MD MD - Judith 'Judy' O'Donnell, 19, Baltimore, 30 Nov 1980

JudysSisterMaureen, I saw your shout out on the Meet the Missing section of the Disappeared website. How has it gone with Disappeared for you?

I haven't ever been able to make Judy's story quite compelling enough. Though, the last conversation I had with them was a good one -- more about the technology developed in the wake of 9/11/01 and DNA sampling that has made so many other things possible, including the whole NAMUS project -- VERY encouraging for the families of the missing.

But, alas, we're not there yet. Any poking, prodding, calling, whatever-ing you are willing to do is appreciated!!

I picture a film/documentary with a title something like ."The Lost Girls of Studio 54" to highlight your sister's (and others) stories who "lost their way" in that heady time.
Wondering if any other girls have a similiar connection to that place and time (perhaps friends of Judy's. Power in numbers might get the interest to find some answers..

I like the way you think. I've tried to get in touch with the DJ's including Jellybean Benitez, who were a part of the scene - to try to piece something together. I know how to reach him (did so when they were in the middle of launching Studio 54 on Sirius) -- but just haven't gotten very far. Would love if you'd reach out - or if you know other families of girls missing from that time, I'd love their contact info to reach out ??

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2012/12/15/20433941.html
NEW YORK - Convicted California serial killer Rodney Alcala, sometimes known as the “Dating Game“ killer thanks to his appearance on the television game show more than 30 years ago, pleaded guilty on Friday to murdering two New York women in the 1970s"

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2012/12/15/20433941.html
NEW YORK - Convicted California serial killer Rodney Alcala, sometimes known as the “Dating Game“ killer thanks to his appearance on the television game show more than 30 years ago, pleaded guilty on Friday to murdering two New York women in the 1970s"

While there are eery similarities between Alcala and his victims, I doubt that she died at his hands -- he was imprisoned when she vanished.

Bumping for Judy and wondering if somehow, some way- she is still alive somewhere and unable to find her way home.

good news is that Judy is not officially listed in the missing persons files in the Ontario Provincial Police files -- just over the border from NY --

While there are eery similarities between Alcala and his victims, I doubt that she died at his hands -- he was imprisoned when she vanished.

I wonder if you could use him as leverage to get Judy mentioned, though; since Alcala used to hang around at clubs and stuff, he could have known her, and he almost certainly caused other young women to disappear. The connection might make it more interesting to NYC area reporters.

Jackie Gallucci wrote the piece on Judy in the Long Island Press http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/08/18/still-looking-for-judy-judith-erin-odonnell/ that was tied to the Long Island Serial Killer. I suppose I could work the Alcala angle - the problem is that it doesn't work timeline-wise, but maybe, as the timeline didn't work with the LISK either (the author was excited to talk to a family member of someone who had walked the same mile as the vix, none of the LISK families wanted to talk)

I have a friend who has written for the NYTimes - and have talked to her about writing a story - but Jackie did such an *amazing* job that she doesn't want to re-write the same article - and there's really no *new* stuff to add. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. Do you know anyone at the NYTimes or other media outlets? If anyone reading this *does* and wants to pitch the story -- by all means *DO!* :)

Jackie Gallucci wrote the piece on Judy in the Long Island Press http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/08/18/still-looking-for-judy-judith-erin-odonnell/ that was tied to the Long Island Serial Killer. I suppose I could work the Alcala angle - the problem is that it doesn't work timeline-wise, but maybe, as the timeline didn't work with the LISK either (the author was excited to talk to a family member of someone who had walked the same mile as the vix, none of the LISK families wanted to talk)

I have a friend who has written for the NYTimes - and have talked to her about writing a story - but Jackie did such an *amazing* job that she doesn't want to re-write the same article - and there's really no *new* stuff to add. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. Do you know anyone at the NYTimes or other media outlets? If anyone reading this *does* and wants to pitch the story -- by all means *DO!* :)

Unfortunately I don't have any resources like that. Yes, Jackie does some wonderful work at LI Press, doesn't she?

What an amazing article, should be reprinted or turned into doc.imo!
Hope it is okay to paste from article (so many intertesting tidbits to choose from) Wondering if any further info. was received concerning "Angel" and "Princess Doe"?

“I remember that she was hanging around one guy from New York City. She mentioned him a lot,” says Rebecca. “I always wondered whether he was questioned by the police, or if he had anything to do with Judy’s disappearance. When Judy disappeared I made it a point to remember his name—I’ve remembered it for 30 years.”

Maureen took this information to investigators but they said it was simply too big a task to go through everyone by that name in New York.

There are nearly 200 Rivera’s, 13 of which have the legal name of “Angel”—Angel could also be a nickname—listed on the NYS Sex Offender Registry and 51 Angel Rivera’s with current criminal court cases pending in the New York State Court System.

Add that information to the fact that there are more than 3,000 women in the United States, listed by the Department of Justice that are currently reported missing under suspicious circumstances, any of whom could be connected to Judy’s disappearance—or not—and the possibilities are not only overwhelming, they seem endless. Maureen was gradually sifting through all of them, when she came across the case of “Princess Doe,” a young girl found dead in a New Jersey cemetery in 1982—just a few months and year after she had said goodbye to Judy"

What an amazing article, should be reprinted or turned into doc.imo!
Hope it is okay to paste from article (so many intertesting tidbits to choose from) Wondering if any further info. was received concerning "Angel" and "Princess Doe"?

“I remember that she was hanging around one guy from New York City. She mentioned him a lot,” says Rebecca. “I always wondered whether he was questioned by the police, or if he had anything to do with Judy’s disappearance. When Judy disappeared I made it a point to remember his name—I’ve remembered it for 30 years.”

Maureen took this information to investigators but they said it was simply too big a task to go through everyone by that name in New York.

There are nearly 200 Rivera’s, 13 of which have the legal name of “Angel”—Angel could also be a nickname—listed on the NYS Sex Offender Registry and 51 Angel Rivera’s with current criminal court cases pending in the New York State Court System.

Add that information to the fact that there are more than 3,000 women in the United States, listed by the Department of Justice that are currently reported missing under suspicious circumstances, any of whom could be connected to Judy’s disappearance—or not—and the possibilities are not only overwhelming, they seem endless. Maureen was gradually sifting through all of them, when she came across the case of “Princess Doe,” a young girl found dead in a New Jersey cemetery in 1982—just a few months and year after she had said goodbye to Judy"

There was a follow-up to the Princess Doe case, I want to say it ran a month ago - she is believed to be from the American Southwest based on DNA evidence, though her identity is still not known.

Angel Rivera - the name sends shivers down my spine. It took guts for Judy's friends to come forward -- a few did -- and I am so glad they did. Nothing has ever come of that name, though. Even though there was one incarcerated, I don't understand why they can't just ask him questions ? Might he know who had something to do with this ? He was an older guy - in his 20s while the rest of the college kids were in their late teens / early 20s, maybe. We believe he was her supplier for drugs in Oswego, and likely the one who turned her on to prostitution, though that will never be provable.

Hi. I think in the newspaper piece, they mentioned a ring with r grandma's initials. Have u checked that out? I am so sorry for r pain. I hope u find her asap.

Hi. I think in the newspaper piece, they mentioned a ring with r grandma's initials. Have u checked that out? I am so sorry for r pain. I hope u find her asap.

it was a signet ring, with the initals P Mc G, which would correspond to my maternal grandmothers married name. There are many things about that case that make sense and fit - many do not. No one remembers the signet ring - but that doesn't rule out Judy; she could have bought it at a flea market - or bartered or stolen it. She adored my grandparents. (her first cross country hitch hiking was to go to their 50th wedding anniversary)

well, the latest Doe that was brought to my attention in Ontario has been ruled out by dentals - and the CODIS database does have the LISK Does' information -- Judy is continuing to be ruled out of cases. While this may seem like a bummer, it's good, because it's one less case I'll look at twice or three times. A reminder: ANY case brought forward -- I will follow - I'll call the precinct directly and speak with the investigating officer. Thank you!

http://www.oswegoconnect.org/s/1552...d=1244&ecid=1244&crid=0&calpgid=61&calcid=990

"“It was a great opportunity to get press for my sister,” said Sanchez, who has become an advocate for missing persons during a decades-long search for her sister, Judith Erin O’Donnell. Last seen in November 1980, Judy has influenced Sanchez to pursue her passions. “Judy has provided the lens. The rest of the noise and distractions fall off and you can focus on what’s important once you find it.”

The special episode of “Chopped” premieres 8 p.m. EST Feb. 24 and will air again in the show’s regular 10 p.m. EST Tuesday time slot Feb. 26.

Talk about the show and offer Sanchez support using #OswegoTV on Twitter. Sanchez will be live tweeting during the Feb. 26 airing using #yys, a nod to her brand, yummyyummyschlurp.

Maureen O'Donnell Sanchez '87 will appear on the Food Network's "Chopped" competition cooking show Feb. 24 and 26."

I'll be on Food Network's CHOPPED this weekend -- and I'll talk about missing persons, my sister in particular. Tune in Sunday (2/24) 8PM EST or Tuesday (2/26) 10PM EST Check your cable listings!! Missing persons in PRIME TIME!

I am very proud of you my dear. You are a wonderful sister.

Look at the front of the forums page, www.websleuths.com/forums and click on the "Announcement" link at the top of each forum.

Your information about your appearance is in both places.

Please check back in and let us know how things went.

Take care,
Tricia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox