of quake which slides past each other, but doesn't move earth up/down as much.

I would rather a break/slip to a lock/thrust any day of the week. They tend to be smaller, more gentle (lots of side to side) motion, and are more easily survived. I've been in both, several times each, and while I know that it's sorta splitting hairs, I sure would rather the side to side than the up and down...

BTW, USGS states that the 6.8 is a new - NEW - quake. Confirmed by Fox.

Best-
Herding Cats

When the nuclear plants lost power, they switched to backup diesel generators, and then to battery backup, which is only going to work for a limited time. they are attempting to bring in the more generators or somehow get the a better power supply.

There are now two seperate evacuation areas, one is 10 km around one plant and 3 km around another, and controlled releases are going on in order to try and keep the pressure down.

Death toll is confirmed at at least 1000, per CNN speaking of an interview with a Japanese government official, but there are no truly official numbers.

Video of the tsunami from Crescent City, California. Crazy to see the tide pull out and then rise up so quickly. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. (AKA Don't be stupid.)

[video=youtube;Y3AFnbkLmiI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3AFnbkLmiI[/video]

Didn't know if this has been posted:

Technical experts said the plant would presumably have hours, but probably not days, to try to stabilize things.

Leonard S. Spector, director of the Washington office of the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies, said loss of coolant is the most serious type of accident at a nuclear power plant.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/11/japan-issues-emergency-nuke-plant-leak/#ixzz1GM5GZufg

I grew up less then 15 miles from two nuclear facilities: the Savannah River Plant (bomb plant) and Plant Vogtle (energy). This has always been one of my fears - a nuclear disaster - so I pray for those people over there. And for the workers who have to remain inside to try to keep things under control. The radiation levels are extremely high inside those plants right now...

http://www.statesman.com/news/world/emergency-declared-at-5-japanese-nuclear-reactors-1315547.html

This article says that there is now a state of emergency at five reactors in two plants.
They also say that the radiation is only 8x that of normal outside the plant, but that the levels of 1000x nornal were detected inside the plant, in a control room. On top of the evacuations, people up to 16 miles away are being told to stay in their homes and not go out until they get the all clear.

If core temps in the reactor reach 2000 degrees, it could set off a chemical reaction that could end in an explosion due to hydrogen reactions when they do get water flowing back in to cool the core. If that core temp reaches 4000 degrees, the core could melt, pretty much literally, and there is doubt that the building and containment facilities would withstand that. If that containment is breached, the full force of the radiation will be released and that is what they consider a melt down (I think.)

The Today Show is covering the tsunami warnings on the west coast right now, for anyone interested.

If everyone could please say a quick prayer for my parents who are on a cruise set to port in San Diego this morning but they can't, so the cruise is going to be in the ocean during the tsunami warning.

My prayers are with all those effected. This is so sad :(
KaylynnCouture,

Just saw this article, and thought you'd want to read it:

http://www.10news.com/news/27167240/detail.html

Cruise Ship's SD Arrival Delayed Due To Tsunami
Carnival Spirit Now Docked After Coming From Mexico

POSTED: 2:33 pm PST March 11, 2011
UPDATED: 4:12 pm PST March 11, 2011

>>>snip

...The Carnival Spirit, returning from a voyage to Mexico, decided to wait offshore "in an abundance of caution," said Jennifer de la Cruz, the company's director of public relations...

<...>

..."We opted to act very conservatively in the interest of safety," she said, adding that the ship docked safely at 11 a.m...

<<<snip

Best,

coastal

OMG - (and yes I'm still up)

Just turned on FOX and there was an explosion at one of the nuclear plants. They have it on tape - and its a BIG explosion.

They are saying that this explosion was probably the outter building - but who the hello knows.

I do know this can't be good. But what does it mean for the rest of us?

OMG - (and yes I'm still up)

Just turned on FOX and there was an explosion at one of the nuclear plants. They have it on tape - and its a BIG explosion.

They are saying that this explosion was probably the outter building - but who the hello knows.

I do know this can't be good. But what does it mean for the rest of us?

Hey there WOO,

Not good for Japan. I'm not sure what the end result will be. I don't think it will effect the USA but will be similar to Chernobyl. I'm wondering if there's enough people left at the plant to control the other 3 reactors.

Video of the explosion at 46 seconds. I think we are going to see a full meltdown at reactor one.

[video=youtube;pg4uogOEUrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4uogOEUrU[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member