LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any Proof that Shane's brother called him? Or that Shane called his brother? Like did the police check Brent's Phone to see if Brent had gotten a call from or had placed a call to, Shane?

:rose: Shane is our current featured cold case :rose:

This is so cool! I was thinking about messaging you and asking you if he could be the featured cold case! Do you think that we could get a banner announcing it on the homepage/top of page?

This is so cool! I was thinking about messaging you and asking you if he could be the featured cold case! Do you think that we could get a banner announcing it on the homepage/top of page?

I'm pretty sure that comes up within a day or two. If you don't see one by Wednesday, send me a note and I'll look into it for you. ;)

Is there any Proof that Shane's brother called him? Or that Shane called his brother? Like did the police check Brent's Phone to see if Brent had gotten a call from or had placed a call to, Shane?

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Family-keeps-hopes-high-in-search-for-missing-man-123772869.html

It states in this article that Shane was Coherent after the accident while talking to his brother. Apparently (from what I gathered) Shane's brother was the one who first discovered that he was not with the vehicle, he was the one who was called to come get Shane.

Also they mention the Celotex building being where the site of the crash was near. Fortunately for us, CNN posted the address of the building for us.
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-441516

Being able to tell where on River Rd he was more accurately..will help me get a "lay of the land".

So we're looking in the neighborhood of 4th St and River Road. IMHO Edit: $th street and river road run parallel to one another, however; if you click this link: it should be the exact other side of the celotex building ON river road. You can clearly see "Dead Man's Curve" https://www.google.com/maps/place/7...2!3m1!1s0x8620a48d31881dd9:0x7208ac8f3d4fae41

I can see that the Celotex plant was knocked down...
I wonder what crazy stunts a head injury could talk you into doing? There's a pub on 4th street..directly across from the Old Plant..
I wonder if he could have tried to go through the fences to cut to 4th and go to the pub..maybe lost his sense of direction in between? Or that his brother would probably go there instead?
I don't know.. Just thinking things through. lol JMHO

I have been reading up on this case for Shane Fell. I watched the episode of The UneXplained from the biography channel last night. the preview can be seen on youtube. it includes the 911 call made by a passerby. It was said when he talked to his brother Brett shortly after the accident he stated he was not injured and seemed coherent, knowing where he was. However looking at the pictures of the car I have to think that after his phone call he could have developed swelling of many parts of his body, including his brain.
I snipped the pictures from you tube and put them in a still below.

picture.php

OK, I am so confused. I have read some conflicting information.

1. Where did this accident happen. Some sources say Barataria Blvd and River Road, Some say Marrero Road and River Road and I just read a third Klein and River Road. I am trying to get a map visual of his route but am confused to where exactly the accident happened. Can someone clarify the location of where the Car and Shoe were found?
2. Did Shane call Brett or did Brett call Shane? Most say that Brett called Shane but I read one article that states Shane called Brett. I assume police have phone records of this, when was that call made?
3. One article I read stated that Shane was looking into leaving the crash site. But Brother Brett said He was not looking to leave he was waiting on Brett to pick him up at the site of the crash.

picture.php

If the curve is number 4 and the car was found at 1
and if the curve is number 4 and the car was found at 2
both seem like that is a long ways for the car to travel flipping after making that curve.
Hitting the curve at 5 and ending up at 2 is more plausible in my mind.

Either way it seems that home was in Harvey, LA. East of where the crash was. The question that really needs to be answered is what brought him to that area of River Road?
Friends? Lover? Dealer?

Which way was he traveling on River Rd? If he was headed East he was headed somewhere other than home. If he was headed west He stopped somewhere before he was headed home.

Interesting case. Two immediate notions/possibilities come to mind immediately:

1) He was able to talk on the phone immediately following the accident but perished from internal injuries shortly thereafter and simply has not been found. (It is *really* hard to find people outdoors. He could have thumbed a ride, gotten out of the car and then perished somewhere further away....)

2)Statistically, men run due to money problems. Did he owe lots of back child support or anything like that?

Prayers to his family; the clip on the news of his brother was heart wrenching.

Slightly o/t, I was reminded of Shane's case (and others, Jamisha Gilbert, etc)

A friend of mine was recently involved in a serious car accident. He survived with some injuries, including a concussion. He was found wandering around the streets after the accident; he has no recollection of this. He said he was told he was acting like he was drunk. It took days for this fog to fade.

Does anyone recall the case of a young man, newly engaged, on leave from Afghanistan
who had neen celebrating in downtown Savannah. or Charleston at a hotel. He had called his father to come pick him up as he'd had too much to drink. When the father arrived, he was gone. After many weeks of searching, they found him in a maintenance closet that housed the fans. Unfortunately, he had been cut by the fans and had perished inside the room. He was discovered only when a maintenance worker went inside to do maintenance.

When I first looked at the scene of Shane's accident and saw all the refinery's, that was my first thought. He sought a place where he could safely wait for.his brother and went into
a place he couldn't exit from. Or was somehow hurt or incapacitated while in there.

seems like he tried to commit suicide, it failed and he ran off to end his life.

Which way was he traveling on River Rd? If he was headed East he was headed somewhere other than home. If he was headed west He stopped somewhere before he was headed home.

I messed this up. Which way was he Driving on River Road? If he was headed east he was headed home. If he was headed west he was headed somewhere else. If he lived in Harvey, it is east of where he was. This area doesn't seem like the way to his home at all from where he was with his brother drinking. So where was he really headed and why? Was he meeting someone in that area? Did he have a significant other? Did he make any other phone calls after he talked to his brother? Or any calls made since he left the bar? If he had been going to meet someone maybe that person picked him up?

The psychic in that show The UneXplained that did a story on Shane seems to think he is still living out in the woods as a homeless man.
I don't know what to make of that information either. The homeless man she talked to said he had a scar on his chin. However there were many posters and flyers all over town. So its hard to believe he actually has met him. Had the homeless man said he likes to make Origami flowers or something more personal it would be easier to believe him. And what would he be so ashamed of that he couldn't talk to his brother? He did tell the brother he was in the accident, so I don't think that would be the source of his shame. I Don't know.

If he wasn't picked up by somebody, whether someone he knew or not, and he is not a homeless man in the woods. The other scenario would be what? He was driving down a road the wrong way from his house because he had to much to drink. Was speeding when he hit whatever curve on that River Rd. and flipped his car. After climbing out of the car and talking to his brother, he heard the sirens and decided to take off and hide somewhere. While hiding under a porch, somewhere in the wooded area by the river or where ever he could fit his body to be unseen till the police left the scene, he turned off his phone so he didn't get caught. With the police arriving, he didn't have the time to call his brother back and tell him he was hiding. While waiting for the scene to clear, the adrenaline ran out, and the internal injuries set in and he passed away where he was hiding. The reason he sounded okay to his brother when he talked to him was because he was still somewhat drunk and that adrenaline was in full gear.

And my biggest question would be why was he in that part of town in the opposite direction from where he lived? Cause the drunk driving away from home on accident just don't sound right to me.

These are just my thoughts, opinions and questions. Take em' or leave em'. Smiles

Does anyone recall the case of a young man, newly engaged, on leave from Afghanistan
who had neen celebrating in downtown Savannah. or Charleston at a hotel. He had called his father to come pick him up as he'd had too much to drink. When the father arrived, he was gone. After many weeks of searching, they found him in a maintenance closet that housed the fans. Unfortunately, he had been cut by the fans and had perished inside the room. He was discovered only when a maintenance worker went inside to do maintenance.

When I first looked at the scene of Shane's accident and saw all the refinery's, that was my first thought. He sought a place where he could safely wait for.his brother and went into
a place he couldn't exit from. Or was somehow hurt or incapacitated while in there.

Such a sad story about Robert Hornbeck Razz:

If anyone would like to know more:

http://savannahnow.com/stories/042806/3826608.shtml

I feel that Shane must be close by to where the accident happened. My brother was behind a friend who had a head-on collision and got out to help his friend who appeared fine and refused medical care. Not ten minutes after the ambulances left, and just 20 minutes after the accident, he fell to the ground on the side of the road, right in front of my brother, and died of internal injuries. I think a situation like this may have happened with Shane, from the pictures of his car, the driver's side windshield damage looks very bad :( I hope he can come home to his family soon.

While I try not to be negative, I should think it's fairly certain this young man indeed went in the water. Obviously injured (possibly intoxicated?), he left a shoe behind. Why leave the scene of the accident unless you are intoxicated? Very sad. I pray for peace and closure for the family.

I have finally pin pointed the actual site of Shane's accident. The car was not found at any intersection. It was between Klein St and Marrero Rd on River Road. The car was east of what they call Dead Man's Curve, So I suppose that means he was driving East on River road away from Klein St towards Marrero Road. I found the location after I brightened the picture and saw the lil curve in the fence and the poles behind the car. Thanks to google maps I walked the fence and found where these landmarks are. The fences are chain linked with barbed wire tops, all the way through from Klein to Marrero. I don't see him trying to climb any of these fences to hide out and wait for his Brother Brett. The only places I see to hide, if he had been hiding is that wooded area over the little hill at the bank of the river.

picture.php

I don't think he headed straight home when he left his brother at Rum Runners (was the bar they showed in Unexplained episode). He had to have stopped somewhere over in that area of Klein and River Road for him to be heading east at the time of the accident. Who ever he did meet up with it was a quick encounter. 5 - 10 mins. Who did he meet and did whoever it was witness the accident? If foul play is involved I'd have to wonder if the person he had met up with had something to do with it. Or maybe even helping in hiding him out.

Interesting case. Two immediate notions/possibilities come to mind immediately:

1) He was able to talk on the phone immediately following the accident but perished from internal injuries shortly thereafter and simply has not been found. (It is *really* hard to find people outdoors. He could have thumbed a ride, gotten out of the car and then perished somewhere further away....)

2)Statistically, men run due to money problems. Did he owe lots of back child support or anything like that?

Prayers to his family; the clip on the news of his brother was heart wrenching.

To your #2 point....I don't know anything about his financial situation BUT if he had financial problems, it wasn't due to owing back child support. Shane did NOT have any kids.

seems like he tried to commit suicide, it failed and he ran off to end his life.

For whatever reason, suicide has never entered my mind in this case. I've always assumed he either was confused from head injuries from the wreck and/or alcohol and that he may have been trying to flee or hide from the police so he didn't get a DUI. Then something happened.

His family believes he is likely out there, living as a homeless man selling origami flowers. I hope this is the case.

However, I unfortunately feel it's likely he is somewhere close to the crash site and just wasn't found or he went into the river. TexasEquusearch did search for Shane. I know they focused a lot on the river, but I'm sure they had to search the wooded area directly across from the crash site (Right?). I have heard many times of searches being done of the same areas over & over and something being found on the second or third search. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to search that area again.

Also, I find it weird that his shoe was stuck in the mud but apparently there werent any footprints in the mud that showed in which direction he fled....

As for him traveling away from the area where he lived, I don't think that necessarily means he was going to see someone or up to something nefarious. I think he just could have been drunk and turned the wrong way.

What I think, He met someone after leaving that bar and his brother. Whether or not its relevant is unknown. Since we don't know anything from the approximate time he left Rum Runners. which was stated by Brett about 12:20am to the time the 911 call came in at 12:58am.

It is said Brett phoned him as they often did to make sure he had made it home. Brett said Shane was frantic and said he had flipped his car, But that he wasn't injured. From what I have gathered Brett lives about 15-20 mins away from the bar. Shane lived about 10-15 mins away from that same bar. Had Shane headed straight home after leaving he would have been home before his brother Brett. Both men lived east of Barataria Blvd in which Shane was last seen by Brett. Brett said that he told Shane that he was going to get in trouble since he had been drinking, to wait for Brett to pick him up. It was said also that he didnt seem like anyone was chasing him. However I have to wonder how FRANTIC he really was. Or if anything else was talked about. Like why he was in that area, if anyone was with him? Were any other calls made or received that night after Brett talked to Shane? Did they check his phone records for whom he may have been meeting up with prior to the accident and after leaving the bar. How can we be so sure he wasnt with someone or someone following him back to his place from where ever he had been. This question of where he actually went that night. Where ever it was it couldnt have been a long meeting. So he either picked something up, (possibly illegal something) which would give him another reason he wouldnt want the cops to find him. Or he picked someone up that was possibly following behind him in their own car. Secret lover maybe? Perhaps he met the lover and they quarreled so he took off like a bat out of hell. Worried the lover followed but wasn't right behind him. Coming across him shortly after Brett spoke with him. What time was this call made by Brett? Brett didn't not arrive on the scene before the police and other crews did, and Shane was no where to be seen.

In that episode of UneXplained it shows the bar, Rum Runners, and the police 911 transcripts and part of the call that was made by the passerby. The 911 transcripts state: Created 12:58am 6-10-2011, Entered 1:00am 6-10-2011, Dispatched 1:01am 6-10-2011, Enroute 1:02am 6-10-2011, Onscene 1:05am, and closed 2:15am 6-10-2011. THe caller says that there is a car turned over on River Road. The operator asks if anyone was still in the vehicle and the caller responded that the windshield wipers were still on. Transcripts also state that it was commented that it was a Pontiac sedan. The way the car was positioned and seeming kind of dark in that area. How did the caller know the windshield wipers were on? Makes me think the caller got out and looked at the vehicle closer before calling 911. Was it raining that night? Were the wipers still on when the police arrived? The transcript also mentions something about the family and the telling them he was fine. I assume this is when Brett arrived and let the cops know that he had called and talked to Shane shortly after the accident. This was documented by the police at 1:09am.

By the infromation about the relative talking to Shane and him being fine mentioned in the report at 1:09am, I suspect that Brett called his brother sometime between 12:40 when he would have gotten home, to 12:58am when the 911 call was made. He had at tops 18 mins to get away from the scene. Since the 911 called didnt see him outside of the car either. However had he still been in the car at 12:58am he had about 7 minutes to get away before the cops arrived. Someone said that there were no foot prints just his car with most everything in it and a lone black dress shoe stuck in the mud near the car. If it was raining that might be why there were no foot prints around. simply washed away. It was said the brother found the shoe, But when did he find it. Was it that night. or later searches. Had the lil ditch been filled with water when he lost it might be why he didnt go looking for it. In what location of the car was it found? Did he possibly lose it coming out the passengers side window? or after walking around the car accessing the damage? Or did he lose it when he decided to ditch the scene?

I still think there is something more to this story that was unknown even to his Brother. They should really be looking for who ever he met that night. The reason he was in that area at all west of where his home was. Cause people don't just vanish into thin air. And searches of the area has produced no signs of him or clues. Maybe the person who he was with after the bar and prior to the accident would have some clue of where he may have gone or why he would run, if he hasn't passed away.

Additional notions that come to mind....

Was it a road rage incident? Did someone come back? Is there any evidence of someone walking and being struck?

Did he have any known criminal activities going on....did he owe someone money? Who was he talking to at the bar? The bar is the key to solving this. Someone isn't telling the whole story, and with all respect...I think he's brother might know more than he is telling?

Pure speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member