Deceased/Not Found MD - Linda, 21, & Lori Peugeot, 2, LaVale, 22 Sept 1969

Because of the mishandling of the blood and the uncertainty that the blood submitted for testing was even Sharon's, nobody can really be ruled out as a match.

For what it's worth, Jim Hollock gave a talk on the Hoss case at our college last summer. (I am adding a link already given in a post above) http://216.15.229.16/news/full_story.cfm?story_id=16609

Hoss went to his death refusing to say where Lori's body was left. I am sure Hollock would be willing to respond to emails. I have his email address somewhere--or I will ask the head of our Crim. Justice dept. for it when school is in session next week.

kim playfair said:
I am in constant contact with Jim Hollock, are there questions you have for him? I will be happy to relay this message. He is the absolute in Hoss history.

It makes perfect sense that you would be in touch with Jim. I was just blown away by his presentation last summer; I couldn't stay for the whole question and answer thing, but I wrote him a note and he quite kindly replied to me. In doing some research on another case, I had googled Hoss because the case I had in mind was prior to his 1969 spree--he seemed a person capable of abducting a young girl-and of course turned up the articles by Jim and about his work. Then one day my colleague told me an expert on Stanley Hoss was talking to his class. I was a college freshman in 1969 and I remember vividly how afraid everyone was until he was captured, and so I couldn't miss his talk.

You are so kind to offer to ask him questions for me, but I was thinking more of other people who are interested in Hoss and his bizarre criminal history. Until Jim gets his book out, there really will be no accounts that demonstrate the sheer range of evil things he did.

One question Jim can't do is get inside Hoss's head and figure out why he wouldn't have killed Linda and Lori at the same time--or how he travelled any distance at all with a small child. I wonder if his silence on the location(s) of their bodies might have been cover for the fact that Lori was NOT dead. Just the sort of twisted thing he would think of--to let people THINK she was dead when she wasn't.

PS--we are both up way too late tonight!!

kim playfair said:
Yes, I would have been, I never got to meet Linda and Lori, I was born after their deaths. There is such a minute possibility that Lori is Sharon, but you just never know. Both Sharon and Lori's stories are completely insane.

Kim, I hope that your uncle and your family get some answers soon. Are there any updates that you are aware of? I've followed the Sharon Marshall case for a few years now and Lori Peugeot is the first missing child that I really feel "could be" Sharon.

Many prayers to your family. Dredging up this horrible tragedy has got to be so painful for them. :angel:

Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers, NewMom.
I am the only person in our family who has any interest or tolerance in following up on their case, the loss and the lack of closure for them is more than they can take. Anyone who knew Linda and Lori loved them. They were so loved that it hurts to talk about them for most of my relatives.
I am working with some amazing, truly good people to get their cases entered into the proper places like NCMEC, NCIC, etc.
There is no proof or evidence to prove that Lori is Sharon, and most who know Linda and Lori's case well are skeptical and Hoss was a diabolical man. But there is always that minute chance, since they have never been found.

There was mention of DNA possibly being compared to Sharon and I know that takes a long time, have you heard anything back from the LE division on this matter Kim?

No, this hasn't been completed yet. This is a long process because there are many persons who have to be contacted as of right now.

i still have that doubt that the blood we have on hand is even sharons. iwish we could get a soild true sample of dna from sharon to truely rule out anyone that was tested against sharon. is it possible floyd had switched out her blood? got a hold of some random womens blood and switched out the samples? hopefully we will get answers soon as to weather lori is sharon or not

Won't the court allow for an exhumation of Sharons body so that they can retrieve what DNA they need, I heard they can get it from the pulp of the tooth.

From what I have seen, it would take someone with a whole lot of clout to get any body exhumed. As far as we have heard in the past OK city is not exactly cooperative. Someone would have to do an awful lot of convincing, wouldn't they!?

What about a petition to the court from ALOT of concerned citizens and possibly someone from the FBI that worked on this case and possibly still does, here's my theory: Filing a petition with the court with petition in hand of several citizens from all over the country, for the purpose of obtaining DNA for comparitive purposes that will inevitably one day solve this case is of extreme importance and it does not hurt to have the news media on hand to witness and film the decision of the court judge if he/she permits such an exhumation and I am wondering if AMW would help in this plight of all things that would be denied it would be embarrasing I think to deny an exhumation for the purpose of retrieveing DNA to keep on hand at an independant lab (for some reason I don't trust it to be kept in OK city police dept possesion) this I realize will take time BUT as long as we are researching and investigating this case anyway then we might as well start something big and keep it going, I don't believe that Sharon or Michael deserve any less.

mel36 said:
What about a petition to the court from ALOT of concerned citizens and possibly someone from the FBI that worked on this case and possibly still does, here's my theory: Filing a petition with the court with petition in hand of several citizens from all over the country, for the purpose of obtaining DNA for comparitive purposes that will inevitably one day solve this case...
Any petition or request for exhumation would have to conform strictly with the laws of the State where the body is buried. There are procedures to follow and laws which govern those procedures. Normally, and exhumation requires the permission of the next of kin, and also a solid reason behind the request.

In this case, it is obvious that no one knows who her next of kin is. There may be some provision for doing this as you suggest, but it must be researched and stated specifically in the petition.

There is also the matter of cost to consider, as this would be another barrier to overcome.

A case for exhumation would have to be worded in such a way that the origional DNA is put into doubt and a list of possible matches should also be submitted, along with statements from those missing persons' next of kin.

When the paternity test was done by Roche Biomedical Labs they concluded that Sharon was definately the mother of Michael but that Floyd could not in any way be the father. I wonder how long the lab keeps records or if they do on Paternity tests. I might have to make a call to just ask them a general question pertaining to the above without giving names. what do you guys think?

mel36 said:
When the paternity test was done by Roche Biomedical Labs they concluded that Sharon was definately the mother of Michael but that Floyd could not in any way be the father. I wonder how long the lab keeps records or if they do on Paternity tests. I might have to make a call to just ask them a general question pertaining to the above without giving names. what do you guys think?
You could certainly ask about their procedures. I think that DNA labs which do paternity tests tend to have strict limitations on what is done with samples and how far tests are conducted.

For instance, I know that one such lab would do a two-way or a three-way comparison of DNA (for paternity determination), but they requried that it all testing be done at the same time for those samples. Of course, all parties had to agree to such testing in advance.

There are probably strict legal requirements and regulations regarding DNA paternity testing. And storage of DNA samples past the comparison and report is probably NOT done. A typical Paternity test will look at several specific map areas of samples for comparison, and not at ALL points. Basically, they look close enough to see if there is a match or not, and then stop looking and make their report.

I am speaking from the perspective of normal paternity tests conducted for consenting persons - not from the point of a police investigation which compells the testing. So in the case of Sharon, Floyd, and the baby different rules or laws might apply.

Richard said:
Any petition or request for exhumation would have to conform strictly with the laws of the State where the body is buried. There are procedures to follow and laws which govern those procedures. Normally, and exhumation requires the permission of the next of kin, and also a solid reason behind the request.

In this case, it is obvious that no one knows who her next of kin is. There may be some provision for doing this as you suggest, but it must be researched and stated specifically in the petition.

There is also the matter of cost to consider, as this would be another barrier to overcome.

A case for exhumation would have to be worded in such a way that the origional DNA is put into doubt and a list of possible matches should also be submitted, along with statements from those missing persons' next of kin.
I contacted the FBI and submitted a copy of a letter from Jerry Nance of NCMEC to another member here stating that Sharon's DNA that was submitted to NCMEC was not a good sample. Before they got it from OCPD it was lost, then miraculously found and had not been stored properly, therefore rendering it degraded. The letter also stated that funding would be provided for an exhumation but OK LE showed no interest.

I added the fact that there are a number of families that are agonizing over not knowing whether Sharon was their daughter, sister, etc... and that many cases were falsely excluded by that degraded DNA sample. I didn't send a list of names but said one could be provided if necessary. I told them I didn't know which agency had the authority to order the exhumation so I was asking them to advise me who to contact or take the matter on themselves since this effects cases from all over the country.

Of course I haven't heard anything back from them. I will post if/when I do.

When did you make the request itsreenw?
itsreenw said:
I contacted the FBI and submitted a copy of a letter from Jerry Nance of NCMEC to another member here stating that Sharon's DNA that was submitted to NCMEC was not a good sample. Before they got it from OCPD it was lost, then miraculously found and had not been stored properly, therefore rendering it degraded. The letter also stated that funding would be provided for an exhumation but OK LE showed no interest.

I added the fact that there are a number of families that are agonizing over not knowing whether Sharon was their daughter, sister, etc... and that many cases were falsely excluded by that degraded DNA sample. I didn't send a list of names but said one could be provided if necessary. I told them I didn't know which agency had the authority to order the exhumation so I was asking them to advise me who to contact or take the matter on themselves since this effects cases from all over the country.

Of course I haven't heard anything back from them. I will post if/when I do.

mel36 said:
When did you make the request itsreenw?
The end of last month. I am searching through my emails so I can post a copy of what I sent.

This article discusses Linda and Lori's case and has details about a book being written (in 2003) by author Hollock about Stanley Barton Hoss. Photos of the author and of Hoss can be seen by clicking on the below link.

-----------------------------------
Friday, October 03, 2003
Corrections manager chronicling convicted slayer's saga
Pennsylvania man didn't stand trial for local killingsSam Shawver

Times-News Staffwriter
CUMBERLAND — It was Sept. 22, 1969, and the next day would be 2-year-old Lori Mae Peugeot’s birthday. She had just finished some birthday shopping with mother Linda at King’s Department Store (now Giant Eagle supermarket) in LaVale. Mother and daughter were living with relatives in Bel Air while Linda’s husband, Gerald, was doing a tour of duty with the U.S. Navy. But this would prove to be Linda and Lori’s final shopping trip.
From a vehicle he had stolen that day in Wheeling, W.Va., 26-year-old Stanley Barton Hoss anxiously watched as mother and daughter crossed the LaVale parking lot. He was apparently carrying the same handgun that he had used to kill a police officer in Verona, Pa., three days earlier. As Lori Mae and Linda climbed into their late-model Pontiac GTO, Hoss, brandishing the weapon, walked up to the car and demanded a ride. The last words heard from Linda were, “All right, but you won’t hurt us, will you?”

Hoss ordered the woman to drive him to Canada, but somewhere along U.S. Route 219 in Pennsylvania, concern for her daughter’s safety caused Linda to pull off the roadway. When she told Hoss that she could go no farther, he shot and killed her, dumped her body into the trunk, and placed Lori Mae in the back seat.

Some days later he also murdered the child. The bodies were never found, and Hoss, who was captured in Iowa within two weeks and later confessed to the kidnapping and murders, was never brought to trial for killing Linda and Lori Mae Peugeot due to a Maryland court ruling that authorities violated his right to a speedy trial.

“The Maryland Court of Special Appeals said Hoss’ rights were trampled on and the kidnapping charges against him must be dismissed,” said Jim Hollock, author of a new book tentatively titled, “It’s a Hanging Matter,” chronicling the criminal life of Hoss. Hollock is a unit manager for the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections at Western Penitentiary in Pittsburgh.

“This is not a ‘Texas Chainsaw Massacre’ type of book,” he said. “Although Stanley Hoss is a common thread throughout the book, I can talk about issues like media coverage, capital punishment, ethics and penal systems. We can discuss law officers of those days who were often local boys with few qualifications.”

In his book, which is about half-finished, Hollock traces Hoss, who grew up in Tarentum, Pa., from his earliest misdemeanors to a daring escape from an Allegheny County (Pa.) jail where he was being held on a rape charge, and on to the murderous rampage that led to the deaths of Verona police officer Joseph Zanella and Linda and Lori Peugeot.

Although he was never tried for the Peugeot murders, Hoss was convicted for the cop killing and sentenced to life in prison. But his killings didn’t end there. In 1973, at Western Penitentiary, Hoss conspired with fellow inmates in the brutal murder of corrections officer Lt. Walter Peterson. He was transferred to an isolation facility in Philadelphia where, in 1978, Hoss hanged himself.

“He started out as a local in the Pittsburgh area,” Hollock told teacher Roni Ringler’s criminal justice class at Fort Hill High School on Thursday morning. Hollock was in the Cumberland area to gather more background information for his book.

“Hoss was a sixth-grade dropout who became a burglar, thief and ruffian, but was not considered dangerous then,” said Hollock. But within eight months in 1969, Hoss was on the FBI’s “Ten Most Wanted” list and became the subject of an intense nationwide manhunt. He said the Hoss story has continued to resurface at various times over the past 34 years.

“We hear about murders all the time,” Hollock told the students. “We watch the evening news and hear that someone has killed someone else. Then we get up from the television, go make a sandwich and soon forget the name of the killer as we go on with our lives. “But some murders reach such notoriety that they stick with us, hanging like a mist over the mountains,” he said. “That seems to be the case with Stanley Hoss.”

LINK:
http://216.15.229.16/news/full_story.cfm?story_id=16609

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500